ADVERTISEMENT

107.5 and the lack of callers

Also someone on 107.5 should educate Pearson about age discrimination. Everytime I listen he makes at least one negative remark about aging.
Yeah, all one needs to do is listen to the ads to understand the demographic is middle age-to-senior men.

The Gamecock Larry vs. Clemson Sean feud a few years ago on the morning show was about the best they show every got. They actually had some good banter. Other than that....ehhh. It ain’t what it used to be. I’ll tune into Heaths Top 5 at 5 and then I’m good.

Did he say there were no callers, or was he just so enamored with the sound of his own voice that he just didn't take any? (Not being combative - honest question, as I wasn't listening to the show.)
In general, I'd rather hear more callers than listen to the host ramble and ramble....as they tend to do on 107.5

I used to work for a large station in the upstate.....if he had a caller, he would have put him on. Not a good sign. However, if the ad revenue is strong and the ratings are good....they won’t care. But lack of callers eventually leads to lack of listeners and bad ratings follow

Reactions: 92Pony
As a nurse, I agree. I think he is definitely garbling his speech more. ( Not sure garbling is a actually a word lol.)
I was kinda hoping it was my hearing: Larry’s a good guy and definitely funny, but his speech sounds like he’s had some health issues. His speech sounds somewhat halting, stumbling over words, slower and weaker than I recall not all that long ago. Of course, he’s around 85 or 86, if memory serves. I hope I make it that far... aging is not for the faint of heart, lol!

I used to work for a large station in the upstate.....if he had a caller, he would have put him on. Not a good sign. However, if the ad revenue is strong and the ratings are good....they won’t care. But lack of callers eventually leads to lack of listeners and bad ratings follow

I don't think ratings and revenue is good. If you remember this summer the hosts took off for weeks. They reduced their pay significantly from what I understand during the start of Covid.

Maybe the station has recovered but fact is sports radio or any radio at the local level is a horrible industry to be in. Podcasts have taken away many listeners.

Sports radio in this market peaked around 2008. 107.5 had just come on and Mike Morgan was on. WVOC had a full day with Teddy and Rick, Matt and Tim, Carey Rich, Korblut's mid day show, and Jonathan Reynolds. ESPN Radio had Rich Taylor who probably got the most people talking than any host in this market ever has.

Now it is one station and 70 year old Teddy nearly dying in studio. That's it. If I am a kid like Pearson I am looking for another industry as this one won't be around when he is 50

Geez, I like Pearson. He can talk about most things and keep them interesting. He also produced the 1984 podcast.

There's literally segments where someone will call in and read what happened this day in history.

I'm not as young as Pearson, but I do like the younger energy. The guests seem to like him, too.

Reactions: Jon Snow
Geez, I like Pearson. He can talk about most things and keep them interesting. He also produced the 1984 podcast.

There's literally segments where someone will call in and read what happened this day in history.

I'm not as young as Pearson, but I do like the younger energy. The guests seem to like him, too.
It seems he toes the company line (the official USC talking points) less than the other hosts. ie: He speaks his mind. The others seem to be in the camp of Ray.

Pearson does pretty well overall I think he has a pretty good perspective on the program and he uses a bunch of words I have to look up but I agree he goes long on his monologues in that noon show I think they'd do better with a co host. Heath somehow does a solo show that works it doesn't come off as a monologue

Bottom line....
I almost started another post to make this stmt. It doesn't seem to me that 107.5 is even trying to be interesting.

We live in a college town. We have a ton of interesting explayers around. We have a supposedly ( I really don't know lol ) great broadcast journalism school around.
Imo back during the Holtz days, 107.5 used to have guys on who could banter back and forth. I can't remember one guy's name but he was hilarious. Ryan Brewer used to be on with another guy. They were great together.

Now we just have Jay who just wants to talk about his likes/dislikes in music, his daughters, his home renovations, etc....
We have Tommy who, bless his heart is still talking about the past ( and I mean way past) as much as the future. And we have Pearson on for a complete hour by himself at noon which is imo boring as heck.

I can't say anything about the morning show cause I don't listen. But from 12-4 is awlful to me.

Imo back during the Holtz days, 107.5 used to have guys on who could banter back and forth. I can't remember one guy's name but he was hilarious. Ryan Brewer used to be on with another guy. They were great together.
107.5 didn't come out until 2007, but I remember the shows you're talking about maybe. Brian Custar and Lane Wofford, The Cheap Seats? I always liked that one.

It takes a little more than "find a broadcast major" to have a good show -- take a listen to a sports show on WUSC for instance. They bring the passion but their youth is definitely showing.

I don't disagree with your overall point; just two points I had while reading it.

107.5 didn't come out until 2007, but I remember the shows you're talking about maybe. Brian Custar and Lane Wofford, The Cheap Seats? I always liked that one.

It takes a little more than "find a broadcast major" to have a good show -- take a listen to a sports show on WUSC for instance. They bring the passion but their youth is definitely showing.

I don't disagree with your overall point; just two points I had while reading it.
Yes omg!!!! Brian Custard!!! I wonder where he is at now. He was hysterical and Lane was great as well.

Bottom line....
I almost started another post to make this stmt. It doesn't seem to me that 107.5 is even trying to be interesting.

We live in a college town. We have a ton of interesting explayers around. We have a supposedly ( I really don't know lol ) great broadcast journalism school around.

Now we just have Jay who just wants to talk about his likes/dislikes in music, his daughters, his home renovations, etc....
We have Tommy who, bless his heart is still talking about the past ( and I mean way past) as much as the future. And we have Pearson on for a complete hour by himself at noon which is imo boring as heck.

I can't say anything about the morning show cause I don't listen. But from 12-4 is awlful to me.

Lane Watford went on to do better things as have a lot of guys who did sports talk. Most seem to get out of the business by the time they hit 30. Lane I think works with Ryan, Jonathan Reynolds is a preacher, Carey Rich runs a rec department for Richland County, Will King is a realtor, Eric G is a lawyer, and Kmac works in insurance.

Very few stay in it since the pay is awful . I would imagine Pearson moves away from it soon to make more money when he gets a family going. Same for the Patrick guy.

Heath is one of the few lifers but he doesn't have kids and doesn't seem too concerned about money. Plus, at this point what else would a 50 year old who has nothing but radio on his resume do?

Gunter works for his dad so he can sort of play around and do what he wants as his dad is very successful.

The really talented guys moved on to bigger things. Jim Powell is the voice of the Braves, Mike Morgan and Matt Barrie work for ESPN. Rich Taylor worked in Vegas before coming back to Columbia

Then your legit former athletes like Corey Miller and Rick Sanford are off the air too.

Point is that our market gets young sports radio guys who leave the business once they get families if they don't make it big. That's why radio in this town sucks.

No one wants to end up like Teddy Heffner begging for advertisers and collapsing in studio at 70

Reactions: coolcock2001
I will say that I don't know the first thing about the business.

However, I'd like to see more digital content from the station. Very little can be listened to at another time. This may have to do with advertisers, but it seems the whole model is outdated. 107.5 hardly touches social media. I hardly know what the studio looks like. It's not easy to fill 3 hours at a time, I understand.

Lane Watford went on to do better things as have a lot of guys who did sports talk. Most seem to get out of the business by the time they hit 30. Lane I think works with Ryan, Jonathan Reynolds is a preacher, Carey Rich runs a rec department for Richland County, Will King is a realtor, Eric G is a lawyer, and Kmac works in insurance.

Very few stay in it since the pay is awful . I would imagine Pearson moves away from it soon to make more money when he gets a family going. Same for the Patrick guy.

Heath is one of the few lifers but he doesn't have kids and doesn't seem too concerned about money. Plus, at this point what else would a 50 year old who has nothing but radio on his resume do?

Gunter works for his dad so he can sort of play around and do what he wants as his dad is very successful.

The really talented guys moved on to bigger things. Jim Powell is the voice of the Braves, Mike Morgan and Matt Barrie work for ESPN. Rich Taylor worked in Vegas before coming back to Columbia

I think you pretty much nailed it, although I wouldn't put Rich Taylor's name in the same sentence as Barrie and Morgan.

I think you pretty much nailed it, although I wouldn't put Rich Taylor's name in the same sentence as Barrie and Morgan.

Well he got in a big market and did have a show that created a lot of talk. I think he was talented, but he had some personal stuff happening that held him back

I will say that I don't know the first thing about the business.

However, I'd like to see more digital content from the station. Very little can be listened to at another time. This may have to do with advertisers, but it seems the whole model is outdated. 107.5 hardly touches social media. I hardly know what the studio looks like. It's not easy to fill 3 hours at a time, I understand.
They should do a Facebook/YouTube live sorta thing.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
Did he say there were no callers, or was he just so enamored with the sound of his own voice that he just didn't take any? (Not being combative - honest question, as I wasn't listening to the show.)
In general, I'd rather hear more callers than listen to the host ramble and ramble....as they tend to do on 107.5
I would say mostly the latter, but I've also always been fascinated by this criticism. If I'm doing a show by myself, and I don't drone on about something, then we just have dead air. If the thought is that I can't carry a solo show by myself like Heath and people would like to hear a second voice/opinion, that's a very valid criticism, and we'll work on it (either I'll have to get better or I'll bring in another co-host).

As far as the callers, and I'll take advantage of this to make a little PSA, but I'm the only person in here, so unless we're in a break, I can't answer the phone (or, again, dead air). During the other shows, Jen/Patrick, Dave, or I are available to answer phones during the show, and even when I was doing the show with Erik, I could answer the phone while he was talking. This isn't a complaint, simply an explanation. Hope y'all keep listening and calling! I do like second opinions and pushback on whatever topic I'm on in a given day.

Tl;dr: if you're listening to the Extra Point and want to call, do so during a break, please!

I would say mostly the latter, but I've also always been fascinated by this criticism. If I'm doing a show by myself, and I don't drone on about something, then we just have dead air. If the thought is that I can't carry a solo show by myself like Heath and people would like to hear a second voice/opinion, that's a very valid criticism, and we'll work on it (either I'll have to get better or I'll bring in another co-host).

As far as the callers, and I'll take advantage of this to make a little PSA, but I'm the only person in here, so unless we're in a break, I can't answer the phone (or, again, dead air). During the other shows, Jen/Patrick, Dave, or I are available to answer phones during the show, and even when I was doing the show with Erik, I could answer the phone while he was talking. This isn't a complaint, simply an explanation. Hope y'all keep listening and calling! I do like second opinions and pushback on whatever topic I'm on in a given day.

Tl;dr: if you're listening to the Extra Point and want to call, do so during a break, please!
fwiw Pearson I think you are the second best personality on the station (I really enjoy Heath)

ps: Still waiting for you to cut off your own arm with Lawrence not starting the first ND game

Reactions: Pearson Fowler
fwiw Pearson I think you are the second best personality on the station (I really enjoy Heath)

ps: Still waiting for you to cut off your own arm with Lawrence not starting the first ND game
Haha whoops...that's going to be a lot harder than donning all orange for Clemson's playoff game this year

At least you don't have to put up with 105.5 "The Roar" n the upstate. Every time I have switched it over there in the last two weeks, they have been talking about Deshaun Watson's situation in Texas.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster

Thanks for responding Pearson.
I definitely think a cohost would be a huge improvement to your show. How bout Ryan Brewer or bring back in Lane for an hour?

Then when Jay comes on please please please stop age bashing him. He's 50 yo and you think that's really old. We get it. There's only one alternative to growing older though and I don't think you want that option.
Finally, you have a great vocabulary. But do you know what the average reading comprehension is in the US? 6th grade. So dumb it down.
And for you and Jay both stop the endless "0mg this is the best band ever.' No one cares who your favorite band is.
Those changes alone would be a huge improvement.

I definitely think a cohost would be a huge improvement to your show. How bout Ryan Brewer or bring back in Lane for an hour?

Then when Jay comes on please please please stop age bashing him. He's 50 yo and you think that's really old. We get it. There's only one alternative to growing older though and I don't think you want that option.
Finally, you have a great vocabulary. But do you know what the average reading comprehension is in the US? 6th grade. So dumb it down.
And for you and Jay both stop the endless "0mg this is the best band ever.' No one cares who your favorite band is.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

We've had conversations about bringing someone else into the fold, but we don't want to rush it if we do choose to go in that direction. Erik has a variety of interests and areas in which he can comfortably dialogue, and that broad foundation made him an excellent complement. Finding someone who wants to do it, can do it, and would be a good fit for the show 365 days a year, not just during a basketball season or football season is the goal.

I hope you know that I'm not ageist, as some have suggested, but I promise the ribbing between Jay and me is good natured. He makes fun of me for being an infant just as much as I do him being a fossil.

Less music talk - we can do that! Top Five Fridays obviously excepted.

The host doesn't have the ability to take phone calls? Not that he is any good, but guys like Teddy Heffner run their own board and answer their own phones. I can't imagine 107.5, which seems to have far more production can't do something that 80 year old Teddy Heffner can

For the most part, I have stopped listening to 107.5 except for Heath's show. But today I turned it on for Pearson's show and I felt sorry for him. There was not ONE caller while I listened. To be fair, I only listened for about 20-30 minutes cause I just got bored of listening to him. He has to go on and on cause he doesn't have a co-host anymore and no one called in. It was brutual.
I wonder if 107.5 has any plans to add a 2nd host during this hour.
What time does he come on?

The host doesn't have the ability to take phone calls? Not that he is any good, but guys like Teddy Heffner run their own board and answer their own phones. I can't imagine 107.5, which seems to have far more production can't do something that 80 year old Teddy Heffner can
He's really 70, but I know that you were just making a point.

Teddy's a warhorse, got to give him credit for doing what he's done for so long by his lonesome! What did Kornhieser say, I could do 8 hours in spanish!

Reactions: coolcock2001
Teddy's a warhorse, got to give him credit for doing what he's done for so long by his lonesome! What did Kornhieser say, I could do 8 hours in spanish!

I feel bad for Teddy at times. Poor guy is just scraping by in an industry that isn't exactly what it once was. Guy struggles to keep advertisers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT