ADVERTISEMENT

AJC says CWM is 'part of the problem'

If you appear to attack the media in anyways, you are going to get a response like that.

Remember what happen to Spurrier?

The media has become a dirty little club where only clicks and eyes matter than actually reporting something worthy of reporting.

Anchorman 2 actually hits home a little too much. The media doesn't report news anymore. They have decided that their primary job is to make the news.

Remember this is the same AJC that said CWM was a mistake hire, that he couldn't recruit here. This was after our recruiting class (in the 70s when he was hired) jumped to the 20s by the "end" of that recruiting cycle. You must take everything thing they say with regard to Carolina with a large grain of salt.

Remember this is the same AJC that said CWM was a mistake hire, that he couldn't recruit here. This was after our recruiting class (in the 70s when he was hired) jumped to the 20s by the "end" of that recruiting cycle. You must take everything thing they say with regard to Carolina with a large grain of salt.

I believe horses call it a salt lick it’s about the size of a lunch box and maybe a better source

Notice how they avoided his answer from yesterday? The fake news media loves to make a story where there isn't one.

There may be many parts to the problem, but Muschamp isn't one of them. On the other hand the AJC, ESPN, CNN, and most of the other major media outlets are definitely the bulk of the problem in this country - not just in sports. When you can lie with impunity with little or no facts and only use "anonymous sources" as a basis, this creates an environment where the truth does not matter. The only thing that matters is to advance one's own agenda. This is why there is little trust in the news media today. This is really a sad state of affairs.

There may be many parts to the problem, but Muschamp isn't one of them. On the other hand the AJC, ESPN, CNN, and most of the other major media outlets are definitely the bulk of the problem in this country - not just in sports. When you can lie with impunity with little or no facts and only use "anonymous sources" as a basis, this creates an environment where the truth does not matter. The only thing that matters is to advance one's own agenda. This is why there is little trust in the news media today. This is really a sad state of affairs.
Man that sounds familiar. Seems like I've heard this somewhere. If I could only place it.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
Not even giving them the satisfaction of a click. CWM isn't perfect by any means, but he's closer to "what's right with cfb" than what's wrong with it. Smh.
I agree with you that CWM does things right and i would feel very comfortable sending my child into his care. BUT when you take a stance that implies your profession is beyond criticism it becomes problematic.
At the least Durkin has inadequate medical procedures in place that resulted in a young man's death and that HAS TO BE CRITIQUED AND FIXED. At the worst there was horrorific negligence and a "toxic culture" that cannot be fixed from the inside.
To deem someone beyond questioning was a bad look for CWM and he backed away from it. I know he said It out of loyalty but nobody is beyond examination when some tragedy like this happens.

Last edited:
I agree with you that CWM does things right and i would feel very comfortable sending my child into his care. BUT when you take a stance that implies your profession is beyond criticism it becomes problematic.
At the least Durkin has inadequate medical procedures in place that resulted in a young man's death and that HAS TO BE CRITIQUED AND FIXED. At the worst there was horrorific negligence and a "toxic culture" that cannot be fixed from the inside.
To deem someone beyond questioning was a bad look for CWM and he backed away from it. I know he said out of loyalty but nobody is beyond examination when some tragedy like this happens.
Fair enough, good points...

Reactions: ddw1263
If that’s the case, then every football coach is part of the problem...

The media would like to eliminate football as a whole...

It represents real men who love the game and replace it with social experiements like changing men into wussies..
Every coach is a part of the problem. Just like every lawyer, doctor, minister,teacher, banker, and politician are part of the problem in their profession. Institutions and professions are as flawed and sinful as the people in them.
I believe CWM to be very honorable and caring. But when you have a problem you have to address it. When you smell like shit, take a bath, don't blame your spouse for having a too sensitive nose.

Just keep your mouth closed. Problem solved.

How is it our coaches that always screw up what to say when? Meanwhile there's a coach in the upstate that can't shut up and never seems to find himself in these situations.

He was blasted on sports talk radio here this morning in Charlotte. Not a good look for him unfortunately.

How many of the "media experts" on this board have studied the communications field? Read up on the history of journalism? A lot of people here make blanket statements that don't seem very informed. The media has problems -- these did not appear in the last few years. When did big corporate interests not own the major newspapers, networks, etc? When did powerful people not use the media to put their own spin on things?

How many of the "media experts" on this board have studied the communications field? Read up on the history of journalism? A lot of people here make blanket statements that don't seem very informed. The media has problems -- these did not appear in the last few years. When did big corporate interests not own the major newspapers, networks, etc? When did powerful people not use the media to put their own spin on things?
I agree with the tenor of your post, but not sure how it relates to this article...

AJC is sticking up for their media buddies and social media is proving they will throw gas on any fire. CWM's reset was perfect. I'm sure everyone on coaching is remorseful for the death of a young man that appears could have been prevented. But the gang mentality doesn't help. There's nothing wrong for anyone with a longstanding personal relationship going on record to defend him rather than a bunch of reporters and social media idiots that have never met the guy. The situation is no doubt tragic but once again people need to let the situation play out before passing judgment.

How is it our coaches that always screw up what to say when? Meanwhile there's a coach in the upstate that can't shut up and never seems to find himself in these situations.
So much truth! Dabo seeks out a camera to talk to and rambles on all the time and can't make a national gaffe to save his life.

If that’s the case, then every football coach is part of the problem...

The media would like to eliminate football as a whole...

It represents real men who love the game and replace it with social experiements like changing men into wussies..

AJC is aware that Kirby Smart spent more time with Nick Saban than Will did and they are great friends.

Several questions Will answered prior to his comment in DJ Durkin covered things his camp was doing to protect players from heat exhaustion including cool rooms on the practice field.

Bad for the sport to write articles like this. All coaches that try to develop a championship team have difficult strength and conditioning programs and practices.

It is an NCAA problem.

If you appear to attack the media in anyways, you are going to get a response like that.

Remember what happen to Spurrier?

The media has become a dirty little club where only clicks and eyes matter than actually reporting something worthy of reporting.

Anchorman 2 actually hits home a little too much. The media doesn't report news anymore. They have decided that their primary job is to make the news.

RE: ^^^^ . . .'The media doesn't report news anymore. They have decided that their primary job is to make the news (and, thus, keep their often cushy jobs)'. Sort of reminds one of that old adage: 'When taking office a politician makes note to remember always that his first duty is get re-elected'.

Reactions: tl from little hell
Be careful with that statement. Personal incredulity is the same garbage modern day feminist try to attack any discussion on feminism.

You aren't a female so you can't give an opinion on female issues.

I happen to think he gave a bad answer because he's in no position to question anonymous sources or say they have no credibility. Quite often, whistle-blowers need anonymity to expose problems as we all know how these folks are treated by fans when their names go public. I also get the point that we have a culture in college sports of closing ranks and defending our own. That is indeed "part of the problem" in situations where criminal behavior goes unreported for years.

That said, it was an awkward answer to a question in a press conference that he wasn't prepared to answer. It's not even his program and he has no direct role in what's happened at Maryland whatsoever. So, to suggest he's part of the problem is unfair and over-the-top. He's basically just being a character witness for a friend and colleague.

But the AJC is a big-city paper that loves to offer a "hot take" to generate clicks. Typically, UGA is on the receiving end of their smear campaigns. I guess it was USC's turn this time.

AJC is nothing but a mouthpiece for Georgia.
That couldn't possibly be further from the truth. They routinely run negative stories on UGA to generate clicks. It's pervasive. Since Athens is so close to the Atlanta market, UGA gets the same harsh, critical, big-city coverage you normally only see with pro sports. Even when there is no controversy, they'll find a way to create one.

Reactions: Cav7Dawg
That couldn't possibly be further from the truth. They routinely run negative stories on UGA to generate clicks. It's pervasive. Since Athens is so close to the Atlanta market, UGA gets the same harsh, critical, big-city coverage you normally only see with pro sports. Even when there is no controversy, they'll find a way to create one.
Sure

Too funny.... if Dabo Swinney or Kirby Smart knew and worked with Durkin on a staff ( and smart did) .. and said what Muschamp said, this board would've exploded with negative post about each person and would've sang the praise of AJC , if they would've wrote an opinion piece in the paper
If this if that .

Don't get caught up in the media feeding frenzy BS it's all about selling newspapers. Muschamp defended his friend so what move on there's football to be played.

Reactions: SCexpat38

Correct..If some of these fans had to read the comments in big city papers about their favorite team, their head would explode.....

My issue here is the timing. The work out was in May, the young man passed nearly two months ago. What took Maryland & law enforcement so long to get this going?
Honestly the answer Billy Murphy, the lawyer for the family moves with surgical precision. There is a method to his madness.

Correct..If some of these fans had to read the comments in big city papers about their favorite team, their head would explode.....
I think the angst comes from the knowledge most of us have that what we are trying to build here is still very fragile. Disruption is unwelcome. Negative attention is disturbing. The real irksome part is that Muschamp is being painted with a very uncomplimentary brush that does not take into account how he actually runs his program.

Reactions: winloseortie
Don't get caught up in the media feeding frenzy BS it's all about selling newspapers. Muschamp defended his friend so what move on there's football to be played.

Yep.

All that AJC column amounts too is a sportswriter's take on Muschamp's outspoken defense of his friend following an ESPN report based on anonymous sources who may be gutless but were still apparently credible enough to prompt Maryland to suspend its football coach while it investigates.

But neither the AJC columnist, Muschamp or ESPN really knows for certain what the hell happened up there and neither do I.

And the column is merely an opinion piece, and opinions are like a-holes --

Muschamp's opinion is that the use of anonymous sources is bad journalism. I disagree, but I respect Muschamp's view. And I don't blame him for coming to defense of his friend. I applaud that part of it, even if it turns out the friend didn't deserve Muschamp standing up for him.

I think our bigger problem is that too many folks can't seem to discern between opinion, public relations and straight news reporting anymore, and that includes some of those in the news media.

But has he taken on an issue or a situation as aggravated and emotionally-charged as this one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT