ADVERTISEMENT

And just like that Braden Davis is no longer a 4 star on rivals.*

tenor.gif

Reactions: redrogers
I know most of the members strangely care about Rivals rankings only, but the 247 composite is the best measurement.

Were these offers commitable?

I dunno. The only ones who could answer that question are the head coaches from the respective schools. Nevertheless, you don't put an offer list like that together if there's not something there. Not saying it's a guarantee he'll be good, but it's a sign that a lot of pretty good coaches thought highly enough of him to extend an offer.

He’s considered an athlete playing QB with upside who I believe has played in a total of 3 games as a HS QB. His size, speed and raw ability he’s shown at camps is what has intrigued people. He was probably too highly rated to start but a good season could easily push him back up there.

I know most of the members strangely care about Rivals rankings only, but the 247 composite is the best measurement.
How about none of them? All of these people are NEWS people. None of them are coaches. None of them are professional scouts. They are mostly hype and many are parrots, just repeating what they hear. Pay attention to the time of year. This is June. Traditionally, they make these changes in June each year. Have these players gotten worse or improved without having played a single game since last November? Of course not. June is the time of year when recruiting really gets cranked up and teams start having summer camps and more on campus visits and offers go out. These recruiting services pick up on that and change their rankings based on what the schools are doing and who is getting offers and where those offers are from. It's a chicken and egg thing. They are not predictors of talent, they are followers of talent. Then they publish their rankings, get lots of clicks, make lots of money, and when Alabama, Ohio State, and other top programs end up with the highest recruiting rankings, many fans say, "see, these rankings must be accurate since all the top programs have all the highest rankings". It's a con game and a lot of fans buy into it. They are in the business to make money, not predict talent.

I dunno. The only ones who could answer that question are the head coaches from the respective schools. Nevertheless, you don't put an offer list like that together if there's not something there. Not saying it's a guarantee he'll be good, but it's a sign that a lot of pretty good coaches thought highly enough of him to extend an offer.
These lists are just self reported. If a kid can’t actually commit to a school is it a real offer?

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
I agree, but still if he was committed to a national power. He wouldnt have slipped to 5.7 3 star.
Yeah, the truth hurts, but "settling" for USC counts as a negative data point to many.

And honestly it's hard for me to blame Rivals TOO much. I mean, I know it's lame to just automatically bump up rankings for commitments to blueblood programs, but you have to bow to some extent to those programs' proven ability to identify talent. Personally I put a lot more stock into Saban's evaluation of a player than I do any Rivals analyst's. For this and other reasons I personally take these rankings with a massive grain of salt.

Reactions: redrogers
How about none of them? All of these people are NEWS people. None of them are coaches. None of them are professional scouts. They are mostly hype and many are parrots, just repeating what they hear. Pay attention to the time of year. This is June. Traditionally, they make these changes in June each year. Have these players gotten worse or improved without having played a single game since last November? Of course not. June is the time of year when recruiting really gets cranked up and teams start having summer camps and more on campus visits and offers go out. These recruiting services pick up on that and change their rankings based on what the schools are doing and who is getting offers and where those offers are from. It's a chicken and egg thing. They are not predictors of talent, they are followers of talent. Then they publish their rankings, get lots of clicks, make lots of money, and when Alabama, Ohio State, and other top programs end up with the highest recruiting rankings, many fans say, "see, these rankings must be accurate since all the top programs have all the highest rankings". It's a con game and a lot of fans buy into it. They are in the business to make money, not predict talent.
This argument is always used, however, the schools doing all the winning are the ones loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. Our neighbors to the north have been very good. Is it because their talent is elite, or are you going to admit that Dabo and staff are actually good coaches?

It’s funny how no one complains about rankings, ratings or the services that put them out when our baseball team is ranked top 10 or the WBB team is #1.

They certainly are in it for the money. And, there is no doubt ratings get manipulated for some.

You are right about a lot of fans though. The folks that fixate on ratings definitely prove the “sucker born every minute” axiom.

It’s quite amusing. Especially the victim mentality.

I look at the ratings in aggregate. I also consider the actual recruit and fit.

In general, the overall rankings are pretty accurate for those at the top of the food chain.

Does coaching still matter? Of course. UcheaT is a shining example. UGA too, if you want to talk championships.

Outside the Top 10, it is just about numbers with coaching and evaluation being a lot more determinant on how those 3s and 4s actually pan out. Those schools aren’t really going to compete for any titles. Outliers exist, but we all know how the pecking order stacks up and why.

Only when we had an elite coach (when focused) and some elite talent did we actually become relevant. Not a coincidence.

17-25 rankings with good coaching and we are fighting for an 8-4 ceiling with a decent bowl invite.

30 and less, with lousy coaching, and we are struggling to beat App St and win 6 games.

All the spin and excuse making in the world isn’t going to change that reality.

So, is this QB a 3 or 4? Don’t freaking care.

Besides, the last few 4s we have had didn’t exactly move the needle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Doc
Yeah rivals gave a 3 star to a fake player because their profile said they had an offer from Alabama.

This argument is always used, however, the schools doing all the winning are the ones loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. Our neighbors to the north have been very good. Is it because their talent is elite, or are you going to admit that Dabo and staff are actually good coaches?
You completely missed the point and are a prime example of what I was talking about. You apparently fall for the line "since the top teams have the highest ratings the ratings must be accurate." These services make money off people like you.

You can make this shit up. It’s as predictable as the sun rising these days.

So I am a four-star recruit, I have offers from numerous bluebloods, and my season is over until the fall. I commit to South Carolina and I drop to a three star recruit. Makes perfect senseo_O. How do you drop in status while not playing and not injured. If he has a bad year this year maybe he drops. But this kind of crap says more about the people ranking than it does about the prospect.

Looking forward to him being on campus.

You completely missed the point and are a prime example of what I was talking about. You apparently fall for the line "since the top teams have the highest ratings the ratings must be accurate." These services make money off people like you.
They make zero money off me because I don't pay a dime for it. You seem to believe that there rankings are made up and are just based on what schools give them offers. You're the most naive of them all.

They make zero money off me because I don't pay a dime for it. You seem to believe that there rankings are made up and are just based on what schools give them offers. You're the most naive of them all.
Ahh, yes they do make money off you. Obviously you don't understand how this internet thing works. From your post you obviously look at these rankings. Every time you click on one of those sites it ups their ratings which is used to gain advertising $.

So, if you think these ratings are legit and compiled by experts, tell me ONE person working on any of these sites that was a coach, a recruiting coordinator, a pro scout, or anything at all resembling an expert evaluator of talent. Also, tell me how many hours of film they watch of these hundreds of players to adequately evaluate them and rank them against each other, or how many ball games/practice sessions they attend. Also explain why in the month of June with the recruits not having played a single game or practiced a single time, they all of a sudden inexplicably start changing the rankings from where they were at the end of the year. I'm not the one inflicted with naivety. What are they basing these changes on???????

Honestly not much.
Literally the biggest, most reputable, longest lasting, best known brand in sports broadcasting knows “not much” about sports? They only pour more money and resources into sports broadcasting, information, analysis… Than any entity in the world. If they don’t know much about sports, please tell us who does. I am really interested to hear this one?

They're basing them on the actions of the coaches you accuse them of not being.
It was a rhetorical question. As I said in my first post: "...many are parrots, just repeating what they hear", and "They are not predictors of talent, they are followers of talent."

I follow our recruiting as much as I can get for free, and I watch video of the players we recruit. I’m not really into the star ratings. I’m more concerned about the guys that come to USC, and what they do while they’re here. I go back to what Lou said: Recruits are like a newborn baby; you don’t know in the beginning if they’re going to grow up to be a doctor or a bum. I paraphrased that a little.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
Literally the biggest, most reputable, longest lasting, best known brand in sports broadcasting knows “not much” about sports? They only pour more money and resources into sports broadcasting, information, analysis… Than any entity in the world. If they don’t know much about sports, please tell us who does. I am really interested to hear this one?
As for college football, how about Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, and Jimbo Fisher? Of course this is only scratching the surface. The list could go on, and on, and on.

As for college football, how about Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, and Jimbo Fisher? Of course this is only scratching the surface. The list could go on, and on, and on.
That is comparing individuals to an entire sports broadcasting network. That is beyond apples to oranges… It is more like comparing asparagus to the planet Mars.

No disrespect, but those guys don’t issue star ratings for football players. The ratings/rankings for players seems to be determined by which teams offer them, and where they commit.

No disrespect, but those guys don’t issue star ratings for football players. The ratings/rankings for players seems to be determined by which teams offer them, and where they co
That is comparing individuals to an entire sports broadcasting network. That is beyond apples to oranges… It is more like comparing asparagus to the planet Mars.
"If they don’t know much about sports, please tell us who does." That was the question. You're going off on tangents. The question didn't ask what networks, or who that issues star rankings know more.

These comments and this discussion does not exist in a vaccume started from a point of your choosing. There is a clear subject at hand, and a clear line of thought being perpetuated and you @JGH 35 were the one who took off a tangent.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Broadcast. Yes. Knowledge? Echo chamber.

These comments and this discussion does not exist in a vaccume started from a point of your choosing. There is a clear subject at hand, and a clear line of thought being perpetuated and you @JGH 35 were the one who took off a tangent.
Tow that line boy.

You are the one that asked the question. I answered the specific question you asked. If you didn't mean the question you asked you should have asked a different one. That's on you.

It was a rhetorical question. As I said in my first post: "...many are parrots, just repeating what they hear", and "They are not predictors of talent, they are followers of talent."

Yes, repeating what they hear from the coaches you accuse them of not being.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT