ADVERTISEMENT

Are we in this mix with any 5-star, franchise types, this year?

Anyone who cannot understand and identify with fan's frustrations with Muschamp on all levels simply has not been paying attention.
Never said I cannot understand or identify with frustrations about Muschamp. After a 4-8 season, frustration is expected. My point is ignoring the things he has accomplished- like thrning around a 3 win team into a 9 win team in just his second season, recruiting more 5 star players than any coach in our history over so few seasons and having the best record of any coach after their first 3 seasons... Should not al of a sudden be treated as though they never happened because people are frustrated with him after a bad season. I am as frustrated as anyone about a 4 win season. He needs to do better. He HAS landed enough talent to do better.., Now it is up to him to do it.

Reactions: Expro19
Basically proved my point. Only about 25-30 five stars
Hundreds and hundreds of players going to many programs each year
Again, you said does our coach look like he could get 5 stars. And I said yes. And then you changed the subject with our record from last year. Instead of just admitting you are wrong.
Like I said before- he is just full of shit. He has no idea what the words he typed even mean apparently.

Basically proved my point. Only about 25-30 five stars
Hundreds and hundreds of players going to many programs each year
They have to go somewhere, so if he can sell ice to Eskimos, there’s no reason theY shouldn’t be coming to USC. Any other explanation is just an excuse.

They have to go somewhere, so if he can sell ice to Eskimos, there’s no reason theY shouldn’t be coming to USC. Any other explanation is just an excuse.

Well, a sizable percentage of the total number of 5* players signed by our program have been signed by Muschamp.

Can’t please everyone.

Anyone who cannot understand and identify with fan's frustrations with Muschamp on all levels simply has not been paying attention.
anyone who doesnt get what he has had to deal with doesnt wanna pay attention. this will be his first year with a full roster and if you dont get how important that is,then thats on you. he will still have to play some freshman, which will hurt but he has been doing it the right way and you just dont wanna see it

anyone who doesnt get what he has had to deal with doesnt wanna pay attention. this will be his first year with a full roster and if you dont get how important that is,then thats on you. he will still have to play some freshman, which will hurt but he has been doing it the right way and you just dont wanna see it
I can't wait until you guys run out of excuses. Is this the first year Muschamp has actually coached our team? Is it not his scheme and philosophy that has been on display for 8 years now? Or is that all Spurrier's fault too?

Never said I cannot understand or identify with frustrations about Muschamp. After a 4-8 season, frustration is expected. My point is ignoring the things he has accomplished- like thrning around a 3 win team into a 9 win team in just his second season, recruiting more 5 star players than any coach in our history over so few seasons and having the best record of any coach after their first 3 seasons... Should not al of a sudden be treated as though they never happened because people are frustrated with him after a bad season. I am as frustrated as anyone about a 4 win season. He needs to do better. He HAS landed enough talent to do better.., Now it is up to him to do it.
Well, in that case let's give him a 10 year contract.

That’s nothing but an excuse. That’s the same reason “what ‘till next year” is USC’s official
Mantra.

Well, in that case let's give him a 10 year contract.
Please God no... LOL

UNLESS he gets things going like immediately. Seriously- let’s be real here- last year sucked out loud. We also had more injuries to our offense than I have ever seen a D1 team sustain in a single season in my lifetime. Every position literally lost at least their top 2-3+ players for portions if the year. We were down to walk ons, freshmen we planned to RS and converted QBs Plying WR for us by the end of the year! Hard to win like that. They have the talent to be a solid team if we can keep people on the field. I think we have solid talent and experience at every position except WR this season- maybe we catch lightning with a few new guys or something but I am concerned about that position. If a new offensive strategy mixed with some Good luck on the injury front leads to a better product this season, will people still want Will gone? How many wins is enough to change your opinions on him?

The quickest and least expensive route to success it to keep Will and have him turn things around. We have- like all Schools- lost Tons of money, TENS OF MILLIONS, in revenue due to Covid, we can NOT AFFIRD TO PAY BUYOUTS OR PAY FOR A BIG NAME NEW COACH RIGHT NOW. What is our option other than to give the current staff a fair shot to right the ship?

I remember when we got Ricardo Hurley and Demetrius Summers (who I played against in high school) back to back years, back when we really didn't get five stars. If the list of our five stars doesn't tell you, not everyone with that high of a rating pans out.

I can't wait until you guys run out of excuses. Is this the first year Muschamp has actually coached our team? Is it not his scheme and philosophy that has been on display for 8 years now? Or is that all Spurrier's fault too?
or better yet, we can change every 4 yrs after each honeymoon is over.. under your standards we shoulda canned sos after 4 yrs,who by the way, is the one who left the cupboard bare

or better yet, we can change every 4 yrs after each honeymoon is over.. under your standards we shoulda canned sos after 4 yrs,who by the way, is the one who left the cupboard bare
This is complete and total bullshit. On every level. With the exception of Richard Bell, , you'd have to go all the way back to the mid fifties and Johnny McMillan to find a coach who wasn't given AT LEAST five or six years.

And regarding Spurrier:

1. He had a long track record of success coming in to this job. Muschamp couldn't win at Florida.

2. If Spurrier left the cupboard so bare, why is it Muschamp had his best season with his recruits? And why has it things have only gotten worse since then -- just like they did at Florida?

^^the reason we have a medicore football program^^^

2. If Spurrier left the cupboard so bare, why is it Muschamp had his best season with his recruits? And why has it things have only gotten worse since then -- just like they did at Florida?

The problem with the team after Spurrier left was there wasn't quality depth. There were a handful of good players left,but after them the depth dropped quickly. And the bulk of the recruiting class Muschamp inherited wasn't particularly strong.

He had to supplement the handful of good players with true freshmen, while still having to sign arguably too many JUCO guys trying to plug leaks.

I think if you look at Muschamp's last couple of classes you'll see the talent level is climbing back up.

I remember when we got Ricardo Hurley and Demetrius Summers (who I played against in high school) back to back years, back when we really didn't get five stars. If the list of our five stars doesn't tell you, not everyone with that high of a rating pans out.
Nobody said they all pan out.

The problem with the team after Spurrier left was there wasn't quality depth. There were a handful of good players left,but after them the depth dropped quickly. And the bulk of the recruiting class Muschamp inherited wasn't particularly strong.

He had to supplement the handful of good players with true freshmen, while still having to sign arguably too many JUCO guys trying to plug leaks.

I think if you look at Muschamp's last couple of classes you'll see the talent level is climbing back up.
The talent level he's recruiting might be going up. But the win totals are going down.
And the same problems that plagued Muschamp at Florida have manifested themselves here. The pattern is pretty clear.

The talent level he's recruiting might be going up. But the win totals are going down.
And the same problems that plagued Muschamp at Florida have manifested themselves here. The pattern is pretty clear.
The pattern at Florida is pretty similar, let’s recap high level: over his first 4 years at UF, he rebuilt them into a team that achieved double digit wins in his second season and made the SEC CG I believe (similar in some ways to his 9 win second season here). Then, he had a bad year at UF his 3rd season, mediocre season in his fourth... as they struggled with massive injuries and an anemic offense (sound familiar?), UF fired him for it despite moving from 4-8 to 7-5 in year 4. The teams that followed Muschamp’s tenure at UF were coached by an absolute moron and Mclwain still made the SEC CG in his first two seasons, on the strength of the unbelievably talented defenses MUSCHAMP had recruited. So, that is 3 SEC CG trips he affected over a 6 year period... Perhaps all this talent he has accumulated here is about to turn the corner the way those UF teams did right after he left? Or perhaps they had success after he left BECAUSE HE LEFT...? Hard to tell...

The pattern at Florida is pretty similar, let’s recap high level: over his first 4 years at UF, he rebuilt them into a team that achieved double digit wins in his second season and made the SEC CG I believe (similar in some ways to his 9 win second season here). Then, he had a bad year at UF his 3rd season, mediocre season in his fourth... as they struggled with massive injuries and an anemic offense (sound familiar?), UF fired him for it despite moving from 4-8 to 7-5 in year 4. The teams that followed Muschamp’s tenure at UF were coached by an absolute moron and Mclwain still made the SEC CG in his first two seasons, on the strength of the unbelievably talented defenses MUSCHAMP had recruited. So, that is 3 SEC CG trips he affected over a 6 year period... Perhaps all this talent he has accumulated here is about to turn the corner the way those UF teams did right after he left? Or perhaps they had success after he left BECAUSE HE LEFT...? Hard to tell...
We definitely agree that the patterns are eerily similar. Except he had his worst season here in Year 4. Other than that, it was mostly the same. But any attempt to hive him credit for what McIlwain accomplished is a mighty big stretch.

There is a reason he got fired from Florida. And had it not been for an incompetent AD who gave a ridiculous extension and buyout, he would have been fired from here too last year.

We definitely agree that the patterns are eerily similar. Except he had his worst season here in Year 4. Other than that, it was mostly the same. But any attempt to hive him credit for what McIlwain accomplished is a mighty big stretch.

There is a reason he got fired from Florida. And had it not been for an incompetent AD who gave a ridiculous extension and buyout, he would have been fired from here too last year.
I disagree it is a big stretch, as that is not just “my” personal opinion. Many people around the Florida program feel it was Muschamp’s defenses that took them to the SEC CGs those two seasons right after he left more than it was anything the new staff implemented. McElwain was an offensive/ passing guy coming in, and those teams were dominated by stellar defenses not flashy Offenses... He never really had a good offense in his 3 years there. Certainly Muschamp does not deserve ALL or probably even a majority of the credit, but Many people around that program have linked the success of those first two seasons directly to the stellar defense Muschamp put together... For whatever that is worth...

I disagree it is a big stretch, as that is not just “my” personal opinion. Many people around the Florida program feel it was Muschamp’s defenses that took them to the SEC CGs those two seasons right after he left more than it was anything the new staff implemented. McElwain was an offensive/ passing guy coming in, and those teams were dominated by stellar defenses not flashy Offenses... He never really had a good offense in his 3 years there. Certainly Muschamp does not deserve ALL or probably even a majority of the credit, but Many people around that program have linked the success of those first two seasons directly to the stellar defense Muschamp put together... For whatever that is worth...
Muschamp may have helped to build it. But coaching it consistently (or at all) is another thing altogether. Not only was there a reason he got fired, there's also a reason not one Power 5 program in the country wanted to hire him as their HC -- besides us.

(Also, Florida did not win the East any year under Muschamp. Georgia and Mizzou won it every year he was at Florida. https://www.secsports.com/article/11037746/championship-football)

While his recruiting has been decent here, it has by no means game-changing. He's consistently been in the high teens to mid-twenties in recruiting, which is only good for middle of the road in the SEC. And that's not going to even come close to getting us back to Atlanta. And we won't even sniff being competitive with Clemson that way. Especially when, despite all that, he's only been ranked DURING the season for only one week.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
We've been really bad for years under Muschamp.

17 out of 41 versus Power 5 schools. (10 of those 17 had losing records)

Blown out in monumental fashion every year to our rival. The worst run in school history. 184-55 point differential.

1 out of 7 versus ACC.

Couldn't gain a yard on the ground against App State even though Champ stating going in we would need to "try to bully them with our run game." Meanwhile, Georgia Southern had over 350 yards against App the game before, and GA State had over 250 the game after they played us.

Joyner, our QB backup to a hobbling Hilinski (overplayed by Champ in BAMA game), knew only 6 plays when he was inserted as a starter.

And so on.

He's confident on the mic, crappy on the field.

We hired a salesman. Now we're trying yearly to shuffle pieces around our 5mil a yr. dud with an unjustified buyout clause

Muschamp may have helped to build it. But coaching it consistently (or at all) is another thing altogether. Not only was there a reason he got fired, there's also a reason not one Power 5 program in the country wanted to hire him as their HC -- besides us.

(Also, Florida did not win the East any year under Muschamp. Georgia and Mizzou won it every year he was at Florida. https://www.secsports.com/article/11037746/championship-football)

While his recruiting has been decent here, it has by no means game-changing. He's consistently been in the high teens to mid-twenties in recruiting, which is only good for middle of the road in the SEC. And that's not going to even come close to getting us back to Atlanta. And we won't even sniff being competitive with Clemson that way. Especially when, despite all that, he's only been ranked DURING the season for only one week.
Sorry, he TIED for first in the East his second year, but the tie breaker went to UGA I think and they actually went to the CG... My bad- I was just going off memory there.

Regardless, we are swaying far from the discussion- 5* recruits. Muschamp has gotten a lot since he has been here- “a lot” comparable to any period in our past, and comparable to what might be expected of a team with our long and short term poor history of football success. That is where this started, that is the point I was defending about him. Nothing more.
I never said he was our greatest coach ever, never said he landed the best classes in the nation, never even recall talking about his recruiting rankings beyond the number of 5* players he has landed. We can spin off a more in depth analysis of his history and experience in another thread if need be, but to be clear my point was about him recruiting 5* guys to SC... These guys are more likely to be “game changing” talents, and we have gotten most of them in the past few years, most have barely even gotten a chance to play yet or played only as freshmen maybe.. So it is impossible to know at this point if he has gotten “game changing“ talent or not.

The thing I will again remind people of about Muschamp is that he took over a 3 win FB team and had them back in a bowl year 1, and got to 9 wins in year 2. That is more success than anyone expected from him here early on. He has had ONE bad year- when the entire offense Got injured- and beyond that has put in a bowl 3/4 seasons. The 9 win season is when he got his extension and it made sense to give him a raise and extension at that time. Looking back at the two years since then, and trying reverse engineer what we would have wanted our AD to do in light of things that had not happened yet is completely STUPID, but that is exactly what our fans are doing when they gripe about his buy out today.

That is my opinion on it, supported by facts. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
How about all of the schools who have had a top 10 recruiting class in the last 5 years and not won a National Championship? I get what you’re saying, but schedule plays a factor in recruiting and Clemsux has nailed the Bobby Bowden philosophy to a tee. “We didn’t join the SEC because it was too tough.” -Bowden Having a couple of top 10 recruiting classes in a row or even top 15 in the ACC means you’re beating pretty much every other ACC team every year. Then, you start gaining National relevance and you’re rival who beat you 2,3,4,5 times in a row becomes less relevant bc we’re losing the Orange Bowl 70-33, but hey 5 star recruit, “we were in the Orange Bowl, they played in a shitty bowl bc there league is too tough and btw you’re a lot less likely to get hurt if u come to cowtown, and so on and so on.”
Anyone who says stars don’t matter, is lying to themselves. You know what all national championship have in common?

They have all had a top ten recruiting class in the last 5 years before they one.

We've been really bad for years under Muschamp.

17 out of 41 versus Power 5 schools. (10 of those 17 had losing records)

Blown out in monumental fashion every year to our rival. The worst run in school history. 184-55 point differential.

1 out of 7 versus ACC.

Couldn't gain a yard on the ground against App State even though Champ stating going in we would need to "try to bully them with our run game." Meanwhile, Georgia Southern had over 350 yards against App the game before, and GA State had over 250 the game after they played us.

Joyner, our QB backup to a hobbling Hilinski (overplayed by Champ in BAMA game), knew only 6 plays when he was inserted as a starter.

And so on.

He's confident on the mic, crappy on the field.

We hired a salesman. Now we're trying yearly to shuffle pieces around our 5mil a yr. dud with an unjustified buyout clause
We were really bad LAST YEAR.

Clemsun is blowing out just about everyone over that stretch...

Joyner was NOT our backup, he was a WIDEOUT. Converted back to a QB part time after our real QB was hurt the first game of the year. Hilinky was not over used in the Bama game, he was used the same amount as any starting QB would be, he just happened to get injured.. Your claims are beyond dubious.

That said, naming a few annoyances about struggles from a 4-8 season when basically the entire starting 2 deep on offense was injured at some point during the year, is pointless. We all get it- last year was a disaster from the first game on, it just went downhill because every player who showed any promise was eventually carted off the field. If Bama, clemsun, LSU.., ANY team had suffered 2-3+ injuries to every offensive skill position, they would not have faired a whole lot better. Saying he has been really bad for years is just not accurate. Even after a mediocre third season, he had one of the best starts by any coach in our history. Recency bias is rampant among our fans today. I don’t think Muschamp is the best coach in the world or anything, and last year sucked... But he is a Helluva lot better than most of our fans are willing to give him credit for.

How about we try being a fan people. If we can’t get him to turn it around, we are in big trouble. If he fails for the next year or two, then we fire him and hire someone new, who then has to START another rebuild... We are looking at about 2025-2027ish before we can realistically expect any kind of impressive success in FB again. I would greatly prefer to see him pull a Spurrier and continue to build his team into a winner, with his success really ramping up around year 5-6 (this year and next year) vs waiting 5-7 more years to see if the next guy can or cannot get it done. So, keep bagging on the man. I am pulling for him. He has shown he can build a solid D, he can recruit, if he truly gets out of the offense’s way and we can stay healthy, this team can win with this staff and this talent. JMHO

This will be his 9th year as a head coach with I think, 6 different offensive coordinators over that time. Unfortunately, that is plenty enough to have formed an opinion regarding muschamp. Anybody that saw his Florida teams saw how bad his teams were. I can’t believe we even interviewed him much less hired him. Injuries are atypical of his teams. They stay beat up. I don’t know why but they do. He is not a good coach. If we were serious about winning he would not be here. However, our AD saw greatness in Will. Smh.

Joyner was NOT our backup, he was a WIDEOUT. Converted back to a QB part time after our real QB was hurt the first game of the year. Hilinky was not over used in the Bama game, he was used the same amount as any starting QB would be, he just happened to get injured.. Your claims are beyond dubious.

That said, naming a few annoyances about struggles from a 4-8 season when basically the entire starting 2 deep on offense was injured at some point during the year, is pointless. We all get it- last year was a disaster from the first game on, it just went downhill because every player who showed any promise was eventually carted off the field. If Bama, clemsun, LSU.., ANY team had suffered 2-3+ injuries to every offensive skill position, they would not have faired a whole lot better. Saying he has been really bad for years is just not accurate. Even after a mediocre third season, he had one of the best starts by any coach in our history. Recency bias is rampant among our fans today. I don’t think Muschamp is the best coach in the world or anything, and last year sucked... But he is a Helluva lot better than most of our fans are willing to give him credit for.

How about we try being a fan people. If we can’t get him to turn it around, we are in big trouble. If he fails for the next year or two, then we fire him and hire someone new, who then has to START another rebuild... We are looking at about 2025-2027ish before we can realistically expect any kind of impressive success in FB again. I would greatly prefer to see him pull a Spurrier and continue to build his team into a winner, with his success really ramping up around year 5-6 (this year and next year) vs waiting 5-7 more years to see if the next guy can or cannot get it done. So, keep bagging on the man. I am pulling for him. He has shown he can build a solid D, he can recruit, if he truly gets out of the offense’s way and we can stay healthy, this team can win with this staff and this talent. JMHO

This will be his 9th year as a head coach with I think, 6 different offensive coordinators over that time. Unfortunately, that is plenty enough to have formed an opinion regarding muschamp. Anybody that saw his Florida teams saw how bad his teams were. I can’t believe we even interviewed him much less hired him. Injuries are atypical of his teams. They stay beat up. I don’t know why but they do. He is not a good coach. If we were serious about winning he would not be here. However, our AD saw greatness in Will. Smh.
I agree with the notion that hiring him in the first place was a mistake. I was against it from day 1. That criticism of Ray is pretty fair and makes a lot more sense than blaming him for extending a coach’s contract after that coach turned a 3 win team into a 9 win team in two seasons!

Fans who make excuses for mediocre at best coaches and continue to tell those of us that have higher expectations crap like it just takes time is the reason we have a mediocre (at best) program.
Well, I was quoting you... Take a look at the man in the mirror my friend!

...what a load of BS though honestly. Implying our FANS are the reason we suck at FB? Give me a BREAK! We have a passionate loyal fan base who will spend on par with any in the country when given something to get excited about. Fans’ feelings and opinions do not affect the outcome of games at all EVER, nor do they affect the hiring/firing of coaches nearly as much as some of you think they do. Thank God for that.

Sorry, he TIED for first in the East his second year, but the tie breaker went to UGA I think and they actually went to the CG... My bad- I was just going off memory there.

Regardless, we are swaying far from the discussion- 5* recruits. Muschamp has gotten a lot since he has been here- “a lot” comparable to any period in our past, and comparable to what might be expected of a team with our long and short term poor history of football success. That is where this started, that is the point I was defending about him. Nothing more.
I never said he was our greatest coach ever, never said he landed the best classes in the nation, never even recall talking about his recruiting rankings beyond the number of 5* players he has landed. We can spin off a more in depth analysis of his history and experience in another thread if need be, but to be clear my point was about him recruiting 5* guys to SC... These guys are more likely to be “game changing” talents, and we have gotten most of them in the past few years, most have barely even gotten a chance to play yet or played only as freshmen maybe.. So it is impossible to know at this point if he has gotten “game changing“ talent or not.

The thing I will again remind people of about Muschamp is that he took over a 3 win FB team and had them back in a bowl year 1, and got to 9 wins in year 2. That is more success than anyone expected from him here early on. He has had ONE bad year- when the entire offense Got injured- and beyond that has put in a bowl 3/4 seasons. The 9 win season is when he got his extension and it made sense to give him a raise and extension at that time. Looking back at the two years since then, and trying reverse engineer what we would have wanted our AD to do in light of things that had not happened yet is completely STUPID, but that is exactly what our fans are doing when they gripe about his buy out today.

That is my opinion on it, supported by facts. Feel free to disagree.
I do disagree. You're attempting to whitewash his shortcomings by blaming everything on injuries, not to mention making it sound like he only had one bad year. Record-wise, he's had two. His first season was also a losing one. But no one blames him for that, and rightfully so. Every coach deserves the honeymoon period.

What you're glossing over though is that he's only beaten a whopping TWO ranked teams since he's been here. Even worse, his losses to them are typically lopsided. He also has a losing record in the SEC. That means he's padded his win column by beating smaller, weaker OOC teams. (That is, until last year when he coached his way out of wins against UNCHEAT and App St -- to go along with our annual curb stomping by Clemson.)
All that puts him a eye-popping ONE game over .500 overall here.

I and many others have pointed out relentlessly that he didn't just have the one-off season last year with an incredible amount of woe-is-us injuries. The same thing happened here the year before, and they also happened at Florida when he was there. Just like pitiful game day coaching, putrid offenses, bad OC hires, poorly coached and undisciplined play and, as I previously mentioned, the fact the his programs get worse the longer he's there.

These are also FACTS.

Regarding the recruiting classes, my game-changer comment was about the overall class ranks, not the individual 5 stars he's gotten. They are nice, but his poor history of player development and coaching is why MANY of us are extremely skeptical that he'll ever do anything with it.

Hopefully, he'll at least hold serve on the recruiting trail so that his eventual replacement will inherit a decent roster.

Well, I was quoting you... Take a look at the man in the mirror my friend!

...what a load of BS though honestly. Implying our FANS are the reason we suck at FB? Give me a BREAK! We have a passionate loyal fan base who will spend on par with any in the country when given something to get excited about. Fans’ feelings and opinions do not affect the outcome of games at all EVER, nor do they affect the hiring/firing of coaches nearly as much as some of you think they do. Thank God for that.

I don't think its BS at all. And I am not talking about "feelings". I am talking about a willingness for some in our fanbase to accept mediocre results and in fact, continue to make excuses. Didn't the phrase "wait til next year" orginate around Columbia? Take a look around....our friends in places like Auburn, Athens and Clemson don't accept bad football and their administration understands the pressure they are under to achieve results on the field. As long as out BOT can booze it up in their private suite all is apaprently good in Cola Town. I am tired of losing. And I don't think I am alone.

if you don't think fanbase and alum's expectations and pressure on leadership to deliver don't matter, you are mistaken. It is absurd we still have an AD employed who allowed us to get into this completely outrageous buyout with one of the most medicocre coaches in college football. Truth hurts.

What did you like about 2018 though? The team was virtually unwatchable. Couldn't cover anyone and dropped passes with precision. The highlight win was maybe the nailbiter in WB to Missouri? Complete with the total collapse in the Belk Bowl.

I should have been more detailed on Joyner. Hilinski was injured in Game 2 and continued to play through it but was clearly injured. Why weren't they getting the #2 guy ready at that point?

Best starts ever? 2016 - We had one of the easiest SEC schedules - won a nailbiter to Vandy. Beat East Carolina, UMASS, a UT that fired their coach, a 7-loss Missouri team and Western Carolina.

Again, 17 out of 41 versus P5 teams in 4 years. That's rough.

I totally agree we're in a hole and just have to deal with for at least another year. But someone should be accountable for a crazy contract that was given to a guy who basically floundered at a Top 5/10 school.

He set all kinds of records at UF. Excerpts from his WIKI page:

The Gators
would lose seven consecutive games, their longest losing streak in recent memory. The 4-8 record was the Gators' first losing season since 1979. Muschamp again had a losing record in the SEC, 3–5. This made Muschamp the first Gators coach to have two losing SEC records since the 1950s. This also ended a 22-year bowl streak that dated back to 1991 when the Gators came off probation. The season included two particularly humiliating losses. The first was a homecoming loss to Vanderbilttheir first loss to the Commodores since 1988 and first at home since 1945. Muschamp's Gators also lost to an FCS team, Georgia Southern, the first loss to a lower division team in the history of the program. Muschamp lost to traditional rival Georgia for the third consecutive year and a 30-point loss to Florida State in the season's final game dropped his record against the Seminoles to 1–2. The Gator defense was again one of the best in the nation, ranking eighth in total defense. However, the Gator offense was again ineffective, ranking 114th nationally in total offense and 107th in passing. After the season, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley brought Muschamp back for another season. The following spring, Muschamp's Gators brought in the No. 9 recruiting class, which trailed five other SEC teams and rival Florida State.

Despite a lackluster 2013 season, expectations were high for Muschamp and the Gators for the 2014 campaign. After a 42–13 homecoming loss to Missouri, some Gator fans called for Muschamp to be fired immediately....."[26]

-----------------------------

This is the guy we inked an escalating 4.5mil a year contract, complete with a 22 million buyout b/c it was "the going rate" (per Ray) at the time.

I do disagree. You're attempting to whitewash his shortcomings by blaming everything on injuries, not to mention making it sound like he only had one bad year. Record-wise, he's had two. His first season was also a losing one. But no one blames him for that, and rightfully so. Every coach deserves the honeymoon period.

What you're glossing over though is that he's only beaten a whopping TWO ranked teams since he's been here. Even worse, his losses to them are typically lopsided. He also has a losing record in the SEC. That means he's padded his win column by beating smaller, weaker OOC teams. (That is, until last year when he coached his way out of wins against UNCHEAT and App St -- to go along with our annual curb stomping by Clemson.)
All that puts him a eye-popping ONE game over .500 overall here.

I and many others have pointed out relentlessly that he didn't just have the one-off season last year with an incredible amount of woe-is-us injuries. The same thing happened here the year before, and they also happened at Florida when he was there. Just like pitiful game day coaching, putrid offenses, bad OC hires, poorly coached and undisciplined play and, as I previously mentioned, the fact the his programs get worse the longer he's there.

These are also FACTS.

Regarding the recruiting classes, my game-changer comment was about the overall class ranks, not the individual 5 stars he's gotten. They are nice, but his poor history of player development and coaching is why MANY of us are extremely skeptical that he'll ever do anything with it.

Hopefully, he'll at least hold serve on the recruiting trail so that his eventual replacement will inherit a decent roster.
I am skeptical as well. He needs to do better. He has done better for short periods of time. He has done awful over short periods of time. We are about to see something (maybe..?) that we have never seen before though- a 5th season as the head coach of one school. Nobody knows what will happen, but I am hoping for the best!

I don't think its BS at all. And I am not talking about "feelings". I am talking about a willingness for some in our fanbase to accept mediocre results and in fact, continue to make excuses. Didn't the phrase "wait til next year" orginate around Columbia? Take a look around....our friends in places like Auburn, Athens and Clemson don't accept bad football and their administration understands the pressure they are under to achieve results on the field. As long as out BOT can booze it up in their private suite all is apaprently good in Cola Town. I am tired of losing. And I don't think I am alone.

if you don't think fanbase and alum's expectations and pressure on leadership to deliver don't matter, you are mistaken. It is absurd we still have an AD employed who allowed us to get into this completely outrageous buyout with one of the most medicocre coaches in college football. Truth hurts.
So again, you think fans who talk about their team’s coach’s record on the internet are the reason we lose at football? That is a hot take man.

Go ahead, use your massive power to pressure the BOT into firing Ray, Will and Go ahead and get Frank while you are at it! We can pay for these buyouts with... What? We are in the middle of a pandemic. Every athletic department is bleeding cash with no promises of near term revenue. We need to be worried about if they can even field a team this year, if the SEC will even play FB this Fall, if our Governor will allow any games... who knows when we will get to go to games again? This is not the time where we CAN demand better. It is not an option now, today. I am looking at what we have right now- Will Muschamp as our coach, a near broke athletic department (like every one in the nation right now) and some good/promising young players. So I am trying to be hopeful- hoping we get to play some ball, hoping the kids stay healthy, hoping our coach can figure it out and make us better. If trying to remind people of why our coach got the extension and buyout he has is ruining our program then we will stay ruined because I think that is BS and I am going to keep doing it. Reminding people of some positives does not mean I cannot see/gloss over the negatives. I wanted the man gone this past season but I get why he wasn’t fired. I did not want them to hire him at all, but our top targets did not take the job, he was third or fourth down the list at least... We had already lost our coach we had to get SOMEONE!.. Now we are not likely to be able to pay a buyout, let alone pay to hire a high level coach, in any major sport for at least a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT