ADVERTISEMENT

Bball transfers

TAV31

Sep 1, 2011
I see we got a white guy from the citadel. Not exactly the transfers we need. I was hoping to read that we are on the guy from SMU that is leaving, but instead we're getting guys from a terrible in state school. Hopefully Carey Rich can help get the recruiting going.

I see we got a white guy from the citadel. Not exactly the transfers we need. I was hoping to read that we are on the guy from SMU that is leaving, but instead we're getting guys from a terrible in state school. Hopefully Carey Rich can help get the recruiting going.
Thanks for Welcoming the Young man, He didnt have to transfer here!!
I welcome him and hope he has an AMAZING Career at SOUTH CAROLINA

A "white guy"? In these politically correct times shouldn't all of the Caucasian segment of the population take offense to that term? Everybody else seems to, so time to join the victims party. In truth, with so many bolting the program, he has to fill out a roster, and USC had exactly the same amount of post season invites as the Citadel. So who knows, he might be better than what was here.

A "white guy"? In these politically correct times shouldn't all of the Caucasian segment of the population take offense to that term? Everybody else seems to, so time to join the victims party. In truth, with so many bolting the program, he has to fill out a roster, and USC had exactly the same amount of post season invites as the Citadel. So who knows, he might be better than what was here.
OOPS my bad, I was Politically incorrect with defending a WHITE guy, My reparations are in the MAIL..

Not sure I agree with you... He's exactly what we need, an in-state transfer that can shoot. Our issues over the past 3 seasons has been our lack of a mid-range game. We need guys like this in the program who are stable, knowledgeable and capable to perform at this level. You build a program with stability.

Not sure I agree with you... He's exactly what we need, an in-state transfer that can shoot. Our issues over the past 3 seasons has been our lack of a mid-range game. We need guys like this in the program who are stable, knowledgeable and capable to perform at this level. You build a program with stability.
BUT!! Come ON MAN, he is apparently WHITE!!

Did he actually commit? I haven't seen it anywhere.... I know he visited this past weekend, but that's all I've seen/heard/read.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
The guy has a name and it’s Hayden Brown. He has not committed yet, but has us in his Top 3 after visiting. It makes sense as Paris has seen him play several times while coaching in the Southern Conference. Played H.S. ball at Byrnes. Good player that ends up at a mid-major because he is a couple inches short for his position. 6-5, 225, but averaged almost 19 a game at the Citadel. By no means a stiff. Don’t get wrapped up in stereotypes. He can improve as a 3 Pount shooter. He shot 28% from 3 Point Range, but he is crafty and tough around the basket and he really competes. I was impressed with him in the couple of times I saw him in the Southern Conference tournament last month.

What I heard on 107.5 is that he is a 6'5" forward. I don't think we need a forward in the SEC that is only 6'5". If he were a shooting guard that might be great, but not at forward.

What I heard on 107.5 is that he is a 6'5" forward. I don't think we need a forward in the SEC that is only 6'5". If he were a shooting guard that might be great, but not at forward.
If Brandon Martin can get 10-12 minutes a game here, this guy can definitely play and succeed. Skilled player that will surprise. Only reason he wasn’t recruited heavily was that he is 6-5 and mostly plays the 4.

Reactions: Jbouton2
Damn, no short player has ever made it in the SEC as a forward. Last time I checked, Charles Barkley was 6'4"...I think he was pretty good in the SEC. The kid has some ability and if he chooses to come here, and Paris thinks he has the talent....bring him on....I don't care if he's blue, magenta, yellow or orange sometimes....If he can Ball and can help us get to the next level, bring his Ass (whatever color it maybe) on in here and let's go.... Go Gamecocks!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The guy has offers from Loyola (Chicago) and Georgia Tech. So, we may not even get him. Loyola was in tournament this year and Georgia Tech was in the tournament last year. This is not a prospect that we should turn our nose up to by any means.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Damn, no short player has ever made it in the SEC as a forward. Last time I checked, Charles Barkley was 6'4"...I think he was pretty good in the SEC. The kid has some ability and if he chooses to come here, and Paris thinks he has the talent....bring him on....I don't care if he's blue, magenta, yellow or orange sometimes....If he can Ball and can help us get to the next level, bring his Ass (whatever color it maybe) on in here and let's go.... Go Gamecocks!!!!!!!!
BUT BUT BUT!!! He is WHITE, come on Man....... he cant be WHITE!! What are you thinking??

I didn't refer to color, only size. So you think a 6'5" forward from the Citadel will be able to compete with 6'7" and 6'8" athletic forwards in the SEC? SMH. Where do you people come from?

If Brandon Martin can get 10-12 minutes a game here, this guy can definitely play and succeed. Skilled player that will surprise. Only reason he wasn’t recruited heavily was that he is 6-5 and mostly plays the 4.
Uhhhhh..... Isn't that what I just said?????

Uhhhhh..... Isn't that what I just said?????
.....and this is where misses in evaluations begin. This is why schools like Wofford routinely beat us. Yes, you would like a 6-7 to 6-8 athlete at forward. You wish you could get lucky and have a 6-10 athlete like Jabari Smith. However, you don’t just recruit size to the point of sacrificing actual basketball skill. All 6-5 is not created equal. Brown is a solid 225 lbs. He will be able to keep taller players off their spot in the post and push them out. He will be able to rebound. Yes, he will get his shot blocked some, but those larger players will have to keep up with him as he can put the ball on the floor. My point was that he is not Brandon Martin. So, he is definitely good enough for us. I would say that we are not doing our due diligence if we didn’t recruit him.

Last edited:
I didn't refer to color, only size. So you think a 6'5" forward from the Citadel will be able to compete with 6'7" and 6'8" athletic forwards in the SEC? SMH. Where do you people come from?
Lol, I was just kidding about the color nonsense. I think he will be a player and we will be lucky if he decides to enroll at Carolina. Championship teams are built on the shoulders of guys like this, maybe not as talented as the stars, but they know their roles (Saxton and Beals). Go Gamecocks.

Hehe. I knew the white comment would get the thread going. I hope he's the next Larry Bird, but I'm just being honest. We need that one superstar to turn heads. It doesn't have to be this off-season but definitely next off-season we will need to land a top 5 transfer. A Rattler version for bball. Something to get the media talking about us. We don't need a 7yr plan built around trying to do things the old way. Buy coach Paris the players he needs. Plain and simple.

Nah, we're strong enough to not let words cripple us.

Lol, I was just kidding about the color nonsense. I think he will be a player and we will be lucky if he decides to enroll at Carolina. Championship teams are built on the shoulders of guys like this, maybe not as talented as the stars, but they know their roles (Saxton and Beals). Go Gamecocks.
Your argument falls flat. Beal was the #12 ranked player in the country when she signed, ILL Gatorade Player of the year, and a McDonald's All-American. Saxon was ranked in the top 50 in the country. These are very talented stars, not transfers from a Southern Conference school.

.....and this is where misses in evaluations begin. This is why schools like Wofford routinely beat us. Yes, you would like a 6-7 to 6-8 athlete at forward. You wish you could get lucky and have a 6-10 athlete like Jabari Smith. However, you don’t just recruit size to the point of sacrificing actual basketball skill. All 6-5 is not created equal. Brown is a solid 225 lbs. He will be able to keep taller players off their spot in the post and push them out. He will be able to rebound. Yes, he will get his shot blocked some, but those larger players will have to keep up with him as he can put the ball on the floor. My point was that he is not Brandon Martin. So, he is definitely good enough for us. I would say that we are not doing our due diligence if we didn’t recruit him.
There is a reason why he was not highly recruited and ended up at The Citadel. At 6-5 and 225 he does not have the length nor quickness he will encounter in the SEC. The only reason he may be good enough for us is because we have no one else. Unless we get some quality transfers, which isn't likely, we will be fielding a high school team next year.

Reactions: TAV31
There is a reason why he was not highly recruited and ended up at The Citadel. At 6-5 and 225 he does not have the length nor quickness he will encounter in the SEC. The only reason he may be good enough for us is because we have no one else. Unless we get some quality transfers, which isn't likely, we will be fielding a high school team next year.
....Have you seen the kid play? If not, you are just talking based upon preconceived notions. I have watched him 2-3 times and I am telling you that he is better than what we were trotting our there on a lot of nights. Remember that we were playing
6’6”, 185 lbs Keyshawn Bryant at the 4 for a lot of minutes. We didn’t have these long 6’7” to 6’8” inch inch athletes you are craving since Chris Silva left so I don’t get the big objection.

....Have you seen the kid play? If not, you are just talking based upon preconceived notions. I have watched him 2-3 times and I am telling you that he is better than what we were trotting our there on a lot of nights. Remember that we were playing
6’6”, 185 lbs Keyshawn Bryant at the 4 for a lot of minutes. We didn’t have these long 6’7” to 6’8” inch inch athletes you are craving since Chris Silva left so I don’t get the big objection.
Exactly!!

I coached against this kid when he was at Byrnes. Brown helped lead Byrnes to a state championship and is a decent player. He’s a tweener. Not really big enough to be a post. Not a good enough ball handler to be a true guard. He can shoot from mid range on in. He is scrappy and hits the boards and does all the little things.

For the crew dissing the fact that he played at the Citadel, it would be good to remember that Baylor won a title a year ago with transfers from Presbyterian and NC Asheville.

As many in this thread know, I have not been excited about the new hire. However I cannot knock Paris for reaching out to this kid. Loyola Chicago knows basketball and he has an offer from them as well.

Your argument falls flat. Beal was the #12 ranked player in the country when she signed, ILL Gatorade Player of the year, and a McDonald's All-American. Saxon was ranked in the top 50 in the country. These are very talented stars, not transfers from a Southern Conference school.
Steph Curry played three years at a Southern Conference school. This kid has averaged 19 and 10 on 51% shooting for the last two years. I don’t care if it is the Southern Conference. A double-double is a double-double. What kid on our previous roster averaged a double-double since high school?

I've never been to a Citadel game, so no. When you watched him what kind of competition was he playing against? ACC? SEC? or Southern Conf? I don't think there is any comparison to Keyshawn Bryant. Bryant is a freakish athlete who can jump out of the gym. Are you saying this guy is like that? If Bryant could shoot he would've been all conference, but sadly he couldn't make any shots that weren't slam dunks - but he was awesome to watch when he did that. He could also block shots of guys bigger than he is. Can this guy do that? At 225 how quick is he on his feet? Can he defend against super quick athletes he will be facing in the SEC? Or Is he another Justin Minaya?

Steph Curry played three years at a Southern Conference school. This kid has averaged 19 and 10 on 51% shooting for the last two years. I don’t care if it is the Southern Conference. A double-double is a double-double. What kid on our previous roster averaged a double-double since high school?
Oh for God's sake, don't be ridiculous. Steph Curry was one in a million athlete at Davidson. Are you saying this kid is Steph Curry? Sure, a double double is exactly the same against Auburn as it is against Furman, riiigghhhtt! If he comes here, then get back with me next year and let me know how many double doubles he has in SEC play.

I've never been to a Citadel game, so no. When you watched him what kind of competition was he playing against? ACC? SEC? or Southern Conf? I don't think there is any comparison to Keyshawn Bryant. Bryant is a freakish athlete who can jump out of the gym. Are you saying this guy is like that? If Bryant could shoot he would've been all conference, but sadly he couldn't make any shots that weren't slam dunks - but he was awesome to watch when he did that. He could also block shots of guys bigger than he is. Can this guy do that? At 225 how quick is he on his feet? Can he defend against super quick athletes he will be facing in the SEC? Or Is he another Justin Minaya?
He is not the leaper that Bryant is, but the skill level is not close. Overall, Brown is the better player and the reason we are actually having to compete for his services. Tough kid. Stood out to me because I was like who is this guy that looks like a football player giving Chattanooga the business.

Last edited:
Oh for God's sake, don't be ridiculous. Steph Curry was one in a million athlete at Davidson. Are you saying this kid is Steph Curry? Sure, a double double is exactly the same against Auburn as it is against Furman, riiigghhhtt! If he comes here, then get back with me next year and let me know how many double doubles he has in SEC play.
I don’t think he insinuated this young man was Steph Curry, but I agree with him 100% that this man could turn out to be a good player, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the fight in the dog!! Give him a chance if we are lucky enough for him to choose USC

I don’t think he insinuated this young man was Steph Curry, but I agree with him 100% that this man could turn out to be a good player, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the fight in the dog!! Give him a chance if we are lucky enough for him to choose USC
I think he insinuated that he could be great for us coming from The Citadel because Curry was great at Davidson. Otherwise, why would he have made that comparison? We all know there has never been a player in the Southern Conference like Curry and probably never will be again. That was a total aberration. Totally incomparable.

If this guy plays substantial amount of minutes for us, we will be a .500 at best team. It is what it is. Nothing wrong with helping fill out the rooster with this guy to help with practice and being the 7th or 8th guy to give someone a break.

Reactions: JGH 35
I watched Hayden Brown play in high school many times but never did we play Byrnes when he was there. He was a grinder, fundamentally sound, good footwork, could play in or out but mostly inside. It surprised me when he committed to The Citadel because in high school he had long hair. I guess he didn’t mind cutting it. I know he has great faith in Almighty God, which helps, and the discipline the The Citadel instills in most. He played in an entirely different system than he did in high school - Duggar Baucom’s teams are very up-tempo. I’ve seen him play 5 times in college, two of those on telly, twice at Wofford (a few months ago he played well at Wofford) and once at Greensboro.

I hope we get him. He would be a fine addition to the Gamecocks. May not be a starter, maybe could, but can get minutes and would be good to have in the locker room.

I think he insinuated that he could be great for us coming from The Citadel because Curry was great at Davidson. Otherwise, why would he have made that comparison? We all know there has never been a player in the Southern Conference like Curry and probably never will be again. That was a total aberration. Totally incomparable.
The actual point is that there is a lot of lazy evaluations in basketball based on size. Of course the likelihood of the guy having a career like Curry is nil. However, the reason both of them ended up in the Southern Conference is the same. People ignoring production and what they can do skill-wise for size. If this guy can just give us half of what he has been doing at a lower level that would be better than what we had. I am trying not to call out players by name, but some of you guys are acting like we have had Giannis playing the 4 for the past couple years.

He had 19 points and 4 rebounds against then #5 Duke last season.
He had 26 points and 6 rebounds against Georgia in the 2019-20 season.
He had 11 points and 4 rebounds against Texas in the 2018-19 season.
He had 22 points and 3 rebounds against Virginia Tech in the 2017-18 season.

Some of our fans are so clueless and stupid. I hate some of them sometimes.

He had 19 points and 4 rebounds against then #5 Duke last season.
He had 26 points and 6 rebounds against Georgia in the 2019-20 season.
He had 11 points and 4 rebounds against Texas in the 2018-19 season.
He had 22 points and 3 rebounds against Virginia Tech in the 2017-18 season.

Some of our fans are so clueless and stupid. I hate some of them sometimes.
Had 19 points 7 Rebs and 4 assist helping his team upset Pitt too. He’s not going to be our leading scorer, but the kid can play.

I wish we could place bets on this site. The guy won't average more than 5pts a game at best for us. Lord y'all. He'll be a glorified walk-on in the SEC at best. It's more of the same Frank Martin type players. Mostly average D1 players.
We want improvement from Frank's days correct?

I wish we could place bets on this site. The guy won't average more than 5pts a game at best for us. Lord y'all. He'll be a glorified walk-on in the SEC at best. It's more of the same Frank Martin type players. Mostly average D1 players.
We want improvement from Frank's days correct?
Lets our Choices are VERY limited!! lol, As for me, I AM GLAD, and Hope he does come play for the Gamecocks, hell it cant get any worse than sitting home year after year when the Tourneys comes around..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT