ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley or McIlwain?

wentzel25

Feb 13, 2006
With both now coming in for this season, who do you think winds up being our Qb of the future and why?

Orth will start the season and then who knows after that.
I actually kind of doubt that. McIlwain has apparently looked really good taking first string snaps. He's a smart kid, so he won't struggle to learn the playbook. He has much better skills all the way around than Orth.

I have no idea how Bentley factors into the equation. It's a nice problem to have, however.

Reactions: wentzel25
I honestly don't know that much about Bentley other that he's a 4-star QB.

Everything I've seen and hear from Mcllwain gives me the impression he'll be our guy this year.

Except that the Byrnes offense and the Opelika offense have a LOT of similarities to Ropers offense.
Who knows what might happen, you're right. I would be shocked and pleased if he could progress and mature that quickly.Nice problem to have though.

Bentley by far has the most impressive film of any QB signee I've seen. This will make an interesting battle.

Reactions: simms2000
Kinda putting the cart before the horse neither one has taken a snap yet.
Agree. My hope is that Orth or B.M. step up next season and Bentley can take a redshirt year. That said, if Bentley is better than Orth or B.M., let him play.

I would hate to see Bentley (or for that matter B.M.) take a few snaps after the 5th game and lose their chance to redshirt.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Where does Scar land among all of this? He never had his chance to see the field last season & now he may never get a shot.

If Bentley does not redshirt, it will mean a loooong season. If ANY QB looses the job to Bentley, then Lord help us this season.

If Bentley does not redshirt, it will mean a loooong season. If ANY QB looses the job to Bentley, then Lord help us this season.
It's likely to be a looooog season regardless of the QB. May make sense to take your lumps with the QB of the future (J.B. and/or B.M).

Reactions: LazyIslander
Except that the Byrnes offense and the Opelika offense have a LOT of similarities to Ropers offense.

Yeah but he wasn't getting grilled by SEC defenses every week. U do know we have the same OLine coach right? He better thicken up a little in the weight room real quick

I never saw Bentley enrolling early coming. I thought BMc would get the nod this year, Bentley would play his senior HS season, and enroll at USC for the 2017 season. Then he and BMc would compete for the job, with BMc remaining the starter, and Bentley taking a redshirt, putting 2 years between them. After 2017, the job would be up for grabs unless BMc really stepped up, and just took it. It's going to suck royally, if Bentley gets the job, and BMc transfers. Mitch, Orth, or Nunez could still get in the mix too. It's going to really motivate these guys or blow up in our face. Clemson is also stacked at QB, so it's going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Obviously there will be some transfers and/or position changes with Orth, Mitch, Scarnecchia and Nunez.

I think conventional wisdom would say former walk-on Orth is a likely transfer candidate, but he has the most experience on the roster. It's not great experience, but more than Mitch and Nunez. Nunez offers versatility as a wildcat option and could play and Hback/WR role. Puts Scarnecchia and Mitch on watch in my mind.

Would be nice if Mitch really stepped up and established himself as the starter coming out of Spring, but it doesn't look that way.

Can see Mcilwain, Orth and Nunez as the active QBs, with Bentley as the redshirt-- Mitch and Scarnecchia moving on.

Lots of speculation...and this is just my opinion as someone who attended both practices. BMAC is a good however not overly impressive. The quick pass scheme doesn't allow for throwing lanes to develop. This hurts BMac's ability to see/find the open recievers...very similar to Orth's issue last year. When you're short its hard to snap the ball down towards your reciever. Thats why many balls sail. I believe the taller Bentley has as much of a chance as anyone to start. Additionally Bentley.. gets plays and offensive concepts early...through his father. You have to assume coach Bentley has tremendous insight and is telling his kid there's a big opportunity at USC. Your not bringing your kid in... to sit the bench. Going to be a very interesting summer/fall.

Please be good! I don't care who just one of the QB's on the roster.

I understand it would be very unlikely for several reasons but how cool would it be if Bentley were to beat the taters as a high school senior in gamecock clothing.

I deal with legal imponderables every day at work. It's my job to try to come up with an answer that is consistent with other advice and guidance that we have previously given. But we generally know the facts when we give advice. If we don't, we either ask for more information on specific facts or we give advice that differs based on how key factual determinations turn out.

Let's apply this to the current context. We have no idea how to evaluate the relative skills of these kids. "Who throws better" and "who runs faster" seem relevant, and to some extent they are. But what are we trying to accomplish? Are we looking for a passer who can run, or a runner who can pass? We don't know.

Not to mention that the coaches won't see the guys side-by-side until at least this summer, and then only in limited drills. Unless some of you: (a) have seen both players extensively in high school ball; or (2) can somehow compare and contrast "highlight" films meaningfully, you are wasting you time.

It's not just running or throwing but having the intelligence and wit to do either or both to the biggest advantage. Shaw didn't have the strongest arm, he had the quickest mind and best reflexive reactions.

I actually kind of doubt that. McIlwain has apparently looked really good taking first string snaps. He's a smart kid, so he won't struggle to learn the playbook. He has much better skills all the way around than Orth.

I have no idea how Bentley factors into the equation. It's a nice problem to have, however.
Maybe Boom will use a dual threat QB system, and/or special situations.maybe put both in at same time inside the ten?

I suspect Bentley and McElwain will be #1 and #2 in some order, and will both get meaningful snaps. None of the others will ever receive another snap at QB in a Gamecock uniform, unless it's in a mop up situation (or possible in a Wildcat formation for Nunez)..

Let's apply this to the current context. We have no idea how to evaluate the relative skills of these kids. "Who throws better" and "who runs faster" seem relevant, and to some extent they are. But what are we trying to accomplish? Are we looking for a passer who can run, or a runner who can pass? We don't know

I think that is an interesting paragraph you've written.

There's a real attention span problem on this board, so I won't bore anyone with a long argument and wall of text.

But I personally have come to the conclusion that a "runner who can pass" makes for a stronger offense than a "passer who can run."

What do I know though? I believe the spread is the best offensive formation in college football, mainly because it forces the defense to play 11 on 11 because the qb is a run threat.

Unlike Malzahn and the other hurry up guys, I'd rather see us do what Nevada did under Chris Ault and have a strong ball control offense. In other words always think run first, then if the defense is bound and determined to stop that, take the pass plays they open themselves up for.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Lots of speculation...and this is just my opinion as someone who attended both practices. BMAC is a good however not overly impressive. The quick pass scheme doesn't allow for throwing lanes to develop. This hurts BMac's ability to see/find the open recievers...very similar to Orth's issue last year. When you're short its hard to snap the ball down towards your reciever. Thats why many balls sail. I believe the taller Bentley has as much of a chance as anyone to start. Additionally Bentley.. gets plays and offensive concepts early...through his father. You have to assume coach Bentley has tremendous insight and is telling his kid there's a big opportunity at USC. Your not bringing your kid in... to sit the bench. Going to be a very interesting summer/fall.

McIlwain was 12-14 in the scrimmage on Saturday and by all reports Muschamp is really happy with his decision making. But it has taken a few practices for him to get caught up to the speed of the game. I think Bentley will have a tough time coming in and beating out BMac. I think if BMac stays healthy, he is the starter and Bentley will redshirt.

Most people seem to have taken this question as just for the coming season. By qb of the future, what I'm really curious about is the next 2-3 years. I think that is more important. There's no question we will struggle this year. Once we get the ball rolling again, though, who is the long-term answer?

McIlwain was 12-14 in the scrimmage on Saturday and by all reports Muschamp is really happy with his decision making. But it has taken a few practices for him to get caught up to the speed of the game. I think Bentley will have a tough time coming in and beating out BMac. I think if BMac stays healthy, he is the starter and Bentley will redshirt.
In my opinion, this is best case scenario (BMac winning the job and Bentley redshirting). Let Bentley and BMac fight it out next year for the starting positon.

Most people seem to have taken this question as just for the coming season. By qb of the future, what I'm really curious about is the next 2-3 years. I think that is more important. There's no question we will struggle this year. Once we get the ball rolling again, though, who is the long-term answer?

Even the coaches don't know that yet. They won't know until both have played in real games.

If our defense hasn't improved, going 12/14 ain't all that special:(

Who knows what might happen, you're right. I would be shocked and pleased if he could progress and mature that quickly.Nice problem to have though.

Not to mention his dad knows our offense/playbook. Doubt he's been sitting around the house waiting to enroll.

Bently is coming in early to get his redshirt out of the way. BMac will compete this year so there will be seperation between the two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT