ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley working on mechanics along with the Fromm brothers

looking at South Carolina two previous bowl games, do you think Michigan and Virginia defenses are about equal? Bryan Edwards and Shi Smith did score touchdowns against Michigan.
Hard to say. On paper, Michigan was probably better. But UVA clearly wanted it more and came out full of piss and vinegar.

Reactions: jimnasium
We played absolutely nobody in 2017. Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee were in borderline mutiny. We got away with it bc of the schedule.

Agreed. We never won against a top team in 2017 except Michigan. Yes, we had 9 wins but as you point out Ark, FL, and Tenn were reeling that year. We escaped LaTech. Not as good as the record implies.

Well the whos who of college football experts have definitely lost faith in Bentley. I am not seeing him on any preseason lists like I did the year before. They see something wrong too. I hope he can fix it. If he does then this could be a special season. I am pulling hard for him.

Is there a camp for fat ass people that sit on their ass and drink PBR and criticize others??? Oh yeah, a message board.

Holy $&@@ that Camp would be the size of Yellowstone and Yosemite combined . Might not be enough PBR in the world to meet the demand !!

We had only won 3 games two years prior...9 wins is 9 wins.

Totally disagree. All wins are not equal. That is just plain silly. Beating Alabama in 2010 is not the same as beating Charleston Southern in .... pick s year. Also, all losses are not equal.

Totally disagree. All wins are not equal. That is just plain silly. Beating Alabama in 2010 is not the same as beating Charleston Southern in .... pick s year. Also, all losses are not equal.
They all add up to the same in the end. We lost to the citadel in 2015 now that was silly.

They all add up to the same in the end. We lost to the citadel in 2015 now that was silly.

That’s the point isn’t it? That year, Losing to the Citadel was much worse than losing to Georgia. Losses are not equal too!

Reactions: Jpcooper
Felt like he never developed a trust of the OL last year. IMO, they made vast improvements in QB protection but the year before was so bad, Jake never seemed to get over it and move on. At least that's the way it looked to me. Could be wrong. Maybe he's just not cut out for the job. Or maybe he needs a lot more help than he is getting. Idk. Hope he has a good senior year and beats someone noteworthy.

That’s the point isn’t it? That year, Losing to the Citadel was much worse than losing to Georgia. Losses are not equal too!
Every team has easy wins . Of course beating Bama is a bigger win but you don't get extra credit for it. The schedule is made years in advance . Florida was a powerhouse probably when it was scheduled. If who you beat mattered Clemson would be among the luckiest teams out there they have a weak schedule. A win against Wofford still goes on the same side as the win over Bama.

Somebody alert UGA that FROMM is working on his footwork proving he is trash!!!!!!!
Surely the UGA fans will tear him to pieces........Unless they are better fans than us.

Spoiler alert..... they are.

Reactions: rogue cock
Every team has easy wins . Of course beating Bama is a bigger win but you don't get extra credit for it. The schedule is made years in advance . Florida was a powerhouse probably when it was scheduled. If who you beat mattered Clemson would be among the luckiest teams out there they have a weak schedule. A win against Wofford still goes on the same side as the win over Bama.

Clemson winning is another issue. Don’t muddy the waters.

You do get extra credit for beating Bama. It’s called your strength of schedule. All else equal the s-o-s comes into play.

You do get extra credit for beating Bama. It’s called your strength of schedule. All else equal the s-o-s comes into play.
Right the extra credit is a "W". Since when strength of schedule ever come into play with us? If you compare the schedules Clemson plays an overall weaker schedule but still makes the playoffs because of their W-L record of 15-0. Wins matter in the end no matter who they are over, the strength of schedule went out when the BCS went out. Every team in the playoffs beat weaker teams that season. We won 9 games in 2017 and were underdogs in most of them remember? Any win after a 2015 three win season, and a six win in 2016, were big wins, give us the credit for winning and not give the other teams pity for having a down season. We didn't schedule it that way. When we have a surprise season it's always because the other teams just aren't good I guess. If beating a weaker team doesn't matter why even keep the score?

Right the extra credit is a "W". Since when strength of schedule ever come into play with us? If you compare the schedules Clemson plays an overall weaker schedule but still makes the playoffs because of their W-L record of 15-0. Wins matter in the end no matter who they are over, the strength of schedule went out when the BCS went out. Every team in the playoffs beat weaker teams that season. We won 9 games in 2017 and were underdogs in most of them remember? Any win after a 2015 three win season, and a six win in 2016, were big wins, give us the credit for winning and not give the other teams pity for having a down season. We didn't schedule it that way. When we have a surprise season it's always because the other teams just aren't good I guess. If beating a weaker team doesn't matter why even keep the score?

Jimnasium, this is not about not giving us credit for our wins. They are credited. Period. However, as another poster noted these teams -UT, UF, another were struggling that year. We also escapedLaTech in the last minute. Hopefully, we can beat UT, UF this year. These would be great wins. Muschamp has got the troops that he recruited. I hope he can marshall this into wins. .

I see what you're saying. But a win over number 1 Bama will always be held in higher regard over Vandy or Wake, if only for the short term.

I see what you're saying. But a win over number 1 Bama will always be held in higher regard over Vandy or Wake, if only for the short term.
I agree but a lost to a weak team hurts as much as the bigger win helps the team. The highs are never as high as the lows are low. JMO

Jimnasium, this is not about not giving us credit for our wins. They are credited. Period. However, as another poster noted these teams -UT, UF, another were struggling that year. We also escapedLaTech in the last minute. Hopefully, we can beat UT, UF this year. These would be great wins. Muschamp has got the troops that he recruited. I hope he can marshall this into wins. .
I understand your points. Just win period.

But those weaker teams enjoy beating us that much more. So yes, all wins and losses are not equal.
And we have been known to lose to them...lol. I remember the loss to the Citadel (for an example) hurt more than the win over Bama made me grin. They just seem to hang around longer and are talked about more. We have won some big games in our history only to choke the next week against a team we should have murdered. Were we a good team against the strong team and and a bad the next Sat.? We were the same team. I don't take any win for granted I want to win them all. JMO y'all.

The teams we played the 3 win season were no better, no worse than those we played in our 9 win season.....so the comparison between those two seasons are relevant and justifiable.

Now, don't go around posting that you want to play a Clemson-style schedule to get ahead....because in today's football SOS means nothing.

Reactions: jimnasium
I would love to see him improve his speed, foot work and keep defenses on their toes with his ability to run.

The teams we played the 3 win season were no better, no worse than those we played in our 9 win season.....so the comparison between those two seasons are relevant and justifiable.

Now, don't go around posting that you want to play a Clemson-style schedule to get ahead....because in today's football SOS means nothing.

You forgetting something. In one season we had a coach quit.

If I recall correctly did not UF win the East in our 3 win season? They were struggling in the next when we beat them.

Clemson style schedule? Where did that come from?

If I recall correctly did not UF win the East in our 3 win season? They were struggling in the next when we beat them.
Yes....someone had to....and we play the East Champion EVERY year. They won it with pure defense (Muschamp's defense). Their offense in McElwain's first year was worse than the previous year under Muschamp.

I believe if he would spend all his time working on getting in track shape and increasing his speed he would be much better off. Maybe he needs to lose a few lbs and muscle up his legs. It sure can't hurt.

I believe if he would spend all his time working on getting in track shape and increasing his speed he would be much better off. Maybe he needs to lose a few lbs and muscle up his legs. It sure can't hurt.
Bentley doesn't need to become a running QB. We don't run the spread option anymore. He simply needs good pocket awareness and the ability to scramble when it breaks down.

Yes....someone had to....and we play the East Champion EVERY year. They won it with pure defense (Muschamp's defense). Their offense in McElwain's first year was worse than the previous year under Muschamp.

You are spinning this. Keep it up.

Bentley’s issue is not his passing mechanics because his touch is pretty darn good. What plagues him is his reaction to pressure or when things go awry. That’s when he is most susceptible to making bad passes or plays. There were no signs of improvement in this area last season which is quite baffling and disappointing considering it was his third season.

No spin. Facts.

Facts yes. We lost to UF in the year they were up (evidenced by their East Championship) and beat them next year when UF was down (and the McIlwain got fired). Don't spin it like we play UF every year and that they were good in the year we beat them.

This year if we beat UF, then Muschamp will receive credt for nbeating a worthy opponent.

Facts yes. We lost to UF in the year they were up (evidenced by their East Championship) and beat them next year when UF was down (and the McIlwain got fired). Don't spin it like we play UF every year and that they were good in the year we beat them.

This year if we beat UF, then Muschamp will receive credt for nbeating a worthy opponent.
You initially brought up UF, not I. I never said we beat them when they were good. Every year someone will be the East Champion and we will play them...we may win, we may not.

All I stated was that the schedule we played during the 3 win season wasn't appreciably more difficult than the one where we won 9 games. For whatever damned reason, you pulled UF out of your rear and tried to make a point with them...and not a good one.

Bentley doesn't need to become a running QB. We don't run the spread option anymore. He simply needs good pocket awareness and the ability to scramble when it breaks down.
So you are saying you are satisfied with his running ability and speed? If he could add a couple of steps and at least be more of a running threat, would he not be a better QB. He looks to be in much better shape in the clips I've seen, maybe he has been working on being more pf a weapon. I guess we'll see.

So you are saying you are satisfied with his running ability and speed? If he could add a couple of steps and at least be more of a running threat, would he not be a better QB. He looks to be in much better shape in the clips I've seen, maybe he has been working on being more pf a weapon. I guess we'll see.
Yes, I'm satisfied....other than his awareness of when to give up on the pass and run. We don't need him to be a running threat if our RBs do what they are supposed to do.

Reactions: PC31
That is a very accurate assessment about Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida (McElwain and Jones fired during the season and Bielema shortly after the season). South Carolina pretty much plays the same conference schedule every year with the exception of one team rotating in the western division. If you look at South Carolina four defeats that season, two of the teams advanced to the college football playoffs.
Which two teams advanced to the playoffs off of last years schedule?

I like Bentley and believe the kid wants to win as much as anybody. He's been inconsistent to date but that's par for the course for the entire offense, from what I've seen.

That, and the play calling seems seat of the pants and counter intuitive at times ... the runs working, so let's pass. Pass working, let's try a run. It's like we keep ourselves off balance at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT