ADVERTISEMENT

Booing...A Perspective and an Honest Question for Anti- Boo-ers

CavDad62

Sep 9, 2010
Full disclosure...Half-Scholarship donor for 26 years, get 4 season tickets each years, support all Gamecock athletics and a 1988 graduate of USC.

Also, I'm not a proponent of booing.

Unlike the anti-boo crowd, though, I don't believe booing affects recruiting decisions, other coaching staffs using it against us in recruiting, etc. It is what it is, and each school has portions of its fan base that voice their displeasure by booing.

My Perspective...74 years ago, our country sent its 18-year old, high school graduate KIDS into the beaches of Normandy, only for our KIDS to witness the horror of war, their friends get gunned down, shot in the head, and watch while crews on Higgins boats get summarily executed by German gunnery when the doors dropped on those boats. Our KIDS, the ones that survived, watched their friends die, watched their friends pick up severed limbs and try to seek safety of from the horrendous number of bullets aimed at their bodies.

Today, we continue to send hundreds of thousands of our brightest and eager 18-year olds into war zones, get legs and arms torn off by roadside bombs, see their friends brought home in body bags.

Conversely, each Saturday in the fall, thousands of college athletes run out on a football field, athletes who have been given every advantage in the world within the sport. Yes, they work their asses off. They also get a free education, free clothes, the best weight rooms in the world, the best nutritional staffs in the world, each and every tutoring perk known to man, fly to games in charter jets, get the hands-off treatment through their schooling years because of their athletic prowess.

I have no problem with that...its how it is.

So I should be concerned about a 20-year old's ability to get over a few boos from the crowd? Really? Nah...I don't think I'll get to upset about that.

Kids younger than these guys fight for their lives every day. They defend a country while taking live bullets. They come home with legs missing, eyes blown out, and their minds altered.

Forgive me if I don't pout too much about a few molly-coddled athletes getting booed.

SERIOUS QUESTION FOR ANTI-BOO FOLKS

Your program is steeped in mediocrity, around 20 games over .500 in 126 years of football, your team can't score in the first half of many football games, your team looks like the coaches have never reviewed tapes of the team you are playing, you have sub-par QB performance every significant game that is played, your NFL quality WRs drop passes like they've never played the sport, you get numerous unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (coaching problem?), your offense continues to look like a middle school offense, and Dutch Fork High School would give you a battle, at least for a half. You buy your tickets, support your school, holler for your teams, and continually get less than adequate coaching, performance, and improvement (at least for the men's sports).

So as a fan, WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO INSTEAD OF BOO? Answer that question.

Stop giving money to the program? Stop going to the games? Clap during these sub-par performances? Sit their during the game quietly like your watching a funeral?

Anti-booers, what are you supposed to do when sub-par coaching, performance, and improvement are the hallmarks of your football program?

Don't want boos? Put a product on the field that looks eager to perform, a coaching plan that looks like someone actually watched film, and perform a lot better than what we've treated to for over 126 years.

I'm not so concerned about winning and losing. I would really be pleased if we showed up each week like a well-coached, well-prepared team that always gave all-out effort and a team that always played the best players, regardless who they are. I can take losing if we put all that on the field. We haven't seen a lot of that over the history of our program. Sad that we have all the tools to be a lot better than we are...but continually underachieve.

The next step after booing comes apathy and not caring anymore. You talk about killing a program, apathy will do it. If you tell fans they can't vent their frustrations (which are warranted) then the next step is then saying "oh well I'll find something else to do. They don't care, why should I. I can't watch this insanity anymore". Then you are in a world of crap as a program. Our administration thinks our fans will stick around no matter what, they forgot that Spurrier changed all that. This is a different animal now.

The next step after booing comes apathy and not caring anymore. You talk about killing a program, apathy will do it. If you tell fans they can't vent their frustrations (which are warranted) then the next step is then saying "oh well I'll find something else to do. They don't care, why should I. I can't watch this insanity anymore". Then you are in a world of crap as a program. Our administration thinks our fans will stick around no matter what, they forgot that Spurrier changed all that. This is a different animal now.
Agree. It's one thing to have angry fans but when the fans become apathetic and do not care anymore that's when you know the program is at a breaking point.

I've suggested it previously, but how about 'AWWWWW' as a vocal reaction from unhappy fans? I heard this on tv years ago from a crowd out West, and I thought it was really funny and declaratory,i.e. we're upset, unhappy, etc. about what just happened - dropped an easy pass, missed a sure field goal, drew an offside penalty on third and goal with 30 seconds remaining in the game, etc., but we don't hate you for it. College kids would, I think, get the message: "Get your head outta your ass!"

Hallelujah, AMEN!!!

Reactions: gamecockfan04

If people just gotta boo to make themselves feel satisfied, then boo the man who makes millions a year, not the student athlete QB

If people just gotta boo to make themselves feel satisfied, then boo the man who makes millions a year, not the student athlete QB
Honestly I think the booing was directed at the stupid decision to play him because everyone knew he was going to throw a pick and as soon as he did here came the Boos. It's not Jakes fault that he's not any good. Spurrier said once "son it's not your fault, it's our fault for putting you out there".

Honestly I think the booing was directed at the stupid decision to play him because everyone knew he was going to throw a pick and as soon as he did here came the Boos. It's not Jakes fault that he's not any good. Spurrier said once "son it's not your fault, it's our fault for putting you out there".

I repeat..from an earlier post:
So you want to bench the player who was the starter last year, the starter this year and will be the starter next year for a guy who is a 5th year senior and started one game in his 5 years at SC and who will leave the program in 6 weeks..gotcha...that will really help the program moving forward...not

Reactions: Carolina4
I repeat..from an earlier post:
So you want to bench the player who was the starter last year, the starter this year and will be the starter next year for a guy who is a 5th year senior and started one game in his 5 years at SC and who will leave the program in 6 weeks..gotcha...that will really help the program moving forward...not
We were lead to believe there was a big drop off from Jake to Scar. That turned out to be a flat out lie which is why Muschamp is trying to do all he can to stomp out that fire. What's good for the program going forward is winning. That's ALL that people are interested in. Hurt feelings, mad daddy's, all of that stuff be dammed.

We were lead to believe there was a big drop off from Jake to Scar. That turned out to be a flat out lie which is why Muschamp is trying to do all he can to stomp out that fire. What's good for the program going forward is winning. That's ALL that people are interested in. Hurt feelings, mad daddy's, all of that stuff be dammed.

Scarnecchia is not better than Bentley....

Scarnecchia is not better than Bentley....

But they’ve seen one game against a crappy Missouri defense. We didn’t even light up that defense. Very fortunate Mizzou dropped two easy Interceptions.

They saw Scarnecchia do what Bentley has done to Missouri twice. But somehow that means Scarnecchia > Bentley. It would be the dumbest move to go to Scarnecchia at this point. 2 years ago, maybe. But nobody complained about Bentley 2 years ago.

The daddy comments are completely ridiculous. There is no merit to it but in his mind that’s why Bentley plays. Forget all the other reasons it makes sense...nope. The RB coach makes the decision who starts at QB. Everyone knows that.

If you are booing 20 year olds...this game means too much to you. It’s a game. Paying your $ is your choice for entertainment. It doesn’t give you a free pass to act like an a$$hole. You can do it, but the 90% of the people see you for the pathetic loser you are being a grown man booing a 20 year old. And if you are a parent, God help you. I wouldn’t want my son going through what Bentley is going through...heck, I don’t want it for Ryan Hilinski either. His parents lost one son...what happens if Ryan doesn’t perform?

Last edited:
Reactions: KayakCock
But they’ve seen one game against a crappy Missouri defense. We didn’t even light up that defense. Very fortunate Mizzou dropped two easy Interceptions.

They saw Scarnecchia do what Bentley has done to Missouri twice. But somehow that means Scarnecchia > Bentley. It would be the dumbest move to go to Scarnecchia at this point. 2 years ago, maybe. But nobody complained about Bentley 2 years ago.

The daddy comments are completely ridiculous. There is no merit to it but in his mind that’s why Bentley plays. Forget all the other reasons it makes sense...nope. The RB coach makes the decision who starts at QB. Everyone knows that.
lol crappy defense huh? What if I told you Bama only put up 2 more points on them last night than we did. Held to their lowest point total all year. Way below what A&M held them too.

Reactions: gamecockfury
Sports are dumb. Learn to fish....
Hmm. A subject of debate: Is fishing a sport??

Fishing
5 OF 10
  1. Does it require physical exertion or ability? Sometimes

Does it require physical skill? Sometimes

Is it a competition? Sometimes

Fishing is all about the context in terms of whether it's a sport or not. When I lived in Minnesota in the middle of winter, people would drive out their trucks onto the ice, pull out their tent and prop it up.

Next, they drill a hole in the ice and drop a line. Then they rev up the generator, plug in the TV and drink beer and ice fish. That is not a sport.

Grabbing a cooler, throwing it on your row boat and paddling out to the middle of the lake where you get drunk with a line in the water is not a sport.

Neither of those things require any skill or exertion and have no competition, ergo they are not sports.

Hauling in a 50-pound tuna in a fishing tournament is another matter. Fishing is only a sport when it's a sport. Otherwise, it's just an outdoor hobby.

Verdict: Fishing is a sport sometimes.
    (Within that above link, scroll down to #5 if ya'd like)

lol crappy defense huh? What if I told you Bama only put up 2 more points on them last night than we did. Held to their lowest point total all year. Way below what A&M held them too.

Ok you believe their D is good. I’ll recognize that Bama had the game in hand, had a hurt QB and ran the clock down. But nah, go ahead and believe Missouri’s defense is good.

Ok you believe their D is good. I’ll recognize that Bama had the game in hand, had a hurt QB and ran the clock down. But nah, go ahead and believe Missouri’s defense is good.

That’s right. And believe our run defense is good. When a team can throw for almost 400 yds they don’t need to run

Last I looked Mizzu was either last or next to last in SEC pass defense.

You mean they played the same backup that led them all the way to the NC? Yeah, that really hamstrung their offense. Missouris defense is about on par with ours if you want to be honest. You can keep making excuses for bad QB play, I don't care.

Have you been living in a hole? Do you not realize Bama won in spite of Jalen Hurts playing QB? Huge drop off from Tua to Hurts. I mean...you honestly aren’t worth arguing with. It really proves that the majority of the boo’ers are a$$hats.

Have you seriously not seen a huge difference in Bama’s offense this year without Hurts?

Have you been living in a hole? Do you not realize Bama won in spite of Jalen Hurts playing QB? Huge drop off from Tua to Hurts. I mean...you honestly aren’t worth arguing with. It really proves that the majority of the boo’ers are a$$hats.
Too bad we can't win in spite of our QB and coaches that don't have a clue. Jake better beat the taters this year or he should get booed all the way back to Columbia. Don't get outplayed by a true freshman with long hair, for God sakes.

Reactions: gamecockfury
Too bad we can't win in spite of our QB and coaches that don't have a clue.

We definitely don’t have Nick Saban, the best defense in america, and the best players in college football. If you ever think we will you are in denial.

You mean they played the same backup that led them all the way to the NC? Yeah, that really hamstrung their offense. Missouris defense is about on par with ours if you want to be honest. You can keep making excuses for bad QB play, I don't care.

First time using the “ignore” button. Feels good. Right call.

We definitely don’t have Nick Saban, the best defense in america, and the best players in college football. If you ever think we will you are in denial.
Well neither do 130 other teams but you don't hear them saying "its only year 3, be patient, we need more time". Before the season it was "our offense is going to be on fire! Score a lot of points! You wait and see'!". It's time to win a game we aren't favored to win. The babysittting time is over.

Reactions: GC-Gamecock
Actually just read the 2nd part of this. You are so impossible to argue with. What does our defense have to do with Scarnecchia or Bentley? Neither of them have to face our defense. Our defense blows. But what the hell does that have to do with the discussion? This is what you do though...you are a moron that can’t stand on your argument so you grasp for whatever. It’s compeltely off topic now. Literally too dumb to have a discussion with. By far the dumbest poster on this board. You truly are pathetic.
What do you mean they never have to face our defense? THEY FACE THEM IN PRACTICE EVERY SINGLE DAY! We go good on good every day. People are tired of an unprepared team every week. There's no reason for it.

After this week Boos won’t be an issue because there will be 40,000 less voices in the stadium . If Tennessee spanks us at home it is gonna be hilarious. Looking forward to watching people’s heads explode .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT