ADVERTISEMENT

Candidates for new HC

Lane Kiffen. Don't laugh. He would be hungry and would put together one hell of a staff. My UTjr friends say to this day they wish he hadn't left.

If course first you would have to shoot Tanner. He'd have none of it.

Sorry , saying "don't laugh" doesn't make it not funny. He's had 2 good years as a head coach, mostly with other people's players. His time at Southern Cal is widely considered a disappointment, and last year's 5-7 @ FAU doesn't scream "hire me". Add on the fact that he's a giant d-bag and I'll pass.

I am keeping an eye on two coaches - the HCs at Kansas State and the other st Wyoming. This season will tell us more.

I and others don’t see it as one game but an extension of last year. We need to see improvements.

It does feel a little bit like Texas A&M two years ago, where people just had enough of Sumlin, and some of their biggest boosters said it was time to get serious about winning conference and national championships.

What’s interesting about that is, coming into this season A&M only has two more wins than South Carolina since 2000 and two fewer bowl wins. But we’re conditioned to think we’re stuck with being mediocre, whereas they’re ready to fire people and spend whatever it takes to put the best coaching staff in place.

*Yes, they have a better history, but it’s mostly from a 10 stretch from 85 - 95. Yes, they have more money, but it’s all relative.

Unfortunately, I think SC let two up and comer coaches slip away...
Shawn Elliott and Charlie Strong
Instead went for the big name for the 3rd time

well...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but the last 3 big names haven't exactly worked out as planned.
Like Muschamp as a person not sure that he is now or will ever be a big name coach.
Think that we got about all we could out of an aged Holtz.

Wouldn’t trade the Spurrier years for anything. He raised our expectations which is why we are so pissed off now.

Under no circumstances should we ever entertain the thoughts of the likes of strong or Elliott.

Here's my list of candidates. I would at least do a background check on all of them and narrow it down to 3-4. Then, I would put out feelers to gauge interest and then go after my top guy with a suitcase full of money. (But I will go on record as saying nothing will happen this year or next year.)

Current head coaches: (no particular order after the first 4)

Mike Leach - Washington State
Josh Heupel (Leach disciple) - Central Florida
Matt Campbell - Iowa State
Mike Norvell - Memphis
Luke Fickell - Cincinnati
Bronco Mendenhall (yes, that one) - UVA
PJ Fleck - Minnesota
Dino Babers - Syracuse

Also consider:

Bill Clark - UAB
Seth Littrell - North Texas State
Bryan Harsin - Boise State
Jay Norvell - Nevada

Current Coordinators:

Tony Elliott - Clemson
Jake Spavital - W. Virginia
Steve Sarkisian - Alabama
Kevin Stefanski - Minnesota Vikings

Here's my list of candidates. I would at least do a background check on all of them and narrow it down to 3-4. Then, I would put out feelers to gauge interest and then go after my top guy with a suitcase full of money. (But I will go on record as saying nothing will happen this year or next year.)

Mike Norvell - Memphis
PJ Fleck - Minnesota
Dino Babers - Syracuse

Also consider:

Bill Clark - UAB
Jay Norvell - Nevada

Current Coordinators:

Tony Elliott - Clemson

Mike Norvell - Memphis
PJ Fleck - Minnesota
Dino Babers - Syracuse

Also consider:

Bill Clark - UAB
Jay Norvell - Nevada

Current Coordinators:

Tony Elliott - Clemson
Really like Leach, Campbell and Norvell. Bronco what a great name for a coach. He must have been born out west where they have great names for male children-Blue, Stone, Rigging, etc.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Really like Leach, Campbell and Norvell. Bronco what a great name for a coach. He must have been born out west where they have great names for male children-Blue, Stone, Rigging, etc.

Bronco.....you know the one that ass raped USC last season in the bowl game his first year at Va.
He ain’t coming. Great motivator and coach.

Mike Norvell - Memphis
PJ Fleck - Minnesota
Dino Babers - Syracuse

Also consider:

Bill Clark - UAB
Jay Norvell - Nevada

Current Coordinators:

Tony Elliott - Clemson
The man to get would be Heupel. We need to go young and with an offensive guru. Maybe try to catch lightning in a bottle for a change and forget the retreads.

And yes Mike Leach is a retread. Not sure why his name comes up. Hasn’t coached in the southeast in decades and pushing 60. No thanks.

Elliot was beaten by the Citadel and was 2-9 at Ga. St. last year. Strong has been one loser to the next. They used to call him 3rd and long Charlie Strong cause he had no defense for it.

Brent Venables is best case, not that I think he'd come here. You get a good coach and Clemson loses their D coordinator

Did you see what happened to Charlie Strong last Thursday?!? Please look at some of the tape.
USF 0 - Wisc 49

Not Charlie Strong. Not ever. I didn't like it when he was here. Shawn Elliott beat UT, but what's he done other than that? If he wins 9 or 10 this year then maybe take a look but not right now ... not based on one upset.

Mike Norvell !!

I can see narrowing it down to a group like Norvell, Heupel, Fickell and Campbell and then see which one has the best interview. Decide on one and then go full speed to land him. Don't play around - make him a solid offer.

When Hyman decided on Frank Martin, the story goes that he went up to him after a KSU game, put a hand on each shoulder, looked him in the eyes and said, "Frank, you are the man I want to lead our basketball program." At least that's the way Frank Martin tells the story.

Like Muschamp as a person not sure that he is now or will ever be a big name coach.
Think that we got about all we could out of an aged Holtz.

Wouldn’t trade the Spurrier years for anything. He raised our expectations which is why we are so pissed off now.

Under no circumstances should we ever entertain the thoughts of the likes of strong or Elliott.
Elliot was beaten by the Citadel and was 2-9 at Ga. St. last year. Strong has been one loser to the next. They used to call him 3rd and long Charlie Strong cause he had no defense for it.
Did you see what happened to Charlie Strong last Thursday?!? Please look at some of the tape.
USF 0 - Wisc 49
Not Charlie Strong. Not ever. I didn't like it when he was here. Shawn Elliott beat UT, but what's he done other than that? If he wins 9 or 10 this year then maybe take a look but not right now ... not based on one upset.
Let me clarify, I mean SC let them get away when they were on the rise. Kind of like Leach. I think he would have been a great fit after leaving Tex Tech, but now...not so much. Strong was building a machine at UL, but got in over his head at Texas and pretty much destroyed his career. I don't understand why everyone hated Elliott other than his antics were similar to Dabo and because he lost to The Citadel. But that was with a team in turmoil and one Spurrier knew was so bad he couldn't stick it out. Elliott had the motivation and fire to change the culture. Georgia State is a program in its infancy that averages 3 wins a year...recruiting there is probably a tough sell. But while the win over UT might not change the future, it was monumental for that program and Elliotts career.

Heupel looks a little too much like Brad Scott for my liking.

I still think you start at the very top and give Meyer a call. Only if we want to be a top 10 program within 2 years though

I guess I'd be curious what record gets Champ canned this year? All things aside, year 4 is when you should show some progress. Something. If year 4 is his worst record to date, then what? At what point does it become a situation of throwing good money after bad? It's precarious. If he's given the benefit of the doubt and allowed another season, it could set us back to square 1 and put us 3-4 seasons behind again.

I don't have the answer to this.

Heupel looks a little too much like Brad Scott for my liking.

I still think you start at the very top and give Meyer a call. Only if we want to be a top 10 program within 2 years though
He's the only one that could bring a FBNC to USC within 3 or 4 yrs. Will the admin make a bold move and fire whatisname and hire him? NO!
@jedi_mike I was thinking Kingsbury had just been signed on as So Cal's OC.

Our coach is a slob.

Built like Humpty Dumpty.
Bronco Mendenhall. Just because I like the name.

And they beat Pitt in their opener yesterday 30-14. In Pittsburgh.

And another thing. He doesn't just talk about toughness. He lives it. Look at the man. Our coach is a slob next to him. A man's appearance can tell you a lot about his character and work habits.

Bill Belichick, possibly the greatest coach in football history and noted slob, says hi. I'm off the Muschamp bandwagon, but I sure hope we don't hire our new coach based on appearances. Cough, Mike Leach, cough cough.

Bronco Mendenhall. Just because I like the name.

And they beat Pitt in their opener yesterday 30-14. In Pittsburgh.

And another thing. He doesn't just talk about toughness. He lives it. Look at the man. Our coach is a slob next to him. A man's appearance can tell you a lot about his character and work habits.

Like this guy?

0df1faa843f5378f058a68a4ff6801c1

@Chucktown Cock "Our coach is a slob."

That speaks to his self discipline. He apparently has none and players pick up on that. He's not setting a good example and neither is his S&C coach for that matter.
One way to make him coach better is to put a HUGE buffet on the sideline but he can't visit it unless he wins.

He's the only one that could bring a FBNC to USC within 3 or 4 yrs. Will the admin make a bold move and fire whatisname and hire him? NO!
@jedi_mike I was thinking Kingsbury had just been signed on as So Cal's OC.

Kingsbury lasted 1 month at Southern Cal. Fired at Tech in late Nov. 2018; hired at SoCal in early December 2018; took the Cardinals job in early January 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT