ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati is pursuing Frank.

Id prefer not losing to Stoney Brook at home and Wyoming, 3 years removed from a final 4 ... win those games and SC would've gotten into the tourney this year... but if you're satisfied with a high paying coach who caught "lightening in a bottle" one month 3 years ago.. so be it for you

Can you please explain to me how we “caught lightning in a bottle”. We had three terrific seniors, a 5 star sophomore and a sophomore Chris Silva. We absolutely dominated Marquette and Baylor...Frank badly out-coached Coach K and we won a classic SEC battle in the elite 8. If Sindarius Thornwell doesn’t get a stomach flu..we beat Gonzaga. We went on a 16-0 run to take a two pt lead with Six minutes left. If it werent for that Zack Collins 3 that defied physics...we’re playing in the freaking national championship. Can you also explain to me how Frank has managed to “catch lightning in a bottle” at two different schools?

Last edited:
He could keep our current team together and we are in good shape to have a big season next year.
BBBBIIIIIGGGG season - yeah. If that latter statement were true in his mind, he wouldn't be considering a move at his time. He can't vindicate himself by leaving unless he wins really big someplace else. He could vindicate himself here next season by Dancing. Maybe he doesn't think he can do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263
I like Frank. But I agree with a couple of other posters that his leaving could be the best thing for everyone. We would finally shed the label of being a coaching graveyard. AND we would avoid a potentially ugly firing if next season didn't end with a tournament bid. There would be no national pundits lambasting us for it while reminding us of our historical insignificance and insisting that we shouldn't ever have the gall to expect more (an opinion sadly shared by many of our own fans). In a weird way, everyone could potentially walk away winners.

I do admit though that I'm more than a little worried about another Ray Tanner coaching search.

If he stays all it will do is like barnes he will get more money and keep being left out of NIT...we can get a good coach it is just what are you willing to pay.

Id prefer not losing to Stoney Brook at home and Wyoming, 3 years removed from a final 4 ... win those games and SC would've gotten into the tourney this year... but if you're satisfied with a high paying coach who caught "lightening in a bottle" one month 3 years ago.. so be it for you

I wish Muschamp and Kingston would catch lightning in a bottle.....even if it’s just once

Just saw the $15 million dollar buyout. For this to become reality:

Cincinnati helps build us a new end zone in the football stadium or Tanner feels so uneasy about Frank that he leaves money on the table and lets him negotiate a cheaper buyout.

The buyout makes it Ray Tanners call if Frank Martin will coach anywhere but THE USC.....and while we are at it someone in our inept athletic department needs to understand it’s THE USC and not that rebranding crap they came up with.

My guess is Martin stays after all is said and done

I don't know if Frank is offered, but as I said before that it would be a good move for all, I would expect Frank to jump in a minute if given the chance. He sees an arena that is half empty at best on most nights, and he has to know that without an NCAA bid next year that the wolves are really going to be howling after Ray to make a change. He goes to Cincy and gets a fresh start. USC gets one also. I read a post above where someone is bemoaning the fact that USC would have to start over. Be back at square one. The hard truth is that if you can somehow finish 4th in your league and not even sniff an NCAA bid, you are already at square one. A new start for all parties might be a good thing.

Honestly hope Frank stays. Bosox you are factually incorrect. We went to the final 4 2 years ago, not 3. Losses of Thornwell, Dozier, and several seniors cannot be discounted. We will never be a blue blood in basketball a la the memories many old time fans conjure up with the ghost of FM1.

Recruiting for basketball starts in middle school and early high school. The fruits of the final 4 run are paying dividends but you will not see it over night.

Gotta take into consideration the attrition of talent and host of injuries this year. Frank is a winner. We probably will not get the 5 star one and done as they probably will not mesh with his system.

Down the stretch SEC play and on we looked like an NCAA tourney team. If we had not played Michigan or UVA and not scheduled that stupid game in Wyoming it's possible we are sitting 19-13. Quite frankly had Silva and Gravett played up to standard in November and December, we are probably not having this conversation.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Frank and have it bite us in the rear. We have a hard nosed well respected coach right now that cares for his players, knows the game.

When is it going to stop that we allow a coach to retool after losing a veteran laden team that took you to top heights. Fogler gone 3 years after back to back NCAA runs, Odom 2 years after back to back NIT titles?

We play in a very tough conference that is overshadowed by football. You want to run away a coach that owns 3 of your programs 6 conference winning records including this year.

Some of you on this board need to check where we are in relationship to program history. You will find we are in not that bad of shape.

I've been a Frank Martin critic, but he has the makings of a good team next year. I'd rather see him get the chance to coach them. Also, I do not trust Ray Tanner to find the right replacement. He will hire another washed up Dave Odom type or he will hire someone on the cheap.

Having said all that, if money is part of the equation he won't leave. Cronin was making 2.2 million. Frank makes 2.9 million. I don't see Cincy matching that and also paying Frank's buyout. I'd give it a less than 40% chance he leaves SC for Cincy.

Being the basketball coach at South Carolina is like being the football coach at North Carolina. No matter who the coach is at either school, another sport will always mean more to fans and alumni.

I don't know if Frank is offered, but as I said before that it would be a good move for all, I would expect Frank to jump in a minute if given the chance. He sees an arena that is half empty at best on most nights, and he has to know that without an NCAA bid next year that the wolves are really going to be howling after Ray to make a change. He goes to Cincy and gets a fresh start. USC gets one also. I read a post above where someone is bemoaning the fact that USC would have to start over. Be back at square one. The hard truth is that if you can somehow finish 4th in your league and not even sniff an NCAA bid, you are already at square one. A new start for all parties might be a good thing.
No. Square one is losing Lawson and Bryant to transfer. A couple of the guys on board for signing in the next class bailing and us being stuck trying to recruit enough guys to field a team next year. Frank finally hs the recruiting going in the right direction again. Not a lot of turnover and suddenly the basketball gurus who weren't even watching this team before the FF run are coming out of the wood work and demanding a change. Who we going to get? Who wants to come to a place that has no history, low BB IQ fans and no support.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Can you please explain to me how we “caught lightning in a bottle”. We had three terrific seniors, a 5 star sophomore and a sophomore Chris Silva. We absolutely dominated Marquette and Baylor...Frank badly out-coached Coach K and we won a classic SEC battle in the elite 8. If Sindarius Thornwell doesn’t get a stomach flu..we beat Gonzaga. We went on a 16-0 run to take a two pt lead with Six minutes left. If it werent for that Zack Collins 3 that defied physics...we’re playing in the freaking national championship. Can you also explain to me how Frank has managed to “catch lightning in a bottle” at two different schools?

I am not going to say lightning in a bottle, however we finished the season losing 5 of 7 before the NCAAs, we defiantly got on a hot streak.

IMO this is a good job for Martin. It's a basketball school with a good history and a decent conference, plus he has coached there before.

His act has run its course here. The fan base is very divided, and he has not really done a lot to help mend the sediment. The SEC is only getting better, he has not capitalized on the Final Four run and we have been passed by. Its time for all involved for a fresh start.

For $3M a year we can and should attract a very good coach. Reach out to Hurley, Wojo, Randy Bennett, Dana Altman, or a Kevin Keatts, make them say no.

Some small school names:
Steve Forbes
Wes Miller
Earl Grant
Bob Richey
Chris Jans
Pat Kelsey
Johnny Dawkins

Reactions: brianlafe
Being the basketball coach at South Carolina is like being the football coach at North Carolina. No matter who the coach is at either school, another sport will always mean more to fans and alumni.

I guess the only difference is one of those counterpart programs has as many national championships as the other one has bowl wins....

That was somewhat true even when we were in the ACC. Dietzel pushed football higher which is part of why he and Frank fell out. But basketball was the sport in the ACC and McGuire proved we could play at the top of that conference.

The "other sport being preeminent" as absolutely true in the SEC. But consistently good basketball can hold its own here. I think that has already been proven. But mediocrity in anything won't sell now in any sport the way it used to. HDTV is too good and lounge chairs are too comfortable.

Just saw the $15 million dollar buyout. For this to become reality:

Cincinnati helps build us a new end zone in the football stadium or Tanner feels so uneasy about Frank that he leaves money on the table and lets him negotiate a cheaper buyout.

The buyout makes it Ray Tanners call if Frank Martin will coach anywhere but THE USC.....and while we are at it someone in our inept athletic department needs to understand it’s THE USC and not that rebranding crap they came up with.

My guess is Martin stays after all is said and done
Was wondering about the buyout.... basically FM and USC are locked in golden handcuffs. Maybe UC has that kind of money and is willing to deal.... We’ll see....

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Reactions: king ward
No. Square one is losing Lawson and Bryant to transfer. A couple of the guys on board for signing in the next class bailing and us being stuck trying to recruit enough guys to field a team next year. Frank finally hs the recruiting going in the right direction again. Not a lot of turnover and suddenly the basketball gurus who weren't even watching this team before the FF run are coming out of the wood work and demanding a change. Who we going to get? Who wants to come to a place that has no history, low BB IQ fans and no support.

Beat me to it.

Our fanbase overall has the lowest sports IQ, not just basketball, of any in the country; at least on keyboard anyway. Pretty much a fruitless endeavor to try to participate on forums.

Fire the current coach and hire a new one; its the coach. Got to be. That'll get us where we want to be.

Spurrier didn't say it is what it is because it sounded cool.

But please, proceed. Round and round she goes.

For Frank to leave he only has to pay $1M. The big buyout number is if USC wants to fire him. No issues here.

According to the article FM would "also" owe USC a million, that was not his buyout
"In addition, Martin would owe South Carolina $1 million if he leaves, according to multiple reports."

Beat me to it.

Our fanbase overall has the lowest sports IQ, not just basketball, of any in the country; at least on keyboard anyway. Pretty much a fruitless endeavor to try to participate on forums.

Fire the current coach and hire a new one; its the coach. Got to be. That'll get us where we want to be.

Agree, a bunch of idiot fans. We need to expect less from our millionaire coaches and AD. Keep handing out extensions and raises and stop expecting so much in return.

If Frank leaves I'm sure we'll hire a young up and comer who has absolutely no business coaching in a top tier conference. I would hate going back to the Horne days.

Beat me to it.

Where are all these fired coaches you're talking about? Holbrook got fired, yes. But he took over the best program in the country and ran it into the ground. Otherwise, I see Frank Martin making 3 million a year and heading into year eight. We haven't fired a football coach in two decades.

Reactions: ddw1263
If Frank leaves I'm sure we'll hire a young up and comer who has absolutely no business coaching in a top tier conference. I would hate going back to the Horne days.
Most breakthroughs start with a gamble, especially when you are operating from a position of weakness. Most of my rhymes are built around Frank coaching next year. I think we are better off if he does. If he doesn't, the world won't necessarily stop turning.

Was wondering about the buyout.... basically FM and USC are locked in golden handcuffs. Maybe UC has that kind of money and is willing to deal.... We’ll see....

Cincinnati was paying Cronin $2.2 million a year. No way they get anywhere close on the buyout

We shouldn't rush into the situation with a raise and contract extension. If Coach Martin wants to go, he should go. Holding onto coaches that are eyeing the exit doesn't work.

Agreed. He is fairly compensated at USC and has a lot of security (with his big buyout if USC fires him). If he's not satisfied with it, then fine. It's not as if the program is in tremendous shape (working on its fourth straight recruiting class at the bottom of the SEC).

He's a good coach, but if he wants something else, then no hard feelings.

Reactions: PC31 and king ward
Agreed. He is fairly compensated at USC and has a lot of security (with his big buyout if USC fires him). If he's not satisfied with it, then fine. It's not as if the program is in tremendous shape (working on its fourth straight recruiting class at the bottom of the SEC).

He's a good coach, but if he wants something else, then no hard feelings.
If that's where we are, then that is the absolutely correct position.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT