ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati is pursuing Frank.

So would you prefer a higher overall record filled with meaningless out of conference wins if it meant back to back NIT appearances but no final four the year before-or would you prefer the final four run...followed by an 11-7 SEC conference record just two seasons after losing PJ Dozier, Felton, Thornwell, Mckie and Notice?

What BS. you realize guys graduate. There don't play forever in college. So you should have someone able to play behind the graduate. Everyone knew PJ would go early if possible. Duke KY and UNC lose 3-4 one and dones each year + some seniors yet they manage to win constantly. I know they are better programs than us. I don;t expect us to win 30 games a year.

However, I do expect us to beat division II schools, big south schools, southern conference schools nearly every time we play them. If we had won those meaningless big south games we would have been in postseason play. instead we lose to Augusta. Thankfully Augusta has better built in advantages than we do so it is unrealistic for us to beat them after losing 6 ppg Felder.

Reactions: ddw1263
FM gets 2.95 million not to go to the tourney while average over 12K fans per game (approx 70% of capacity)
Mick Cronin got paid 2.2 million to go to the tourney every year and paid in front of 8K fans (approx 67% of capacity)

Man...some of ya'll are crazy. Martin leaving would set this already average program back 2 to 3 years. And that's if they could hire a good coach. Most these guys on the roster want to play for Frank (including the guys coming in). I'm guessing 4 to 5 players would transfer. So unless this program can hire a top tier coach, which I find that highly unlikely, be prepared to watch some shitty basketball over the next 3 years. At least Martin has built some history...he can at least tell recruits that they can make it to the final 4 under him.

This might be the most foolish quote I've ever read. Most kids these days are cultivating an identity and reputation on social media when they are 11 and 12 years old, that they will actively manage for the rest of their lives. They are far more aware of how they are perceived and how they perceive others through the shared social media experience. They have greater access to information and engage with the broadest community possible for the collective sharing of ideas. More than ever, this generation of kids doesn't have a shared experience with the generations that came before them.

Man...some of ya'll are crazy. Martin leaving would set this already average program back 2 to 3 years. And that's if they could hire a good coach. Most these guys on the roster want to play for Frank (including the guys coming in). I'm guessing 4 to 5 players would transfer. So unless this program can hire a top tier coach, which I find that highly unlikely, be prepared to watch some shitty basketball over the next 3 years. At least Martin has built some history...he can at least tell recruits that they can make it to the final 4 under him.

Are you suggesting we'll miss the NCAA, not win SEC championships and wind up a failed NIT bubble team? I agree that would be totally unacceptable.

There are some things I really like about Frank. Sure he has some problems, but nothing a couple of 4* recruits and anger management efforts will not cure.

Often you see teams with elite, talented players under performing. I don't think we would see that with a Frank Martin team.

Please, coach FM, upgrade your recruiting. You can do it! Do what it takes!

Are you suggesting we'll miss the NCAA, not win SEC championships and wind up a failed NIT bubble team? I agree that would be totally unacceptable.
No...but we could turn into a Vandy and go winless. At the very least we are competitive and if the injury bug didn't hit I'm pretty sure we make the NCAA tourney this year. Not to mentioned getting hosed in 2016 by the NCAA.

There are some things I really like about Frank. Sure he has some problems, but nothing a couple of 4* recruits and anger management efforts will not cure.

Often you see teams with elite, talented players under performing. I don't think we would see that with a Frank Martin team.

Agree 100% on all points! Great post.

I agree that he always gets the most out of his players - he's a great coach that way. Unfortunately, our recent players tend to have lower ceilings than other teams in our league. The last time he recruited at an elite level was when Lamont Evans was at USC. The same Lamont Evans that recently plead guilty to bribing players to go with certain agents.

I agree that he always gets the most out of his players - he's a great coach that way. Unfortunately, our recent players tend to have lower ceilings than other teams in our league. The last time he recruited at an elite level was when Lamont Evans was at USC. The same Lamont Evans that recently plead guilty to bribing players to go with certain agents.
Also had Brad Underwood who is supposed to be a great recruiter.

I think Chuck Martin has been pretty good so far when it comes to recruiting. He got us Minaya , Lawson and I believe Bryant too. I think this past freshmen class and Minaya has a lot of potential. The jury will be out from the upcoming class but I like what I see from Hannibal and the others on tape.

Most breakthroughs start with a gamble, especially when you are operating from a position of weakness. Most of my rhymes are built around Frank coaching next year. I think we are better off if he does. If he doesn't, the world won't necessarily stop turning.
We have gambled quite a few times and we always seem to crap out. I'd rather grab a known commodity, someone who has paid their dues and worked their way up the ladder. Gambling can pay off big but you are more likely to lose the house and the kids college money.

We have gambled quite a few times and we always seem to crap out. I'd rather grab a known commodity, someone who has paid their dues and worked their way up the ladder. Gambling can pay off big but you are more likely to lose the house and the kids college money.
It's always a gamble. Cremins was the ultimate example of that.

It's always a gamble. Cremins was the ultimate example of that.
for us or for Ga Tech? He was a known commodity when we went after him. In hindsight we should have tried to get him sooner but if we were allowed to use hindsight we could go back and hire any up and coming coach we wanted.

for us or for Ga Tech? He was a known commodity when we went after him. In hindsight we should have tried to get him sooner but if we were allowed to use hindsight we could go back and hire any up and coming coach we wanted.
For both, as it turned out. You only THINK you know what you are getting.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cbreezy33
For those hoping Frank takes the job...this would be way worse than a coaching change immediately after the SEC Tourney. We would be so far behind in the process, with many of the available coaches gone.

You may not like Frank, but the timing of this would be really bad, for an already difficult job to lure a proven coach to. We’ll end up with someone un-proven or someone washed up.
Or someone young and hungry?

FM gets 2.95 million not to go to the tourney while average over 12K fans per game (approx 70% of capacity)
Mick Cronin got paid 2.2 million to go to the tourney every year and paid in front of 8K fans (approx 67% of capacity)
What does have to do with the price of tea in China? If Frank's salary was dropped to $1.9 million a year would that make a difference? Frank's making that because we nearly played for a NC two years ago.

Honestly hope Frank stays. Bosox you are factually incorrect. We went to the final 4 2 years ago, not 3. Losses of Thornwell, Dozier, and several seniors cannot be discounted. We will never be a blue blood in basketball a la the memories many old time fans conjure up with the ghost of FM1.

Recruiting for basketball starts in middle school and early high school. The fruits of the final 4 run are paying dividends but you will not see it over night.

Gotta take into consideration the attrition of talent and host of injuries this year. Frank is a winner. We probably will not get the 5 star one and done as they probably will not mesh with his system.

Down the stretch SEC play and on we looked like an NCAA tourney team. If we had not played Michigan or UVA and not scheduled that stupid game in Wyoming it's possible we are sitting 19-13. Quite frankly had Silva and Gravett played up to standard in November and December, we are probably not having this conversation.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Frank and have it bite us in the rear. We have a hard nosed well respected coach right now that cares for his players, knows the game.

When is it going to stop that we allow a coach to retool after losing a veteran laden team that took you to top heights. Fogler gone 3 years after back to back NCAA runs, Odom 2 years after back to back NIT titles?

We play in a very tough conference that is overshadowed by football. You want to run away a coach that owns 3 of your programs 6 conference winning records including this year.

Some of you on this board need to check where we are in relationship to program history. You will find we are in not that bad of shape.

I cannot like this post enough......Preach!!!

Confused why they didn't know this. His contract and buyout have been public since they were inked.
UCLA tried offering Calipari a pay cut to be their coach. They tried other incentives. Maybe Cincy took a page out of their book, and was banking on Frank's and the fan's discontent -- real or perceived.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
What does have to do with the price of tea in China? If Frank's salary was dropped to $1.9 million a year would that make a difference? Frank's making that because we nearly played for a NC two years ago.

He has more money, plays in better conference, has better fan support and financial commitment. That matters to sane people. The average income in the sate is something like 50K are you saying it wouldn't matter to you to take a job that paid 32 instead of 50K? If so you are a liar.

Honestly hope Frank stays. Bosox you are factually incorrect. We went to the final 4 2 years ago, not 3. Losses of Thornwell, Dozier, and several seniors cannot be discounted. We will never be a blue blood in basketball a la the memories many old time fans conjure up with the ghost of FM1.

Recruiting for basketball starts in middle school and early high school. The fruits of the final 4 run are paying dividends but you will not see it over night.

Gotta take into consideration the attrition of talent and host of injuries this year. Frank is a winner. We probably will not get the 5 star one and done as they probably will not mesh with his system.

Down the stretch SEC play and on we looked like an NCAA tourney team. If we had not played Michigan or UVA and not scheduled that stupid game in Wyoming it's possible we are sitting 19-13. Quite frankly had Silva and Gravett played up to standard in November and December, we are probably not having this conversation.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Frank and have it bite us in the rear. We have a hard nosed well respected coach right now that cares for his players, knows the game.

When is it going to stop that we allow a coach to retool after losing a veteran laden team that took you to top heights. Fogler gone 3 years after back to back NCAA runs, Odom 2 years after back to back NIT titles?

We play in a very tough conference that is overshadowed by football. You want to run away a coach that owns 3 of your programs 6 conference winning records including this year.

Some of you on this board need to check where we are in relationship to program history. You will find we are in not that bad of shape.

Nope, I'm correct.. 1) Martin went to the Final 4 in the 2016-2017 season..
2) His team missed the tourney in 2017-2018
3).His team missed the tourney in 2018-2019

Years overlap in basketball..2016- 2017 season is 3 seasons ago

He has more money, plays in better conference, has better fan support and financial commitment. That matters to sane people. The average income in the sate is something like 50K are you saying it wouldn't matter to you to take a job that paid 32 instead of 50K? If so you are a liar.
We're talking about basketball coaching not the adv income in SC I'm not sure I'm following you
Nope, I'm correct.. 1) Martin went to the Final 4 in the 2016-2017 season..
2) His team missed the tourney in 2017-2018
3).His team missed the tourney in 2018-2019

Years overlap in basketball..2016- 2017 season is 3 seasons ago
Oh that make a huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT