ADVERTISEMENT

College and professional teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

curver16

Jul 26, 2009
That will be challenged to change their name or mascot...
I will start with the :

Atlanta “Braves“
Cleveland “Indians”

The Yankees should change their name . It makes me very uncomfortable and may damage my spirit animal . The Raiders , Pirates and Bucs must change because their mascot represents a culture of violence , womanizing and alcohol . The falcons , Ravens ,Eagles Seahawks and Cardinals need to change because other birds are not recognized . Very offensive . Lol when does it end .

Any team that has the name Wolf pack. I think that term is also used for a group of German Submarines.

That will be challenged to change their name or mascot...
I will start with the :

Atlanta “Braves“
Cleveland “Indians”
The Redskins and Indians should not change their names. However, if the Braves change their names then I'm completely out on pro sports. I'm already done with the NFL, long ago with the NBA, never cared about NASCAR or golf anyway, and now MLB/Braves are all I have left.

Any talks regarding changing any Native American themed nicknames need to have significant input from Native Americans. Just as FSU did with the Seminole Nation.

Being 1/16 Huron I probably have more Native American blood in me than many of those leading the push for the name changes. Do any offend me? No. But I can see where it might others. If the majority of NA people wish for the change, so be it. But if they do not, it needs to be left alone.

#HTTR

Any talks regarding changing any Native American themed nicknames need to have significant input from Native Americans. Just as FSU did with the Seminole Nation.

Being 1/16 Huron I probably have more Native American blood in me than many of those leading the push for the name changes. Do any offend me? No. But I can see where it might others. If the majority of NA people wish for the change, so be it. But if they do not, it needs to be left alone.

#HTTR

I see your point. But here is a caveat, while today the Native Americans may be okay with the names, Braves, Redskins, etc. they may not be comfortable with the names 20 years from now. With our Political Correctness changing by the hour who knows what will and won't be acceptable 20 years from now.

Washington to change their mascot name per ESPN. I think the Generals would be a good mascot for Washington using the NY/ New Jersey USFL logo.

108155c_lg.jpeg

Another mascot name i would use is the Federalist.

#HTTR
Magua gave the Huron a bad name... good thing he was a fictional, though awesomely villainous, character:)
d54ni35-6e2120b8-0f39-4d19-a712-cab7b10a41d9.jpg

Washington to change their mascot name per ESPN. I think the Generals would be a good mascot for Washington using the NY/ New Jersey USFL logo.

108155c_lg.jpeg

Another mascot name i would use is the Federalist.
Weren't the Washington Generals the exhibition basketball team that use to job to the Harlem Globetrotters? If so, that's a joke waiting to happen. They should definitely go in another direction.

Had a discussion with the birds in my backyard today while we were all standing around the birdbath. The Cardinals were mad about Stanford using their name without the s (I just left it there), but they love the St Louis and Louisville connections. The Blue Jay's were just ticked off about any use of their name. I found a note from the Eagles (you never see them) saying the could care less since they have an entire country worshipping them. I can't get the Hawks to take time out of the sky, nor the Falcons, but I hear both let it be known Atlanta should win a little more. And of course, it's all over Animal Planet the Penguins are tired of all the attention from everywhere and just wish Pittsburgh would go with the pyrogies. Since I've had a pyrogie once 8 years ago and it was, well, bland, I don't think so. So far, no comment from the potato pyrogies.

I was going to drive out to a friend's place and crow with the Gamecocks, but they are so conflicted, combative and overly cocky, and never happy with anybody running the coop. I chose to stay home and mess around on this sportsboard.

Last edited:
I see your point. But here is a caveat, while today the Native Americans may be okay with the names, Braves, Redskins, etc. they may not be comfortable with the names 20 years from now. With our Political Correctness changing by the hour who knows what will and won't be acceptable 20 years from now.
Native Americans are overwhelmingly not OK with some of the names. So if you have issue with that, take it up with them.

Native Americans demanding change include tribal nations, national tribal organizations, civil rights organizations, and individuals.[4] The largest of these organizations, the National Congress of American Indians, counted the enrollment of its member tribes as totaling 1.2 million individuals in 2013. The Washington, D.C., team is only one example of the larger Native American mascot controversy, but it receives more public attention because modern dictionaries define the name as derogatory or insulting and because the team has its home in the nation's capital.

Any mascot that could be considered red meat. Soon to be followed by white meat

I previously posted, but my thread was the only one on this topic that was deleted.

If you've ever watched the show "Community" then know all this name-change stuff is eerily similar to what happened in that show.

The school president felt compelled to change their mascot, the grizzly bear, as it was not inclusive enough.

After working to come up with a mascot that could not possibly offend anyone, they arrived at the Greendale Human Being.

The show's main character quips that not being racist is the new racism.

Life imitates art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT