ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo vs. Muschamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I hope you see the irony in your last statement. It's ridiculous to take a coach's record over 8 years, when his best years have come at the end, and then hold it against a coach who has just had 4. They both started off eerily similar, off by a couple of games. If Muschamp is here for 7 years and you want to compare him to Dabo's first 7, that would be fine. To take Dabo's longer backended padded total record with several more years to make your argument then you're grasping at some major straws.

I'll play along...... Muschamp went 5-4 in his 4th season as the head coach of Florida. Dabo Swinney went 11-2 in his 4th season has a head coach at Clemson, losing to a 12-2 FSU team and a 11-2 South Carolina team.

Doesn't sound eerily similar to me, bur you're entitled to your opinion.

I'll play along...... Muschamp went 5-4 in his 4th season as the head coach of Florida. Dabo Swinney went 11-2 in his 4th season has a head coach at Clemson, losing to a 12-2 FSU team and a 11-2 South Carolina team.

Doesn't sound eerily similar to me, bur you're entitled to your opinion.

The whole point to begin with was a comparison of the 4 years. Dabo had a two game overall advantage through the first 49 games, but also had a 1-4 bowl record to Muschamps 2-1. Goes back to your own point on how you can't pick things to make it say what you want. If you want to solely compare year 4 to 4 that's one thing, but the whole body of work through 49 games is what we're comparing, which I don't know how you can say the totals aren't similar.

Reactions: BigTomE
The whole point to begin with was a comparison of the 4 years. Dabo had a two game overall advantage through the first 49 games, but also had a 1-4 bowl record to Muschamps 2-1. Goes back to your own point on how you can't pick things to make it say what you want. If you want to solely compare year 4 to 4 that's one thing, but the whole body of work through 49 games is what we're comparing, which I don't know how you can say the totals aren't similar.

The point I'm trying to get across is that it's all about your TRAJECTORY. What was the trajectory for Muschamp in year 4? not good. What was the trajectory for Dabo in year 4? Pretty good if he could just find a way to beat South Carolina. How's Dabo's looking like right now? I can make Frank Beamer or Steve Spurrier look like the hottest available coaches out there if we completely disregard the trajectory of their programs.

This is a WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY BUSINESS. Don't believe me? Ask Les Miles or Mark Richt.

The point I'm trying to get across is that it's all about your TRAJECTORY. What was the trajectory for Muschamp in year 4? not good. What was the trajectory for Dabo in year 4? Pretty good if he could just find a way to beat South Carolina. How's Dabo's looking like right now? I can make Frank Beamer or Steve Spurrier look like the hottest available coaches out there if we completely disregard the trajectory of their programs.

This is a WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY BUSINESS. Don't believe me? Ask Les Miles or Mark Richt.
Trajectory is completely different and basically nothing more than speculation. The numbers through the first four years are facts. You can speculate that Muschamp would have done poorly this year at Florida, but considering how dominating his defensive players did this year and how poorly they did offensively with a new offensive coach, I would guess he would have had a decent record this year. You could also speculate that after three 11-2 seasons that Spurrier's last two seasons would not have gone downhill as quick as they did. So you can traject and speculate all you want, but the only thing we know for certain when comparing their four years is the overall numbers. Which are very similar.

Reactions: BigTomE
Trajectory is completely different and basically nothing more than speculation. The numbers through the first four years are facts. You can speculate that Muschamp would have done poorly this year at Florida, but considering how dominating his defensive players did this year and how poorly they did offensively with a new offensive coach, I would guess he would have had a decent record this year. You could also speculate that after three 11-2 seasons that Spurrier's last two seasons would not have gone downhill as quick as they did. So you can traject and speculate all you want, but the only thing we know for certain when comparing their four years is the overall numbers. Which are very similar.

Trajectory gets you fired or gets you pay raises. Speculation gets you hired and gets you fired. That's the job of an athletic director, to speculate. After Dabo went 6-7, Terry Don speculated Dabo could turn it around. After going 5-4 through 9 games, Jeremy Foley speculated he could do better with someone else. McElwain went 10-3. We'll never really know, but I can speculate Muschamp would not have gone 10-3 this year given that his team and his fan base gave up on him in 2014. We don't have to speculate on Dabo from year 4 to year 7..... we know.

Kiss, we ain't talkin about the last five years. Its the next five years. Since you're on the last five year kick, why don't you compare Dabo's recruiting vs Muschamp the last five years.Bet Boom wins.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
All right. The Clemson trolls on this board are propping up Dabo like he was some kind of legendary coach. Dabo beat us at the lowest point of the Spurrier era with some difficulity I might add and won the not so mighty ACC CHAMPIONSHIP. Every other team in the playoffs would have been undefeated if they played the Tater schedule. Lets see if Mr. Swinney can take Mr. Stoops team this year. Would love to see a Dabo Swinney team have to go 4 quarters against Alabama but that ain't gonna happen. Swinney got in the playoffs by default and it will show 12/31 much like Oregon showed up FSU last year. The ACC just isn't a power five conference and I'm so glad Clemson is our competition in South Carolina.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Yes Dumbo and Clemson are in the Hunt.. If they were in the SEC they would have probably had at least at least one loss in the SEC Championship game and would not be in the mix... Bottom line they are not a Champion Caliber team which will be brought to light soon enough..
Muschamp vs Dumbo remains to be seen.. I like Muschamp and SEC money to get us back were we need to be..

All right. The Clemson trolls on this board are propping up Dabo like he was some kind of legendary coach. Dabo beat us at the lowest point of the Spurrier era with some difficulity I might add and won the not so mighty ACC CHAMPIONSHIP. Every other team in the playoffs would have been undefeated if they played the Tater schedule. Lets see if Mr. Swinney can take Mr. Stoops team this year. Would love to see a Dabo Swinney team have to go 4 quarters against Alabama but that ain't gonna happen. Swinney got in the playoffs by default and it will show 12/31 much like Oregon showed up FSU last year. The ACC just isn't a power five conference and I'm so glad Clemson is our competition in South Carolina.
Why would you be glad Clemson is your competition in this state? Except for the 5 year run you had on Clemson, the tigers have always had a leg up on south Carolina in football. We can argue about the strength of the teams we play all day long, but its a fact that Clemson has had a much more successful football program than south Carolina.

And yet your trying to prove your point using betting odds? If you are trying to argue the sec East is better than the acc Atlantic, you just haven't been paying attention. And in case you try to look at records from 5 years back again for some crazy reason, I'm only talking about the last couple years. The acc atlantic has 2 top ten teams, more bowl game participants, has no losses against fcs teams.

kissthat1 said: "Have you checked the division you're in the last 5 years"....

So, I compared overall SEC East record of the past 5 seasons (245 - 184)
to the overall record of ACC Atlantic of the past 5 seasons (233 - 185)

I didn't just decide on my own to go back and look at 5 seasons of overall records.
The ACC Atlantic has 4 bowl participants and the SEC East has 3 Bowl participants, so you're saying that the Atlantic is stronger because of 1 more bowl participant? I'd be willing to bet the overall strength of schedule of teams in the SEC East was greater than the overall strength of schedule of teams in the ACC Atlantic, so it's not a big surprise that the ACC has 1 more bowl eligible team. Do you agree that the SEC West is the best conference in college football? I'll assume you do because it's hard to argue that it's not. Each SEC East team played 2 crossover games against the SEC West, so that basically automatically increased the strength of schedule, since all 7 SEC West teams are Bowl eligible. Interesting SEC Vs. ACC stats linked below.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/acc.shtml

kissthat1 said: "Have you checked the division you're in the last 5 years"....

So, I compared overall SEC East record of the past 5 seasons (245 - 184)
to the overall record of ACC Atlantic of the past 5 seasons (233 - 185)

I didn't just decide on my own to go back and look at 5 seasons of overall records.
The ACC Atlantic has 4 bowl participants and the SEC East has 3 Bowl participants, so you're saying that the Atlantic is stronger because of 1 more bowl participant? I'd be willing to bet the overall strength of schedule of teams in the SEC East was greater than the overall strength of schedule of teams in the ACC Atlantic, so it's not a big surprise that the ACC has 1 more bowl eligible team. Do you agree that the SEC West is the best conference in college football? I'll assume you do because it's hard to argue that it's not. Each SEC East team played 2 crossover games against the SEC West, so that basically automatically increased the strength of schedule, since all 7 SEC West teams are Bowl eligible. Interesting SEC Vs. ACC stats linked below.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/acc.shtml
I see you left out that I said the acc Atlantic has two top ten teams, didn't lose fcs teams. It says a lot when the second place Atlantic team is four touchdowns better than the run away sec East winner (who had to kick a last second field goal to beat vandy and went into overtime with fau). It's funny that this is even being disputed because anyone that's not biased knows how bad the sec East was this year.

Reactions: cornstock99
Holy god -- as a South Carolina student and a follower since the day I came out of the womb, this is head and shoulders the most garnet colored glasses statement I've ever read. How in the hell could you say you're glad Clemson is our competition in this state at this moment in time? (in football only of course) They are so far ahead of where we want to be as a program right now -- and I for one am all for speculating and talking about how we can improve and get back on track, but seriously dude get real. Other than our incredible 5 year run (what a time it has been to be a student during those years btw) they are leaps and bounds ahead of where we are (at this moment in time)

Holy god -- as a South Carolina student and a follower since the day I came out of the womb, this is head and shoulders the most garnet colored glasses statement I've ever read. How in the hell could you say you're glad Clemson is our competition in this state at this moment in time? (in football only of course) They are so far ahead of where we want to be as a program right now -- and I for one am all for speculating and talking about how we can improve and get back on track, but seriously dude get real. Other than our incredible 5 year run (what a time it has been to be a student during those years btw) they are leaps and bounds ahead of where we are (at this moment in time)

5pointalum16 and OP ~ Congrats on your new Membership to Gamecock Forum and this bait thread right out of the gate.. You've garnered quite the response. Enjoy the run ~ We certainly did. Connor Shaw turned out to be a great find for us ~ Watson has been that for you. The pendulum will swing again ~ It's inevitable. :)

Trajectory gets you fired or gets you pay raises. Speculation gets you hired and gets you fired. That's the job of an athletic director, to speculate. After Dabo went 6-7, Terry Don speculated Dabo could turn it around. After going 5-4 through 9 games, Jeremy Foley speculated he could do better with someone else. McElwain went 10-3. We'll never really know, but I can speculate Muschamp would not have gone 10-3 this year given that his team and his fan base gave up on him in 2014. We don't have to speculate on Dabo from year 4 to year 7..... we know.
And that right there is why your argument isn't logical. You are taking what you know about Dabos years 5-8 and holding it against your speculation on Muschamp. I personally think with the injuries last year and the recruits coming in that Muschamp would have had a great year this year. But we'll never know, which is why it's silly to compare hypotheticals to what we do know about Dabo. Both were told to get offensive coordinators in or else. Dabos panned out the first year with Morris, so he got to keep his job. Roper didn't pan out fully his first year (with tons of injuries) and Muschamp lost his job. It makes absolutely no sense to compare anything Dabos done after year 4 against Muschamp.

5pointalum16 and OP ~ Congrats on your new Membership to Gamecock Forum and this bait thread right out of the gate.. You've garnered quite the response. Enjoy the run ~ We certainly did. Connor Shaw turned out to be a great find for us ~ Watson has been that for you. The pendulum will swing again ~ It's inevitable. :)
Are you directing this at me with the assumption that I'm a Clemson fan? See my original thread if you'd like to know why my membership to this site is new. I'm just a realist, that's all. I love this school and I love our program, but seeing posts like that really get to me.

Lol and never, ever use 'Watson and you' in the same sentence referring to me. No he's just an outstanding football player who I have garnered a lot of respect for thru his play on the field. I created this thread because I love comparisons, and I believe Muschamp and Dabo have many similarities and I knew it would be a great discussion. Anyway -- have a good day my friend and Merry Christmas to you and your family -- GO COCKS!

I have seen him speak, but have not met him one on one. In all fairness, that type of personality...the aw shucks country bubba....the goofiness....it's just not for me, so no matter what, I am not going to fall for the man. We have a VP at my company who I swear is a dead ringer for Dabo and I don't much care for him either although many here do. It was the same thing with Lou Holtz. He was our coach, so I supported him, but I never liked the man. When folks would rave about Coach Lou and his motivational brilliance, I never got it. No matter what, for the purpose of this thread, Swinney (see, it feels weird to call him that...somehow he has packaged himself as Dabo, like Madonna or Cher, he has this one name thing going) has done remarkable things at Clemson and as far as I can tell, the future of the program looks bright.

A couple of thoughts in response.

I have been fortunate enough to meet Lou and Dabo on mukltiple occasions. They both come across as sincere motivated and decent people.

1] I have also heard Lou Holtz as the featured speaker Lou at three different senior executive seminars over the past 25 years. The man can take control of an audience, he can deliver a message as well as can be done, and his life story in incredible. I would advise anyone that gets an opportunity to hear him speak , take it!

2] There are many Carolina fans that are never going to be swayed that Dabo is a good man , a great people person , and a heck of a football coach. For all you that think he is some dimwit, you might be surprised at how well educated and and strong a leader the "redneck" brings to the table.

Both these men are leaving a good mark on this planet, and have had a positive affect on the lives of countless young men. Oh, and also on some much older folks as well.

Reactions: 5pointsalum16
Why would you be glad Clemson is your competition in this state? Except for the 5 year run you had on Clemson, the tigers have always had a leg up on south Carolina in football. We can argue about the strength of the teams we play all day long, but its a fact that Clemson has had a much more successful football program than south Carolina.
And why are you on a Gamecock message board? Dabo has Clemson in the playoff.......yabba yabba yabba......I don't care. This is a USC board so enough with the Clemson crap. If you want to talk about them feel free to join their board. No need for trolls here.

And why are you on a Gamecock message board? Dabo has Clemson in the playoff.......yabba yabba yabba......I don't care. This is a USC board so enough with the Clemson crap. If you want to talk about them feel free to join their board. No need for trolls here.

Did you happen to notice the topic of the thread ?

Lol and never, ever use 'Watson and you' in the same sentence referring to me. No he's just an outstanding football player who I have garnered a lot of respect for thru his play on the field. I created this thread because I love comparisons, and I believe Muschamp and Dabo have many similarities and I knew it would be a great discussion. Anyway -- have a good day my friend and Merry Christmas to you and your family -- GO COCKS!

Dude, you made 100 posts!!! Merry Christmas to you!

I acknowledge his enthusiasm and energy and understand how that translates into effective recruiting. As far as him being "real" and "genuine" I don't see it. Maybe it's the aw shucks, country bumpkin persona. Maybe it's the fact that a man nearly fifty years old calls himself Dabo. Or the dancing and goofy, childish antics. That just does not appeal to me. I want a guy making millions of dollars and representing my university to speak grammatically correct English and act like a grown up. I think it's all a well played act. Yes, what you see is basically his personality, but he plays it up for the cameras and is very shrewd. Dabo is like a businessman or politician. He has crafted a message and honed it over the years into a stump speech and now he repeats it every chance he gets. He is very media savvy. He knows how to get his message out, whether it is a scripted, rehearsed rant such as The Real Carolina or Bring Your Own Guts or a thirty second pre halftime interview as he walks off the field. The man is smart that way. Brilliant even. He will do whatever it takes to sell himself and his program and protects it with an almost cult like fervor. He has even used his faith to sell the program.

Every so often even Dabo slips up and you can get a peek behind the curtain at the true man. When he was pulled by the police officer for speeding, you certainly did not see an affable ol country boy yucking it up and Dabbing. Rather, the camera caught an angry, outraged, indignant, rude and churlish redneck. Same thing when reporters question him too much or challenge him, as with the DJ Reader incident this Fall. He snapped and went off point briefly. You can also see it with team discipline. Sure, he'll preach religion and ethics and the "specialness" of Clemson. He'll act like nothing bad ever happens at Clemson. Then you see him not discipline Joe Craig after he beats his girlfriend with a towel rod. In fact, he kept that and other incidents out of the media for as long as possible. It's all about branding, control, and messaging. He does it better than anyone.
At the end of the day the man has built a winning program and the recruiting is phenomenal. And he's not breaking any rules. Give him credit. But don't act like he is some "keep it real" guy. He is far, far from it.
Sounds like Bill Clinton.

A couple of thoughts in response.

I have been fortunate enough to meet Lou and Dabo on mukltiple occasions. They both come across as sincere motivated and decent people.

1] I have also heard Lou Holtz as the featured speaker Lou at three different senior executive seminars over the past 25 years. The man can take control of an audience, he can deliver a message as well as can be done, and his life story in incredible. I would advise anyone that gets an opportunity to hear him speak , take it!

2] There are many Carolina fans that are never going to be swayed that Dabo is a good man , a great people person , and a heck of a football coach. For all you that think he is some dimwit, you might be surprised at how well educated and and strong a leader the "redneck" brings to the table.

Both these men are leaving a good mark on this planet, and have had a positive affect on the lives of countless young men. Oh, and also on some much older folks as well.

Appreciate your thoughts. I am not swayed by Swinney and it's not because he's Clemson's coach. I'm a big fan of both Tony Elliot and Brent Venables.
There's an interview with Dabo in the P&C today. As usual, no tough questions. Sapakoff does ask him about ripping into Teasdall after the fake punt and his response sort of illustrates my point. He said he would have ripped into his own son for doing the same thing. Sounds great and makes a good talking point. Until you consider that Watson made an equally costly mistake by not spiking the ball. And Dabo didn't so much as make a peep. Simply gestured with his arms and smiled. It all seems disingenuous. An act. A brand. A sales job.

Appreciate your thoughts. I am not swayed by Swinney and it's not because he's Clemson's coach. I'm a big fan of both Tony Elliot and Brent Venables.
There's an interview with Dabo in the P&C today. As usual, no tough questions. Sapakoff does ask him about ripping into Teasdall after the fake punt and his response sort of illustrates my point. He said he would have ripped into his own son for doing the same thing. Sounds great and makes a good talking point. Until you consider that Watson made an equally costly mistake by not spiking the ball. And Dabo didn't so much as make a peep. Simply gestured with his arms and smiled. It all seems disingenuous. An act. A brand. A sales job.
I agree with most of your points -- and I actually saw that press conference as well. I think the difference between the punters mistake and Deshaun's was obvious -- Correct me if I'm wrong, (I very well could be) but I believe Deshaun scored on the next play and the punters mistake cost the team 7 points. I agree that Dabo can put on an act at times, but I don't think that is a good example. I think a better example of Dabo putting on an act and selling his program are the locker room dances. That's obviously not Dabo's real personality (he wouldn't be dancing all the time if he wasn't a football coach and he didn't know the players loved it) but he does it because his players love it and it appeals to a younger crowd.

The SEC East has been around the level of the ACC since the downfall of Florida and Tennessee. Sorry, I know there are lots of garnet tinted glasses in here, but the SEC East just aint as good as it was when Phil Fulmer and Steve were going at it back in the day. A bad Big 12 team just waltzed right in and started claiming SEC-E titles, come on guys!

The SEC East has been around the level of the ACC since the downfall of Florida and Tennessee. Sorry, I know there are lots of garnet tinted glasses in here, but the SEC East just aint as good as it was when Phil Fulmer and Steve were going at it back in the day. A bad Big 12 team just waltzed right in and started claiming SEC-E titles, come on guys!
You're about to get called a tater give it about 15-20 minutes...

Are you directing this at me with the assumption that I'm a Clemson fan? See my original thread if you'd like to know why my membership to this site is new. I'm just a realist, that's all. I love this school and I love our program, but seeing posts like that really get to me.

The more you post, the more apparent it is that I was right about you from your first post. All you do is take up for clemsux fans and like their posts. No true Carolina fan does that. "I'm a Carolina student" is getting old. You aren't fooling anyone. You're a full blown clemsux fan. Stop the pretending. You're embarrassing yourself.

The more you post, the more apparent it is that I was right about you from your first post. All you do is take up for clemsux fans and like their posts. No true Carolina fan does that. "I'm a Carolina student" is getting old. You aren't fooling anyone. You're a full blown clemsux fan. Stop the pretending. You're embarrassing yourself.
You're essentially saying its impossible to be rational and a Carolina fan. I could easily do what you do and talk s*** to any Clemson fan that comes onto this board, but what is the fun in that? If I'm embarrassing myself, then damn you got me.

Reactions: TigerJohnson
You're essentially saying its impossible to be rational and a Carolina fan. I could easily do what you do and talk s*** to any Clemson fan that comes onto this board, but what is the fun in that? If I'm embarrassing myself, then damn you got me.
Essentially, I'm saying you're a clemsux troll. No Carolina fan starts a dumbo vs muschamp thread, less than 3 weeks after he was hired. He hasn't even been through spring practice, much less coached a game. Heck, the staff isn't even complete yet. You're just trolling and getting your jollies at the responses. Go to your own board.

Last edited:
Essentially I'm saying you're a clemsux troll. No Carolina fan starts a dumbo vs muschamp thread, less than 3 weeks after he was hired. He hasn't even been through spring practice, much less coached a game. Heck, the staff isn't even complete yet. You're just trolling and getting your jollies at the responses. Go to your own board.
Read my original post -- I was talking about what I hoped Muschamp could achieve. And as many Carolina fans pointed out, both of them have a compelling argument, especially for the future. That was what this discussion was about. Not where the two are at this moment in time. For the love of all things good just enjoy the conversation, quit with your accusations and have a Merry Christmas.

Read my original post -- I was talking about what I hoped Muschamp could achieve. And as many Carolina fans pointed out, both of them have a compelling argument, especially for the future. That was what this discussion was about. Not where the two are at this moment in time. For the love of all things good just enjoy the conversation, quit with your accusations and have a Merry Christmas.
I've read your posts, you taking up for clemsux and liking the other clemsux fans's comments. Your orange is really showing. Sorry, there's a few of us who called you out and ruined your facade. Like another real Carolina fan suggested to you, go run down a hill. Happy New Year.

I've read your posts, you taking up for clemsux and liking the other clemsux fans's comments. Your orange is really showing. Sorry, there's a few of us who called you out and ruined your facade. Like another real Carolina fan suggested to you, go run down a hill. Happy New Year.
Whatever you say man. I don't know what kind of Clemson fan would take the time to defend himself on this board, and I can't really believe that I even am right now, but whatever it's probably just because I'm new here. Anyway -- hope you have a great Christmas with your family and Go Cocks!

Whatever you say man. I don't know what kind of Clemson fan would take the time to defend himself on this board, and I can't really believe that I even am right now, but whatever it's probably just because I'm new here. Anyway -- hope you have a great Christmas with your family and Go Cocks!
Cause ya'll are nuts!

Dabo will field his most talented team nxt year , rd trips to ND, FSU,and Aub, be tough to get back.

Actually Clemson doesn't play ND next year. As for auburn, Clemson should beat them Auburn is an average football team, however Auburns defense should be improved through addition by subtraction.... I do think FSU will be a toss up and could go either way.

Dabo is in the NC hunt. Muschamp was fired at UF and wasn't our 1st or 2nd pick. He has a lot to prove.

He's probably better as a career assistant, like Mickey Andrews or Jerry Sandusky. I thinks it's boom or bust with a three-year trial. There were and are still better candidates out there. And there will be in three years.

He's probably better as a career assistant, like Mickey Andrews or Jerry Sandusky. I thinks it's boom or bust with a three-year trial. There were and are still better candidates out there. And there will be in three years.
Just what we need. Another clemsux "new member" giving us their clemsux opinion, on a Carolina board.

Not always the case there Magellan. Two totally different situations. Just because it didnt work there doesnt mean it wont here. That is Tater logic.

Good recruits went to SC because Spurrier was coach. It's a tough sales job to get the best there now. Even with facility upgrades, it's still SC.

Good recruits go to Florida and Texas because they are Florida and Texas. The right coach can win at either place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT