ADVERTISEMENT

Darla Moore angry at USC

She seems like a piece of work. For Pete’s sake, your mom just died and what’s important to you is castigating some people who failed to express condolences? When that time comes for me, I assure you the last thing I’m gonna give a flip about is that kind of thing. She seems to be carrying a lot of anger. She needs to learn what’s important in life.

She seems like a piece of work. For Pete’s sake, your mom just died and what’s important to you is castigating some people who failed to express condolences? When that time comes for me, I assure you the last thing I’m gonna give a flip about is that kind of thing. She seems to be carrying a lot of anger. She needs to learn what’s important in life.
I am pretty sure this isn't about her mother.

I remember a guy, an alumni, on Cockytalk talking about his kids being recruited in one of the minor sports and Clemson and several other schools sending them stuff...one school didnt...any guesses?

I know a small high school in the upstate that gets a giant poster from that school up north signed by Dabo and wishing them good luck on the upcoming football season. Same school has never received anything from SC.

Our school really is incompetent at just the little everyday things that matter to a lot of folks. It costs Clemson maybe a few dollars to do that and it resonates. They get it.

Its just really sad to me to see us just screw up the simplest things. The sad thing is I actually expect these screwups as it seems to be normal.

You never ever alienate your biggest donor especially when you are as poor as we are. We are not Texas, Harvard or even Arkansas for crying out loud.

I get it. Darla is great at the self promotion into being something she’s not.

But you don’t have to pretend you had ever heard of her before she married Richard Rainwater and became a billionaire.
Bingo! ... and the fact that she used working for Strom Thurmond to access all the well-heeled New York moneybags. When you take her money she will always call the shots. Nikki Haley was right to do away with her.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I remember a guy, an alumni, on Cockytalk talking about his kids being recruited in one of the minor sports and Clemson and several other schools sending them stuff...one school didnt...any guesses?

I know a small high school in the upstate that gets a giant poster from that school up north signed by Dabo and wishing them good luck on the upcoming football season. Same school has never received anything from SC.

Our school really is incompetent at just the little everyday things that matter to a lot of folks. It costs Clemson maybe a few dollars to do that and it resonates. They get it.

Its just really sad to me to see us just screw up the simplest things. The sad thing is I actually expect these screwups as it seems to be normal.

You never ever alienate your biggest donor especially when you are as poor as we are. We are not Texas, Harvard or even Arkansas for crying out loud.
Dead on! No matter what you think of her you do all you can to keep her happy even if it means bowing down from time to time.
Huge blunder—how do you recover from ticking off the largest donor and namesake of the Business school? She doesn’t seem to be one accepting of an apology. Who is in charge of fundraising?

Dead on! No matter what you think of her you do all you can to keep her happy even if it means bowing down from time to time.
Huge blunder—how do you recover from ticking off the largest donor and namesake of the Business school? She doesn’t seem to be one accepting of an apology. Who is in charge of fundraising?
We're told that's Ray's forte.

Well things are go swimmingly well. We had a BB Coach who was 3/4 of the way out the door but now we are forced to keep him so as not to lose funding. At the same time we piss off, apparently for good, our biggest donor. Nothing to see here folks, just move along. We are being lead by an elite team from top to bottom.
Fire Tanner.....it’s his fault.

Someone definitely dropped the ball. I don't know how the University would have known her mom passed away, but I assume someone on the BOT or somewhere along the line would have known and should have passed that on to others at the University. Maybe not, I dunno. Maybe nobody actually knew.

Nevertheless, as another posted noted above, this likely isn't about her mother. Her letter was not a proportional response, so it seems she already had her nose bent out of shape about something else and this just provided her an ideal opportunity to dress the University down.

I stand by my original statement: she seems like a real piece of work. But if you take crazy people's money then you gotta deal with the crazy people. If the University was in a position to do so, I'd almost want to give her the money back so we could be done with her.

Someone definitely dropped the ball. I don't know how the University would have known her mom passed away, but I assume someone on the BOT or somewhere along the line would have known and should have passed that on to others at the University. Maybe not, I dunno. Maybe nobody actually knew.

Nevertheless, as another posted noted above, this likely isn't about her mother. Her letter was not a proportional response, so it seems she already had her nose bent out of shape about something else and this just provided her an ideal opportunity to dress the University down.

I stand by my original statement: she seems like a real piece of work. But if you take crazy people's money then you gotta deal with the crazy people. If the University was in a position to do so, I'd almost want to give her the money back so we could be done with her.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the last sentence. I think her crazy has finally outweighed her donations. It’s just not worth dealing with her anymore.

I stand by my original statement: she seems like a real piece of work. But if you take crazy people's money then you got to deal with the crazy people. If the University was in a position to do so, I'd almost want to give her the money back so we could be done with her.

I don't think Darla is crazy at all, she has done a lot of positive things for USC, been a huge important benefactor, and also what she does for her home town of Lake City SC, is pretty amazing. She never had to do anything, but did.

What is crazy is how this relationship got to this point, shows me we have some serious incompetence at some levels of the schools top management, and it may be all across the board at this point, BOT, President, AD, etc, but their seem to be serious issues at UofSC.

What is crazy is how this relationship got to this point, shows me we have some serious incompetence at some levels of the schools top management, and it may be all across the board at this point, BOT, President, AD, etc, but their seem to be serious issues at UofSC.

Does anyone here actually know how/why the relationship has deteriorated? Is it definitely the University's fault? I genuinely do not know.

I'm guessing you don't deal with clients that infuse millions of dollars into your company.

Look, I get that the going trend on here is to bash the University for everything. It's very "in" right now. But, come on, Darla's just nutty. Anyone who doesn't see this letter as just a tad over the top is probably nutty as well. Who leaked the letter in the first place?

I'm torn between:
1) Wow, this a major f-up by somebody in administration in charge of writing condolence letters to donors.
2) Geez, what a freaking diva....oh wait, she's a billionaire, so I better suck it up and go back to 1).

I'm torn between:
1) Wow, this a major f-up by somebody in administration in charge of writing condolence letters to donors.
2) Geez, what a freaking diva....oh wait, she's a billionaire, so I better suck it up and go back to 1).

Right? The two are not mutually exclusive. It's just so strange to me that, in what should be a time of grieving over the loss of a parent, she took the time to write this silly letter. She was obviously already locked and loaded about something else.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Who whines because some entity didn’t send condolences after your mother dies? Seriously, if your mother passes, you have to be seriously self absorbed to notice or care who did or didn’t send condolences!
You must be a youngster. We left our church when the pastor didn’t pay his respects when my grandmother passed. Small town. Small church. It’s called respect. Something this world seriously lacks.

You must be a youngster. We left our church when the pastor didn’t pay his respects when my grandmother passed. Small town. Small church. It’s called respect. Something this world seriously lacks.

That's kind of petty. Nevertheless, I don't draw an equivalence between a small, country church and a major state University.

In other news, Darla just got a new hairdo:

f15989c8fa7451e786a693378507df36.jpg

Can USC do anything right? I live in Virginia and I will be steering my kids to UVA, VA. Tech, or William and Mary. USC seems to end with disappointment no matter what it does. My mother wanted me to go to UGA and the longer I live, the more she looks like she knew what she was talking about. God bless her soul.
Well I guess you can stop being a fan of USC as if today then, good luck to you and your kids.

Rich person expects her ass kissed. Shocker. But when they give that type of coin, you do it. The same people saying we shouldn't are the same ones who said the Muschamp contract was fine and dandy. The don't give anything and they have no skin in the game. They think the money just materializes from thin air.

Oh I completely agree.m
I don't think Darla is crazy at all, she has done a lot of positive things for USC, been a huge important benefactor, and also what she does for her home town of Lake City SC, is pretty amazing. She never had to do anything, but did.

^ This. It's disconcerting, and it's time our alumns band together and demand better. This wouldn't fly at many other institutions around the country. If we want excellence - it's incumbent upon us to demand it.

I guess I just don't see this as that big of a deal. Yeah, the University dropped the ball, but Darla is obviously a very high maintenance drama queen. Name something at the University after her mom and be done with it.

Reactions: 67gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT