ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn speaks out at the protest

Yea, they say you can make statistics say anything to support what you want, but I don't see that there.
You can’t look at the total numbers and ignore the population disparity. One of those groups makes up about 75% of the US the other about 15% and yet the total numbers there aren’t anywhere near that far off.

After harping back and forth about the protesters, rioters and what Staley said; the one person in the middle of this has been forgotten in all this and that's George Floyd....

After seeing the video and listening to this poor guy was calling out for help as a lot of people stood by and filmed a murder...

Reactions: nikolas22
Never thought I would see Carolina fans turn against Dawn Staley! What is this world coming to? McMaster chose our University President...and some of you said get over it! Dawn Staley feels strongly about the election...and some think she should shut up! This is going to be an unsettling summer!

You can’t look at the total numbers and ignore the population disparity. One of those groups makes up about 75% of the US the other about 15% and yet the total numbers there aren’t anywhere near that far off.
Men vs women is the real problem. Statistics say that around 50% should be women.

Never thought I would see Carolina fans turn against Dawn Staley! What is this world coming to? McMaster chose our University President...and some of you said get over it! Dawn Staley feels strongly about the election...and some think she should shut up! This is going to be an unsettling summer!
I think Dawn Staley is a very good basketball coach and glad she is coaching at USC. However, I don't look to her for advice on other things.

True that...I think people have misinterpret what Dawn was saying. If you don't like what's going one then we all have the power to change it...go out and vote. I think she has earned the right to speak her mind. Some may not like what she is saying and her being the coach shouldn't quite her voice.

Reactions: nikolas22

We want our coaches to coach, not become a politician...

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
IMO, the center focus of ire at this point should be the orchestrated media {on both sides of the aisle} fanning the flames for profit as our country burns and racial tension escalates.

Reactions: Expro19
How did you get 3 times more Caucasian than African Americans
White 377
Black 235
White 42
Black 31

The Bureau of Justice Statistics doesn't have data published for 2019 or 2020 yet. I used what data they do have, which ranges from twice as many in 2011 to three times as many in 2015, which is the most recent. That is the DOJ statistics. Most of what you find online is from advocacy groups and they usually don't explain how they get their data.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=82

If you guys are really interested in having a discussion on the topic, here is the analyis of the data from the FBI database. It isn't really that easy to get out. Its has some flaws because most data comes from news reports, while a much smaller percentage comes from agency self-reporting. This year will be the first year that a comprehensive mandatory reporting structure will be in place, and it won't be publicly accessible. I won't tell anyone what they should think about it, do with you what you will:

Total number of police shootings by race: 3 times more Caucasian than African American.

Adjusted for population: Twice as many African Americans then Caucasian.

Normalized for population and violent crime arrests: Only about a 3% difference between the two categories leaning towards African Americans. (Within the margin or error)

Think what you will, those are the statistics.

Was there a statistic for how many whites versus blacks not suspected or actively involved in a violent crime have been shot or, you know, choked out and killed? Or any FBI study of how many instances of harassment law-abiding whites suffer at the hands of law enforcement versus blacks?

I appreciate the statistics that you cite (seriously, thanks for going to that effort... a lot of folks don't), but they only address a very small part of the picture and the systemic issues about which folks are expressing outrage right now. Those issues don't start or end with law enforcement, and incidents with the small number of bad actors in law enforcement (I choose to believe than an overwhelming number in that profession are good, honest people who are trying to do good in their communities) often have as much to do with power wielded indiscriminately as they do with race. Even if all of that is true, though, it doesn't refute the existence of systemic, institutional discrimination and bigotry issues that people of color deal with every day. Many of those issues are tiny by comparison to the harm that George Floyd and his family suffered, but I imagine even the tiniest of crosses to bear can get pretty heavy when you have thousands of them hanging from you.

Regarding Coach Staley's essay, I would hazard a guess that she assumes, and probably rightly so, that many of the folks to whom she is speaking directly are not fans of Donald Trump. Thus, the message "don't tear crap up... express your anger at the voting booth" is probably the best way to get the attention of the folks who might be engaged in violent or destructive protests. I don't doubt that she's not a fan of the president either, but her message applies with equal force to the presidency, federal, state and local elections. Regardless of her beliefs, she doesn't implore folks to vote the president out of office; she implores them to engage in constructive rather than destructive activism.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
That's a very novel approach. Hadn't thought of that before.
I don't know how accurate this is, but it was the first thing that came up on google:

2017 - men 940, women 45
2018 - men 942, women 53
2019 - men 961, women 43
2020 - men 220, women 6

Was there a statistic for how many whites versus blacks not suspected or actively involved in a violent crime have been shot or, you know, choked out and killed? Or any FBI study of how many instances of harassment law-abiding whites suffer at the hands of law enforcement versus blacks?

I appreciate the statistics that you cite (seriously, thanks for going to that effort... a lot of folks don't), but they only address a very small part of the picture and the systemic issues about which folks are expressing outrage right now. Those issues don't start or end with law enforcement, and incidents with the small number of bad actors in law enforcement (I choose to believe than an overwhelming number in that profession are good, honest people who are trying to do good in their communities) often have as much to do with power wielded indiscriminately as they do with race. Even if all of that is true, though, it doesn't refute the existence of systemic, institutional discrimination and bigotry issues that people of color deal with every day. Many of those issues are tiny by comparison to the harm that George Floyd and his family suffered, but I imagine even the tiniest of crosses to bear can get pretty heavy when you have thousands of them hanging from you.

Regarding Coach Staley's essay, I would hazard a guess that she assumes, and probably rightly so, that many of the folks to whom she is speaking directly are not fans of Donald Trump. Thus, the message "don't tear crap up... express your anger at the voting booth" is probably the best way to get the attention of the folks who might be engaged in violent or destructive protests. I don't doubt that she's not a fan of the president either, but her message applies with equal force to the presidency, federal, state and local elections. Regardless of her beliefs, she doesn't implore folks to vote the president out of office; she implores them to engage in constructive rather than destructive activism.
I know this wasn’t the primary part of what you posted but this just seemed to fit. It’s from a 2018 Chris Rock comedy special.

"I don’t think they pay cops enough," Chris Rock said “And you get what you pay for. Here’s the thing, man. Whenever the cops gun down an innocent black man, they always say the same thing: 'Well, it’s not most cops. It’s just a few bad apples. It’s just a few bad apples.'"

Rock continued: "Bad apple? That’s a lovely name for murderer. That almost sounds nice. I’ve had a bad apple. It was tart, but it didn’t choke me out. Here’s the thing. Here’s the thing. I know being a cop is hard. I know that shit’s dangerous. I know it is, okay? But some jobs can’t have bad apples."

"Some jobs, everybody gotta be good. Like … pilots. Ya know, American Airlines can’t be like, 'Most of our pilots like to land. We just got a few bad apples that like to crash into mountains. Please bear with us.'"

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I'm getting totally disgusted with the old thing. No one can report straight news, that is the actual events without slander mis characterizations. You don't like a person, just throw somebody's blog info out there or better yet network TV. As conservatives we didn't like Obama's policies, but we took them without the absolute fire and brimstone hate we're getting now. Before the China virus the economy was clicking, low unemployment across the board, higher wages for the middle class, bolstered military, great outlook for the US, renewed trade agreements to help the US, set up business zones for minorities in the big cities, pushed through reduced sentences for non violent criminals, repealed the idiot Iran agreement, got manufacturing back on track. Now all of sudden, virus, shut down, economy busted and a undeserved death of a black person and all heck hits the bottom. The man has done the most in 3 years as any President to get the US on track. And not a one for all global country. You can throw your endless Dem talking points out there, and you probably believe half of them because it's been chiseled in your brains. Good luck with all of y'alls marching orders.

She is not a politician...she is expressing her views as a black woman in the USA. Some of you do not like her thoughts.

Wrong! Dawn is a Major basketball coach and she has a higher platform than the average person...

Dawn can expressing her views as a woman...

Why does this have to be a black thing??

We all witnessed a murder on video... These dirty cops has had 12 complaints in the past and why haven't the Mayor, Police Chief, the Governor do something about in MN???

Oh, did I mention they are all white democrats, par for the course in these big cities... Sweep the bad cops under the rug...

Reactions: bucketdad
Regardless of her beliefs, she doesn't implore folks to vote the president out of office.

"Trump is the president of the United States, and if he’s not unifying, he’s not helping.

Him saying, “When the looting starts, the shooting starts” … that type of statement is not helping anybody. That’s not unifying this country. We need a unifier in the position of the most powerful person in the world.

If you can’t be the president for every American, then we as the VOTERS need to change that."

Direct quote from the article. That is unequivocally imploring folks to vote the President out of office.

I am in agreement with some others that it is not in the best interest of any of our coaches to make political commentaries.

Right now, we can only work with the data that we have. The FBI is currently working through the roll out of its National Use of Force Data Collection which will give better data on overall rates as well as who initiated contact (police or civilian), etc. Hopefully, in the coming years, we'll be able to have a more complete conversation about what is happening systemically.

The only problem I have with your post is that in the first paragraph, you talk about micro events (single occurrences - this happened to this guy for this reason) and then seem to extrapolate that into the macro when talking about systemic issues. Its hard to talk about the who's and the why's when the what's are barely defined. The purpose of my post was just to put the data we do have out and let you decide what you will. I have an opinion, but it doesn't help here to throw that into the mix.

I'm getting totally disgusted with the old thing. No one can report straight news, that is the actual events without slander mis characterizations. You don't like a person, just throw somebody's blog info out there or better yet network TV. As conservatives we didn't like Obama's policies, but we took them without the absolute fire and brimstone hate we're getting now. Before the China virus the economy was clicking, low unemployment across the board, higher wages for the middle class, bolstered military, great outlook for the US, renewed trade agreements to help the US, set up business zones for minorities in the big cities, pushed through reduced sentences for non violent criminals, repealed the idiot Iran agreement, got manufacturing back on track. Now all of sudden, virus, shut down, economy busted and a undeserved death of a black person and all heck hits the bottom. The man has done the most in 3 years as any President to get the US on track. And not a one for all global country. You can throw your endless Dem talking points out there, and you probably believe half of them because it's been chiseled in your brains. Good luck with all of y'alls marching orders.
See post 60.

I just read the Finebaum interview. It is the narrative that has been taught. She needs to think about what she is saying.

I know this wasn’t the primary part of what you posted but this just seemed to fit. It’s from a 2018 Chris Rock comedy special.

"I don’t think they pay cops enough," Chris Rock said “And you get what you pay for. Here’s the thing, man. Whenever the cops gun down an innocent black man, they always say the same thing: 'Well, it’s not most cops. It’s just a few bad apples. It’s just a few bad apples.'"

Rock continued: "Bad apple? That’s a lovely name for murderer. That almost sounds nice. I’ve had a bad apple. It was tart, but it didn’t choke me out. Here’s the thing. Here’s the thing. I know being a cop is hard. I know that shit’s dangerous. I know it is, okay? But some jobs can’t have bad apples."

"Some jobs, everybody gotta be good. Like … pilots. Ya know, American Airlines can’t be like, 'Most of our pilots like to land. We just got a few bad apples that like to crash into mountains. Please bear with us.'"

He's not wrong.

She decline a invitation due to timing, not because of whose in the white house like some are suggesting.

If she wanted to go, she would have gone. Its a day trip, maybe an overnight and wasn't scheduled the same day as any events or games. She said in her statement that it was because of schedule, but she could have made it work.

Something is very noticeable on this board. When Frank Martin says something outside of the realm of sports, he gets it. He gets it so much that you have a good percentage that want to give him a pass on his mediocre record on what he is paid to do. When Dawn Stanley says something, you get a 4 page thread with a good portion talking about how she should stick to sports. No, she shouldn't, nor should any other of these Power 5 coaches in Basketball or Football whose main charge is to guide and protect kids who in many cases look a whole lot like George Floyd. If they don't stand up for them, then who will, and why do they even have these jobs in the first place? As most coaches will tell you in times of no controversy, their role is more than wins and losses. However, as I have learned through 53 years of life, people tend to only want to hear what you have to say when they agree.

She decline a invitation due to timing, not because of whose in the white house like some are suggesting.
That's baloney. It could have been worked out. She does not like the man, period and believes all the political talking points.

"Trump is the president of the United States, and if he’s not unifying, he’s not helping.

Him saying, “When the looting starts, the shooting starts” … that type of statement is not helping anybody. That’s not unifying this country. We need a unifier in the position of the most powerful person in the world.

If you can’t be the president for every American, then we as the VOTERS need to change that."

Direct quote from the article. That is unequivocally imploring folks to vote the President out of office.

I am in agreement with some others that it is not in the best interest of any of our coaches to make political commentaries.
Again Tim Scott made almost the exact same quotes about Trump’s response. If you weren’t offended when he said it you shouldn’t be because she said it. Basketball coach or not she has just as much of a right to an opinion as anyone else. If it was seen as support for the actions would you feel the same way?

Something is very noticeable on this board. When Frank Martin says something outside of the realm of sports, he gets it. He gets it so much that you have a good percentage that want to give him a pass on his mediocre record on what he is paid to do. When Dawn Stanley says something, you get a 4 page thread with a good portion talking about how she should stick to sports. No, she shouldn't, nor should any other of these Power 5 coaches in Basketball or Football whose main charge is to guide and protect kids who in many cases look a whole lot like George Floyd. If they don't stand up for them, then who will, and why do they even have these jobs in the first place? As most coaches will tell you in times of no controversy, their role is more than wins and losses. However, as I have learned through 53 years of life, people tend to only want to hear what you have to say when they agree.
No, I have no interest in anything Frank Martin says other than related to the USC men's basketball program.

Now, if either of them would provide some good stock tips, I might listen. :)

No real fan is turning on Dawn Staley. She's a wonderful person who is telling her story and a lot of people are not comfortable hearing. The way her mother was treated growing up, it's amazing she even wanted to come back to South Carolina. We are blessed that she did. And before you criticize her for "turning down" the invitation to the white house, please educate yourself on that story. She wanted to go and was planning on going.

If she wanted to go, she would have gone. Its a day trip, maybe an overnight and wasn't scheduled the same day as any events or games. She said in her statement that it was because of schedule, but she could have made it work.
You seem to make a lot of assumptions based on your personal bias. All I know it that for 10 years Dawn Staley has been nothing but a class act and a woman of her word. When asked if the team would go to the White House if we won the tournament, she said yes that's what champions do. In the months following she was asking for a invite and never received one. When she finally got one we we're already getting into the swing of a new season. Again I see nothing here to prove that this was some type of political statement. She and the team had moved on at that point. What you should be mad about is why was UNC men's basketball able to get multiple invites and decline and we didn't.

Is that what Senator Scott said as well before Staley did? She’s simply repeating what our Republican senator said.
Again, you're not understanding what I've said several times.... it's fine for her to say what she said. That's freedom of speech. My issue is that by having it tweeted out by USC social media accounts, it's viewed as an endorsement of her opinion that people should vote out Trump and that opinion is likely not the opinion of everyone at the university. You can bet that nothing would ever be tweeted from the official USC athletics account where one of our coaches was wearing a MAGA hat. It would be fine if they did it on their personal accounts however.

You seem to make a lot of assumptions based on your personal bias. All I know it that for 10 years Dawn Staley has been nothing but a class act and a woman of her word. When asked if the team would go to the White House if we won the tournament, she said yes that's what champions do. In the months following she was asking for a invite and never received one. When she finally got one we we're already getting into the swing of a new season. Again I see nothing here to prove that this was some type of political statement. She and the team had moved on at that point. What you should be mad about is why was UNC men's basketball able to get multiple invites and decline and we didn't.
I suspect it is because most people in the US are very interested in men's basketball and are not very interested in women's basketball.

No, I have no interest in anything Frank Martin says other than related to the USC men's basketball program.

Now, if either of them would provide some good stock tips, I might listen. :)
Well, that's good as long as it is balanced. At least we can agree on something for once.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT