ADVERTISEMENT

Did Cincinatti belong in the college football playoff?

I'll give another example of the problem i have with subjectivity in the playoffs. UGA gets totally dominated in the SEC championship game. Was there any way they were going to get bumped to a 4 seed? No way because that would mean an immediate rematch with Bama. The committee was in no way gonna let that happen. IMO, desired matchups shouldnt be a consideration.
so IN YOUR HUMBLE opinion, does Vegas think one or the other will win??

The do in FACT pick the team that will score more points (WIN BY) say Minus 7 or Plus 9. So they do not say outright the WINNER, but common sense tells you if a team is laying 24 points in Vegas, Vegas thinks they will win by 24 points> I am sure you know this, you are just being confrontational!!
I'm gonna go with @rogue cock on how Vegas sets lines. Vegas wants even money bet on both sides.

The do in FACT pick the team that will score more points (WIN BY) say Minus 7 or Plus 9. So they do not say outright the WINNER, but common sense tells you if a team is laying 24 points in Vegas, Vegas thinks they will win by 24 points> I am sure you know this, you are just being confrontational!!
If that were true, then the line they set wouldn't change. Teams have gone from underdogs (set by Vegas) to favorites based on how the betting goes.

If a team beats the spread, it doesn't mean they win. It is simply a betting line.

I'm gonna go with @rogue cock on how Vegas sets lines. Vegas wants even money bet on both sides.
I dont argue that, but Vegas sets the line on WHOM they initially think will win....... Then Adjusts accordingly based on how people wager... Vegas mya Favor say Georgia (TO WIN) by 2.5, then people load up on Bama, The line may adjust to even Bama by 2.5. I am done explaining it!!

They had their chance as far as I'm concerned. What I propose is since the playoffs would be 8 teams, conference championships (which is also the post season) would be an extension of that. As I've posted several times already, my primary goal would be to totally eliminate subjectivity and have everything won on the field. The fact that it would include every D1 was a byproduct of that. Just so happened the math worked that way. That said, in my mind, there are G5 schools every bit as good as some Power5 champs coming from a weak Power5 conference. Maybe not every year, but enough to justify inclusion imo. So to include some 'unworthy Power5 champs' and not G5 champs made no sense.
It may not be what you mean, but in reality what you are proposing is to have a phony playoff in name only to include some weak teams in order to be all inclusive rather than having the best teams competing for the NC. This is more PC that NC. Even if UGA gets beat again, they still are the most deserving team to be there. They destroyed your Big 10 conference champion and would have destroyed anyone else they played except for Bama. The 2 best teams in the country are playing for the NC which is what it should be.

It may not be what you mean, but in reality what you are proposing is to have a phony playoff in name only to include some weak teams in order to be all inclusive rather than having the best teams competing for the NC. This is more PC that NC. Even if UGA gets beat again, they still are the most deserving team to be there. They destroyed your Big 10 conference champion and would have destroyed anyone else they played except for Bama. The 2 best teams in the country are playing for the NC which is what it should be.
DING DING DING!!!! Winner Winner

I dont argue that, but Vegas sets the line on WHOM they initially think will win....... Then Adjusts accordingly based on how people wager... Vegas mya Favor say Georgia (TO WIN) by 2.5, then people load up on Bama, The line may adjust to even Bama by 2.5. I am done explaining it!!
Vegas doesn't care who might win. Vegas sets the line giving how ever many points to whichever team that in their expert opinion will draw equal money bets to both teams. Now I am done splaining it.

Reactions: rogue cock

Do you want to goto a 4-team playoff system in basketball and baseball as well? Why not allow a non-P5 team who has run the table in the regular season a chance to participate in an 8-team playoff? If they turn out to be weak, it will be practice for the Alabamas. If they happen to win, it adds intrigue.

Reactions: shagginrooster
All conferences need to be represented in the playoffs. Eight teams is ok, but 16 teams would allow for at least 3 or 4 at large selections. How do I feel about teams "deserving" to be in the playoff or not?

I can see how it would look pc. It was an unintended consequence math wise without having byes using just "Power 5s". Bottom line is you want teams to be chosen. I dont. I want teams to advance. That's obviously not going to change. That's fine.

Last edited:
in Your HUMBLE opinion what is the Vegas line?? are they giving Bama 2.5 points?? if so that means they think Georgia will win by 2.5 points!!
Not sure why me and my humble opinion should care what Vegas thinks or why I should look into it.

• Haha
Reactions: cockofdawn
in Your HUMBLE opinion what is the Vegas line?? are they giving Bama 2.5 points?? if so that means they think Georgia will win by 2.5 points!!
No it means that 2.5 points is the tipping point where Vegas thinks equal money will be bet on Bama and Georgia. If equal money is bet, it does not matter to Vegas if Georgia ultimately wins by 2 or 3 points or get the shit kicked out of them by Bama. By the way, how does a team score 1/5 of a point? :rolleyes:

Do you want to goto a 4-team playoff system in basketball and baseball as well? Why not allow a non-P5 team who has run the table in the regular season a chance to participate in an 8-team playoff? If they turn out to be weak, it will be practice for the Alabamas. If they happen to win, it adds intrigue.
You cannot compare basketball and baseball to football. You can play a game every day or every other day in basketball and baseball. You cannot do that with football. There is a reason why there are only 12 games in a regular season for football. I don't mind a non P5 team being in the playoff if they are good enough. But they have to play and beat some good P5 teams in the regular season to prove they are good enough. Playing 10 or 11 Weak Sisters of the Poor is not the same as playing a brutal SEC schedule. I don't think you bump out a better team to let them play just because they beat a bunch of weak teams. Someone earlier asked the question of what SEC teams besides Bama and UGA could beat Cincinnati? I think there are a number of SEC teams that could have. Texas A&M & Old Miss could have and possibly even Tenn, and Kentucky. I think Cincinnati is far closer to Kentucky competitively than they are to Alabama and Georgia.

I'll give another example of the problem i have with subjectivity in the playoffs. UGA gets totally dominated in the SEC championship game. Was there any way they were going to get bumped to a 4 seed? No way because that would mean an immediate rematch with Bama. The committee was in no way gonna let that happen. IMO, desired matchups shouldnt be a consideration.
And in the scenario I listed they dropped to #6 seed. It makes winning the conference important.

Reactions: bucketdad
The AAC has had a respectable run in bowls most of the last 5 years. I'd argue more than the ACC and Pac12 has been. Cinci has lead that charge most of the time. They were due to be included. Speaking of the Pac12, they should be kicked out of the P5. 0-5 +UCLA bailed. Lol

So in your scenario, Georgia doesn't make the playoffs even though they pounded Michigan and are clearly one of the 2 best teams in the country? Really dumb!
Not dumb at all, GA didnt win their conference championship. How can you be a national champion if you are not even the best team in your conference. That is what’s dumb.

Not dumb at all, GA didnt win their conference championship. How can you be a national champion if you are not even the best team in your conference. That is what’s dumb.
how many times has a NCAA basketball team won teh National Championship and not won their conference?? That has NOTHING to do with it..

Reactions: Bftboy
No, what's dumb is leaving out of the playoffs the, in worst case scenario, second best team in the country, just so you can include some inferior team that happened to win their low level conference championship. If you are going to do that, where does it end? Will you include FCS teams? D-II teams? What you are advocating is not a championship at all.

Reactions: cockofdawn
No, what's dumb is leaving out of the playoffs the, in worst case scenario, second best team in the country, just so you can include some inferior team that happened to win their low level conference championship. If you are going to do that, where does it end? Will you include FCS teams? D-II teams? What you are advocating is not a championship at all.
We can agree to disagree on that.

Reactions: JGH 35
We can agree to disagree on that.
What’s the point of having conference championship games, if they don’t mean everything? Winning your conference championship is not subjective, especially if you play in and win a championship game. I’m not sure that I totally buy into the idea of only conference champions qualifying for the CFP, but I’m absolutely sure that this current system is far from perfect and it’s not objectively fair.

What’s the point of having conference championship games, if they don’t mean everything? Winning your conference championship is not subjective, especially if you play in and win a championship game. I’m not sure that I totally buy into the idea of only conference champions qualifying for the CFP, but I’m absolutely sure that this current system is far from perfect and it’s not objectively fair.
That’s my point. I don’t buy all conference champions should be automatic. However, let’s say Georgia beats Alabama next week by 3 points. How can you say Georgia was the best team in the country this season?

It will be interesting to see if Cinci's recruiting improves because of it. I would guess yes.

Reactions: Pauliecock
Conference champions only would mean college football would no longer be the only sport in America (pro, college or high school) that doesnt allow every team to have a path to a NC if they are good enough.
If we're not gonna give all D1s a chance (which we dont) we need to split them up and let the smaller D1s play for their own NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: shagginrooster
That’s my point. I don’t buy all conference champions should be automatic. However, let’s say Georgia beats Alabama next week by 3 points. How can you say Georgia was the best team in the country this season?
Yeah, it’s not a stretch to say that it looks a little unfair for other teams. Fortunately for the CFP, all the other P5 champs lost a game as well. Georgia just happened to lose their 1st game in the SECCG, while they were ranked #1. Justifying the decision to drop them down to only #3.

How could you say they are not? They would have beaten the other best team in the country and would have lost only one game while playing in the toughest conference in the country and having a difficult schedule. I don't think there is any question at all that Bama and UGA are the two best teams in the country. Who else could it possibly be? The fact that they come from the same conference is irrelevant to the fact that they are the 2 best teams in the country. The winner will be NC and that is as it should be. The best playing the best with the winner being the NC. That's a true National Championship rather than some mamby pamby made up playoff system that rewards inferior teams with a playoff spot and a participation trophy.

Absolutely they deserved to get in.
That said, I'd like nothing more than getting the guesswork and opinions of the so-called experts out of college football. These conversations shouldnt even be a thing imo.

My bracket would be an eight team bracket made up of 6 conference champions and 2 of 4 teams playing their way in. Move the AAC to the Power 5 making it the Power 6. Now the G5 is G4. This year for instance, the MWC champ would play the Sunbelt champ. Winner gets in. CUSA champ would play MAC champ. Winner gets in. Automatic ins for the 6 Power 6 champs.
There you have it. 8 team playoff built from all 10 conferences. And you just made all conference championship and play-in games must see tv. No subjective decisions necessary. No second chances. Everything is settled on the field. Done.
Then it would have been Bama and no Georgia this year. Okay.

Why give a 4 loss team a chance to win a title just because their conference was worse? Not all conferences are equal so being a conference winner doesn’t mean the same.
If the Sun Belt champion can roll over the Tide in Tuscaloosa in an opening round playoff game, then they deserve to move on to the next round.

The Cincinnati example is just another reason I think moving to an 8-team playoff (max) seems logical. There would be no discussion about whether they deserved a CFP spot AND they would need to win 3 games against the best teams of that year to win it all.

Monopolies suck. Everyone is in search of the definitive best team and the answer to that question most years is Alabama whether they win it all or not. It's fun to see teams who have no avenue with which to play in P5 conferences try to compete in the Playoffs.
Like in basketball.

That was my big issue with how the selection went.
Back in the day when the University of Kentucky patently refused to schedule any in-state school in anything, the March Madness committee did their darndest to try to match up UK and Louisville in hoops.

I know it's a different sport and the circumstances were different. Still....

Reactions: rogue cock
How could you say they are not? They would have beaten the other best team in the country and would have lost only one game while playing in the toughest conference in the country and having a difficult schedule. I don't think there is any question at all that Bama and UGA are the two best teams in the country. Who else could it possibly be? The fact that they come from the same conference is irrelevant to the fact that they are the 2 best teams in the country. The winner will be NC and that is as it should be. The best playing the best with the winner being the NC. That's a true National Championship rather than some mamby pamby made up playoff system that rewards inferior teams with a playoff spot and a participation trophy.
Can’t be the best team in the country If your not the best team in your conference. Period. What you are saying is conference championships don’t matter. Then why play them? Conference championships are the post season. You can’t lose in the post season and go to the national championship in my opinion and you won’t change my mind on that

Should have the Patriots been super bowl champs over the giants because they beat them in week 16? Every sport teams avenge losses to teams they lost in the regular season to.

Should have the Patriots been super bowl champs over the giants because they beat them in week 16? Every sport teams avenge losses to teams they lost in the regular season to.
Conference championships are not regular season. What happen if an in division rival is a wild card and beats their division winner in the post season? Speaking NFL of course.

Can’t be the best team in the country If your not the best team in your conference. Period. What you are saying is conference championships don’t matter. Then why play them? Conference championships are the post season. You can’t lose in the post season and go to the national championship in my opinion and you won’t change my mind on that
Then for the sake of consistency, we need to eliminate at large bids for both March Madness and June whatever you want to call the baseball playoffs.

Reactions: CockyinNoVa
If the Sun Belt champion can roll over the Tide in Tuscaloosa in an opening round playoff game, then they deserve to move on to the next round.

I could say the same thing about any team. It’s self evident if a team can win a playoff game they should get to keep playing. It’s about do they deserve to get in over a 1 loss P5 team that is in a likelihood better.

Conference championships are not regular season. What happen if an in division rival is a wild card and beats their division winner in the post season? Speaking NFL of course.

Your argument is how can you say UGA is best team if they loss to Bama than beat them. Regular season or not, it happens all the time in sports. Duke and UNC beat each other in the ACC and NCAA tournament and no one think that means they’re less deserving of the title.

Btw conference title games are way more like regular season than cfp. There’s a 7 day usual schedule vs a month off of prep like the cfp. So think the random differentiation you’re making is bogus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT