ADVERTISEMENT

Does Jason Brown have another year?

Does Luke have an argument to apply for a medical redshirt? It would be nice to have Luke as a redshirt freshman next year, particularly if Brown is our starter.

Reactions: AngloCock
Doty will hit the portal before he sits a whole year behind Brown. It's the world we live in.
Well, if he is not the best option that would be the best option for all involved. Play the player that gives you the best chance to win. If a player can’t stay here and earn it we don’t need em

Well, that's what competition is all about. Want to be the starter, earn it, off the field, team rooms, practice and game time. Cream rises to the top.

Reactions: Flameout12
Well, if he is not the best option that would be the best option for all involved. Play the player that gives you the best chance to win. If a player can’t stay here and earn it we don’t need em
If we have someone better out there, and some depth from somewhere, I won't lose any sleep over what he does.

If we have someone better out there, and some depth from somewhere, I won't lose any sleep over what he does.
Yep. Too many players jump ship and don’t want to stay and battle to earn playing time. If you not good enough to start here you probably not good enough. Work harder lol

He might fool me, but Brown isn't a fixture just yet, either.
Agree. People have strong tendency to overlook a ton of other variables that factored in to the game last night. When all you focus on is the quarterback, he either gets all the glory or all the blame.

I hope he continues to improve and make good decisions.

He might fool me, but Brown isn't a fixture just yet, either.
I disagree. He is a fixture, IMO. He took that job last night. Yeah, they obviously worked and changed some stuff for the better during the off week, but there was an energy on offense that wasn’t there at any point before. His poise in the pocket compared to the other guys is unmistakable. This is THE GUY, and the way this team played last night(and had more fun than I’ve seen in a long time doing it)proved it to me.

It was one game, an exciting one, no doubt; let's see how we finish.
You are correct. It was one game. But, the excitement in that one game was more than in the first 8 games combined - playing against a team that is only a few weeks removed from the CFP discussions. And, the results are indisputable.

I disagree. He is a fixture, IMO. He took that job last night. Yeah, they obviously worked and changed some stuff for the better during the off week, but there was an energy on offense that wasn’t there at any point before. His poise in the pocket compared to the other guys is unmistakable. This is THE GUY, and the way this team played last night(and had more fun than I’ve seen in a long time doing it)proved it to me.
If he has another year of eligibility remaining, whether he is a fixture or not will require multiple games, including his holding on to the job in his final year.

I was actually thinking exactly that. He'd be a good fit there.
Doty would never see the field at Coastal. Grayson McCall has two more years, and they are loaded at QB with 6 on the roster and two more in this incoming class.

Looks like Jason Brown only played
2018 - 6 games
2019 - Named a STATS FCS Sophomore Honorable All-American
2020 - due to COVID-19, the Northeast Conference moved its fall schedule to the spring of 2021. And I don't think he played in the Spring.
2021 - 4 games for Carolina...

Based on this information, he has another year... If he can do well and ended up winning the next 3 to 4 games, he may be drafted in 2022 and skip his finial year at Carolina... Maybe...

Doty would never see the field at Coastal. Grayson McCall has two more years, and they are loaded at QB with 6 on the roster and two more in this incoming class.

Jaycee is correct! We'll have 6 on the roster next season and we're really excited about the two incoming Freshman. There was talk about our QB1 Grayson McCall leaving for the NFL after this season (I didn't/don't believe that). If that was even remotely true, it's deflated now that he's out indefinitely with a upper body injury.

I'm positive he comes back next year and no way Doty unseats him! So, I think the chances of him coming to Coastal are slim. And I'm certain we wouldn't be beating down the door for his services. Don't get me wrong, we'd be glad to have him, but I don't see any circumstance where he beats McCall for the starting job.

I say we should not be so quick to proclaim Brown as our immediate future. He played one game and he played it extremely well. I find it difficult to believe our coaching staff hasn't assessed his potential correctly all this time.

I say we should not be so quick to proclaim Brown as our immediate future. He played one game and he played it extremely well. I find it difficult to believe our coaching staff hasn't assessed his potential correctly all this time.
Sorry but Beamer doesn't have a choice for the immediate future. He will be run out of town if he puts Zeb in there againt Mizzu.

Last edited:
They may have assessed it correctly. He may be better now than at the beginning of the season. That does not mean that he has not learned and adjusted to the speed of the SEC games recently opposed to what he was used to. Also I understand he was a little heavy coming into the season.

Reactions: Scuba_do
But if we come out next week against Missouri and get hammered, then he no longer is THE GUY. The one game was awesome - the first truly fun game to watch in a long time - but it was only one game. We have to build on it.

Reactions: funktavious

Whoa...pump the brakes. A fixture? He was 14/24 for 175 yards in a game where we dominated the LOS for the first time this season and the run game went wild. He played well, especially considering it was first real SEC experience, but it was one game. Yes, I think he's obviously earned the start against Mizzou. Don't really think there's any question about that, but there are maybe a handful of QBs in college football you can say are fixtures.

Reactions: funktavious
But if we come out next week against Missouri and get hammered, then he no longer is THE GUY. The one game was awesome - the first truly fun game to watch in a long time - but it was only one game. We have to build on it.
Who you going to play that gives us a better chance to win if he struggles against Mizzu. Zeb?

If we get hammered it will be more because the OL, receivers and RBs did not do their job. I've got a feeling Rattler will be here next year. Should be fun even with Brown and Doty coming back.

Has anyone answered the original question? He is a 5th year senior, did he already use his free covid redshirt last year? or can he come back for a 6th year?

Yes. He redshirted his first season at St. Francis. Played in 2018 and 2019. Last year didn't count. So he has this year and next year.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Who you going to play that gives us a better chance to win if he struggles against Mizzu. Zeb?
I would still play him. But I wouldn't act like he's the qb of the future after one game. Hilinski looked fantastic against Alabama, but we never saw that player again - and we know how it turned out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT