ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody begged for a playoff and it ruined the sport!

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
“Let more people in”
“It is the only fair way to do it”
“More teams will have a shot at success”

all the BS was wrong the CFB playoff has ruined the game. 90% of regular season games no longer matter and any bowl not part of the CFP are a complete waste of time. Oh but the biggest crime is the way they completely eliminated parity or even the POSSIBILITY that anyone new might emerge as a contender- and they have now allowed the power hosues to take ALL the power.

I am not saying the BCS was perfect but anything is better than this! Not here to be an “I told you so” kind of person but I have never been a fan of a playoff in CFB and we are at a point where you have to blow everything up and rebuild it to fix this mess now. (Which they will never do).

People complained about the selection criteria in the pre-BCS era.

People complained about the selection criteria in the BCS era.

People complain about the selection criteria in the CFP era.

Notice a trend?

There is NO conceivable system which everyone will agree is fair.

Problem is, it is still subjective. Texas A&M is easily one of the best in the country this year, ND has ZERO reason to be in this thing, They beat the taters, and the taters were without their most important player, A&M would beat ND by 20 points!! Hell Fla is better than ND..
ND in the playoffs is nuts after that tater beating. I bet Dabo was thinking it was time to pullback so he could keep them in rather than risk A&M.

Before only two teams had a shot. Now four do. I don't see how that makes it harder to get there. 90% of the bowls have never meant anything. Heck, back in the old days none of them meant anything. Used to be they awarded the national championship at the end of the regular season.

I just dont agree with some of the arguments.

I dont see any regular season games meaning less in the playoff area than they did in the BCS era, or pre bcs.

And any bowl outside the title game could always be called a "waste of time".

I personally like the playoffs, but I'm comparing it to pre bcs, when #1 rarely if ever played #2, and the bcs when a third ranked team had a legitimate argument but was left out of any title chance.

The haves separating from the have nots is not so much a product of the playoffs as people think, imho.

ND in the playoffs is nuts after that tater beating. I bet Dabo was thinking it was time to pullback so he could keep them in rather than risk A&M.

I get not wanting to punish teams for playing more games. ND could have easily come up with a excuse to not play their conference championship game at all and they would have still made the playoff, maybe even at #2.

Before only two teams had a shot. Now four do. I don't see how that makes it harder to get there. 90% of the bowls have never meant anything. Heck, back in the old days none of them meant anything. Used to be they awarded the national championship at the end of the regular season.
For me, the biggest problem is that the limited number of spots means the same programs are getting all the recruits because they look like the only ones who ever have a shot of making it. Maybe I have it backwards. In any event, more spaces would be more exciting, though logistically tough because the season would stretch out so much longer.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I get not wanting to punish teams for playing more games. ND could have easily come up with a excuse to not play their conference championship game at all and they would have still made the playoff, maybe even at #2.
ND has played NOONE!! played one team with a pulse, and that team was without its MVP.. SO NO Notre Dame SHOULD not be in there, Hell OSU deserves it more than ND.. OSU at least beat a couple College teams.

Reactions: SOSUSC
The 1-AA guys seem to have gotten it right for a mighty long time.
Depends on what your definition of “right” is. North Dakota State has won 8 of the last 9 championships.
I don’t think the problem is so much that only 10 schools have a shot at the CFP but rather ALL of the media coverage and buzz is focused solely on the CFP. Everyone is told that if you don’t make the CFP then you are failing, that’s just not true. It’s perception.

Depends on what your definition of “right” is. North Dakota State has won 8 of the last 9 championships.
I don’t think the problem is so much that only 10 schools have a shot at the CFP but rather ALL of the media coverage and buzz is focused solely on the CFP. Everyone is told that if you don’t make the CFP then you are failing, that’s just not true. It’s perception.

Good grief, can you imagine the whining if one team had displayed that kind of dominance in the FBS?

Reactions: edistotiger05
Problem is, it is still subjective. Texas A&M is easily one of the best in the country this year, ND has ZERO reason to be in this thing, They beat the taters, and the taters were without their most important player, A&M would beat ND by 20 points!! Hell Fla is better than ND..
ND would be a small favorite over A&M on a neutral field. I'm not making that up, i heard/read it several places. That is info that is actually available. This notion that A&M is vastly superior to ND is pretty funny. They are very similar teams to me - both have plenty of flaws.

There needs to be more teams in the playoff. Everybody likes the NCAA basketball tourney because the underdog pulls a lot of upsets. I have no problem if say a 3 loss team gets hot, wins its conference title game then stays hot in the playoffs and wins out. In that case the team earned it on the field. They probably would have had to beat the top teams to win it.

Expand.

Look at basketball. How often do the lowest seeded teams make it to the championship game? Yet, we the fans think, “If we make it to the NCAA tournament, our program is doing okay.” We use the tournament as a gauge to measure success. Not ultimate success but we still feel better about a coach and program if we make it.

Or, take the NFL as an example. Teams that don’t do well can still win their division if they get hot. Tenn. comes to mind as a recent team that went far into the playoffs but didn’t have a stellar regular season. It can happen.

So, why not expand? Reduce regular season games and scholarships (both ideas have been mentioned by others). Level the playing field by matriculation. Give more “Tenn” teams the opportunity to make a run. Look past the same old teams making it every year because of a subjective selection for the few.

Reactions: rogue cock
ND would be a small favorite over A&M on a neutral field. I'm not making that up, i heard/read it several places. That is info that is actually available. This notion that A&M is vastly superior to ND is pretty funny. They are very similar teams to me - both have plenty of flaws.
i disagree, A & M would be favored IN south bend

“Let more people in”
“It is the only fair way to do it”
“More teams will have a shot at success”

all the BS was wrong the CFB playoff has ruined the game. 90% of regular season games no longer matter and any bowl not part of the CFP are a complete waste of time. Oh but the biggest crime is the way they completely eliminated parity or even the POSSIBILITY that anyone new might emerge as a contender- and they have now allowed the power hosues to take ALL the power.

I am not saying the BCS was perfect but anything is better than this! Not here to be an “I told you so” kind of person but I have never been a fan of a playoff in CFB and we are at a point where you have to blow everything up and rebuild it to fix this mess now. (Which they will never do).

Yep. Discussed this when it was first implemented.

CFP created a network "velocity" effect similar to what you see business.

Good luck unwinding.

Reactions: rogue cock
i disagree, A & M would be favored IN south bend
Why are they only favored by 6 on a neutral field over UNC? ND was favored in Chapel Hill by 6 and won by 14. There really isn't any evidence to support your claim other than "cause SEC."

They are two very similar teams.. there's no point in pretending that one is vastly superior to the other.

It makes it harder because players know that only 6-8 teams total each year even have a shot of sniffing the CFP, and of those only about 5 have actually made it and even won a single game in the CFP. So, under previous systems where there was still value to building a program that could make a high level bowl and those were considered achievements, players would go to a wider range of schools.. now when they only out any value on making the playoff- there are only about 6-8 schools even being considered by most of the top players. It has killed any hope of parity in CFB. Perhaps this free agency we are seeing develop will balance the scales a it as top flight talent gets bored riding the pine behind 3 other 5* guys ahead of them at Bama and cu, they may start looking around again for a spot where they can play earlier if they don’t need to sit for a year...

People complained about the selection criteria in the pre-BCS era.

People complained about the selection criteria in the BCS era.

People complain about the selection criteria in the CFP era.

Notice a trend?

There is NO conceivable system which everyone will agree is fair.
Nope- but there HAS TO BE a system where more than 4-5 teams are happy. There just HAS TO BE... We have seen it. In our lifetimes where a nee team has won a Nc. UF was the last new team to win it all back in the mid-90s when SOS did it. That was too long ago. But it was still “possible” back then. We haven’t seen it happen in 25 years or so because it is virtually IMpossible today and that makes the season seem pretty damn pointless for everyone except Bama, OSU, cu...

I just dont agree with some of the arguments.

I dont see any regular season games meaning less in the playoff area than they did in the BCS era, or pre bcs.

And any bowl outside the title game could always be called a "waste of time".

I personally like the playoffs, but I'm comparing it to pre bcs, when #1 rarely if ever played #2, and the bcs when a third ranked team had a legitimate argument but was left out of any title chance.

The haves separating from the have nots is not so much a product of the playoffs as people think, imho.

“I dont see any regular season games meaning less in the playoff area than they did in the BCS era, or pre bcs.”

tell that to Cinci and Coastal today. Undefeated regular seasons, conf champions... Still could not even sniff a playoff invite despite playing more games against better teams than OSU. Seems their ENTIRE SCHEDULE was meaningless because their names were not Notre Dane or OSU.

Last edited:
You can already see the flaws with an proposed expansion.

Some are arguing to expand it conference champions while others argue to just expand to the top 8 or 10 teams.

In the former, if some conference champion should finish outside the top 10, you'll have a top 10 team who got passed over complaining. In the latter, if a conference champion should finish outside the 1op 8 or 10 teams and get excluded they'll complain that conference championship should mean something.

Comparisons to the NFL are stupid. You're only dealing with 32 teams and you have a pretty good mixup of cross-division games. That's just not possible with 130 FBS teams.

“I dont see any regular season games meaning less in the playoff area than they did in the BCS era, or pre bcs.”

tell that to Cinci and Coastal today. Undefeated regular seasons, conf champions... Still could not even sniff a playoff invite despite playing more games against better teams than OSU. Seems their ENTIRE SCHEDULE was meaningless because their banes were not Notre Dane or OSU.

But that was the same in the bcs era, and the pre bcs era. Nothing has changed for them.

Reactions: ddw1263
Even pre BCS you rarely had more that two teams who would even be in the conversation as the best team in the country. This whole thing was made up to justify more money and has nothing to do with declaring a “champion”.

In terms of the recruiting my guess is that if you went back and looked even pre-BCS there was a direct correlation on to the top 10 in both the AP and recruiting rankings.

I agree with this. I think the playoff should be expanded but the combination of a small, 4-team playoff, expanded non-stop tv coverage and the media hype of the CFP has really pushed it all out of whack. Way too may talking heads shows that talk the race to the CFP non-stop all season long. That of course means that the 4-5-6 teams in contention for the playoff get all the focus and media attention. It is a monster that feeds itself.......media focuses on the playoff teams, who they choose to focus on gets all the attention for the 4 teams in, those teams make the playoff every year and the exposure helps them keep raking in the recruits.

Reactions: ClemDent
It makes it harder because players know that only 6-8 teams total each year even have a shot of sniffing the CFP, and of those only about 5 have actually made it and even won a single game in the CFP. So, under previous systems where there was still value to building a program that could make a high level bowl and those were considered achievements, players would go to a wider range of schools.. now when they only out any value on making the playoff- there are only about 6-8 schools even being considered by most of the top players. It has killed any hope of parity in CFB. Perhaps this free agency we are seeing develop will balance the scales a it as top flight talent gets bored riding the pine behind 3 other 5* guys ahead of them at Bama and cu, they may start looking around again for a spot where they can play earlier if they don’t need to sit for a year...

This is no different than the bcs, and pre bcs eras though. In the bcs, 6-8 teams had a legitimate shot too.

And with the new years six, we actually have more "high level bowls" to work towards then under the bcs. ( or is it just the same number? Either way, I dont think less.)

So none of this is really any different. If anything, the playoff allows for more teams to have a shot, rather than the annual one team picked to play against the SEC champ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT