ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody begged for a playoff and it ruined the sport!

"Oh but the biggest crime is the way they completely eliminated parity or even the POSSIBILITY that anyone new might emerge as a contender- and they have now allowed the power hosues to take ALL the power."

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. By Powerhouses I guess you mean the best teams? Shouldn't the championship go to the best team rather than some team who has a great record because they play in a weak league? And how has anyone been eliminated as a contender? It is simple - win all your games during the year and you get a shot. If you don't, then you may not deserve a shot. IE, the regular season DOES MATTER a lot. That was not always the case. Remember the undefeated Auburn team that was left out of the BCS in the early 2000s? The CFP may not be perfect, but it is head and shoulders better than the systems that preceded it.

"Oh but the biggest crime is the way they completely eliminated parity or even the POSSIBILITY that anyone new might emerge as a contender- and they have now allowed the power hosues to take ALL the power."

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. By Powerhouses I guess you mean the best teams? Shouldn't the championship go to the best team rather than some team who has a great record because they play in a weak league? And how has anyone been eliminated as a contender? It is simple - win all your games during the year and you get a shot. If you don't, then you may not deserve a shot. IE, the regular season DOES MATTER a lot. That was not always the case. Remember the undefeated Auburn team that was left out of the BCS in the early 2000s? The CFP may not be perfect, but it is head and shoulders better than the systems that preceded it.

Right. I don't want college football to resemble college basketball. The NCAAT is entertaining for what it is. It gives a bunch of teams who have no shot contending for the title a chance to do just that. I mean, we made the Final Four a few years back even though we were NOWHERE near one of the top 4 teams in the country. It was obviously entertaining and fun as a fan, but nobody thought we were among the 4 best. We just got hot at the right time. The last thing I want to see in CFB is a team like Cincinnati in the title game, just b/c they got hot at the right time or a team like Bama or Clemson having one off game after playing 13 games.

Why do people argue for Coastal and Cincinnati to make the playoffs, but bash other Power 5 champs (ACC, B1G) and ND for playing a cupcake schedule? If Coastal or Cincinnati played an SEC schedule, they would not be where they are. That's not to diminish their accomplishments, but c'mon.

Some of you sound like AOC or Bernie, wanting to spread the wealth when it comes to championships. Saban, Kelly, Swinney all inherited down programs. They built them into winners. (OK, Day was born on 3rd base in terms of getting the OSU program, but he has kept it up).

SOS proved you can build this program up and take it to the top level. But it took him a while, and he eventually ran out of gas. But it can be done.

8 team playoff. That lets the one loss legitimate teams and the undefeated Cinderellas have a chance as well to prove themselves. Think you've got the best team? Here's a real chance: go and win. The money and hype it'd create would greatly justify the extra game. I'd rather see an extra round of playoffs between legitimate teams than two 4-8 teams seeing who can shoot themselves in the foot harder...

Reactions: SCSalesReptile
Why are they only favored by 6 on a neutral field over UNC? ND was favored in Chapel Hill by 6 and won by 14. There really isn't any evidence to support your claim other than "cause SEC."

They are two very similar teams.. there's no point in pretending that one is vastly superior to the other.
i will bet you right now... I would take LSU over the second or third best team in ACC ANYDAY!!

Reactions: GamecockFan106
The playoffs didn't ruin football...but the selection committee and BCS rankings system has definitely hurt it significantly.
The one thing that is never addressed in ANY pre-BCS or playoff selection process is actual conference strength. Strength of schedule is massively skewed and should only be considered for non -conference games...and THEN it is still skewed. The harder your conference is due to so many quality or top 15 teams, and you play the games on the field....well someone has to lose. Then you get a Florida at 8-3 who is easily a top 4 team nationally sitting at home...and ND and OSU who would easily have 4 losses if playing UF's schedule playing in the "playoffs".

Being that the conferences are inequitable...and no conference is the same no matter what part of the spectrum your conference falls in, the only logical argument is to expand to 8 total teams. CFB will never do that because then you would have at least 4 SEC teams out of 8 every year and we all know what would happen. So, 8 teams will never happen. We're screwed.

Reactions: 3USC1801
Problem is, it is still subjective. Texas A&M is easily one of the best in the country this year, ND has ZERO reason to be in this thing, They beat the taters, and the taters were without their most important player, A&M would beat ND by 20 points!! Hell Fla is better than ND..
A&M would get blown out by Clemson or Bama. That’s enough reason to say that it really doesn’t matter if they get in since they can’t possibly be the best team in the country, and the purpose of the CFP is to determine who is the best. There can be arguments all day about #3 and 4, but it doesn’t matter. The CFP fulfilled it’s mission.

I'm hoping coastal and cincy wins their bowls. If for nothing else, cast some doubt on the system... because the talking heads will talk about it.

A&M would get blown out by Clemson or Bama. That’s enough reason to say that it really doesn’t matter if they get in since they can’t possibly be the best team in the country, and the purpose of the CFP is to determine who is the best. There can be arguments all day about #3 and 4, but it doesn’t matter. The CFP fulfilled it’s mission.
So too would the BCS have filled it’s mission then? What did we gain by having 4 teams in this year? We all know clemsun and Bama are the two best teams.

“Let more people in”
“It is the only fair way to do it”
“More teams will have a shot at success”

all the BS was wrong the CFB playoff has ruined the game. 90% of regular season games no longer matter and any bowl not part of the CFP are a complete waste of time. Oh but the biggest crime is the way they completely eliminated parity or even the POSSIBILITY that anyone new might emerge as a contender- and they have now allowed the power hosues to take ALL the power.

I am not saying the BCS was perfect but anything is better than this! Not here to be an “I told you so” kind of person but I have never been a fan of a playoff in CFB and we are at a point where you have to blow everything up and rebuild it to fix this mess now. (Which they will never do).
I don't consider this to be a playoff. I consider it to be a small extension to the BCS. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and 14 will be in the playoffs this year. There are over 130 teams that play FBS ball, and only 4 get into the "playoff." How does this seem legitimate to anyone?

Even if we wanted to limit playoff spots to schools in the overhyped "P5", that would be 65 schools. Why should only 4 get to be in a so-called playoff?

So too would the BCS have filled it’s mission then? What did we gain by having 4 teams in this year? We all know clemsun and Bama are the two best teams.
We would gain entertainment. Everyone complains “that the same teams are always in.” And I wouldn’t mind an 8 seed team beating a 1 seed team. After all, rankings are subjective—the field is not.

Reactions: DeBoer31
Imagine the disaster if you ended up with a Cincinnati/Iowa State title game. That would be a ratings catastrophe.

Imagine the disaster if you ended up with a Cincinnati/Iowa State title game. That would be a ratings catastrophe.
You’re neglecting the process. If a Cincinnati beat Alabama and Clemson, the legitimacy of the ranking would be underscored. Your argument supports the current and former selection system.

Under which system did the regular season UF LSU shoe toss game matter more? The current 4 team playoff or an 8 team playoff? Keep in mind Florida finished #7.
It... Did not matter in either. Pre- shoe toss, UF was not top 4 and would have needed an 8 game playoff, post shoe toss- same just ranked a spot lower. 🤷‍♂️ If they were going to bump a 1/2 loss SEC team to the 4 spot it would have been 5th ranked TAMU not 6/7th ranked UF.

Not necessarily. The BCS tried to pick the top two teams. But there were always people who thought they picked the wrong teams. That was the entire premise behind the CFP (making sure the top two teams played). The BCS used multiple variables to decide who the top two were and every year people complained that they chose incorrectly.. It would be highly unlikely that the top two weren’t included in a field of 4. What would expanding the field do other than add more games?

Reactions: DibbleDee
You have struck on the entirety of why this will not be fixed. TV ratings are all that matter to the people making these decisions. That is where the money cones from and they just push the teams who get the best ratings and promote the widest viewership into the playoff whenever possible. Big names like cu, Bama, OSU or big media markets like the Cali/ most of West Coast, Florida...

Reactions: The Gadfly
Not necessarily. The BCS tried to pick the top two teams. But there were always people who thought they picked the wrong teams. That was the entire premise behind the CFP (making sure the top two teams played). The BCS used multiple variables to decide who the top two were and every year people complained that they chose incorrectly.. It would be highly unlikely that the top two weren’t included in a field of 4. What would expanding the field do other than add more games?

Wow...nailed it. The goal was never to make it more entertaining or make more teams feel included.

The question is not "is A&M better than OSU or ND?" but rather "Is there anyone outside the top 4 who is better than Bama or Clemson?" The clear answer is "no."

You have struck on the entirety of why this will not be fixed. TV ratings are all that matter to the people making these decisions. That is where the money cones from and they just push the teams who get the best ratings and promote the widest viewership into the playoff whenever possible. Big names like cu, Bama, OSU or big media markets like the Cali/ most of West Coast, Florida...

See post #64 above. The goal is to try getting the 2 best teams in the title game, as it should be. The goal is not to make more teams feel included.

CU is only a "big name" because of what they've done on the field over the last 10 years, though. Before that most people didn't even know where Clemson is. Alabama isn't exactly a big media market, either. It's just that people there care way more about college football than most of the rest of the country.

Reactions: The Gadfly
See post #64 above. The goal is to try getting the 2 best teams in the title game, as it should be. The goal is not to make more teams feel included.
I’m not trying to be contrary but I think you overlook the process of selecting the two finalist. This year, you might have a case for just two who should be in the final game (Bama and Klem) . But that is not always the case, and even so, it’s all subjective. Why not expand?

Well at the moment, the second team is ND, 3rd is UNC and 4th Miami. Any of the 4 would trounce LSU..........and TN.
disagree. I've seen Miami and UNC attempt to play defense this year. H#ll UNC's best player (probably) on defense is a converted QB. While he is a smart and great athlete can could do well at many positions....that's absolute luck that UNC fell into that guy. Without him, they'd be worse than allowing 28 points per game.

For comparison....USC gave up 8 more points per game this year....and didn't play the ACC schedule. Also- ND...while better than they usually are don't belong near the top 6 teams in the country. They're a 10-15 team.

UNC and ND will get their chance vs. SEC teams in less than a month.
Oklahoma at 6th overall ranking will also get to play a lowly 3 loss SEC team.

Last edited:
Time to reduce the number of scholarships allowed. Reduce it to 64....still more than the NFL allows and quells the arms race a bit.
I don't think you can compare to the NFL. They have the ability to place players on injured reserve and bring in free agents or players from their practice squad to fill in. College teams don't have the ability to do that. Whatever they start with is all they have.

I don't think you can compare to the NFL. They have the ability to place players on injured reserve and bring in free agents or players from their practice squad to fill in. College teams don't have the ability to do that. Whatever they start with is all they have.
You are right...which is why I allowed for 10 additional players. Can make it 15 or 20 more, but it is hard to justify 85 players.....and it would allow for spreading around the talent a bit more.

I am not condoning a bigger playoff... I was against the move to a playoff originally as with such a fractured, disparate landscape across the nation and with such vast differences between conferences... I did not see a ramshackled attempt to slap 4 teams together at the end of the year as being any better than the BCS they risked all the things that came to fruition from it- the death of parity, the rich getting WAYYY richer, the disinterest in regular season and bowl games (as evidenced by opt outs, even before this year we saw it happen)...

The only way to make this better is to blow it all up and start over-
1. Fire the NCAA
2. Make a new “power 8” division of CFB
3. Power 8= power 5+ 3 other conferences (Sunbelt, MW and American IMO, or some amalgamation there of)
4- each conference has even number of teams between 12-16 with two separate divisions.

This allows for a bigger “playoff” without the subjective “picking” and without extending the regular season. Just like FCS, only conf champs get in (“what about Navy, or ND, they are indiependant”= eff em if they don’t want to participate, they don’t get considered for the playoffs)
Her is how it breaks down- regular season is the same length, conf championships happen on championship Saturday after the regular season ends as they do now, that get us down to 8 teams, they play around the time bowls usually start (around the end of this week usually), first round of the playoff starts around the same time and CG= same time.
This is indisputable criteria “well I thought __ was better than the conf champ”= tough! They should have won their division and their conf. If not... OH WELL...

It is no l than the normal time period really is- at worst you might push things back one week?

“no benefit for teams ranked higher”? You would play the second round at the home stadium of the highest ranked team in the matchup. 🤷‍♂️ Something like that..

“but the Sunbelt/whoever conference is not on par with the SEC/ACC!” 1st- aren’t they? Second.,, Over time this will lead to more broad equality across conferences as players realize they can go to COASTAL or UCF or Boise st... and still make the playoffs if they win their division! It will lead to a more fair split of TV money which will increase budgets and facilities for those schools abd this would require at least a little bit of conference realignment and shuffling to make it all work... So the would be a bit different than what we see today in the end result.

Any scenario of letting a committee or computer pick teams is in the end subjective Bs that is no better than BCS/pre-BCS. If a team gets hot late and makes their way into a playoff bc they won their conference, they deserve to be there. If Cincinnati wins their conference, they deserve to be there. If Coastal wins- they deserve to be there. This all works assuming covid is gne and conf championships are played, if not.., One off rules will need to be made.

There. I just fixed CFB, and did what I did not really want originally- expanded the playoffs! What I did not do is simply add more BS to the heaping, stinking pile of BS that already is the CFB playoff system.

I think this is the only way to do it, but we all know it will never be done! As Dan Patrick puts it- they are not putting the best teams in a playoffs now, the selection committee is designed to make the best TV show. So fair/equitable resolution is not and never has been the goal. But if you guys want the best solution this is it. The powers that be do NOT want that, so it will not happen. Ever.

I did not see a ramshackled attempt to slap 4 teams together at the end of the year as being any better than the BCS they risked all the things that came to fruition from it- the death of parity, the rich getting WAYYY richer, the disinterest in regular season and bowl games (as evidenced by opt outs, even before this year we saw it happen)...

It's better for the third and fourth place teams who now have a chance, and all the teams with a shot at those spots.

And letting more people have a chance (playoffs) helps parity, not the other way.

The rich were always getting richer.

And disinterest in lower bowl games has always been a thing.

Regular season games being less meaningful is debatable at best.

Reactions: ddw1263
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT