ADVERTISEMENT

Expand the Court?

Ward Jr

Nov 7, 2021
Cockshut Lane
NBA players continue to make 40-50 footers look more effortless each year and %'s are rising.

DL with a smooth delivery from beyond half court:

It still amazes me that even the average person can throw a ball through a hoop floating ten feet in the air. Its a strange skill that we as humans have acquired.

But there really is no limit to guys’ ranges these days. Pretty soon taking a three close to the line is going to be considered a mid-range jumper.

It still amazes me that even the average person can throw a ball through a hoop floating ten feet in the air. Its a strange skill that we as humans have acquired.

But there really is no limit to guys’ ranges these days. Pretty soon taking a three close to the line is going to be considered a mid-range jumper.

I still can't figure out how they generate that level of torque regardless of their size. And then to keep it smooth and in control? Spring-loaded.

I still can't figure out how they generate that level of torque regardless of their size. And then to keep it smooth and in control? Spring-loaded.
The younger kids have been taught to use a base of two feet. It allows them to get more legs into their shot and extend the range. In the 80's, we did sort of a 1-2 step into the shot and deep shooting range was considered 20 feet. However, Lillard's ability to quickly spring off of two feet into a logo 3 is rare and only a few NBA guys are capable of it. The All-Star Game was still terrible though and those guys should be ashamed of themselves for the effort they put forth. If they don't want to play the game, just scrap it. ....and I say this being as hard-core NBA fan as can be. I went to bed in the second quarter as I was tired of seeing a lay-up line or someone firing up an uncontested 3 point shot.

The younger kids have been taught to use a base of two feet. It allows them to get more legs into their shot and extend the range. In the 80's, we did sort of a 1-2 step into the shot and deep shooting range was considered 20 feet. However, Lillard's ability to quickly spring off of two feet into a logo 3 is rare and only a few NBA guys are capable of it. The All-Star Game was still terrible though and those guys should be ashamed of themselves for the effort they put forth. If they don't want to play the game, just scrap it. ....and I say this being as hard-core NBA fan as can be. I went to bed in the second quarter as I was tired of seeing a lay-up line or someone firing up an uncontested 3 point shot.

The NBA should do what the NFL did and not play a traditional game. Put them on a blacktop, or let them play 3-on-3. A twist could get the players back into it.

And they should have a real long-distance shootout. Each team gets 2 minutes to see how many half court shots they can make.

Otherwise, they should scrap it. The players don’t care. The novelty value for fans is also pretty much lost (again, because they see all these players all the time - all star games used to be a time for fans to see players from parts of the country they would only see in a box score).

Put a single basket at midcourt, elevated it to 12 ft, no backboard. I might try watching NBA again if they'd try something like that. Or, handicap them, like horses. For every inch over 6'6", you have to wear 5 lbs of lead weights in your shoes.

Next round is on you! LOL!!!

Or, handicap them, like horses. For every inch over 6'6", you have to wear 5 lbs of lead weights in your shoes.
Any player under 6' gets spring shoes.
adidas-springblade-drive-81.jpg

Yeah it’s turning into the Pro Bowl. At least the NBA has a dunk contest and 3 point shootout, but even that is becoming watered down. Maybe I’m looking back at this with nostalgia, but I didn’t think the All Star Games of the 1980s and 1990s would have just let guys mess around like that.

Yeah it’s turning into the Pro Bowl. At least the NBA has a dunk contest and 3 point shootout, but even that is becoming watered down. Maybe I’m looking back at this with nostalgia, but I didn’t think the All Star Games of the 1980s and 1990s would have just let guys mess around like that.

I don’t think it’s nostalgia, they definitely don’t play as hard today in the game. Of course the big issue right now players sitting out games during the season to stay healthy for the playoffs (and hopefully their careers). You really think you can get these guys to really play in a mid-season exhibition? No way! It’s a practice session for them now - and not a very lively one at that.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Actually, the 3 Point Contest and Dunk Contest were pretty good this year. Mac McClung has only recently been signed as a Two-Way player and has not played a minute this season. However, he was great in the Dunk contest. It is worth it to go back and watch that. Damien Lilliard won the 3 point contest on his last shot over Buddy Hield. So, those things pretty much saved the weekend. The game is usually stale, but this year was especially bad. You would like to believe that there were legitimate scores on the best players in the world. However, I think I could I have gotten 15-20 points in that game given the ole defense everyone was playing.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
He had a little tailwind but that was a very clean stroke on the reply. As adcoop touched on, the training focus has shifted in terms of form over the past decade. I see junior high kids now hit the 35-38 footer effortlessly. The trees of the NBA can hit these shots too, but not with the same accuracy on average. It makes you wonder what the game will look like in another 5-10 years with all of these long-range guys moving through the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT