ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Frank Martin...

Yea this is terrible. Hard to watch! Lawson just keeps shooting....never making anything. Silva looks like he would rather be anywhere this year other than playing basketball. The team is just not good....not even close. Sorry Frank time to go! Anybody wanna buy some season tickets...lower level.

He’s clearly lost this team and more yelling isn’t going to work this year. And Silva cam back to play like this—lackadaisical at best. Take a good look at ole Frank cause this is the final year. The dismal conference record we’re about to suffer through will seal it for him. No matter what Ray thinks, the facts will leave him no choice this time.

I'm not a big fire the coach guy. But this is a dumpster fire. This crowd knows nothing about the game. Silva and Kotsar have both regressed.

Reactions: Cockish and 803blf
He’s clearly lost this team and more yelling isn’t going to work this year. And Silva cam back to play like this—lackadaisical at best. Take a good look at ole Frank cause this is the final year. The dismal conference record we’re about to suffer through will seal it for him. No matter what Ray thinks, the facts will leave him no choice this time.
Actually wish he would yell a little bit, he rarely even stands up anymore.

Ok. So who do we take a chance on? Who's gonna right this ship? It's gonna be another 0-11 season next year. Who's gonna take the chance? Really wish Bruce Pearl was available.

It’s simply unfathomable how bad this team is playing two seasons after a Final Four. Quite frankly it’s the worst coaching job I can recall from a USC MBB coach, and yes that includes the Horntanic years.

It looks and feels like Frank has lost this team. We are staring down the barrel of a losing non-conference record and no more than 9-12 total wins (and reaching 11 or 12 seems very optimistic at the point).

Assuming Frank is still here going into next year, this is all setting up for a tourney-or-bust 2019-2020 season. And quite frankly, while there’s some promising young talent on this team, I don’t see a leap to a tourney squad in the span of one year (especially given the usual offseason attrition).

Reactions: gamecockblack
I don’t think Frank Martin is a bad coach. I think he is a pretty good coach, but his coaching style is just something that is not going to attract big-time recruits. His yell-first style is just not for the current or future generation of recruits, unfortunately.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
I'm not sure what happened and hope we can somehow turn things around. We make the final four and regress while the rest of the SEC gets better. The last 2 seasons have been strange to say the least.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lets remember what the final 4 season really was. We limped into the postseason and got hot at the right time. It was not a good season until we made the tourney and caught lightning in a bottle.

And Frank's style of degrading and cussing out players does not resonate with kids these days. He has lost the locker room

I don’t think Frank Martin is a bad coach. I think he is a pretty good coach, but his coaching style is just something that is not going to attract big-time recruits. His yell-first style is just not for the current or future generation of recruits, unfortunately.
I agree. Everyone talks about how his players like him but there are not many players that are attracted to his style of coaching and would want to come here. The players seem to play out of fear of making a mistake rather than just enjoying the game. They screw up and he immediately pulls them out. Sometimes, I think he would rather prove a point with a player than win a game. The yelling and berating of players is becoming embarrassing when it appears he has not developed a plan for this team to score offensively. I hope this ship shows some sign of turning but it hard to turn a ship when taking on water.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I think this is spot on.

Reactions: wood90
It’s simply unfathomable how bad this team is playing two seasons after a Final Four. Quite frankly it’s the worst coaching job I can recall from a USC MBB coach, and yes that includes the Horntanic years.

It looks and feels like Frank has lost this team. We are staring down the barrel of a losing non-conference record and no more than 9-12 total wins (and reaching 11 or 12 seems very optimistic at the point).

Assuming Frank is still here going into next year, this is all setting up for a tourney-or-bust 2019-2020 season. And quite frankly, while there’s some promising young talent on this team, I don’t see a leap to a tourney squad in the span of one year (especially given the usual offseason attrition).
I really don't see any possible way that you can get rid of Frank Martin. Ray Tanner gives contract extensions and raises out like candy. I'm sure it would cost a fortune to buy out his contract.

I was never a fan of the hiring of FM, but I was willing to give him a chance to prove himself.
The final 4 run was, as one described earlier "catching lighting in a bottle" type of situation.
I'll give him credit for the 2 year run (2016-2017) but the regression since is now becoming more and more difficult to explain away.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
IMO, he wants out.

Settle out the nice contract extension he received from the Final Four miracle head to TV before he's too far removed from the success he's had.

I'm guessing he wants out.

Settle out the nice contract extension he received from the Final Four miracle and head to TV before he's too far removed from the success he's had.

IMO, he wants out.

Settle out the nice contract extension he received from the Final Four miracle head to TV before he's too far removed from the success he's had.
I hadn't considered that. When Eddie Fogler reached the end of his career, he could not have cared less and it looked a lot like Frank this season.

Reactions: RevCock
I hadn't considered that. When Eddie Fogler reached the end of his career, he could not have cared less and it looked a lot like Frank this season.
Yep - it's unfortunate for us. He's had guest analyst gigs with both CBS & ESPN and seems to have a good rapport with both networks/teams.

Reactions: RevCock
I just don't get it...why is it that this is just a bad shooting team? I mean shooting 33% while giving up 50% three pointers is a bad recipe for losing. scratching my head...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT