ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks win total in 24

I don't need a chance. I post it if I think it.
Well that's good to know. I really. really appreciate that. I get the feeling sometimes that a few people (not you) on this site, who I think are strong Beamer supporters, think I'm not because I predict a no worse than 7-5 record for us . I think they believe I'm predicting a record that he can't achieve in order to say , "Ha ha, get rid of that incompetent Head Coach Beamer". Well, that's false. I have often said he has earned to go into a 5th season (unless he implodes in season 4). I gave the reason why I think we will do better than most think (his success with the Transfer Portal this year). I have both a Bachelors and Masters degree from USC. I am anything BUT anti-Beamer. I have made the comment that he is entering his 4th season, with most of the players being HIS recruits. One or two in particular seem incensed that I mention that. SERIOUSLY? I mention that a couple of SEC coaches, in their 4th seasons last year, led their teams to Top 10 finishes. One person in particular seems incensed that I mention that, even though I say I do not expect a Top 10 team in Beamer's 4th season. Instead, I expect just a 7-5 team. To me, that's not unreasonable since his 2nd team went 8-4. I mentioned I was in Oxford, Mississippi the weekend after July 4 and that I was VERY UNIMPRESSED with that place and, thus, my respect for Lane Kiffin rose tremendously. But some here were upset that I said that. REALLY???? Just crazy. I just call them how I see them. One of my favorite all-time USC Head Coaches was Jim Carlen, whose first year was my last year in graduate school at USC. I liked him because he was honest towards the football program, abrasive, but honest about the program and opponents. Steve Spurrier was just like that too but, without the abrasiveness. He was also among my favorite USC Head Coaches because he spoke his mind.. Anyway, again, I appreciate what you said.

Last edited:
I was fine with the Beamer hire. I wasn't overly excited but it didn't bother me. I wouldn't have been overly excited about anyone.

It made good sense to me that he was hired. He was a very popular former assistant coach, that was in charge of recruiting under Steve Spurrier. That means he ran the entire operation because Spurrier wasn't remotely interested in it.

I was always impressed by him because I remember other coaches talking about him being very tough to recruit against and even Spurrier mentioning that Shane was incredible in his organization and knew everything about every recruit, every high school, every family, etc. Spurrier wasn't too quick to give out kudos, especially to assistant coaches. But he did that with Shane. That, to me, meant Shane really impressed him more so than most.

Then, Steve screwed up. Steve thought that maybe his own son needed a boost and that he could do the job too. Then Shane took off (maybe because he sensed he wasn't as valued as he should have been given Steve suddenly wanted his son to be elevated to doing the job to help his job prospects in the future.). But Steve wasn't good at organization. He wasn't good at recruiting. He didn't know all the things Shane did and he just wasn't as good as Shane.

Now, being a really good recruiting coordinator doesn't mean you are a good head coach. But, being a really good offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator doesn't mean you are a good head coach either. Heck, being a really good head coach somewhere else doesn't mean you will be one at South Carolina. Winning a national title as a head coach at another school doesn't mean you will be a good head coach at South Carolina. We've tried that too.

But given recruiting is the lifeblood of the program and we took major steps back as soon as Shane left, and given that Shane really wanted to be at South Carolina (a real rarity amongst head coaches), I thought it made good sense to hire him given the alternatives.

I don't worship coaches. If I think one stinks, I'll say it. If I think one is pretty good, I'll say that. I also don't think there is a magic hire out there that will suddenly make things right. I've been around Gamecock sports since the mid to late 1970s. I've seen some coaches.

I think Shane deserves more time. He will get more time. I haven't seen anything that he has done that I thought someone else would have done better. From the things I have learned from people behind the scenes, I know the program foundation is dang solid. Shane has a lot of very good things in place for the team and program. Things that don't necessarily mean wins, but without them in place absolutely means we won't win.

It would be asinine to have fired him after last year. There isn't an AD out there, had they been at South Carolina, that would have fired Shane Beamer. I also realize this message board with 10-15 posters isn't the Gamecock fan base. Shane is very popular with the fanbase.

I am not an unrealistic fan in a dream world. The SEC is as close to the NFL as we get in college and a lot of teams are a lot better than we are, have more resources, and have a much better history.

That's why I will be satisfied this year, if we make a bowl game. Ray Tanner will be satisfied and so will most of the people that are actually in charge. If others here on this board aren't satisfied, I don't care.

There is a reason we have people in charge at South Carolina and people on this board posting aren't in charge of anything.

Last edited:
I was fine with the Beamer hire. I wasn't overly excited but it didn't bother me. I wouldn't have been overly excited about anyone.

It made good sense to me that he was hired. He was a very popular former assistant coach, that was in charge of recruiting under Steve Spurrier. That means he ran the entire operation because Spurrier wasn't remotely interested in it.

I was always impressed by him because I remember other coaches talking about him being very tough to recruit against and even Spurrier mentioning that Shane was incredible in his organization and knew everything about every recruit, every high school, every family, etc. Spurrier wasn't too quick to give out kudos, especially to assistant coaches. But he did that with Shane. That, to me, meant Shane really impressed him more so than most.

Then, Steve screwed up. Steve thought that maybe his own son needed a boost and that he could do the job too. Then Shane took off (maybe because he sensed he wasn't as valued as he should have been given Steve suddenly wanted his son to be elevated to doing the job to help his job prospects in the future.). But Steve wasn't good at organization. He wasn't good at recruiting. He didn't know all the things Shane did and he just wasn't as good as Shane.

Now, being a really good recruiting coordinator doesn't mean you are a good head coach. But, being a really good offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator doesn't mean you are a good head coach either. Heck, being a really good head coach somewhere else doesn't mean you will be one at South Carolina. Winning a national title as a head coach at another school doesn't mean you will be a good head coach at South Carolina. We've tried that too.

But given recruiting is the lifeblood of the program and we took major steps back as soon as Shane left, and given that Shane really wanted to be at South Carolina (a real rarity amongst head coaches), I thought it made good sense to hire him given the alternatives.

I don't worship coaches. If I think one stinks, I'll say it. If I think one is pretty good, I'll say that. I also don't think there is a magic hire at there that will suddenly make things right. I've been around Gamecock sports since the mid to late 1970s. I've seen some coaches.

I think Shane deserves more time. He will get more time. I haven't seen anything that he has done that I thought someone else would have done better. From the things I have learned from people behind the scenes, I know the program foundation is dang solid. Shane has a lot of very good things in place for the team and program. Things that don't necessarily mean wins, but without them in place absolutely means we won't win.

It would be asinine to have fired him after last year. There isn't an AD out there, had they been at South Carolina, that would have fired Shane Beamer.

I am not an unrealistic fan in a dream world. The SEC is as close to the NFL as we get in college and a lot of teams are a lot better than we are, have more resources, and have a much better history.

That's why I will be satisfied this year, if we make a bowl game. Ray Tanner will be satisfied and so will most of the people that are actually in charge. If others here on this board aren't satisfied, I don't care.

There is a reason we have people in charge at South Carolina and people on this board posting aren't in charge of anything.
"I've been around Gamecock sports since the mid to late 1970s."
Good to know we are kind of close to the same age.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I remember hearing Garry Harper speak at a church in the Greenville area when I was a kid.

He turned some Clemson fans into Gamecocks that night.

I remember hearing Garry Harper speak at a church in the Greenville area when I was a kid.

He turned some Clemson fans into Gamecocks that night.
One thing I will add. I have and will criticize Beamer at times. Some people here don't like that. But the man makes $6 million/year. It comes with the territory as far as I am concerned. Like I said, I speak my mind.

One of my best friends from college heard Garry Harper speak and was impressed, as I recall.. My friend was a good Christian person. Unfortunately, he died from pancreatic cancer last year on the day we played Clemson. I still think about him at times now some 8 months later.

One thing I will add. I have and will criticize Beamer at times. Some people here don't like that. But the man makes $6 million/year. It comes with the territory as far as I am concerned. Like I said, I speak my mind.

One of my best friends from college heard Garry Harper speak and was impressed, as I recall.. My friend was a good Christian person. Unfortunately, he died from pancreatic cancer last year on the day we played Clemson. I still think about him at times now some 8 months later.

That's about as awful as it gets.

It would be asinine to have fired him after last year. There isn't an AD out there, had they been at South Carolina, that would have fired Shane Beamer. I also realize this message board with 10-15 posters isn't the Gamecock fan base. Shane is very popular with the fanbase.
The problem is there isn’t a single SEC AD that would have hired Beamer outside of Tanner. It would have been an incredible decision to fire Beamer after last year and move on. By not firing him, we are just wasting another season and making the rebuild for the next coach even longer.

This is quite the non sequitur. Had I been in charge of the AD and hired Jamey Chadwell, we would be much better off as a program than we are right now.

This is quite the non sequitur. Had I been in charge of the AD and hired Jamey Chadwell, we would be much better off as a program than we are right now.

You wouldn't be put in charge of the clean-up crew at Burger King (and that's being generous)
You wouldn't do anything, and certainly wouldn't hire anyone.

yeah, we've never hired a small conference coach who was really impressive on that level and tried him out at South Carolina....... LOL

I'll leave it here: You aren't hiring anyone at USC. You'll never be hiring anyone at USC. You aren't in charge of anything related to USC. That's a good thing for everyone.

So talking about what "you would have done" is fun for Al Bundy, it's pathetic here. You whine worse than a 4 day old puppy.

Reactions: Robhawk29
I'm mentally prepared for a great season. Maybe even make the 12 team CFP.
I heard all this same nonsense about the Basketball team before last season. Lamont had brought in a few transfers, but no one expected us to win more than maybe 10 games. How did those transfers, and one really good recruit, CMB, turn out?
Beamer has brought in a bunch from the Portal and some really decent recruits.
It will be fun to laugh at a bunch of you on here and tell you to go troll some other team.

I'm mentally prepared for a great season. Maybe even make the 12 team CFP.
I heard all this same nonsense about the Basketball team before last season. Lamont had brought in a few transfers, but no one expected us to win more than maybe 10 games. How did those transfers, and one really good recruit, CMB, turn out?
Beamer has brought in a bunch from the Portal and some really decent recruits.
It will be fun to laugh at a bunch of you on here and tell you to go troll some other team.

This is the type of July optimism this board has been missing.

How many wins do you think we'll get this year?

Reactions: uscwatson21
I am confident we will have 7 wins but would not be surprised to see 9 wins. After they beat UK and upset LSU and Ole Miss, and we are 5-0, there is no telling what this team might be able to do.
No, we do not have the advertised talent like some of these teams, but I just feel we will be a wake-up call for a lot of folks.
Like Spurrier once said, stars do not matter. Dylan Thompson was a 2-star that only had one offer from Newberry. Spurrier wanted him though. How did that turn out? 5,400 yards passing, 40 touchdowns and a 140.9 QB rating.
I just feel Beamer has put together a special group this season. And I just really like everything I have seen from Sellers.

I am confident we will have 7 wins but would not be surprised to see 9 wins. After they beat UK and upset LSU and Ole Miss, and we are 5-0, there is no telling what this team might be able to do.
No, we do not have the advertised talent like some of these teams, but I just feel we will be a wake-up call for a lot of folks.
Like Spurrier once said, stars do not matter. Dylan Thompson was a 2-star that only had one offer from Newberry. Spurrier wanted him though. How did that turn out? 5,400 yards passing, 40 touchdowns and a 140.9 QB rating.
I just feel Beamer has put together a special group this season. And I just really like everything I have seen from Sellers.

That is a very interesting take. But it's July, and expected.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Reactions: uscwatson21
That is a very interesting take. But it's July, and expected.

Can't wait for the season to start.
I was really floored last year. Did not expect what happened. It got ugly at times.
I understand injuries, but we had way too many of them. I really felt we needed a new S&C staff, but we will see. This year we have way more OL players; so, we will be able to sub a lot more and maybe keep them healthy. instead of 1 maybe 2 per position, we have 3 deep this season.
I also changed my season ticket seats. Nicer seat this time. Hoping it will be even more worth it.

Good Lord.

We haven't seen anything from Sellers when it counted. Let's see how he does when it matters.

I guess it's that time to see some interesting predictions.

I was really floored last year. Did not expect what happened. It got ugly at times.
I understand injuries, but we had way too many of them. I really felt we needed a new S&C staff, but we will see. This year we have way more OL players; so, we will be able to sub a lot more and maybe keep them healthy. instead of 1 maybe 2 per position, we have 3 deep this season.
I also changed my season ticket seats. Nicer seat this time. Hoping it will be even more worth it.

Will you be sitting with the other BOTs?

Reactions: jonesz21
Stars don’t matter lol. If the majority of what you get is 2 stars odds say that will be the majority of your talent. If stars don’t matter stop using NIL as an excuse why we can’t compete

Actually, it was 8-5. Nothing wrong with stating the facts correctly.
Winning 7 games in Year 4 of his program is not an unreasonable expectation in light of the fact that he won 8 games in Year 2 of his program, in a 12 game schedule. That was my point. You disagree with my point of that not being an unreasonable expectation in light of what he produced in Year 2? I know you are no fan of Beamer. So, I'd sincerely like to know if you think that is an unreasonable expectation NOT whether he will win 7 games this season.

Last edited:
Actually, it was 8-5. Nothing wrong with stating the facts correctly.
In case you missed my question, interested in knowing whether you think 7 wins this season is an UNREASONABLE expectation in Year 4 of the program in light of the fact that we won 8 games in Year 2, NOT whether you think he will win 7 games. Remember that in Year 2, we beat teams (Texas A&M, Tennessee and Clemson) who had well-out recruited us over the years, with 2 of them being Top 10 teams when we beat them. People cite the difficulty of the schedule. But, in the SEC, rarely will we have an easy schedule. We won't be able to avoid Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Florida and Auburn forever.

Last edited:
In case you missed my question, interested in knowing whether you think 7 wins this season is an UNREASONABLE expectation in Year 4 of the program in light of the fact that we won 8 games in Year 2, NOT whether you think he will win 7 games. Remember that in Year 2, we beat teams (Texas A&M, Tennessee and Clemson) who had well-out recruited us over the years, with 2 of them being Top 10 teams when we beat them. People cite the difficulty of the schedule. But, in the SEC, rarely will we have an easy schedule. We won't be able to avoid Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Florida and Auburn forever.

What does Year 2 have to do with this year in terms of player personnel? Most everyone is gone from Year 2. We have a brand new offense and a brand new QB -- not a hot dog junior transfer from OU.

Also, this is the most difficult schedule we have ever played by a considerable margin. 4 in the Top 10. 7 in the Top 20.

What does Year 2 have to do with this year in terms of player personnel? Most everyone is gone from Year 2. We have a brand new offense and a brand new QB -- not a hot dog junior transfer from OU.

Also, this is the most difficult schedule we have ever played by a considerable margin. 4 in the Top 10. 7 in the Top 20.
You are right. Different personnel. That being said, we should be making progress from Year 2. That's just common sense to expect. We should be bringing in better player personnel. We certainly have made changes in our coaching staff. Thus we should have better coaches than we did in 2022. Beamer showed in 2022, with an inferior coaching staff compared to what he has today, he is capable of beating teams that have better personnel. We were outmanned talent-wise in 2022 by at least 3 teams that we beat, two of them were Top 10 teams when we beat them. Am I saying finish in the Top 10 in the nation? NO!!!!! But with better coaches and better overall player personnel, we should do fine this season. Not sure why there should be hand-wringing. We are in the big boy league. The schedule will always be tough. If we want to be a big boy, we have to beat the big boys. Beamer has slowly but surely improved the program, in the booths, the sideline and playing field since Year 2. Certainly that has been what he was hired to do.

Last edited:
You are right. Different personnel. That being said, we should be making progress from Year 2. That's just common sense to expect. We should be bringing in better player personnel. We certainly have made changes in our coaching staff. Thus we should have better coaches than we did in 2022. Beamer showed in 2022, with an inferior coaching staff compared to what he has today, he is capable of beating teams that have better personnel. We were outmanned talent-wise in 2022 by at least 3 teams that we beat, two of them were Top 10 teams when we beat them. Am I saying finish in the Top 10 in the nation? NO!!!!! But with better coaches and better overall player personnel, we should do fine this season.

Why do you believe we have better personal when our best players are walking out the door at the end of each season?

We're not accruing our best talent anymore over a 4-year period. Having a seasoned team is over until something changes.

Why do you believe we have better personal when our best players are walking out the door at the end of each season?

We're not accruing our best talent anymore over a 4-year period. Having a seasoned team is over until something changes.
We are also bringing in better talent. Our Transfer Portal ranking was number 10 in the nation this past year.

We are also bringing in better talent. Our Transfer Portal ranking was number 10 in the nation this past year.

We've been through this though. You don't want to be a team handing off your best players to pull in randoms who aren't growing in the system. It's a recipe for disaster actually.

We've been through this though. You don't want to be a team handing off your best players to pull in randoms who aren't growing in the system. It's a recipe for disaster actually.
No program is immune. Some are better to adapting to the Transfer Portal than others. To Beamer's credit, he is one of the best at that, compared to other coaches.

No program is immune. Some are better to adapting to the Transfer Portal than others. To Beamer's credit, he is one of the best at that, compared to other coaches.

That's not true. Please show me any team outside of the bottom 4 in the SEC who has watched their best players walk at season's end the last two years? Good players head to the teams who can pay them.

This was predicted as soon as the NIL was announced too. We're primarily a staging team for talent.

In addition to my comment just above, I point out to you that the Transfer Portal Class we brought in two years ago, was also a Top 10 class. We turned that into a 8-5 season and a national ranking of 23rd in the nation

That's not true. Please show me any team outside of the bottom 4 in the SEC who has watched their best players walk at season's end the last two years? Good players head to the teams who can pay them.

This was predicted as soon as the NIL was announced too. We're primarily a staging team for talent.
Again, we are doing well in the Transfer Portal system. That is proven by the numbers.

In addition to my comment just above, I point out to you that the Transfer Portal Class we brought in two years ago, was also a Top 10 class. We turned that into a 8-5 season and a national ranking of 23rd in the nation

Players started walking at the end of 2022. That's a big reason why our success didn't carry over to 2023.

And again I will point out to you that we have upgraded our coaching staff in the past 2 years.

Again, we are doing well in the Transfer Portal system. That is proven by the numbers.

REPRINT: We've been through this though. You don't want to be a team handing off your best players to pull in randoms who aren't growing in the system. It's a recipe for disaster actually.

Players started walking at the end of 2022. That's a big reason why our success didn't carry over to 2023.
We did a poor job in Year 2 of the Transfer Portal system. But we did excellent jobs in Years 1 and 3. You know what followed after Years 1 and 2 on the field. A coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.

REPRINT: We've been through this though. You don't want to be a team handing off your best players to pull in randoms who aren't growing in the system. It's a recipe for disaster actually.
And I have to keep repeating myself to you. Check out what happened after a good Year 1 in the Transfer Portal system and a not so good Year 2, on the field. Year 3 was a good year in the Transfer Portal for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT