ADVERTISEMENT

How I learned to stop worrying and love the expanded CFB Playoff

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
It was because Jay Phillips told me to “look ya’ll” enough times that I just caved! 😃
JK

Seriously- the thing I like about potentially expanding the playoffs is that it gives us the ability to potentially eliminate some of the subjectivity around selection if we make some/most of the top slots automatic for conference champions of the major conferences. I’d prefer even 6 major conferences- 2 divisions each with the conf championships being the first round and a 6 team playoff of the champions from there, but that would be too sensible, organized and reasonable to expect for CFB. If we can have some automatic conference championship slots and a few buy ins for “other” good teams who did not win their conf championship- I could see that working out well without diminishing the importance of the regular season. We SHOULD also go back to 11 game seasons if they are going to expand the field to 12 teams, and eliminate FCS games IMO to limit the potential increase of games a team making the playoffs might have to play but that is tertiary.

In fact, under the current scenario- Conference championships could still be the automatic bids form the power 5 with 2 “group of five” bids- IOW: 10 teams make the playoffs from P5- the division champs from two divisions of each conference (“well __ conference does not want to do a CG or align that way and Notre Dame wants to be independent”- TOUGH, I guess ND will never be in it then! The conferences will jump on board if they are made to)- the conference championship games are the first round and after that round, the conf champs go on to the 12 team playoff with the committee only having to chose 2 “at large” from the group of 5 teams. That is a clean system applicable to the current set up with minimum forced change and it eliminates the vast majority of subjectivity form the selection process.

The only problem I have with playoff expansion is that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Well… I see your point and would tend to agree to some aspects of it, as oersonally I do not believe any team beyond the too 4-6 range in my lifetime has been deserving of or good enough to win a national championship! BUT- there is a problem that needs to be addressed and that is the subjectivity of the selection process. The reason the NFL’s playoff is fair and people don’t spend all off season crying about who got jobbed out of a spot is that it is directly quantifiable to achievements on the field. Nobody outside of the state of Ohio and apparently the MORONS on the committee that make these selections believed OSU deserved to be in last year but because they are a CFB “blue blood” they got the benefit of the doubt. THAT is a problem and until we have a designated quantifiable system for selecting the participants, it always will be a problem and asshats like UCF will get to throw parades and celebrate fake championships!

There is no problem. Every year the best team has been crowned champion. For decades there was just the polls and people complained. And then there was the BCS and people complained and now there is the top 4 team playoff and people complained. And if we go to 8 or 12 teams people (the media) will complain. For the sake of argument what if Alabama or clemson goes 9-3 . 1 year and they get in as a 12th seed. It's getting ridiculous. Eventually they will have teams playing 20 games a year.

Reactions: hillstosea
There is no problem. Every year the best team has been crowned champion. For decades there was just the polls and people complained. And then there was the BCS and people complained and now there is the top 4 team playoff and people complained. And if we go to 8 or 12 teams people (the media) will complain. For the sake of argument what if Alabama or clemson goes 9-3 . 1 year and they get in as a 12th seed. It's getting ridiculous. Eventually they will have teams playing 20 games a year.
You're aware of what the smaller divisions do, correct? Why can those student athletes manage and D1 can't?

Coincidentally this article just came out yesterday, strong consideration and thought is being given to expanding the playoffs to 12 teams. Now before anyone begins to howl at 12 teams, read the article for an explanation as to why this format is being given strong consideration. There are some very valid points.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-plan-043900023.html

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I adamantly disagree with any format that gives certain seeds a bye. I believe that is too much of an advantage in college football.

Reactions: atl-cock
To convince me that expansion is worthwhile you have to show that there is a year in which the CFP final game was not a matchup of the 2 best teams in college football. As long as that's happening, who cares how you get there?

Where did this sense of entitlement come that the G5 schools need a seat at the table? No G5 school has ever been a legit CFP title contender. Not particularly close either.

I adamantly disagree with any format that gives certain seeds a bye. I believe that is too much of an advantage in college football.
I'm with you. It is not inconceivable that one year a 8-4 division winner pulls off the upset of either a undefeated or 1 loss division winner in a P5 Conference Title Game.

what are the negatives about expanding the playoff? Is Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State every year fun for you?

what are the negatives about expanding the playoff? Is Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State every year fun for you?
This is the issue with the playoffs. The top players are flocking to these 4 programs. I was never a fan of more than 4 until the past few years and realizing it’s going to be 3 of these 4 just about every year with someone else in the mix. Spreading the field to 8 will at least make it more attractive for recruits to choose another school.

With the current setup, the top 4 school in America basically get the top recruits because of the advantages they have in being in the playoff each season. Of course that’s not the only reason they get the players, but it’s a huge advantage.

In the NFL, the winner of the Super Bowl gets the last draft pick. This is set up where the winner gets the “first pick”. It doesn’t have to be fair, but the current setup is certainly benefitting 4 universities far more than anyone else in the country. 8 or 12 would at least spread some of the talent out and give up and coming teams a better chance to create some momentum for themselves with a big upset win in the playoffs.

I revel in it. At this level, the playoffs ought to exclude everything but excellence. Why incorporate more of what isn't excellent? Besides, it won't always be those same teams. Hasn't Florida State been in the playoffs? Oklahoma? Oregon?

Coincidentally this article just came out yesterday, strong consideration and thought is being given to expanding the playoffs to 12 teams. Now before anyone begins to howl at 12 teams, read the article for an explanation as to why this format is being given strong consideration. There are some very valid points.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-plan-043900023.html
Sorry, I thought it was clear this was why I brought it up! I absolutely should have linked one of the articles about this… My B! 😂

This is the issue with the playoffs. The top players are flocking to these 4 programs. I was never a fan of more than 4 until the past few years and realizing it’s going to be 3 of these 4 just about every year with someone else in the mix. Spreading the field to 8 will at least make it more attractive for recruits to choose another school.

With the current setup, the top 4 school in America basically get the top recruits because of the advantages they have in being in the playoff each season. Of course that’s not the only reason they get the players, but it’s a huge advantage.

In the NFL, the winner of the Super Bowl gets the last draft pick. This is set up where the winner gets the “first pick”. It doesn’t have to be fair, but the current setup is certainly benefitting 4 universities far more than anyone else in the country. 8 or 12 would at least spread some of the talent out and give up and coming teams a better chance to create some momentum for themselves with a big upset win in the playoffs.

100%. The Network Effect.

I revel in it. At this level, the playoffs ought to exclude everything but excellence. Why incorporate more of what isn't excellent? Besides, it won't always be those same teams. Hasn't Florida State been in the playoffs? Oklahoma? Oregon?

Absolutely revel in it too. Seeing those teams go head to head is like seeing a totally sport from whatever it is we’ve been playing. It’s an entirely different level. What’s the draw of watering down the playoffs with just pretty good teams?

so the teams can’t be beat on the field so we have to rig a system to try making them fail. That’s sporting.

Absolutely revel in it too. Seeing those teams go head to head is like seeing a totally sport from whatever it is we’ve been playing. It’s an entirely different level. What’s the draw of watering down the playoffs with just pretty good teams?
None whatsoever. If people want to shake something up, then eliminate games against FCS opponents, add conference games, eliminate divisional play and select teams for conference championship games by a points system that works the same in every league. That makes every game urgent and many games more become interesting while directly impacting the CFP. Do the above and essentially you get a season-long playoff before the actual playoff and more drama than we've ever seen.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Why not just get rid of the CFP altogether? It's okay to admit you made the worst mistake in history and correct it.

Personally, I say go back to the good old days, when voters just voted after the bowl games and the #1 team was the champ. And life went on. When did we have to start caring how the UCFs of the world feel?

To convince me that expansion is worthwhile you have to show that there is a year in which the CFP final game was not a matchup of the 2 best teams in college football. As long as that's happening, who cares how you get there?

Where did this sense of entitlement come that the G5 schools need a seat at the table? No G5 school has ever been a legit CFP title contender. Not particularly close either.
Integrity of the organization. If a conference in FBS, then integrity demands a seat at the table.

Having stated the above, personally, I would like to see the G5 have their own division.

Last edited:
Personally, I say go back to the good old days, when voters just voted after the bowl games and the #1 team was the champ. And life went on. When did we have to start caring how the UCFs of the world feel?
When did we have to start caring how the Alabamas of the world feel?

Every other NCAA football division, and the NAIA, have playoffs. If they can do it, so should FBS.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
None whatsoever. If people want to shake something up, then eliminate games against FCS opponents, add conference games, eliminate divisional play and select teams for conference championship games by a points system that works the same in every league. That makes every game urgent and many games more become interesting while directly impacting the CFP. Do the above and essentially you get a season-long playoff before the actual playoff and more drama than we've ever seen.
Agree about eliminating games against FCS teams, but why add more conference games? Why not replace the FCS game with games against FBS P5 teams in other leagues?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Dont like it . BEAT THEM .

Right? Talk about a limp-wristed approach. I'm gonna laugh my tail off when they go through all this rigmarole just to try to keep Bama from winning and they win the first title with the expanded playoff.

When did we have to start caring how the Alabamas of the world feel?

Every other NCAA football division, and the NAIA, have playoffs. If they can do it, so should FBS.

I don't care about any particular team. Just play the game and let the chips fall where they may.

Agree about eliminating games against FCS teams, but why add more conference games? Why not replace the FCS game with games against FBS P5 teams in other leagues?
That would be alright. But several leagues already play nine conference games. With a 14-team league, why should the SEC play fewer?

Integrity of the organization. If a conference in FBS, then integrity demands a seat at the table.

Having stated the above, personally, I would like to see the G5 have their own division.
Sorry. That first point assumes parity of leagues and that is fallacious. The second point is absolutely what ought to happen.

Great thread title by the way

e9a029fc5a96cb3a5966192e75e8bf2bc1490e9f.gif

so the teams can’t be beat on the field so we have to rig a system to try making them fail. That’s sporting.

There's a velocity {network} impact which creates additional imbalances in recruiting/perception.

It occurs inherently ~ "Let's go to BAMA, as they've historically have been the best." However, the CFP 4-team layout/vacuum has exacerbated.

78.9% of the total Playoff appearances have been by 4 teams - Bama, Clemson, OSU & OU.

Last edited:
There's a velocity {network} impact which creates additional imbalances in recruiting/perception.

It occurs inherently {"let's go to BAMA b/c their historically have been the best"}, however the CFP 4-team layout/vacuum has exacerbated.

78.9% of the total Playoff appearances have been by 4 teams - Bama, Clemson, OSU & OU.

So?

It's designed to include the best teams. So far, it's succeeded in that. People clamored for a system that would identify the 2 best teams for the title game. The CFP has done that flawlessly. No legitimate title contender has been excluded from the CFP thus far.

The problem stems partially from the fact that college football has fallen into PC culture and become too inclusive. Not everyone deserves a shot.

Reactions: king ward
So?

It's designed to include the best teams. So far, it's succeeded in that. People clamored for a system that would identify the 2 best teams for the title game. The CFP has done that flawlessly. No legitimate title contender has been excluded from the CFP thus far.

It creates recruiting imbalances. The same thing that happens in business.

Do you believe all of Amazon, IBM, etc. success is directly related to their continual brilliant decision making?

Or was it also that they caught tail wail and through their household name which increased success by heavy multiples?

Remember when people used to call making paper copies "Xeroxing?"

The network effect is very real. This is one reason why our government sometimes is forced to intervene.

It occurs inherently ~ "Let's go to BAMA, as they've historically have been the best." However, the CFP 4-team layout/vacuum has exacerbated.

Which means that, in the brief history of the CFP, 21% of the other participants had a chance to break into glory against the unquestioned best.

So?

The problem stems partially from the fact that college football has fallen into PC culture and become too inclusive. Not everyone deserves a shot.
Why is this so hard for people to understand? There's a place for inclusion, but this ain't it.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? There's a place for inclusion, but this ain't it.

King, I'll flip that around to you. Do you not believe in the monopoly concept?

I've discussed recruiting. Here's one for perception: Two years ago, Will Muschamp sat down with ESPN after his SEC Conference speech - What was the first thing they asked him? "If you were a recruit just coming out of high school, would you choose Clemson or Alabama?"

This happens on a regular basis now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT