ADVERTISEMENT

Solution to football playoff?

Holy smoke, I think one G5 team in the playoffs is too many. You want 5?? You really think 8-4 N. Illinois deserved a spot in the playoffs?
If they win the MAC championship - yes, they deserve to dance for the integrity of the playoff system. Just like basketball.

Now if the NCAA comes up with a playoff bracket for G5 schools, that's a reasonable alternative.

But before any of that is done, one needs to define P5 & G5 criteria, i.e., like what is done for FCS, D-II, & D-III.

The reality is that it's perception and conference affiliation. Dook, Wake, and Vandy football are, practically speaking, G5. If Tulane hadn't left the SEC, they would be considered P5, and if Vandy left, they would be considered G5. Cincinnati & UCF are, practically speaking P5, and their move to the Big XII confirms it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucketdad
Maybe it’s because all the other games are meaningless. They are an exhibition game with nothing on the line. No one wants to watch that. Clearly the ratings show that. College football has always been driven by the fans and the fans are speaking. Get rid of all the other bowls and expand the playoff. That makes for a better post season than 50 million bowls where 2 6-6 teams are going at it.
Then why do some schools draw 50k to their spring game?

The players are the ones wearing the jerseys if they want to change who cares. I don’t see those fans griping like you. Traditions come and go man get a hold of yourself. Go in a hole and watch reruns of old games from long ago. College football is not going back to that ridiculous where a group in a boardroom got to choose who played for the national championship. Neither is it going to some algorithms that decides that. Put the best 12 in a playoff and let the chips fall where they may. That is true competition and it’s decided on the field. That’s what TRUE college football fans want. A system free of human subjectivity where a team can win every single game and still get shafted because someone THINKS they are unworthy. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday. If you earn it you should get the chance to put your chips all in.
In general, the players are as shortsighted about these things as you are, and they don't need their impressionable young minds contaminated with the unappreciative, microwave version of college football that you seek. The BCS was decided on the field. It was better than the system we had in 1985, but the system we had in 1985 was exponentially better than the CFP. Again, though, it is not just the CFP in itself. As deplorable as it is, the CFP alone would have likely been bearable. But in conjunction with everything else, you vampires have almost bled the game dry. Y'all aren't real college football fans, you're really just NFL fans. And it's okay to be an NFL fan, but you already had the NFL.

And why would I go in a hole to watch reruns of old games? I don't want to get in a dirty old hole, but I do watch old games. Not everyday, but sometimes I'll get on an old game kick and binge watch them. I've transferred all of them to dvd's, but I still love to watch the '88 UGA game, the '90 UNC game, the '92 and '96 tater games, as well as several of the old Sparky Woods and even fat Brad shows on VHS on one of the old tube tv's I have in my basement.

In general, the players are as shortsighted about these things as you are, and they don't need their impressionable young minds contaminated with the unappreciative, microwave version of college football that you seek. The BCS was decided on the field. It was better than the system we had in 1985, but the system we had in 1985 was exponentially better than the CFP. Again, though, it is not just the CFP in itself. As deplorable as it is, the CFP alone would have likely been bearable. But in conjunction with everything else, you vampires have almost bled the game dry. Y'all aren't real college football fans, you're really just NFL fans. And it's okay to be an NFL fan, but you already had the NFL.

And why would I go in a hole to watch reruns of old games? I don't want to get in a dirty old hole, but I do watch old games. Not everyday, but sometimes I'll get on an old game kick and binge watch them. I've transferred all of them to dvd's, but I still love to watch the '88 UGA game, the '90 UNC game, the '92 and '96 tater games, as well as several of the old Sparky Woods and even fat Brad shows on VHS on one of the old tube tv's I have in my basement.
Still, every other collegiate football division save BCS has a true playoff.

You are a unique breed I will give you that. Can’t say it makes any sense. You can keep longing for the good ol days and I’ll enjoy the current. I got news for it’s not going backwards.

Maybe it’s because all the other games are meaningless. They are an exhibition game with nothing on the line. No one wants to watch that. Clearly the ratings show that. College football has always been driven by the fans and the fans are speaking. Get rid of all the other bowls and expand the playoff. That makes for a better post season than 50 million bowls where 2 6-6 teams are going at it.
Now you want to get rid of all bowls and stamp out other people's joy. Perhaps next you can construct a device that will block out the Sun. Why do you care if Syracuse and Minnesota face one another in a late December bowl sponsored by a company which most people have never heard of? Why not just go to 12 conference games in the new 20 team SEC that will be a reality within the next decade? Just don't play clemmons, because tradition doesn't matter, right?

And you still didn't answer my question about what you did to Col. Rebel. You probably have him in a room making these jersey's that the Jersey Shore faction of college football find appealing.

vic-black-copy.jpg

You are a unique breed I will give you that. Can’t say it makes any sense. You can keep longing for the good ol days and I’ll enjoy the current. I got news for it’s not going backwards.
You're right, it isn't going backward. In fact, we all know that the CFP will expand. I don't know why they're being so demure about it, because we know it, they know it, they know we know it, and we know they know we know they know it. We'll probably be in the CFP next year, and I will watch and cheer hypocritically.

I know, and that's great. But 1-A is different. As a practical function, the CFP makes sense, but....ewww. I don't like it.

But I will never get back a noon game on JP with Bob Kesling or Dave Neal, and I doubt I'll ever read another copy of Gamecock Fever. It sucks, and I have so much longer to live through it all.

I know, and that's great. But 1-A is different. As a practical function, the CFP makes sense, but....ewww. I don't like it.

But I will never get back a noon game on JP with Bob Kesling or Dave Neal, and I doubt I'll ever read another copy of Gamecock Fever. It sucks, and I have so much longer to live through it all.
How exactly is 1-A different? You claim the CFP makes sense but eww? What exactly is it that don’t like about the cfp? You would rather the NC be decided by a computer or a board room of people?

If you have already stated these things just point me to the post #.

Reactions: atl-cock

How exactly is 1-A different? You claim the CFP makes sense but eww? What exactly is it that don’t like about the cfp? You would rather the NC be decided by a computer or a board room of people?

Exactly. What makes 1-A / FBS "special" than any other collegiate division in any sport?

How is 1-A college football different? You, and atl-cock above asked a similar question. I know I've been insulting on this topic, so it may be hard to believe I'm not trying to be here, but I'm really not. But if y'all can't understand how it's different from other divisions in terms of its history and what it means to people, there is nothing I can say to make you understand. And it is that incognizance that results in overtime rules(which shouldn't even exist in the regular season) that resemble penalty kicks after the second OT...it makes as much sense as having basketball teams play HORSE in their overtime....and results in some suggesting a few years ago that Texas and Oklahoma just play home and home.

The CFP is too much like the NFL, and you already have the NFL. And, again, a BCS type system decides it on the field. One of the few changes that was needed in college football from the 80's was to allow a team to not play in its conference's big bowl tie-in so we could have a national championship match. Let #2 Oregon out of the Rose Bowl to play #1 Carolina in the Sugar Bowl.

How is 1-A college football different? You, and atl-cock above asked a similar question. I know I've been insulting on this topic, so it may be hard to believe I'm not trying to be here, but I'm really not. But if y'all can't understand how it's different from other divisions in terms of its history and what it means to people, there is nothing I can say to make you understand. And it is that incognizance that results in overtime rules(which shouldn't even exist in the regular season) that resemble penalty kicks after the second OT...it makes as much sense as having basketball teams play HORSE in their overtime....and results in some suggesting a few years ago that Texas and Oklahoma just play home and home.

The CFP is too much like the NFL, and you already have the NFL. And, again, a BCS type system decides it on the field. One of the few changes that was needed in college football from the 80's was to allow a team to not play in its conference's big bowl tie-in so we could have a national championship match. Let #2 Oregon out of the Rose Bowl to play #1 Carolina in the Sugar Bowl.
It just blows my mind that someone WANTS a game to end in a tie.

Reactions: BlueCord86
I don't want it to, but knowing that's a possibility adds to the strategy and excitement.
That’s were you and I differ, nothing exciting about a tie. However you have spent this entire post preaching how college does not need to be like the NFl and guess who has regular season ties?

The BCS was system was so flawed that there were changes and tweaks made to it every year of its existence. The most glaring issue which led to constant criticism was that it was mostly based on a computer formula. The year 2000 being the most controversial of all years. Oklahoma beat FSU for the title, However Miami had beaten FSU for their only loss and was ranked higher in both the AP and UPI (Coaches Poll) final polls, but due to the formula was squeezed out.
Some may yearn back to this system, but it was clear after 2000 it was an inadequate solution to determine a NC.
No system including the present one is going to be perfect, but what we have now is better than computer formulas or before that, writers/coaches perception of teams (that some may not have even seen play), then vote to anoint a champion.

Last edited:
NFL needs a Minor League, let the Money hungry kids go there (take ESPN with them), the ones that want a Free Education go to school and give us actual College Sports again!
College Football Playoffs really do Suck

NFL needs a Minor League, let the Money hungry kids go there (take ESPN with them), the ones that want a Free Education go to school and give us actual College Sports again!
The NFL does have a minor league. It's called college football. And it doesn't cost them a dime. What financial incentive is there for them to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create a league that no one will watch?

Actually, Bad seed and I asked the same question. How is 1-A different?

The US slavery in its history. Abolishing it was a good thing. And conducting a true playoff for FBS is a good thing too.

Also, I have no problem with tie games in a non-playoff contest. That's a part of history i can accept.

There have been and continue to be professional minor leagues out there. The NFL has sponsored a couple which come to mind.

College football, as you probably see it, can be found in NCAA D-II, D-III, and the NAIA. And all three have playoffs.

The media is of course to blame for the discontent with the playoff system. As soon as the CFP was implemented the media started “speculating” that it may lead to the devaluing of other bowl games. Often, it was presented as though just an innocent question: “Will the advent of a 4-team playoff lead to other teams feeling excluded and thus diminishing the importance of non-CFP bowl games?” The purpose, obviously, was to plant the seeds of discontent in the minds of players and fans.

Sadly, it has worked. Even though there has never been a single logical, rational reason provided as to why teams not making the CFP should feel that their bowl game is less important, the notion has taken root.

It’s an instructive lesson in the power of suggestion. The media simply threw the suggestion out there, with zero factual support, but it has taken root in the minds of the weak and has become reality.

That’s were you and I differ, nothing exciting about a tie. However you have spent this entire post preaching how college does not need to be like the NFl and guess who has regular season ties?
Both also use oblong, brown footballs and wear cleats, but if you want to be pedantic, college football had ties before the NFL even existed.

The BCS was system was so flawed that there were changes and tweaks made to it every year of its existence. The most glaring issue which led to constant criticism was that it was mostly based on a computer formula. The year 2000 being the most controversial of all years. Oklahoma beat FSU for the title, However Miami had beaten FSU for their only loss and was ranked higher in both the AP and UPI (Coaches Poll) final polls, but due to the formula was squeezed out.
Some may yearn back to this system, but it was clear after 2000 it was an inadequate solution to determine a NC.
No system including the present one is going to be perfect, but what we have now is better than computer formulas or before that, writers/coaches perception of teams (that some may not have even seen play), then vote to anoint a champion.
The BCS was not perfect, but I never said I wanted the BCS. I wanted a BCS type of system. Y'all could've just given me complete power and 10 minutes and I would've fixed what ailed college football.

Actually, Bad seed and I asked the same question. How is 1-A different?

The US slavery in its history. Abolishing it was a good thing. And conducting a true playoff for FBS is a good thing too.

Also, I have no problem with tie games in a non-playoff contest. That's a part of history i can accept.
You're a monster for even referring to it as FBS, but that's why you like the CFP. It is 1-A. As far as slavery, in the history of this country, slavery and the decimation of the American Indian are the only two things worse than the CFP. A comet colliding with the planet or a deadly plague that kills millions...oh, wait....are more desirable than the CFP.

I take that back. There are other college football related events worse than the CFP, which is still bad.

You're a monster for even referring to it as FBS, but that's why you like the CFP. It is 1-A. As far as slavery, in the history of this country, slavery and the decimation of the American Indian are the only two things worse than the CFP. A comet colliding with the planet or a deadly plague that kills millions...oh, wait....are more desirable than the CFP.
is-this-guy-59c5aa.jpg

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Yes, I know that comparing slavery to no playoff in D-1A is outlandish, even in the historical context.

I was merely trying to state that just because something has a history doesn't mean we should keep doing it that way if there's a better way to do it. And slavery was the first (only) thing to pop into my mind at the moment.

Maybe giving up cars and going back to the horse and buggy is a slightly more palatable analogy.

Are we still having playoff discussions after last night? The answer is NO to expansion. It will only favor teams that recruit at the very highest level (even more than now). Kirby didn't out coach Saban last night; he won a war of attrition. Bama lost their top 2 receivers in games 13 and 15 of the season. I'm not hating on Smart by saying that. I drove the "Hire Kirby" bandwagon on here after Spurrier retired because I thought he was an elite recruiter.

Are we still having playoff discussions after last night? The answer is NO to expansion. It will only favor teams that recruit at the very highest level (even more than now). Kirby didn't out coach Saban last night; he won a war of attrition. Bama lost their top 2 receivers in games 13 and 15 of the season. I'm not hating on Smart by saying that. I drove the "Hire Kirby" bandwagon on here after Spurrier retired because I thought he was an elite recruiter.
You can say no all you want but expansion is coming. The question is 8 or 12 and the limit on how many a conference can have. Those are the three sticking points as discussions continue.

You can say no all you want but expansion is coming. The question is 8 or 12 and the limit on how many a conference can have. Those are the three sticking points as discussions continue.
Cool. College football is vcked up anyway. I'm all for accelerating the demise. I don't like watching Clemson and Georgia in the playoff as some other FGF posters do. But go off, I guess.

For this year alone, though, expansion wouldn't have been meaningful. The #s 3 & 4 teams weren't even competitive against 1 & 2. Adding 4 more teams would have just been adding more games for games sake. It wouldn't have contributed anything to the playoffs. We clearly had the best two teams in the country last night.

Reactions: DarkCock
For this year alone, though, expansion wouldn't have been meaningful. The #s 3 & 4 teams weren't even competitive against 1 & 2. Adding 4 more teams would have just been adding more games for games sake. It wouldn't have contributed anything to the playoffs. We clearly had the best two teams in the country last night.
One year is not a complete sample. That’s micro vs macro.

I guess you don't much care for 68 teams in March Madness, and a final four weekend alone will do. And I'm okay with that position (even if I disagree with it), as long as you're okay with it across all divisions of all sports.

One year is not a complete sample. That’s micro vs macro.
I didn't represent it as a complete sample. That is why I specifically limited the comment to this year only. Next year, or any other year, may be different. However, since the inception of the 4 game playoff they have gotten it right every year and the winner has been the true champion. No team that has had a legitimate shot at the NC has been left out unlike the BCS era.

I guess you don't much care for 68 teams in March Madness, and a final four weekend alone will do. And I'm okay with that position (even if I disagree with it), as long as you're okay with it across all divisions of all sports.
Basketball playoffs are a joke. 68 teams in a National Championship Playoff? Why even have a regular season. Just have a big tournament. And I'm not okay with making playoffs the same for every sport. That is totally asinine. You cannot possibly compare football to basketball. They are too different. There is a reason why you only play a maximum of one game per week and 12 games in a season in football. It is just too brutal and physically demanding. You can play basketball every other day. I think 4 teams for a football playoff is adequate. It has worked very well since its inception.

I said the same thing about y'all when y'all stopped Nebraska vs. Colorado and Pitt vs. Penn State from happening every year. That kind of hooliganism is what leads to Rutgers joining the Big 10.
No one stopped those teams from playing their rivals except the teams themselves. No one forced them out of their respective conferences. They did it of their own volition.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT