ADVERTISEMENT

Solution to football playoff?

No one stopped those teams from playing their rivals except the teams themselves. No one forced them out of their respective conferences. They did it of their own volition.
It's all interconnected, you see. The people that made those decisions are all part of the ecosystem that consists of reprobates, fools, and intelligent and well meaning people that think they are improving college football, but are clueless buffoons that make it worse. College football is worse due to Nebraska being in the Big 10 and Colorado in the Pac 12. College football is worse due to restrictive bowl tie-ins. College football is worse because of NIL and the extinction of the crooked booster. College football is worse because y'all have rendered the Holiday Bowl meaningless. The CFP is just the latest gangrenous digit, further rotting college football. But y'all want even more. Losing a toe isn't good enough. That leg's got to go, too!

He’s one of those cranky old men that hates change and all change is bad. Only difference is he isn’t old.
Me in 30 years.

images

It's all interconnected, you see. The people that made those decisions are all part of the ecosystem that consists of reprobates, fools, and intelligent and well meaning people that think they are improving college football, but are clueless buffoons that make it worse. College football is worse due to Nebraska being in the Big 10 and Colorado in the Pac 12. College football is worse due to restrictive bowl tie-ins. College football is worse because of NIL and the extinction of the crooked booster. College football is worse because y'all have rendered the Holiday Bowl meaningless. The CFP is just the latest gangrenous digit, further rotting college football. But y'all want even more. Losing a toe isn't good enough. That leg's got to go, too!
images

You can call names in an obvious attempt to feel intellectually superior all you want. But the people in charge whose sole duty is to look out for what they feel is the best for their programs and institutions very much disagree with you. As do many, MANY other fans.

Though I highly doubt it, I suppose history may eventually prove you right. But all this yearning for the worst of our football past is akin to the old neighborhood man yelling at kids to stay off his lawn.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
You can call names in an obvious attempt to feel intellectually superior all you want. But the people in charge whose sole duty is to look out for what they feel is the best for their programs and institutions very much disagree with you. As do many, MANY other fans.

Though I highly doubt it, I suppose history may eventually prove you right. But all this yearning for the worst of our football past is akin to the old neighborhood man yelling at kids to stay off his lawn.
Allow me to provide you some assistance.
Do you mean something like this. ;)

OrdinaryMatureHawk-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Come on, I never said I was intellectually superior. I am morally superior because I am not a murderer. Y'all killed the SWC and pillaged the Big East. The latter was particularly impressive, as y'all managed to neuter a good football and basketball conference.

And the worst of our football past is not allowing black dudes to play due to skin color and ignoring player safety. Me wanting to keep MSU's cowbells or to call Syracuse the Orangemen is way down on the list of offenses.

Come on, I never said I was intellectually superior. I am morally superior because I am not a murderer. Y'all killed the SWC and pillaged the Big East. The latter was particularly impressive, as y'all managed to neuter a good football and basketball conference.

And the worst of our football past is not allowing black dudes to play due to skin color and ignoring player safety. Me wanting to keep MSU's cowbells or to call Syracuse the Orangemen is way down on the list of offenses.
Whatever.

I can't figure out why y'all are so upset with me anyway. After all, I'm just complaining, but y'all have gotten everything you've wanted. You've killed the Big 8. You've thrown away historic rivalries like a used straw. You've made it to where I'm the only one that cares about the Alamo and Sun Bowls. You've acquired your 14...16....soon to be 20 team unwieldy, impersonal "conferences." Y'all have got your CFP, and will soon get your wish for an even larger version.

There is really no reason for y'all to be upset with me, as y'all have gotten everything you want, and I have gotten nothing. Y'all just don't like me complaining.

I can't figure out why y'all are so upset with me anyway. After all, I'm just complaining, but y'all have gotten everything you've wanted. You've killed the Big 8. You've thrown away historic rivalries like a used straw. You've made it to where I'm the only one that cares about the Alamo and Sun Bowls. You've acquired your 14...16....soon to be 20 team unwieldy, impersonal "conferences." Y'all have got your CFP, and will soon get your wish for an even larger version.

There is really no reason for y'all to be upset with me, as y'all have gotten everything you want, and I have gotten nothing. Y'all just don't like me complaining.
Perhaps it's the name-calling and lumping everyone else into the same category while acting like you're the lone paragon of virtue in this greedy and gluttonous world?

Idk, just a guess.

Perhaps it's the name-calling and lumping everyone else into the same category while acting like you're the lone paragon of virtue in this greedy and gluttonous world?

Idk, just a guess.
Y'all have now managed to have West Virginia and BYU in the same conference, but are upset because I called someone a name in a well justified fit of rage?

Y'all have now managed to have West Virginia and BYU in the same conference, but are upset because I called someone a name in a well justified fit of rage?
There you go again with the "y'all" stuff. No one had anything to do with any of that other than the people in charge of those respective institutions.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find a way to finish a game with a TIE. 🙄

Well, just speaking for myself and not "y'all", personally, I just have a very low tolerance level for moronic idiots who don't know what they are talking about. But that's just me.

There you go again with the "y'all" stuff. No one had anything to do with any of that other than the people in charge of those respective institutions.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find a way to finish a game with a TIE. 🙄
Y'all are all part of "y'all." You are y'all. Greg Sankey is y'all. Ray Tanner is y'all. Kirk Herbstreit is y'all. And y'all should be ashamed.

Well, just speaking for myself and not "y'all", personally, I just have a very low tolerance level for moronic idiots who don't know what they are talking about. But that's just me.
Self hate is emotionally damaging. Please seek the help you need.

Basketball playoffs are a joke. 68 teams in a National Championship Playoff? Why even have a regular season. Just have a big tournament. And I'm not okay with making playoffs the same for every sport. That is totally asinine. You cannot possibly compare football to basketball. They are too different. There is a reason why you only play a maximum of one game per week and 12 games in a season in football. It is just too brutal and physically demanding. You can play basketball every other day. I think 4 teams for a football playoff is adequate. It has worked very well since its inception.

Your response was inconsistent. You mention in general that you're not okay making the playoffs the same for every sport, then discuss how/why basketball and football differ in the regular season.

I wasn't referring to the regular season of any sport. Again, would you be okay if basketball playoffs began with the final four?

Your response was inconsistent. You mention in general that you're not okay making the playoffs the same for every sport, then discuss how/why basketball and football differ in the regular season.

I wasn't referring to the regular season of any sport. Again, would you be okay if basketball playoffs began with the final four?
I wasn't referring to regular season vs playoffs. I was referring to the physical differences between the sports. We only have 12 regular season games in Football + conference championship + playoffs. Adding more playoff teams increases the # of games, and we already play too many games for the physical demands of the sport. Injuries are a major concern. The more games you play the more injuries you will incur. If not for injuries, Bama could well be the NC as we speak.

Self hate is emotionally damaging. Please seek the help you need.
No hate whatsoever. Just intolerance of stupidity. I don't hate you at all. I just think you are an idiot who has no idea at all about what you speak of.

Just to circle back to the original discussion: any proposal that allows a 4-loss team into a playoff should be dismissed out of hand.

I wasn't referring to regular season vs playoffs. I was referring to the physical differences between the sports. We only have 12 regular season games in Football + conference championship + playoffs. Adding more playoff teams increases the # of games, and we already play too many games for the physical demands of the sport. Injuries are a major concern. The more games you play the more injuries you will incur. If not for injuries, Bama could well be the NC as we speak.
I would be more respectful of your position if every other collegiate football division (NCAA D-IAA/FCS, NCAA D-II, NCAA D-III, and the NAIA) didn't already have a full playoff system in place.

Either everybody else drop their full football playoffs or FBS/D-1A/"major college" (whatever you want to call it) needs to add one.

I think its simple

6 team playoff
all P5 conference champs get auto bid
top ranked non P5 conference champ (sorry ND, join a conference)
1 & 2 seeds get a bye

This makes the conference championship games have meaning as essentially the 1st round of the playoff. Highest ranked team hosts 1st and 2nd round. All gate revenue if divided equally among the 6 teams because the bye teams get no gate revenue the first round. Championship games rotates thru host cities.
+ Eliminate the major bowls from the playoff (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta etc etc). Those bowls go to non playoff teams (conf runner ups). Currently, the 4 playoff teams get the playoff AND major bowls.
+ Eliminate conference tie-ins. Highest paying bowls pick the two highest ranking available teams that are not in the same conference or have already played during regular season
+ This allows every FBS team a legitimate path to the playoff
+ Polls / rankings still have meaning - top teams looking for a bye and non P5 teams looking for the 6th spot. Plus playoff seeding and bowl destinations

What this year may have looked like...
Playoff Teams: Bama (bye), Mich (bye), Cinn, Baylor, Utah

Bowls:
Orange - UGA / ND
Cotton - Ohio St / Ole MISS
Peach - Ok St / Mich St
Fiesta - BYU / ORE
Rose - Iowa / OK
Sugar - Wake / Houston
Alamo - NCST / ARK
Gator - CLEM / UK
Sun - ULouisiana / SDSU
so on and so forth

*sighs*

But YOU aren't. Right? You're the lone voice of reason in the cold, dark world of college athletics.
Well, there is a paucity of intelligence, but even more troubling, a paucity of concern with the damage y'all have done to college football.

Last edited:
No hate whatsoever. Just intolerance of stupidity. I don't hate you at all. I just think you are an idiot who has no idea at all about what you speak of.
There are maybe three people in this thread that know what they are talking about.

Look at you and atl-cock involved in an argument about the CFP. Y'all both are in favor of it, but still argue about it due to whatever disagreements y'all have. It's like arguing over which is better; swallowing lava or trying to cut your fingernails with a moving helicopter blade. Both are terrible ideas.

Ratings for Monday nights national championship were the second lowest since 2005. Wonder why?
Maybe because no one wants to watch two teams from the same conference play for a national championship. A rerun from the month prior on a Monday at 8:30 at that. To be smart business men you would think they could figure that out. LSU vs Bama is the reason we got the CFP to begin with.

There are maybe three people in this thread that know what they are talking about.

Look at you and atl-cock involved in an argument about the CFP. Y'all both are in favor of it, but still argue about it due to whatever disagreements y'all have. It's like arguing over which is better; swallowing lava or trying to cut your fingernails with a moving helicopter blade. Both are terrible ideas.
I'm in favour of a playoff. My major disagreement with those who oppose it are those who object because that's too many games for a team to play. I would take that assertion seriously if FBS wasn't the only collegiate group which doesn't have a playoff.

If a playoff is merely to determine a national champion, then a four team mini playoff would do it, and FCS, D-II, D-III, and the NAIA should adopt that. But if there's a push to publicize more teams and generate interest for a few weeks like March madness, then a 16-team playoff with higher seed hosting until the championship game held at a neutral site is the best way to go, IMO. And the bowl games, which would take place outside of the playoff structure, survive it, more power to them.

An of course, if you think a final four in hoops is sufficient, I might disagree, but I appreciate consistency most of all.

I would be more respectful of your position if every other collegiate football division (NCAA D-IAA/FCS, NCAA D-II, NCAA D-III, and the NAIA) didn't already have a full playoff system in place.

Either everybody else drop their full football playoffs or FBS/D-1A/"major college" (whatever you want to call it) needs to add one.
That is not an accurate comparison. You're not looking at the facts. FCS for example plays fewer games than FBS in regular season. FCS conferences don't have championship games either. For this year the FCS Championship Game was played on 1/8/22 so it was over with before the the FBS Championship. FCS started the playoffs November 27 right after the regular season. FCS Champion played a total of 16 games whereas FBS played a total of 15 games - about the same. FBS teams have more days of practice as well. Under the current system if FBS were to add 8 more teams they wouldn't finish until February. That's way too long and too many games for college kids to be playing.

I might would go along with your proposal if the FBS were to cut back the regular season to 11 games and eliminated the Conference Championship Games. Also they would have to start playing the games sooner and throughout December. But we all know this is not going to happen.

The current system is working fine. There is no reason to change. It would just be adding more games for games sake.

You would not be one of those.

Atl-cock and I are not arguing over a playoff - we both are in favor of it. We are just discussing how many teams should be involved. Just like if we bought the same make and model of car, but he chose leather interior and I chose a different color and cloth interior. It's still the same car just with minor cosmetic differences.

Historically, athletic conferences were made up of "like-minded" institutions in geographic proximity. I know leagues these days prefer a larger geographic footprint for greater media coverage. Bad tradeoff.

Indeed, Penn State, Pitt, and West Virginia should all be in the same conference.

The Big East pretty much destroyed themselves with that football/basketball hybrid of a conference. Yes, the Big-8 screwed up by merging with half of the remnant of the SWC. Yes, we and Maryland screwed up by leaving the ACC. And yes, Georgia Tech and Tulane screwed up by leaving the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
That is not an accurate comparison. You're not looking at the facts. FCS for example plays fewer games than FBS in regular season. FCS conferences don't have championship games either. For this year the FCS Championship Game was played on 1/8/22 so it was over with before the the FBS Championship. FCS started the playoffs November 27 right after the regular season. FCS Champion played a total of 16 games whereas FBS played a total of 15 games - about the same. FBS teams have more days of practice as well. Under the current system if FBS were to add 8 more teams they wouldn't finish until February. That's way too long and too many games for college kids to be playing.

I might would go along with your proposal if the FBS were to cut back the regular season to 11 games and eliminated the Conference Championship Games. Also they would have to start playing the games sooner and throughout December. But we all know this is not going to happen.

The current system is working fine. There is no reason to change. It would just be adding more games for games sake.
I think there's a D-II conference that has a championship game. Remember, that's where the SEC got that idea 30+ years ago, and used that to re-expand the league to 12 members by adding USC & Arky.

If FBS had a true playoff system, I could see it operating similarly to other collegiate divisions, i.e., right after the regular season ends, i.e., no waiting around until late December to begin. If FCS & D-II & III play 11 games, I'd be okay to reverting back to it. Of course, I advocate for an 8-member league, which enables you to play every other league member in every sport every season. including a double round-robin in basketball. It also lets you schedule contests again a wide variety of non-league members. No divisions, no need for a championship game. Let the league champion in football dance; other teams with a good enough record can go bowling.

Reactions: ghostofpepsicock
You would not be one of those.

Atl-cock and I are not arguing over a playoff - we both are in favor of it. We are just discussing how many teams should be involved. Just like if we bought the same make and model of car, but he chose leather interior and I chose a different color and cloth interior. It's still the same car just with minor cosmetic differences.
Oh, I'm the main one, baby!

And I know you're both in favor of it. I said that. One of you is in favor of petting a rattlesnake, and the other is in favor of hugging it.

Oh, I'm the main one, baby!

And I know you're both in favor of it. I said that. One of you is in favor of petting a rattlesnake, and the other is in favor of hugging it.
No, we just like competition and playing for championships while you enjoy popularity contests.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
No, we just like competition and playing for championships while you enjoy popularity contests.
Absurd! First, I have said....in this thread...that I prefer a BCS type system, which technically is a playoff.

Secondly, we're Carolina fans, so we clearly don't like playing for championships.

Absurd! First, I have said....in this thread...that I prefer a BCS type system, which technically is a playoff.

Secondly, we're Carolina fans, so we clearly don't like playing for championships.
Bcs was not a playoff. Like others have said it was a popularity contest.

Reactions: JGH 35
By using metrics that can be calculated. Much like other leagues.

Is it really that complicated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT