ADVERTISEMENT

I dont see why the PGA cant play right now?

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
No fans, just have 1 player tee off at a time. We are talking about a golf course. Players cant stay away from each other ? Yes. No ?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
They’re supposed to start back up in June, but I do think/wish they’d start back up next month. I’m a volunteer for the Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte and I’m really missing it right now. It was supposed to start yesterday :(

Reactions: jeff2001
I agree, at this point I believe it’s just optics. Golf is seen as an elitist sport. They don’t want to come off as having it look like the “rules” don’t apply to them.
Good point. Dont want to look like Snobs.

I just read on a golf forum that IL and PA are allowing courses to reopen. They never closed in GA. I don't see the problem with the PGA rebooting with some restrictions if public courses are opening.

I just read on a golf forum that IL and PA are allowing courses to reopen. They never closed in GA. I don't see the problem with the PGA rebooting with some restrictions if public courses are opening.
Our course closed for a month and reopens to members on Thursday. The closure was totally needless in that courses remained open all over South Carolina. The only things our club did correctly were not billing dues for April and aerating the greens while they were closed.

I’m so ready to watch some golf I’ll pay a few of you duffers to tee it up in the field beside my house.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I had signed up to buy tickets to the PGA Championship in Kiawah next May. I got an email a little while ago that they’re delaying the window for ticket purchases until July. Not the tournament itself, but just the purchase window. I’m so over this BS.

I miss betting on Draft Kings for the PGA.

IN the mean time, my short game and putting has been steadily improving. I want to get the handicap back to or even slightly under 10......... I'M SO CLOSE

Reactions: king ward
I’m guessing it’s money. Sure they have large TV deals but they also have large purses to pay out, employees to pay, and overhead. My guess is they’d lose money with no fans. Able to collect insurance for the events being cancelled. They’ve planned to be back in June.

I don't even like golf, but I'd be all for it if they did it. No reason to fear looking bad if you do it while practicing proper social distancing.

For sure, golf is one sport in which social distancing is easiest for the participants. Basketball is probably one of the hardest.

How much of an impact do fans have on performance for professional golfers? We know that fans do impact baseball, football, and basketball players (i.e., cheers and jeers), which may make the coming season for each sport "surreal".

Such may also be the case for golfers, for all I know. Even though golf protocol requires spectators to be quiet while a shot is being taken, what impact does their mere presence have on the golfer?

Last edited:
I had signed up to buy tickets to the PGA Championship in Kiawah next May. I got an email a little while ago that they’re delaying the window for ticket purchases until July. Not the tournament itself, but just the purchase window. I’m so over this BS.
Got the same email as well :mad:

Local economy was not the question at hand. Simply whether or not golf could be safely played.
Golf, yes. PGA, not so simple.

If money isn't a goal, golf can obviously be played. The PGA's goal and the goal of the golf courses that host tournament is to make money. I don't know, but I would imagine that there are a lot of deals with local economies that come in to play. You can't separate the play on the course from the money it generates.

Reactions: ddw1263
Fans do have an impact on golf, ask those guys who were behind Jack in 86 in Augusta. Think about "Tiger roars". It gets into other players heads. The Ryder Cup, big impact. That said, I think golf and NASCAR would do well on TV without fans. The other sports would seem very odd without fans.

Fans do have an impact on golf, ask those guys who were behind Jack in 86 in Augusta. Think about "Tiger roars". It gets into other players heads. The Ryder Cup, big impact. That said, I think golf and NASCAR would do well on TV without fans. The other sports would seem very odd without fans.

This may work well for the TV audiences, but I hope that golfing with (almost) nobody around doesn't impact their performance (that much).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT