ADVERTISEMENT

I have 5 fishing tournaments in the next

1vagamecock

Feb 5, 2011
2 months.
Bass are scattered this time of year. What are y'alls favorite way to catch them this time of year?

I like the jig and lizard around docks and points I stink at the shake head and DS.
Also love the spinerbait but the water has to cool a lot for that.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I usually start a cool, crisp fall morning with a chartreuse spinner bait. Haven't been able to go as much as I'd like the last 3 years. Any of those tournaments on Murray?

Reactions: 1vagamecock
I’m a live bait guy but I know that’s not legal in tourneys . It depends on the forage . If there’s a lot of shad I’ve had pretty good luck with suspending jerkbaits . The new spy baits are producing big open water fish down here . I tell ya I’ve caught some of my biggest lure fish lately on a 1/4 chatterbait /black and blue skirt with a blue Rage craw trailer . I like the 1/4 because you can fish them in shallow water and keep them from digging in the slop . I’m not a worm guy . It’s super effective but it just bores me to death . Good luck !!

It has been a long time since I fished the big lakes in summer pattern. But you know the drill. C-rig and deep diving cranks on offshore structure. But I'd be slinging a Spook or big buzzbait early, shallow but main lake. I'd be hoping for a couple big bites early.

I use umbrella (Alabama rigs) mainly in late winter early spring.
Chatterbait isn't real effective here, the water is clear and deep.

I use umbrella (Alabama rigs) mainly in late winter early spring.
Chatterbait isn't real effective here, the water is clear and deep.

I love the chatters but if the water is super clear I’ll switch to a swim jig that’s not quite as noisy . Swim Jigs have totally replaced all my spinner baits . I love them because you can fish in super heavy cover, open water or slow roll them on the bottom. Super versatile lure . Also allows you to cover a lot of water quickly

I love the chatters but if the water is super clear I’ll switch to a swim jig that’s not quite as noisy . Swim Jigs have totally replaced all my spinner baits . I love them because you can fish in super heavy cover, open water or slow roll them on the bottom. Super versatile lure . Also allows you to cover a lot of water quickly
I need to put that in my arsenal. I just haven't utilized it yet.

What brand, size, color patterns and trailer do you like? This is a technique I've toyed with but haven't really committed.

I need to put that in my arsenal. I just haven't utilized it yet.

It’s deadly . I never used them before last year. My buddy turned me on to it . He wins tournament after tournament up north and he throws swim jigs religiously . You basically just fish them the way you would fish a spinner bait . I have the best results just burning them down the banks . It’s a super cool bite too !! They hammer them .

What brand, size, color patterns and trailer do you like? This is a technique I've toyed with but haven't really committed.

I make my own (they’re super easy to make) but Yank tackle and Assassinator tackle make really good ones . A lot depends on the forage . If they’re on shad I’ll usually use a white skirt with any kind of paddle tail white and blue flake trailer , the z-man diesel minnow is my go to . If they are feeding mostly on sunfish I’ll use a brown and orange / chartreuse skirt with a Berkeley twin tail in a similar color . I usually rig it sideways so the tail swims side to side instead of up and down . They’re super fun to fish in shallow water . I would fish them in areas that are a little too clear for a loud Chatter style bait .

I make my own (they’re super easy to make) but Yank tackle and Assassinator tackle make really good ones . A lot depends on the forage . If they’re on shad I’ll usually use a white skirt with any kind of paddle tail white and blue flake trailer , the z-man diesel minnow is my go to . If they are feeding mostly on sunfish I’ll use a brown and orange / chartreuse skirt with a Berkeley twin tail in a similar color . I usually rig it sideways so the tail swims side to side instead of up and down . They’re super fun to fish in shallow water . I would fish them in areas that are a little too clear for a loud Chatter style bait .
I'll definitely check that out. I've been catching some good ones on jigs and big worms 15'+ but as the shad start to move into the creeks the bite changes.

I'll definitely check that out. I've been catching some good ones on jigs and big worms 15'+ but as the shad start to move into the creeks the bite changes.

Yeah they get a little more scattered and hard to pin down . I live in NW Florida and live shiner fish 90% of the time just recreationally and a few guided trips . The bite the last few weeks down here has been absolutely ridiculous, best I’ve seen in many years. The fish are insanely aggressive which is strange because August is usually terrible with the heat . What do you think the water temp will be ?? I’ve had a lot of luck in cooler water throwing a rattletrap or lipless crankbait and pretty much dead sticking it.

Its dropped to 78 here already. My guess would be 74. It could go either way depending on heat wave or cold fronts.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT