ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Texas, OU thing is going to happen. The Big 12 held a meeting by video tonight and Texas and OU

Sounds like your athletic department is trying to pull a Bobby Lowder type move.

How is OU getting unhinged from OSU?
Well the Texas AD has the support of the Texas president and the Texas Board of Regents, so everyone there is on the same page except faculty. The Texas governor is a Texas ex with 50 yard line seats for years, so he won't let the legislature screw with Texas.

I don't know how OU will pull this off. The Oklahoma Governor is an Oklahoma State grad and the Lt Governor is Chairman of the Oklahoma State board. In the past it was made clear to OU they couldn't leave Oklahoma State in the lurch. However, OU is making the case that with Texas definitely leaving, with or without OU, the Big 12 is effectively dead and you can't blame OU for grabbing the SEC life preserver. They have no way to maintain the status quo, the Big 12 is a sinking ship without Texas (to maintain the life preserver metphor).

Well the Texas AD has the support of the Texas president and the Texas Board of Regents, so everyone there is on the same page except faculty. The Texas governor is a Texas ex with 50 yard line seats for years, so he won't let the legislature screw with Texas.

I don't know how OU will pull this off. The Oklahoma Governor is an Oklahoma State grad and the Lt Governor is Chairman of the Oklahoma State board. In the past it was made clear to OU they couldn't leave Oklahoma State in the lurch. However, OU is making the case that with Texas definitely leaving, with or without OU, the Big 12 is effectively dead and you can't blame OU for grabbing the SEC life preserver. They have no way to maintain the status quo, the Big 12 is a sinking ship without Texas (to maintain the life preserver metphor).
Though I am somewhat surprised, that does answer my questions regarding the Texas position.

And I agree on Oklahoma....problem is Oklahoma nor Okie State have the options that Texas has/had.

Oh, the arrogance...

With or without Texas, the SEC will be the premier conference in college football.
Texas is definitely an acquired taste. They have the unique ability to constantly seek d***-measuring contests and at the same time have penis envy. Don't believe the myth. Not everything is bigger in Texas. The athletic budget is $60M bigger than Alabama, but the performance? Since 1996 when the Big XII started, 6 SEC teams have won 2 or more national championships. Texas has.....one.

Are they a good get for the SEC? Yes. In fact, the SEC may be the only conference where the Bevo tail doesn't wag the conference.

116 games. Texas lead Oklahoma 62-49-5

Plus, just got offered by the ACC. Maybe playing Clemson and FSU would be fun. Hello Mack Brown at North Carolina. SEC better move fast.
AHA!!! So they are fishing for other offers. Somehow if the B1G offer is made, I have no doubt that UT bites within seconds. My guess is that KU has worked out the basic details by now.

I knew the "leaking" of the discussions seemed a little premature. Chum the ocean and see who bites. Well played by UT if true.

Last edited:
AHA!!! So they are fishing for other offers. Somehow if the B1G offer is made, I have no doubt that UT bites within seconds. My guess is that ku has worked out the basic details by now.

I knew the "leaking" of the discussions seemed a little premature. Chum the ocean and see who bites. Well played by UT if true.
I'm pretty sure the Aggies like having the SEC recruiting advantage over the wHorns. I would not at all be surprised if they are the leak.

Also, in English we only capitalize proper nouns. There is nothing proper about "kansas university". Please pardon my correction. It's a pet peeve of mine. 😄

Reactions: rogue cock
I'm pretty sure the Aggies like having the SEC recruiting advantage over the wHorns. I would not at all be surprised if they are the leak.

Also, in English we only capitalize proper nouns. There is nothing proper about "kansas university". Please pardon my correction. It's a pet peeve of mine. 😄
Apologize, meant to capitalize the KU....no disrespect intended.

EDIT: Wait, I did capitalize KU. KU is the way ESPN and sports networks refer to them (and its also on their helmets) to distinguish itself from Kentucky.

Kansas-Athletics-Logo.png

Last edited:
Yeah, but doesn't OU have 14 Big XII Championships to Texas' 3?
Only because Texas had a down period recently. We still have a more recent National Championship and pretty much dominated them in the 1990s. Not to say they don't have a great football history going back to the Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson days. The overall record, thanks to Darrell Royal favors Texas.

John Sharp, the curent A&M Chancellor and former Texas Comproller and prior candidate for Governor, has been outed as the leak. Trying to derail it all.

Reactions: MUTiger91
Apologize, meant to capitalize the KU....no disrespect intended.
The "no disrespect intended" is the issue. It's an old joke about there being nothing "proper" about kansas. Of course kansans don't do that. It would be like a tater spelling the school name with a "p". ..wait, that might actually happen.

The "no disrespect intended" is the issue. It's an old joke about there being nothing "proper" about kansas. Of course kansas don't do that. It would be like a tater spelling the school name with a "p". ..wait, that might actually happen.
Ahh, sorry. Not familiar with the old joke. It does happen on a rare occasion with the students who are not from the south....spell it like they say it.

We are less than a decade away from the P5 programs breaking away from conferences entirely and forming their own division anyway, so this will be meaningless before too long.

It’s an awful lot of money to be throwing around in something that is essentially obsolete already.

116 games. Texas lead Oklahoma 62-49-5

Plus, just got offered by the ACC. Maybe playing Clemson and FSU would be fun. Hello Mack Brown at North Carolina. SEC better move fast.
7-15 in Oklahoma's favor since 2000. Y'all sure whipped them in the early 1900s though! This is part of why so many people dislike Texas! ACC would be a solid conference for y'all. It's an all cupcake conference!

Reactions: MUTiger91
Sorry if this old news or already been discussed, but a report is out on internet that Big 12 is doing a last ditch idea to keep Texas and Oklahoma from leaving. The eight schools are willing to take a pay cut so to increase Oklahoma and Texas annual payout to 56 million which the rest of the schools only get 37 million. Texas and Okra are suppose to officially notify Big 12 on Monday on their intentions to leave conference.

from a post on SEC Rant:

"For Texas, this has to happen now.

If this deal falls through, what options do they have?

If the SEC backed off, the Horns would be screwed, blued, and tattooed.

So can’t Sankey pretty much get whatever he wants from them now?

(I’m sure he’ll be fair, wink wink)."

Illinois must be licking their chops now. The Illini will be able finally circle a game on their schedule (football) as a for sure win.

I can't see what attraction Kansas has to the BIG? Yes, it is a good BB school and is a member of the AAU but the BIG is driven by football. There are high school teams out there that are better than Kansas in football.

I can't see what attraction Kansas has to the BIG? Yes, it is a good BB school and is a member of the AAU but the BIG is driven by football. There are high school teams out there that are better than Kansas in football.
I do not think it really matters which P5 or maybe soon to be P4 conference Kansas ends up at, they would still finish last in the conference in football. I even think that Kansas would struggle in the FCS Missouri Valley Conference.

It is a better fit geographically for Kansas to be in Big Ten than ACC or Pacific 12.

Have no clue.
Oh, I thought you was referring to Kansas as not having a problem filling up stadium. Yeah, Big Ten has Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin Nebraska and Iowa that put up some great attendance numbers. Michigan State has a stadium that is just about the same size or bigger than what Kentucky has, but Michigan State has experience a slump the last few seasons so the attendance is likely iffy. Indiana and Northwestern has been solid the last few seasons or more that likely put fans in the stands. Then you have Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers and Illinois that need to have some consistence solid seasons to booster the crowd numbers.

Oh, I thought you was referring to Kansas as not having a problem filling up stadium. Yeah, Big Ten has Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin Nebraska and Iowa that put up some great attendance numbers. Michigan State has a stadium that is just about the same size or bigger than what Kentucky has, but Michigan State has experience a slump the last few seasons so the attendance is likely iffy. Indiana and Northwestern has been solid the last few seasons or more that likely put fans in the stands. Then you have Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers and Illinois that need to have some consistence solid seasons to booster the crowd numbers.
Purdue and Minnesota generally do much better than you would think as far as attendance. Minnesota actually travelled well when I was in Columbus.

Purdue and Minnesota generally do much better than you would think as far as attendance. Minnesota actually travelled well when I was in Columbus.
I did not know that about Minnesota. What I was kind of told is that teams that play in large cities the fans have to kind of make a decision on what to spend their entertainment dollars on. It is either Gophers or the Vikings. I know not long ago, the Gophers built them a brand new stadium that they do not have to share with anyone else. I think it is actually on campus too. Maybe that might pump some numbers for them.

I did not know that about Minnesota. What I was kind of told is that teams that play in large cities the fans have to kind of make a decision on what to spend their entertainment dollars on. It is either Gophers or the Vikings. I know not long ago, the Gophers built them a brand new stadium that they 46-47do not have to share with anyone else. I think it is actually on campus too. Maybe that might pump some numbers for them.
They did. Huntington Bank Stadium. Supposedly has a beautiful view of downton Minneapolis. Seats a little over 50,000. They built it to be expandable to 80,000. Attendance has been great for a city with a pro franchise. I would guess on average about 46-47,000 per year. I would say they are similar to MSU, but probably travel better. They sold their full allotment at the Horseshoe when they played there. Ugly uniforms, but they had great fans.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Kansas has good attendance numbers in football?
No. They are awful.

I assumed the original point is that B1G will fill up their stadiums even if it is a game against a glorified Juco team that is poorly coached. Below is from 2014, so not impacted by COVID. (Heavily influenced by having a terrible team.)

BzsN3owIIAAK9bB

No. They are awful.

I assumed the original point is that B1G will fill up their stadiums even if it is a game against a glorified Juco team that is poorly coached. Below is from 2014, so not impacted by COVID.

BzsN3owIIAAK9bB
They would get Kansas for their basketball. That is still a huge sport in the Big Ten. Kansas would quickly be the worst team in Big Ten football.

I used to think this too but:
1. Pandora’s box has already been opened by not playing Clemsux last season
2. These super conferences will make out of conference “must play” games difficult
3. It’s already happening in the lesser sports. We used to play Clemsux in basketball and baseball more than we do now.

Also I know I’m in the minority but I would like to see us back in the ACC. Much better basketball interest and the football interest is always going to be there. Also there are numerous road games that would be a short drive for us fans. Obviously it’s great being in the SEC but honestly half of our football games are yawn fests even in the SEC (Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, etc…) ****this may change with the addition of Texas & OU
Gamecockben1979, WADR, I TOTALLY DISAGREE!! While you are certainly welcome to your own opinion, and while I would certainly fight FOR YOU for such, I cannot think of a worse move for us to rejoin the acc other than simply ceasing all athletics and flushing our Athletic Department. In fact, if such an ignorant occurrence WERE to take place, as-God-as my witness I would WALK AWAY from The University of South Carolina both as a fan AND proud alumnus.

Of Course With All Due Respect To You Gamecockben1979!!

Gaimcock
USC Grad 1989

They would get Kansas for their basketball. That is still a huge sport in the Big Ten. Kansas would quickly be the worst team in Big Ten football.
ku is 2/4 of what B1G wants:

1) Good football (Hey, they had a good year in 2007)
2) Good basketball
3) Good academics. (They are an AAU school and that has been minimum tables stakes for B1G in the past.)
4) If they are smart - and we know they are - they want to add new B1G fans. kansas just doesn't have a very large population, nor do they have a national following.

2/4 is a pretty good number for a baseball batting average, but it's not great as a BB FT%. I have no idea if it is enough. For the B1G, it may matter more that they have AAU status than having a good FB program.

ku is 2/4 of what B1G wants:

1) Good football (Hey, they had a good year in 2007)
2) Good basketball
3) Good academics. (They are an AAU school and that has been minimum tables stakes for B1G in the past.)
4) If they are smart - and we know they are - they want to add new B1G fans. kansas just doesn't have a very large population, nor do they have a national following.

2/4 is a pretty good number for a baseball batting average, but it's not great as a BB FT%. I have no idea if it is enough. For the B1G, it may matter more that they have AAU status than having a good FB program.
Well....they could come after TAMU and ya'll, which I believe is what ya'll originally wanted....and I wouldn't blame you for taking an offer from the Big Ten. I was just trying to give Kansas a pass with their basketball ability and the Big Ten is still as much a basketball conference as it is a football conference.

I didn't fail to mention Mizzou because I had forgotten about them.

I am told it will be a nine game SEC conference schedule, so you can still play Clemson and Georgia can play Georgia Tech and Florida can play Florida State.
That scenario seriously screws UK, SC, UGa and UF. A 9-Game SEC schedule with a P5 Rivalry Game to end the regular season. That's ten P5 games EVERY YEAR.

No way do I see any other SEC teams inflicting that kind of torture on themselves.

I think the case for the 9-Game schedule has been overblown anyway. None of the coaches want it. Which means the ADs probably don't want it. Adding two more teams to the conference adds 8 more games to the regular season. Getting ESPN/Disney 64 regular season games, plus a conference championship. That's enough to justify the extra money that the SEC would get.

Gamecockben1979, WADR, I TOTALLY DISAGREE!! While you are certainly welcome to your own opinion, and while I would certainly fight FOR YOU for such, I cannot think of a worse move for us to rejoin the acc other than simply ceasing all athletics and flushing our Athletic Department. In fact, if such an ignorant occurrence WERE to take place, as-God-as my witness I would WALK AWAY from The University of South Carolina both as a fan AND proud alumnus.

Gaimcock
USC Grad 1989
No disrespect taken. I know not everyone will agree with that feeling but I also see how our rivals cakewalk into the national title discussion by beating a schedule mostly of unranked teams.

Gaimcock
USC Grad 1989
Golly, is the SEC that much of a big deal to you? I mean, I enjoy the SEC too, but I don't think I'd throw the university away on account of conference affiliation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT