ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder who people think of when they think of South

Stupid?
At number 44, South Carolina is listed as having a "low education level and Low Income.
Out of 50 states, South Carolina ranked at number 44.
Let's get real here...the reason southern states rank lower is due to large number of Africian Americans who do not put education as a priority in their households.

Measure the test scores of the upstate schools vs the midlands for example.

Riverside High vs Orangeburg Wilkinson High in Math/Science/Reading Comprehension. (then look at your demographics of the schools)

Likewise, when you start measuring nationally, states that have the lowest levels of minority populations, test scores go higher.

I will take the top students at Riverside, Byrnes, JL Mann, Dorman and put them up against top students in Wisconsin, Minnesota or Metro Seattle, or Silicon Valley.

Chinese and Indian students are now scoring much higher than White students. Why is that? IMO, Chinese and Indian students families have an expectation to excell acamdemically. (demand it).

White Americans send their kids to baseball camps, cheerleading camps, while Chinese and Indian families send their kids to Computer Camps, Music Camps, and Academic type summer programs.

and speaking of income levels....

it's all relative...if you live in NYC, you need to make 15K per month to live well....in Greenville, SC, you can live well on 8K per month.

I could go on and on..but why bother...you know why things are they way they are!!!!!

I may be in a minority, but I'd swap all that money for less traffic, noise, litter and ill-bred yankees clogging up all the infrastructure any day of the week.

I’m with you!

Let's get real here...the reason southern states rank lower is due to large number of Africian Americans who do not put education as a priority in their households.

Measure the test scores of the upstate schools vs the midlands for example.

Riverside High vs Orangeburg Wilkinson High in Math/Science/Reading Comprehension. (then look at your demographics of the schools)

Likewise, when you start measuring nationally, states that have the lowest levels of minority populations, test scores go higher.

I will take the top students at Riverside, Byrnes, JL Mann, Dorman and put them up against top students in Wisconsin, Minnesota or Metro Seattle, or Silicon Valley.

Chinese and Indian students are now scoring much higher than White students. Why is that? IMO, Chinese and Indian students families have an expectation to excell acamdemically. (demand it).

White Americans send their kids to baseball camps, cheerleading camps, while Chinese and Indian families send their kids to Computer Camps, Music Camps, and Academic type summer programs.

and speaking of income levels....

it's all relative...if you live in NYC, you need to make 15K per month to live well....in Greenville, SC, you can live well on 8K per month.

I could go on and on..but why bother...you know why things are they way they are!!!!!

Well put.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
The problem is, some move here and bring their blue state stupidity with them. My neighborhood always has a Christmas party with Santa for the kids. A jersey lib moved in and started raising hell about it, saying that it wasn't appropriate. Thankfully, her whining was ignored.
Let me guess " we dont do it like this in Jersey ".

Ayyyyye it's the racist again! You're a real work of art, aren't you? Jesus. Please tell me you are 60+ because if you are not I am very worried about you.

Reactions: funktavious
That's how the left works. They obsess over skin color and use any random incident to push their sheeple minions to believe that it defines the entire state or even the entire nation. It's all they think about. Perpetual victim hood. Racism is the cause of all problems and the government, specifically leftist and their policies, are the ONLY answer.

The answer this time is a guy who voted against busing in the 70s, voted for the Clinton crime bill and completely dismissed Anita Hill in the 90s, was surprised that Obama was "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" in the 2000s, and decided he defines who is black and who isn't based on whether or not they supported him or not just and lied about being endorsed by the NAACP just A WEEK AGO.

How utterly stupid to you have to believe that guy is the race savior of America? RollLaugh

Of course, Ralph Northam is still the governor of Virginia, despite putting his college yearbook page showing him in blackface with a hooded Klan member, so obviously, just as with sexual harassment with Biden, the racism rules don't apply to Democrats.

Spot on brother, spot on!

Ayyyyye it's the racist again! You're a real work of art, aren't you? Jesus. Please tell me you are 60+ because if you are not I am very worried about you.
I’m not sure that I would have posted that, but stating facts isn’t racist. I don’t know why, but minority schools in general do tend to score lower in testing. That’s easily proven, so it’s not racist to make that statement. The top 3 high schools in the state are Mayo, Academic Magnet, and Charleston School of arts, and they are all majority whites. The bottom 3 are Eau Claire, McCormic and Birchwood. All majority blacks. I think this doesn’t need to be ignored, it needs to be addressed and fixed. Everyone is too afraid of beling labeled a racist if they say anything so the status quo just continues.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that I would have posted that, but stating facts isn’t racist. I don’t know why, but minority schools in general do tend to score lower in testing. That’s easily proven, so it’s not racist to make that statement.
I'll just say that by completely ignoring all other factors and blaming the poor performance of public schools primarily on black culture is pretty crappy.

I'll just say that by completely ignoring all other factors and blaming the poor performance of public schools primarily on black culture is pretty crappy.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not blaming the culture and certainly not saying that blacks aren’t as smart, I’m simply stating facts. It is because I know that blacks have equal potential if given the chance that I think something needs to be addressed to see that they reach their potential.

Reactions: hillstosea

There is some truth to that. There are other factors. But in the end, when you look at a lot of problems with today's youth, it all starts at home, no matter what color you are or what neighborhood you live in. The single parent home epidemic hurts a kid's chances, regardless of race.

There is some truth to that. There are other factors. But in the end, when you look at a lot of problems with today's youth, it all starts at home, no matter what color you are or what neighborhood you live in. The single parent home epidemic hurts a kid's chances, regardless of race.
Nobody is arguing that.

You should care very much what people think about South Carolina. If most don't have a positive view that can effect how major business decide if the climate (not weather) is conductive for expansion.
Image and perception matter a great deal. I would hope most residents want to be viewed positively around the country
Concerning economy,SC must be well thought of. Lot of business has relocated here. Concerning my state personally, I love it,warts and all

They think multiple things. That SC is a bunch of racists. They think SC has great golf and beaches. They also think SC folks are nice and friendly. They also think SC folks are stupid. SC pretty much has good and bad. I remember going to elementary school in SC and having to drive through a KKK rally. I also remember SC helping send assistance to states in need. It’s like everywhere you go. Good and bad. I remember living up north were I heard more racist comments than I ever heard in south and I also remember living up North where people helped each other in 9/11.

They think multiple things. That SC is a bunch of racists. They think SC has great golf and beaches. They also think SC folks are nice and friendly. They also think SC folks are stupid. SC pretty much has good and bad. I remember going to elementary school in SC and having to drive through a KKK rally. I also remember SC helping send assistance to states in need. It’s like everywhere you go. Good and bad. I remember living up north were I heard more racist comments than I ever heard in south and I also remember living up North where people helped each other in 9/11.

all you say is correct... the rub is when people from the south tell northerners to stay out... it shows ignorance and no ability to see the big picture for people relocating from the north to the south
.... and some, painting a picture for them will never convince them. they will have to deal with it, it aint going away

I’m not sure that I would have posted that, but stating facts isn’t racist. I don’t know why, but minority schools in general do tend to score lower in testing. That’s easily proven, so it’s not racist to make that statement. The top 3 high schools in the state are Mayo, Academic Magnet, and Charleston School of arts, and they are all majority whites. The bottom 3 are Eau Claire, McCormic and Birchwood. All majority blacks. I think this doesn’t need to be ignored, it needs to be addressed and fixed. Everyone is too afraid of beling labeled a racist if they say anything so the status quo just continues.
It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with income inequality. Kids that grow up in poverty areas tend to place less emphasis on education which is a shame because they need it more that most but it is hard to put it in a kid's head what they need. Go in some poor white communities and look at those kids test scores and you will find much the same. Poor families are generally broken families and have many more single parents and that also plays a factor on kids getting their education.

In 33 years of teaching, coaching and administration, I saw alot good and bad.
If I had a dollar for every student that received a "Certificate for 12 years of Attendance", I could take a trip to the Caribbean. I saw this at Elite schools, as well as a district that the State Dept. of Education took over for a year or two.
These kids walked at Graduation, got their picture in the paper with other students and sent out invitations, but did not actually graduate (saved them from embarrassment). Some got their State Certifications in Cosmetology, Welding, or became a certified car mechanic; and really did not care about actually getting a Diploma. These students, along with others get a Diploma from Adult Ed. or a local Tech school at a later date. These students are not part of the graduating class in reports to SC State Dept. of Ed. and District Board of Trustees. They were Non-Gradates
Their race did not guide them to not get a Diploma, their home environment was the factor. In comparing race/ethnicity, all were white or black.
All the Asian, European, Indian and Latino kids were never in this group. They worked hard and were in the Seniors that got all the Scholarships.
Most of this last group had bad environments at home, but still had focus and drive to excel. An opportunity for a good life in the U.S. were their dreams.

Last edited:
all you say is correct... the rub is when people from the south tell northerners to stay out... it shows ignorance and no ability to see the big picture for people relocating from the north to the south
.... and some, painting a picture for them will never convince them. they will have to deal with it, it aint going away
There are Northerners who do the same thing. In fact, I would be willing to bet that people in every state have have reservations about people relocating to their states.

I’m not sure that I would have posted that, but stating facts isn’t racist. I don’t know why, but minority schools in general do tend to score lower in testing.

That's not what the poster said--the poster said black people hold education to a lower degree, thus they do bad in school. This is SO ****ed up that I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it. You say you "don't know why," minority schools in general score worse on testing... well, bud, the reality is that there's about 100 reason minority kids do poorly on standardized tests, but the main reason isn't that black people don't care about their education.

Exactly.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not blaming the culture and certainly not saying that blacks aren’t as smart, I’m simply stating facts.

But you are literally defending a guy who JUST SAID THAT.

You should care very much what people think about South Carolina. If most don't have a positive view that can effect how major business decide if the climate (not weather) is conductive for expansion.
Image and perception matter a great deal. I would hope most residents want to be viewed positively around the country
Expansion has destroyed Charleston. Northerners do bring a lot of money to the area. They do not have a positive impact on the quality of life in the area.

Never said it wasn’t a nice place, people do want to move here , taxes and weather make it nice , but to tell northerners to stay away is backwards , they bring tons of tax money to the state, spend money , contribute , not to mention create jobs through opening businesses.. it’s a win win for everyone ... backward would be to shun northerners who relocate to the south .. it’s a good sound bite for the few ignorant .. but makes no sense , if you desire the state economy to grow
There are plenty of places a South Carolinian can move to if they desire a stronger economy. There are a lot of them who post on this message board. Growth hasn't improved the quality of life here imo.

Money and quality of life don't always go hand in hand.

It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with income inequality. Kids that grow up in poverty areas tend to place less emphasis on education which is a shame because they need it more that most but it is hard to put it in a kid's head what they need. Go in some poor white communities and look at those kids test scores and you will find much the same. Poor families are generally broken families and have many more single parents and that also plays a factor on kids getting their education.

To add on to that - poor families are typically in poor areas and school resources (revenue) mostly comes from local property taxes. So the poor never get a fair shake.

I've always said that only way to fix the inequality of the system is to put all the property tax revenue from the state that would go to the local schools in one pot and distribute it equally amongst the schools. It's the only way to bring the entire state up on the education scale.

To add on to that - poor families are typically in poor areas and school resources (revenue) mostly comes from local property taxes. So the poor never get a fair shake.

I've always said that only way to fix the inequality of the system is to put all the property tax revenue from the state that would go to the local schools in one pot and distribute it equally amongst the schools. It's the only way to bring the entire state up on the education scale.
My wife teaches in one of those lower socioeconomic areas. The free education is there for the taking. A lot of people take it and many do not. That's their choice. I know the reasons people don't value an education and it is not tax revenue. It is due to the lack of a solid family structure. But evenly dividing tax revenue earmarked for education is not a bad idea.

Well here in the City of ATL you can see this in the government schools the City runs. Some of the mostly white Northside schools are very good because the parents are very involved; many volunteer in the schools and the PTA raises $100,000's to buy nice things for the school and fund special programs. Down in the hood the City spends the same per student but the test scores do not compare. Poorer people, single parent households, mostly on free lunch, gang activity, no parental involvement, no PTA money. Most of these people are black, I do not believe that their kids are dumb, obviously education is not a high priority for most of their parents.

My daughter's private school gave scholarships to mostly black kids so they could compete in sports, these kids were from very poor backgrounds but were very smart and had parents who worked hard to get them in the private school. How well kids do in government schools mostly comes down to parental involvement.

Last edited:
That's not what the poster said--the poster said black people hold education to a lower degree, thus they do bad in school. This is SO ****ed up that I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it. You say you "don't know why," minority schools in general score worse on testing... well, bud, the reality is that there's about 100 reason minority kids do poorly on standardized tests, but the main reason isn't that black people don't care about their education.

Exactly.

But you are literally defending a guy who JUST SAID THAT.
The only thing I defended are the facts
The only thing I defended were the facts, not his reasoning as to why the facts are what they are.

As for the statement that it has nothing to do with color but all to do with economics, I will agree that has a lot to do with it, but color still plays a significant factor. Maybe the race factor is the reason for the lower socioeconomic status? Surely it is multifactorial, but race and economics top that list, and I’d love for you to prove me wrong.

The only thing I defended are the facts

The only thing I defended were the facts, not his reasoning as to why the facts are what they are.

As for the statement that it has nothing to do with color but all to do with economics, I will agree that has a lot to do with it, but color still plays a significant factor. Maybe the race factor is the reason for the lower socioeconomic status? Surely it is multifactorial, but race and economics top that list, and I’d love for you to prove me wrong.
How much do you think test scores would rise if we pumped 2 BILLION into Orangeburg Wilkinson High School alone? Throwing more money at schools that are majority minority will not solve any problems, hiring better qualified teachers will not solve the problem, busing students in to more predominately whites schools will not solve the problem...

My question is to those who disagree with anything I've said, what will solve the problem?

Has nothing to do with being racist and everything to do with being a realist. I suggest you quit calling names. And no, I'm not over 60...

Please my friend, look at facts...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT