ADVERTISEMENT

If Clemson gets into the SEC

They will be a conference game in the future. Who would ever thought that possible!

I'm of two minds about this. They get the "sec money", but I'm also convinced their best days are behind them.

An SEC schedule should relegate them to a middling conference team, imo. And their recruiting pitch of playing for titles goes away fast.

Edit: One plus is that I think we're going to a 9 game conference schedule soon. If Clemson is one, we can still schedule 3 winnable games ooc each year.

I'm of two minds about this. They get the "sec money", but I'm also convinced their best days are behind them.

An SEC schedule should relegate them to a middling conference team, imo. And their recruiting pitch of playing for titles goes away fast.

Edit: One plus is that I think we're going to a 9 game conference schedule soon. If Clemson is one, we can still schedule 3 winnable games ooc each year.

Yeah at the end of the day we are better off with them in the SEC at this point but it makes the last 15 years worthless because they excelled while we were stunted by the strength of the SEC.

At the risk of being called "Lurker", I say you were spot on, my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123
This year's class looks good for them, but the last couple years they did take a step back.

I believe part of their recruiting success comes from selling a pathway to the playoffs. If they were suddenly be the 5th place SEC team, I wonder if their recruiting would suffer.

Can't know for sure, just a feeling I have that might be influenced by wishful thinking.

Reactions: gamecock stock
This year's class looks good for them, but the last couple years they did take a step back.

I believe part of their recruiting success comes from selling a pathway to the playoffs. If they were suddenly be the 5th place SEC team, I wonder if their recruiting would suffer.

Can't know for sure, just a feeling I have that might be influenced by wishful thinking.
Not wishful thinking at all. Their recruiting pitch to recruits to come to CU and have a really good chance to make the playoffs and potentially play for the national championship is a huge selling point, imho.

My take is that should Clemson become an SEC member, I don't see the anticipated drop off most are suggesting. If they at present time are consistently pulling down great recruiting classes , joining the SEC would only solidify the recruiting prowess.

Reactions: Bassslayer
Not wishful thinking at all. Their recruiting pitch to recruits to come to CU and have a really good chance to make the playoffs and potentially play for the national championship is a huge selling point, imho.
Bingo. Beamer further behind the eight ball.

My take is that should Clemson become an SEC member, I don't see the anticipated drop off most are suggesting. If they at present time are consistently pulling down great recruiting classes , joining the SEC would only solidify the recruiting prowess.

I certainly understand that reasoning. I just see losses adding up for them. They will lose more often. Maybe not being the big bully of a conference will make them less appealing?

As I said, it's certainly influenced by wishful thinking on my part.

Clemson entering the SEC would have once been us bad news for us on the recruiting front.

However, now that moneyball is in full steam, it becomes less of an issue.

If you willing to pay a player $50K more to play, they'll most likely swing your way.

Clemson entering the SEC would have once been us bad news for us on the recruiting front.

However, now that moneyball is in full steam, it becomes less of an issue.

If you willing to pay a player $50K more to play, they'll most likely swing your way.
The Tigers have more money than the gamecocks I’m thinking.

Here's Ole Miss trying to throw money at a relatively pedestrian QB as a 3rd-4th string backup. Imagine what they are paying their top guys.

Here's the NIKE founder ready to throw as much money as possible to get a title before he departs. He can do this because college football has become totally unregulated.

Here's our new SEC member Texas offering a 4-star QB in the 2026 class offering a $9.2 million deal. Meanwhile, Texas's coach is steeped in double-talk and deflecting.

From 2015-2020 (Muschamp's last season)., Clemson finished in the Top 4 each season. They have not finished in the Top 10 in the past 3 seasons. Last year, they finished 20th in the nation. Supposedly, their defense will be VERY good. If so, and they have any kind of offense.....YIKES!!!

They are this year, yeah. I thought a couple years prior they were dropping off.

I looked it up. They have a small class for 2025 and it's currently ranked 20. Granted, that will change. But I wonder if they aren't feeling some of the same NIL paind.

I looked it up. They have a small class for 2025 and it's currently ranked 20. Granted, that will change. But I wonder if they aren't feeling some of the same NIL paind.
The same site that has the gamecocks at 38th. Subject to change depending upon how much money you have left.

Here's our new SEC member Texas offering a 4-star QB in the 2026 class offering a $9.2 million deal. Meanwhile, Texas's coach is steeped in double-talk and deflecting.

I’m about done with this nonsense. I loved college athletics. Looking forward, the money will kill the fan’s interest. There will be no connection between the fans and the players. Hell, there’s not much now.

I’m about done with this nonsense. I loved college athletics. Looking forward, the money will kill the fan’s interest. There will be no connection between the fans and the players. Hell, there’s not much now.
A cap is inevitable. I was around and remember when unlimited number of scholarships could be given out. The wealthy schools could do that. NIL is no different. No cap will, as you indicate, kill college athletics. I'm surprised it has not yet been done. Not sure what they are waiting on.

A cap is inevitable. I was around and remember when unlimited number of scholarships could be given out. The wealthy schools could do that. NIL is no different. No cap will, as you indicate, kill college athletics. I'm surprised it has not yet been done. Not sure what they are waiting on.

Not only a cap, but the unlimited transfer must be addressed. Make the guys sit out a year and a lot of poaching will go away. Not all, but a lot, imo.

Not only a cap, but the unlimited transfer must be addressed. Make the guys sit out a year and a lot of poaching will go away. Not all, but a lot, imo.
I totally agree with you. Is that legal? Maybe a lawyer on this site can address.

Everything in this country is currently going backwards and that includes college football. I'm hopeful there will be significant alterations to the system in 2025 after this election cycle.

Also, most coaches want to downplay their involvement in buying players to the public because it degrades their worth. Credit to the ones who lay it all out there.

Everything in this country is currently going backwards and that includes college football. I'm hopeful there will be significant alterations to the system in 2025 after this election cycle.

You want politicians and the government to "fix" college football for you so that it fits your personal views? That's odd as hell for a right winger to post.

How exactly is that going to happen 1) Under the law? 2) under common sense?

Numerous states, including right wing states - as well as numerous right wing politicians-are on the record paving the way for college athletes to make as much money as possible (and high school athletes in some cases).

Reactions: gamecock stock
You want politicians and the government to "fix" college football for you so that it fits your personal views? That's odd as hell for a right winger to post.

Numerous states, including right wing states - as well as numerous right wing politicians-are on the record paving the way for college athletes to make as much money as possible (and high school athletes in some cases).
The NCAA can handle this, if they want. No need to get the government involved.

The NCAA can handle this, if they want. No need to get the government involved.

The Supreme Court ruling gave pretty good insight into what they'd allow and what they wouldn't.

The NCAA is beholden to a few conferences and those conferences have no real reason to mess around with things.

Dave, they are doing this because the idiots opened the floodgates so they are trying to capitalize on the crazy system at large until it changes. Isn't this self-evident that this point?

Imagine if the New England Patriots said to their fans following a Super Bowl that they needed to raise $250mil (avg. team salary) in order to retain their team again for the following season?

The entire industry is discussing a cap, open portal issues, and reigning in this unfair play nonsense. You're just not going to hear it on MSM.

I can't believe there's still old-timers using the "right-winger" phrase? Would that be Biden because he's pro-war, pro-corporations, pro-cenorship, pro-mandates, pro-pharma, pro-illegal immigration and so on? Both Kennedy and Trump are far more left than what is happening in DC with the anti-Democratic Party. Any remaining Biden supporters are very slow on the uptake.

You're confusing misguided/corrupt policy with those taking advantage of misguided policy. The disconnect between progressive ideology and its real-world outcomes has become increasingly apparent and troubling. This includes what has happened to college football. The silent majority seems to be paying attention now. I expect change in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT