ADVERTISEMENT

If Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen isn't our next President at USC

I support Caslen, but the objectors have more qualified candidates, they say, You know, I bet most of them would support someone with more experience, someone who the media portrays as honorable, ethical, compassionate, and a woman to boot, Checks all the PC boxes. How many of the objectors to Caslen would support Hillary Clinton as our next President. The sad thing is - you know the vast majority of them would be delighted. People need to wake up and cut off the liars and phoneys on CNN and MSNBC. I know a lot of you disagree, but if you want the truth you should watch Fox or you won`t know what the truth is. I don`t always agree with them but at least they tell the entire story and not just what fits a narrative like the other "news" groups.

This post is so outrageous I don't even know where to start. FOX News is the only one telling the truth??? It would be laugable if it wasn't so sad.

The true issue is why is Caslen being force fed to USC?

Seriously, McMaster is involved and crossing lines and he's doing so as a political favor. He's admitted that he doesn't know Caslen. McMaster is scratching someone's back, and it's not Caslen's.

So, is it Trump or is it someone else? Either way, you are looking at our governor doing a favor for someone, and ultimately that favor will be returned to our governor, not USC. That favor puts our University at risk, because this guy may not be qualified or have the best interests of our beloved university at heart. Finally, our University will get nothing for this favor, unless Caslen does a good job. Meanwhile, regardless of how it affects our University, the govermor gets his favor repaid.

So, to all of the people that are blindly following party allegiances in supporting this decision, wake up. Are you really willing to risk USC's future over blindly trusting this guy that half the Board doesn't want? The only reason Caslen's still in consideration is because of who his friends are.

The true issue is why is Caslen being force fed to USC?

Seriously, McMaster is involved and crossing lines and he's doing so as a political favor. He's admitted that he doesn't know Caslen. McMaster is scratching someone's back, and it's not Caslen's.

So, is it Trump or is it someone else? Either way, you are looking at our governor doing a favor for someone, and ultimately that favor will be returned to our governor, not USC. That favor puts our University at risk, because this guy may not be qualified or have the best interests of our beloved university at heart. Finally, our University will get nothing for this favor, unless Caslen does a good job. Meanwhile, regardless of how it affects our University, the govermor gets his favor repaid.

So, to all of the people that are blindly following party allegiances in supporting this decision, wake up. Are you really willing to risk USC's future over blindly trusting this guy that half the Board doesn't want? The only reason Caslen's still in consideration is because of who his friends are.

To think that Trump is somehow involved here is a big stretch. Really don't think he cares much about USCs next president.

And Caslen has had the BOT votes needed more than once. So, believing that half the BOT is opposed isn't all that accurate either. It's more like a small handful of board members that are pushing back here. They apparently have a loud microphone, and are whipping up a segment of the student body to get their way.

With the Governor's meddling today's State paper says USC could lose accreditation.

The writer of the article got a verification of that possibility from the President of the accrediting body for USC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Belle Wheelen. This could get nasty. It's time for the BOT to back off. If we get our chops busted on this matter, we may as well put the lock and key on the Horseshoe Gates.

Prolly the same that was knocking on Muschamp when we hired him

That’s what worries me.

But I don’t care if Caslan is picked (although I think it will create a huge mess). My issue is the governor picking our President for us.

If alums like me don’t care about the right process, we can just let the office of governor pick our President and even coaches and professors going forward. If the process isn’t worth anything, throw it out and let the governor select everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art__Vandelay
That’s what worries me.

But I don’t care if Caslan is picked (although I think it will create a huge mess). My issue is the governor picking our President for us.

If alums like me don’t care about the right process, we can just let the office of governor pick our President and even coaches and professors going forward. If the process isn’t worth anything, throw it out and let the governor select everyone.
Yeah, if you want to set the bar you have to hire the best available in the nation. Stop taking the easy route

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
To think that Trump is somehow involved here is a big stretch. Really don't think he cares much about USCs next president.

And Caslen has had the BOT votes needed more than once. So, believing that half the BOT is opposed isn't all that accurate either. It's more like a small handful of board members that are pushing back here. They apparently have a loud microphone, and are whipping up a segment of the student body to get their way.

It's the internet, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I read that there is a Trump connection. That's why I said is it or if not, who is it? It's clear that there is an external influence pushing him.

Additionally, the latest report from the Post & Courier is say 11-9 in favor of him. That's nearly half that oppose him.

Truth is, I don't consider myself qualified to choose a University President. I have no clue if he would be good or not. However, I do understand politics and know the way these things work. If this is the best person, I apologize, but the totality of the evidence leads me to believe this is a politically driven decision that is ****ing with the University that I love.

We should hire Davis Baird. He was Dean of the usc honors college up until about 2009. He wanted the provost job but got passed up for Amaritis who was the engineering dean. He's been provost of a private research college up in Boston.

The BOT is mostly made up of political cronies; I hardly think they have USC's best interest at heart.

I do not have anything against the General. I was a Marine Officer for 8 years and I have respect for all branches of the military except the Navy (ok, I like the Navy too). I just do not see where leading an academy translates to leading a large research university. Two completely different skill sets. We need a President with experience and focus on fundraising and athletic excellence (which helps bring in more funds and better students). Leading the USMA requires little in the way of fundraising and the athletics there are not a major focus.

Leadership is important, playing politics is important, the General is probably good in these areas.

THIS is the answer. Not knocking the general at all, but I'm not sure the skill set he has translates to leading a tier 1 research institute. It's pretty hard to see how someone without a PhD or research experience or experience getting tenure is supposed to lead a University full of those types and get them to do what he needs them to do.

To keep the military connection up, it would be like getting a great fighter pilot to lead a platoon of of tanks. It can probably be done, but may not be the best fit.

I support Caslen, but the objectors have more qualified candidates, they say, You know, I bet most of them would support someone with more experience, someone who the media portrays as honorable, ethical, compassionate, and a woman to boot, Checks all the PC boxes. How many of the objectors to Caslen would support Hillary Clinton as our next President. The sad thing is - you know the vast majority of them would be delighted. People need to wake up and cut off the liars and phoneys on CNN and MSNBC. I know a lot of you disagree, but if you want the truth you should watch Fox or you won`t know what the truth is. I don`t always agree with them but at least they tell the entire story and not just what fits a narrative like the other "news" groups.

This is silly. NO ONE would support Hillary Clinton for President of USC. She doesn't have the skill set. Fox News is every bit as biased as CNN... Try the AP news network if you want unbiased.

I am surprised that nobody within the University system was being groomed for this position. It is kind of embarrassing that we are having this much trouble filling the position with an experienced academic leader.

Sometimes it's good to have someone from inside the University take over for obvious reasons. BUT it's also important to bring in new people from outside to avoid things getting stale.

Caslen was in line for a job in DOD and was not approved. It may not be Trump but this has GOP handout written over it.

This is silly. NO ONE would support Hillary Clinton for President of USC. She doesn't have the skill set. Fox News is every bit as biased as CNN... Try the AP news network if you want unbiased.
Exactly; I like Hillary and voted for her, but I don't want any politician or political operative as USC President. The President of a large, level 1 research university needs experience in academia. If Caslen gets hired, it will be a disaster for hiring and retaining quality professors and researchers.

Reactions: mavcock and USC2USC
Exactly; I like Hillary and voted for her, but I don't want any politician or political operative as USC President. The President of a large, level 1 research university needs experience in academia. If Caslen gets hired, it will be a disaster for hiring and retaining quality professors and researchers.

What are the chances that there is a walkout the first week of school?

Why would anyone wanting such a job take it under these circumstances knowing his hiring will severely divide the school?

Why would anyone decent want a politician essentially forcing the board to put him into the position with everyone knowing how he got the job? That would be a terrible way to take a job like USC or a supervisor job at the local plant.

Last edited:
What are the chances that there is a walkout the first week of school?

Why would anyone wanting such a job take it under these circumstances k owing his hiring will severely divide the school?

Why would anyone decent want a politician essentially forcing the board to put him into the position with everyone knowing how he got the job? That would be a terrible way to take a job like USC or a supervisor job at the local plant.

Exactly right. If he even wants the job under these circumstances, that worries me plenty.

What does the job pay? Maybe if it paid more $$$ we could attract someone who is a better fit. The retiring President of GA Tech makes $1.5 million a year...

Just go ahead and hire the janitor. He knows where all the bathrooms are, where the best coffee is and is not a general so all of the butt-hurt snowflakes won't get upset.

Yes they are. They are putting politics above what is best for our University.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT