ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing Liberty Bowl for us and playing

I saw on bleacher reports a comment from the same guy who broke the Beamer hire that if a bowl was offered SC wouldn’t accept it so they could turn the page . I think this would be best .

I have to agree. Unlikely Beamer would have his new staff fully in place and the old staff members who are not being retained will be moving on already. So not sure we could have a proper coaching staff in place for the game.

Now, I guess the thing which could change this is if the SEC needs us to go to a bowl to fulfill their obligations. With fewer bowls this year and every 12 teams ahead of us in the pecking order, I don’t really see why they would need us.

I have to agree. Unlikely Beamer would have his new staff fully in place and the old staff members who are not being retained will be moving on already. So not sure we could have a proper coaching staff in place for the game.

Now, I guess the thing which could change this is if the SEC needs us to go to a bowl to fulfill their obligations. With fewer bowls this year and every 12 teams ahead of us in the pecking order, I don’t really see why they would need us.
Probably because there are so many bowls and a lot of teams are simply not playing. We may stand a good chance to be invited to a non-affiliated bowl. I'm not sure the SEC would allow us to turn one down.

Last edited:
So now we have fans that can’t stand players quitting on the team, but perfectly fine for the university to basically tell the players “ we appreciate you guys that hung in there and gave it everything they had, but no reward at the end for you “?
Some of y’all on this board are morons. If the players want to play then they should be the ones to make the call

I’d we go to a bowl, how many players would opt out for fear of injury which would hurt their chances in the combine? The precedence has been set.

Reactions: The Gadfly
I saw on bleacher reports a comment from the same guy who broke the Beamer hire that if a bowl was offered SC wouldn’t accept it so they could turn the page . I think this would be best .
I’ve come to agree with this. A couple of weeks ago, I was all for a bowl, but yeah; this season just needs to be in the rear view at this point.

NO, you don't get rewarded for going 2-8.
And, to think some used to complain about 6-6 teams going to bowl.

I want this football season over for the Gamecocks but what I was saying is maybe it could be a reward for the team. Remember this is 2020 and the Gamecock coach got fired which affected a lot of players and in fact there were four or five players that opted out. That was all I'm trying to convey. If it would be fun for the players then I would be for it but that is the only reason I would be for going to a bowl.

One other reason is that the players that are currently still on the team decided they would represent the Gamecocks and when out and played in an under manned squad. They gave it their all!

My gut reaction to this is "Oh, Hell NO!" But Beamer might want the practices. Will he have enough staff in place?

Last edited:
I’ve come to agree with this. A couple of weeks ago, I was all for a bowl, but yeah; this season just needs to be in the rear view at this point.

Agreed . Imagine the optics if Beamer took a team that is obviously in Turmoil and tried to throw something together and we get obliterated. Not a good look . I think at this point we need to stick a fork in this season and look to next year

Well, maybe this could be viewed as some type of reward for the players for all the turmoil they have been through this year.
Wait until the bowl rolls around if we end up going to one. I bet what you see won't look anything like players who've felt like they've been rewarded.

Gives you a different way of thinking about "How 'bout them Cocks"

USCALUMNI

JollyReadyAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: uscalumni
Never turn down more practices. It could be treated as an extra spring practice for Beamer. Don't worry about what actually happens during the game itself. Get a head start on next year. The process in which he wants to do things can be started.

Reactions: rogue cock
Never turn down more practices. It could be treated as an extra spring practice for Beamer. Don't worry about what actually happens during the game itself. Get a head start on next year. The process in which he wants to do things can be started.

Interesting viewpoint.

How is Beamer going to conduct extra practices in the next 3-4 weeks, when he doesn't have his staff in place.
If there were to be any practices from this point on till the end of the year, it would probably have to be the current staff.
It would be lubricous to expect a new staff to implement it's own system in a 3 week time frame.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
How is Beamer going to conduct extra practices in the next 3-4 weeks, when he doesn't have his staff in place.
If there were to be any practices from this point on till the end of the year, it would probably have to be the current staff.
It would be lubricous to expect a new staff to implement it's own system in a 3 week time frame.
Not exactly sure what you are expecting them to implement, but this isn't Baylor or Penn State.

I want this football season over for the Gamecocks but what I was saying is maybe it could be a reward for the team. Remember this is 2020 and the Gamecock coach got fired which affected a lot of players and in fact there were four or five players that opted out. That was all I'm trying to convey. If it would be fun for the players then I would be for it but that is the only reason I would be for going to a bowl.

One other reason is that the players that are currently still on the team decided they would represent the Gamecocks and when out and played in an under manned squad. They gave it their all!
Several teams had players opt out this season, so this is hardly a consideration to go to a bowl. If you're going to apply the reward for the team that tried and their coach got fired, then you might as well throw in Vandy as well.

I don't want to get in a back and forth with you, but I just don't believe a low level team deserves to go to a bowl game. And, the unflinching truth is that a 2-8 team is low level regardless of your allegiances to that school.

Reactions: trekcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT