ADVERTISEMENT

Jalin Hyatt

I dont think it's a coincidence Tenn got Hyatt after taking Thompson after we dropped

While I wouldn't dispute that your response may explain his interest in UT, it doesn't address why UofSC (God!I hate that) or Quempson didn't offer nor, the minimal interest shown by SEC schools for a 4 Star WR.

I admit, I initially missed the Duke & Wake offers but, Ga, GT, UNC, NCSU, FSU, Vandy, QU and UofSC are a lot, of closer to home Power 5 schools, that didn't even offer a 4 Star. And that is my point, so many 'nearbys' that didn't even offer.

Just saying, that seems a little out of sync, to me, considering the numerous offers from the more distant schools cited in my original post.

Last edited:
Do any of you know what it is like to run with and without pads? What good is a 4.28 if you are too scrawny to duplicate it with pads on? And he needs work with his hands. Negative ghost rider. You either have hands or you don't at this stage.
disagree. You can do plenty to make guys better at catching the ball. Some is raw athletic ability/hand eye coordination that you cannot coach, but getting a young player to increase his strength and practice proper technique, tearing up the jugs machine... can dramatically improve someone’s ability to catch, coaching proper route running can improve separation... and I think you are dramatically over exaggerating the impact of wearing pads. They all wear the same gear. Regardless of his size, the speed differential is not that much different for a small guy vs a big guy. If he is that much faster than other WRs/DBs without pads he is IN pads as well.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I certainly, do not know if there is more to the story, in fact, I don't know if there ever was a story to begin with but, I sure will agree that Hyatt has an odd/strange offer profile.

He has offers from Big Name schools from all over the country (Oregon, Michigan, Miami, Penn St, Nebraska, Arkansas) and yet, the home state schools haven't even offered. A 4 Star rated WR and only 4 SEC schools offered? The closest school to home, to offer was Va Tech meaning, no Power 5 school in Ga, SC or NC school offered?

Probably, no story at all but, it is a bit odd without one.
He has some of the best 100 and 200 times in the state. All of the programs that offered him have better track programs than USC or Clemson

disagree. You can do plenty to make guys better at catching the ball. Some is raw athletic ability/hand eye coordination that you cannot coach, but getting a young player to increase his strength and practice proper technique, tearing up the jugs machine... can dramatically improve someone’s ability to catch, coaching proper route running can improve separation... and I think you are dramatically over exaggerating the impact of wearing pads. They all wear the same gear. Regardless of his size, the speed differential is not that much different for a small guy vs a big guy. If he is that much faster than other WRs/DBs without pads he is IN pads as well.
Not sure that last statement is true....as a lot is made of the difference between track speed and football speed. It simply may be that many don't believe he has the body type to add more weight (which he needs) and maintain his speed. From films, I like Caldwell much more than Hyatt...he is a smoother runner and his great hands and has plenty of speed.

If what I heard on Thompson is true, there is no way we should've taken him....and after his issues at UT I feel more comfortable in that statement. And we were by far not the only school who backed off him after his official to us. Kid is a head case.

Reactions: USC1st
When you offer a player get a commitment then dont honor it and the HS coach has to address the media and assure them the player will qualify there is no big issue

It cant sit well with coach and your recruiting future at that school

The coach will probably be grateful to the school that steps up and steer his next best players there

I dont think it's a coincidence Tenn got Hyatt after taking Thompson after we dropped
Some players don't want to play for certain coaches. Taters backed off last year with Hyatt. They were certain they were getting the WRs they wanted. Pickens wanted to play for us, so he picked a school; no matter the coach.
Also, our program does not attract some players because of all the uncertainty about the coaching staff. That could change in 1-5 years.
Until the staff turns things around and shows stability or is fired, it will only get worse. We will win 4-6 games and remain an average team.
Taking a player that wants to play in the SEC, is not always the same as taking a player that CAN play in the SEC. If we can not develop players, we are spinning wheels.
I would love to be very, very wrong. I hope it happens really soon. Dreaming...... 2022 CFP team. It's coming.

Reactions: Cock In Space
When you offer a player get a commitment then dont honor it and the HS coach has to address the media and assure them the player will qualify there is no big issue

It cant sit well with coach and your recruiting future at that school

The coach will probably be grateful to the school that steps up and steer his next best players there

Could it be some College coaches are not warmly welcome in some high schools? I saw it throughout 35 years of coaching in SC. Athletes visit schools that they want to and recruiters work only with the Guidance counselors, not coaches. Ideally coaches are involved and its an "open door policy".
Reputations follows these college coaches. Not up there to see first hand, but we are likely more welcome in Georgia, Alabama and NC than Fla. and SC schools. We will continue to get many SC players, but we need more higher ranked kids from the state. Yes we get 1-2 five strs a year, but everyone is passing us fast.
Historically, the taters have been welcome in schools (not West). Holtz, Woods, Scott, Spurrier had great reputations. I will not guess where Will would fall.

Some players don't want to play for certain coaches. Taters backed off last year with Hyatt. They were certain they were getting the WRs they wanted. Pickens wanted to play for us, so he picked a school; no matter the coach.
Also, our program does not attract some players because of all the uncertainty about the coaching staff. That could change in 1-5 years.
Until the staff turns things around and shows stability or is fired, it will only get worse. We will win 4-6 games and remain an average team.
Taking a player that wants to play in the SEC, is not always the same as taking a player that CAN play in the SEC. If we can not develop players, we are spinning wheels.
I would love to be very, very wrong. I hope it happens really soon. Dreaming...... 2022 CFP team. It's coming.
Evidently, Hyatt dropped EVERYTHING when he attended our camp.....and didn't perform any better at Clemson's. That along with his size caused both schools to pass on him.

Dutch Fork hasn’t produced a prospect that’s matched their ranking yet, as far as P5. I believe their “system “ for one reason or another doesn’t prepare the kids moving forward.
When Knotts was at Independence in Charlotte, I know he had Chris Leake, but don’t recall many ,if any, other ballers.
I looked and Hakeem Nicks is the only other big timer, but not sure if Knotts coached him....also DJ Smith(?)
Knotts also had Mohammad Massaquoi and Joe Cox at Independence. Both played at Georgia.

Reactions: king ward
Hyatt showed out in the Shrine Bowl today. His play, including a 77-yard catch and run TD, provided the spark that led S.C. to a 28-17 victory, our first over N.C. since 2014.

I never thought we utilized Byrd enough. I honestly think he was a 15 TD guy if we would've called the deep ball more. Of course I also think we didn't utilize Saunders and Cook nearly enough either. I watched what Tulsa did with Garrett Mills and often wondered how many records Cook would've broke with that kind of system.
We threw plenty of deep balls to Byrd and he dropped most of them.

The deal with Hyatt can be debated, with some saying that the other guys USC were after are bigger, stronger, or whatever. Maybe the coaching staff gets stuck on that template like a lot of program . Doesnt matter if a kid can play. If he isnt a certain height, weight, speed, they arent interested. But some kids can just make plays. So it is with Hyatt. And outside of Edward's, who is now gone, I didnt see any receivers at USC last year that are a lock for the NFL. Think the staff will be sorry they didnt recruit him.

The deal with Hyatt can be debated, with some saying that the other guys USC were after are bigger, stronger, or whatever. Maybe the coaching staff gets stuck on that template like a lot of program . Doesnt matter if a kid can play. If he isnt a certain height, weight, speed, they arent interested. But some kids can just make plays. So it is with Hyatt. And outside of Edward's, who is now gone, I didnt see any receivers at USC last year that are a lock for the NFL. Think the staff will be sorry they didnt recruit him.
It amazes me that some on here can’t even consider that our staff may have made a mistake here. When I read stuff like “these guys do this for a living” or “our coaches are professionals and make lots of money to make these decisions” it makes me sick.

While I wouldn't dispute that your response may explain his interest in UT, it doesn't address why UofSC (God!I hate that) or Quempson didn't offer nor, the minimal interest shown by SEC schools for a 4 Star WR.

Clemson likes bigger Wide outs, EJ Williams is 6-3 and Ajou Ajou is also 6-3 and raw which made Dabo like him, Clemson has their pick, if they pass on a instate kid, it doesnt mean the player cant play.or isn't the best WR in the carolinas

I was saying the Hyatt is one of the top WR's in the Carolina's his tape is as better then our commits imho and I dont see how we passed based on talent concerns, so I speculated we had some fall out over the Thompson situation with Coach Knotts not that anything would ever be admitted public ally, but i do remember seeing a annoyed/pissed off coach Knotts defending Bryce Thompson in a local media interview, so that would explain why we didnt offer such a good player that could help us.

For Hyatt after he decommitted from VT and committed to Tenn in June he basically shut it down and didnt take any visits, so maybe schools didn't see any enough interest to even offer back when they checked on him.

As far Rouge Cock statement as dropping balls in camp, i never heard that but other WR college coaches can usually fix that and improve players catching, if you watch his game footage, (I still like actually game day performers vs camp warriors), you know the one program that we dont want leap frogging permanently you just got potentially a really good player.

Last edited:
I, certainly, said nothing deserving of your diatribe

You asked a question about my statement, and I expanded further about how it did address your question, wasn't meant to be a diatribe, ( Def of diatribe = a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.)

If you quote my statement, I get a little alert and it gets my interest, so beware I may just respond, not meant to be a bitter verbal attack.

Nice word by the way :)

Last edited:
It amazes me that some on here can’t even consider that our staff may have made a mistake here. When I read stuff like “these guys do this for a living” or “our coaches are professionals and make lots of money to make these decisions” it makes me sick.
Agreed. They have not warranted that kind of unquestioned endorsement up to now.

Fast-forward from 2019 to 2022,

Hyatt, 6 catches, 207 yards, 5 touchdowns, and Tenn Beats Alabama, and is ranked # 3.

The posters who said trust coaches have been proven wrong, just because your a coach does not mean you can evaluate.

Last edited:
Reactions: usc_nc
Fast-forward from 2019 to 2022,

Hyatt, 6 catches, 207 yards, 5 touchdowns, and Tenn Beats Alabama, and is ranked # 3.

The posters who said trust coaches have been proven wrong, just because your a coach does not mean you can evaluate.
you had the usual suspects(Rogue and expro) of dumbassaery in this post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT