ADVERTISEMENT

Liking the Elliott approach

jimnasium

Jun 21, 2001
Bladenboro, NC
I like the idea the he is looking for players who could help on both sides of the ball. Walton getting some looks at RB is a good move. I believe if he is hired we will see a lot of position changes next season because most of these players played both ways in high school and loved it. I remember Jeff Grantz playing QB and a returning kick off for a TD in a game. He also punted...lol. Put'em out there and let them play. Sometimes your best back is a linebacker. Note: I wouldn't put Ski Moore at RB though who'd replace him but y'all catch my drift.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Appreciate Elliot's enthusiasm, but his being hired at this point is a massive long shot. I felt like he needed to win 4, with one of those against Clemson, to even be seriously considered. Had legitimate chances the last two weeks but let it slip away. At this point, figure he needs to win out. Just don't see that happening.

Reactions: goldenspur#
Oh I'm not campaigning for his hiring just making a point that he looks for football players and is not afraid to play a guy both ways to help the team. He's looking for ways to help not just ride out the season. I believe he understands his chances of landing the job are thin without a really big finish.

I do too. But I have to wonder if there is no way Walton could help this defense. As I recall he was an awesome tackler when he was at LB last year. What happened? Was he a passing situation liability? I Think Skai moved to Walton's position.

Appreciate Elliot's enthusiasm, but his being hired at this point is a massive long shot. I felt like he needed to win 4, with one of those against Clemson, to even be seriously considered. Had legitimate chances the last two weeks but let it slip away. At this point, figure he needs to win out. Just don't see that happening.
He still has a chance to win 4 maybe even 5 if we win out & win the bowl. I'm just saying

Go ahead crucify me, but I really like the idea of Sean Elliot being head coach. Love his passion and think it rubs off on the players. Would love to see him get the chance.

Reactions: Tigerof66
I do too. But I have to wonder if there is no way Walton could help this defense. As I recall he was an awesome tackler when he was at LB last year. What happened? Was he a passing situation liability? I Think Skai moved to Walton's position.

Walton still played defense after he scored the td. He doesn't see the field as much as he used to on defense though.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Yep- get ready for the experts to tell you why he would be soo terrible.
I'm no expert but last I checked Elliott is 1-2 as head coach. Close losses are still losses. I love his passion and that he's been a Carolina fan all his life but does that mean he has some type of right to the job? Heck no. I will go ahead and say it. The people on this board that think Elliott is a top candidate and still deserves the head job are the ones that accept mediocrity and moral victories.

His recruiting is his biggest downfall. He hasn't shown he can recruit the best players and we see the players he's signing the past few weeks.

I'm no expert but last I checked Elliott is 1-2 as head coach. Close losses are still losses. I love his passion and that he's been a Carolina fan all his life but does that mean he has some type of right to the job? Heck no. I will go ahead and say it. The people on this board that think Elliott is a top candidate and still deserves the head job are the ones that accept mediocrity and moral victories.
Not to mention his only other experience was a position coach at Appalachian State and his only recruiting "mentor" was Spurrier.

What I see from the Elliott years is guys on our OLine that are getting drafted after underachieving here. Tells me NFL scouts recognize their untapped potential. Still, it's hard to not like Elliott. I just want a clean break with a new guy.

Geez Some of you really don't care about winning by saying you want Elliot as head coach . We need a coach that can recruit eliete players and develop them along with bringing in good coordinators. Elliot doesn't have any connections to do either of those. I like Elliot but it isn't like we have had an dominate O-line the last few years to make you think he is good at developing or evaluating talent.

Go ahead crucify me, but I really like the idea of Sean Elliot being head coach. Love his passion and think it rubs off on the players. Would love to see him get the chance.
We need to look into this Sean Elliott guy if this is how he coaches, but our current interim Shawn Elliott, I don't believe would make for a great head coach right now, but would love to keep him on staff at the very least.

One of the SO called experts this morning on XM College Football made the statement that he knew who the new HC will be at USC and it has been a done deal for 2 weeks but the coach wants to stay at his current school until the bowl season is over. The SO called expert also said that his new staff will be in place the first of December. The other bit of coaching info from this SO called expert was that he is hearing the HC from Kansas St might be retiring at the end of the year and the leading coach will be Clemson's DC who played at Kansas St.

One of the SO called experts this morning on XM College Football made the statement that he knew who the new HC will be at USC and it has been a done deal for 2 weeks but the coach wants to stay at his current school until the bowl season is over. The SO called expert also said that his new staff will be in place the first of December. The other bit of coaching info from this SO called expert was that he is hearing the HC from Kansas St might be retiring at the end of the year and the leading coach will be Clemson's DC who played at Kansas St.
Well, if true, that would certainly rule out Elliott.

Yep- get ready for the experts to tell you why he would be soo terrible.

I'm not an expert but I know he's beaten exactly one team - Vandy. The worst team in the conference. He's also never been a HC, excepting this stretch of games that will likely end with two wins. He's never been a coordinator. His offensive lines haven't exactly blown anyone away. Oh, and he hasn't exactly torn up the recruiting trail.

I guess we'll give him the job because he really, really likes being a gamecock and he's enthusiastic. Okay. Sounds solid.

I also appreciate Elliott's constant positivity. It does no good to rip your players. We all know our weaknesses. Mine is being on this board during work hours. :(

Yes, we certainly don't want to HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS. They may decide they don't want to play.

Yes, we certainly don't want to HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS. They may decide they don't want to play.
I know you say that sarcastically, and I really do appreciate some good sarcasm. But that very thing often happens when players think the coach is a lame duck. When players don't believe in the game plan, they'll take plays off and give lax effort. They'll only run head-first into a brick wall unsuccessfully so many times. That was already happening with HBC. If Elliott can keep them interested and hopeful of a win, he's done his job as interim HC.

But honestly, to even get in the conversation for the permanent HC position, he'd have to win out. Even the eternally optimistic homer Todd Ellis admitted as much on The Game today.

Shawn has done an incredible job. Apparently a lot of posters have forgotten the condition of the team he inherited, and he only had a few days to coach his first game. Sure it was against Vanderbilt, so what? He did an outstanding job against Texas A & M and Tennessee.

I'm not an expert but I know he's beaten exactly one team - Vandy. The worst team in the conference. He's also never been a HC, excepting this stretch of games that will likely end with two wins. He's never been a coordinator. His offensive lines haven't exactly blown anyone away. Oh, and he hasn't exactly torn up the recruiting trail.

I guess we'll give him the job because he really, really likes being a gamecock and he's enthusiastic. Okay. Sounds solid.
well damn...I like the gamecocks, Am a great motivator, and led an army unit of 164 so 105 should be easy....I'll take for only 1 mil a year to....

I like Elliott. Appreciate his enthusiasm. But we are in the SEC, and not too far from three 11 win seasons. Hopefully at this point we don't have to accept the only guy that will take it. Now if he did win out, and most importantly, beat Clemson, then I think he has moved into contention. But one would hope that we have moved beyond the status of hoping we can hire somebody that will work out. I remember one time when everyone thought Richard Bell was a grand idea. Let's at least make an attempt to get a proven winner. If we get turned down by everyone on that wish list then maybe we settle on Elliott. But let's not start there.

What bothers me about the Elliot situation, is the scenario if we somehow win out, beating Florida, Citadel and klempsun. Now, I'm not saying that he would not have earned a serious look as a candidate for the HC position, but is that enough to just hand the job over to him? That would be an emotional, kneejerk kind of decision and I wonder how Tanner would look at that kind of situation. Where fans, coaches and players are throwing in support for Elliot as HC, based on winning 4 games. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather win out and have that kind of problem. But I'm not sold on hiring Elliot as HC, even if he did win out.

What bothers me about the Elliot situation, is the scenario if we somehow win out, beating Florida, Citadel and klempsun. Now, I'm not saying that he would not have earned a serious look as a candidate for the HC position, but is that enough to just hand the job over to him? That would be an emotional, kneejerk kind of decision and I wonder how Tanner would look at that kind of situation. Where fans, coaches and players are throwing in support for Elliot as HC, based on winning 4 games. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather win out and have that kind of problem. But I'm not sold on hiring Elliot as HC, even if he did win out.

I cannot imagine RT "just handing the job" to SE under any circumstances.

I also thought 4 out of 6 was the bare minimum for Elliot to get serious consideration for the job. He's definitely getting more out of the team than Spurrier did. The best thing about the current situation is that they can play loose against Clemson with nothing to lose. Pull out all of the stops - fake punt, go for it on 4th down, ect who cares at this point? Just do anything you can to win the game.

Shawn has done an incredible job. Apparently a lot of posters have forgotten the condition of the team he inherited, and he only had a few days to coach his first game. Sure it was against Vanderbilt, so what? He did an outstanding job against Texas A & M and Tennessee.
True. Two outstanding wins. Oh, right.

Here is the condition of the team when he took over: Not good and losing close games against mediocre teams. Now: Losing close games against mediocre teams.

Bringing it, SE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT