ADVERTISEMENT

Martin,Muschamp and Kingston...

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
I say are all on the hot seat. rate one thru three most to least hot and why....I say Muschamp first then Martin and Kingston...what do you guys think?

Reactions: SOSUSC
1) RT
2) WM
3) FM
4) MK

My biggest issue is that only 1 of those 4 are even capable of having success in their roles, and that is FM. The problem is that FM is that he has already reached his ceiling, and his average is nowhere near that ceiling. MK needs more time, but I don’t like what I see. WM is make or break in 2020.

And the common thread is RT. He’s the most incompetent of them all.

Whatever you do BOT, don’t make the mistake of selecting Dawn Staley as the next AD.

I don't see how Kingston's seat is hot. Maybe a bit warm, but not hot. Muschamp and Martin are definitely squirming.

Neither one will be fired until their buyouts decline. Muschamp will get 2 more years (2020 and 2021) and Martin will get 1 more year. If he somehow squeaks into the NCAA tournament this year then he will be around for the foreseeable future. Same with Muschamp. If he wins 6 or more next year then he's around for a few more years.

It hurts my heart to say this but it doesn’t matter . In my opinion we are back in the 80s and 90s where the admin and the fanbase are just ok with Mediocrity. It sucks but it’s true . I don’t think any of them are going anywhere because our expectations are not that of a winning culture . Until we quit spending $$ nothing will change .

Martin: year 8 and 1 tourney appearance. May get there this year but not looking good at the moment. Needs to be replaced if no NCAA tourney invite this year.

Muschamp: going into year 5. Got to make a bowl game and show improvement then have a great year in year 6 or he needs to be gone. Buyout keeping him around.

Kingston: still early but not liking what I'm seeing so far. Hitters still look like all or nothing approach at the plate. Bullpen is a big question mark. Need to hire a bonafide hitting coach. If bullpen pitching struggles rest of year, time for Meade to go.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Brace1
Martin was 4 points away from playing for a National Championship three years ago and consistently has his team in the top half (sometimes top 4) of the conference. Yeah he’s made the postseason twice (1 NIT and 1 NCAA—and what a tournament run that was) in 7 years. Martin has a 4-1 record here in NCAA tournament games—pretty freaking amazing. Muschamp took over a program that finished 4th in the country just two years before he came and Kingston took over a program that was in a Super Regional two years before he came. Tell me what the other guys have done? At least Martin has shown some damn sustained success (albeit small but it’s our men’s basketball program which has been historically bad before he arrived). I’d say it’s: Muschamp, Kingston, and then Martin in “firing” order. All three could go—but won’t.

Last edited:
It hurts my heart to say this but it doesn’t matter . In my opinion we are back in the 80s and 90s where the admin and the fanbase are just ok with Mediocrity. It sucks but it’s true . I don’t think any of them are going anywhere because our expectations are not that of a winning culture . Until we quit spending $$ nothing will change .
This is our biggest problem. I really thought Spurrier had changed the culture for good when he showed what we are capable of. But after he retired midseason, too many of our fans were more than willing to hold a grudge and dismiss him and all of his accomplishments outright and go back to being the Lovable Losers.

Meanwhile, an ag school in the northwest corner of nowhere in our same state does whatever it takes to play for -- and WIN -- championships.

1) RT
2) WM
3) FM
4) MK

My biggest issue is that only 1 of those 4 are even capable of having success in their roles, and that is FM. The problem is that FM is that he has already reached his ceiling, and his average is nowhere near that ceiling. MK needs more time, but I don’t like what I see. WM is make or break in 2020.

And the common thread is RT. He’s the most incompetent of them all.

Whatever you do BOT, don’t make the mistake of selecting Dawn Staley as the next AD.
Mark Kingston never finished above 2nd place in the AAC . He will never compete for the SEC. be real!

Last edited:
Reactions: SOSUSC
I don't see how Kingston's seat is hot. Maybe a bit warm, but not hot. Muschamp and Martin are definitely squirming.

Neither one will be fired until their buyouts decline. Muschamp will get 2 more years (2020 and 2021) and Martin will get 1 more year. If he somehow squeaks into the NCAA tournament this year then he will be around for the foreseeable future. Same with Muschamp. If he wins 6 or more next year then he's around for a few more years.
If we repeat our SEC performance in baseball from last year Kingston's seat should look like the sun. Say what you want, the baseball facilities here are second to none. If you can't make the NCAA tournament nearly every year, then you can't coach.

Reactions: uscedge21
Y’all just wanna fire every damn body. How bought you get behind and support your coaches, teams and school.

lol. By now you know after a loss these same posters come out by bunches.
Most have no desire to support anything gamecock related. When we win you never see them post. When we lose they come out in packs wanting to fire every coach and insult our players. This post starter by this dude just one more example

This is our biggest problem. I really thought Spurrier had changed the culture for good when he showed what we are capable of. But after he retired midseason, too many of our fans were more than willing to hold a grudge and dismiss him and all of his accomplishments outright and go back to being the Lovable Losers.

Meanwhile, an ag school in the northwest corner of nowhere in our same state does whatever it takes to play for -- and WIN -- championships.

Spurrier did change the culture, but it was only with the fans. That is why this board has, for the most part, been angry since he left.

Our problem is we have the same old BOT and administration. Our athletic programs slowly but surely got better after we brought on Mike McGee and then Eric Hyman as AD after King Dixon. Then history repeated itself and we promoted RT. Love RT for what he did for our baseball program, but the guy clearly doesn’t have the connections and/or ability to be a top AD.

Martin: year 8 and 1 tourney appearance. May get there this year but not looking good at the moment. Needs to be replaced if no NCAA tourney invite this year.

Muschamp: going into year 5. Got to make a bowl game and show improvement then have a great year in year 6 or he needs to be gone. Buyout keeping him around.

Kingston: still early but not liking what I'm seeing so far. Hitters still look like all or nothing approach at the plate. Bullpen is a big question mark. Need to hire a bonafide hitting coach. If bullpen pitching struggles rest of year, time for Meade to go.

It's funny that NOBODY at the time counted years 1 and 2 with Frank in years one and two. Now that he has missed the NCAA tournament after reaching the Final Four, all the keyboard warriors start counting years one and two...

Spurrier did change the culture, but it was only with the fans. That is why this board has, for the most part, been angry since he left.

Our problem is we have the same old BOT and administration. Our athletic programs slowly but surely got better after we brought on Mike McGee and then Eric Hyman as AD after King Dixon. Then history repeated itself and we promoted RT. Love RT for what he did for our baseball program, but the guy clearly doesn’t have the connections and/or ability to be a top AD.
I agree. For a while, I thought the BOT had finally loosened up their purse strings and were ready to compete. But that was probably because they were gifted a HOF coach is (still) our GOAT. AND he was willing to work for pretty cheap.

If we repeat our SEC performance in baseball from last year Kingston's seat should look like the sun. Say what you want, the baseball facilities here are second to none. If you can't make the NCAA tournament nearly every year, then you can't coach.
He did okay in his first year after a rough start. I agree last year was a disaster. But this is just year #3. We give everyone else 4 years before we start calling for someone to be fired. Let's see how this year turns out.

Y’all just wanna fire every damn body. How bought you get behind and support your coaches, teams and school.

Im trying every day. I guess this hurts more because we had a few spoonfuls of success and not having a sense of who may or may not show up on a given day compounds my damaged heart, I almost never scream for the firings (Since Sparky & Horn, but they were....),

which way is up ?

Bless Dawn, or I’d be totally lost

BS- nobody is ok with or wants mediocrity it is just all Carolina has been able to obtain historically... The solution is the exact opposite of what your said we need to start SPENDING money. The top recruiting (and the ones that are competing for championships) football programs spend 2-3 times what we do on recruiting. Not being an AD or head coach myself I won’t get into how exactly we should do it but one suggestion is boosting our back office personnel. Bama and clemsun both have teams of analysts and research assistants manning entire departments to manage recruiting and analyze up coming opponents- these are entire departments we do not even have. Our coach doesn’t take advice from others well. That would be fine if he were winning on his own. At 4-8 he should be begging anyone who ever played the game to give him their take on things.

Basketball has never been good consistently and until we play the recruiting game the way it is done in college basketball- reserve ourselves to just flat out cheating, lying, paying players and getting in bed with big time shoe companies- it never will be good.

Those two sports are mostly an issue of not attracting the right level of talent. FB recruiting is close already...

BASEBALL? We still recruit among the nation's elite... MLB is generally our biggest competitor for talent. The only explanation is that coaching has been subpar. No way we should have lost to NW this past weekend. That was an awful job of execution all around.

Reactions: 92Pony
BS- nobody is ok with or wants mediocrity it is just all Carolina has been able to obtain historically... The solution is the exact opposite of what your said we need to start SPENDING money. The top recruiting (and the ones that are competing for championships) football programs spend 2-3 times what we do on recruiting. Not being an AD or head coach myself I won’t get into how exactly we should do it but one suggestion is boosting our back office personnel. Bama and clemsun both have teams of analysts and research assistants manning entire departments to manage recruiting and analyze up coming opponents- these are entire departments we do not even have. Our coach doesn’t take advice from others well. That would be fine if he were winning on his own. At 4-8 he should be begging anyone who ever played the game to give him their take on things.

Basketball has never been good consistently and until we play the recruiting game the way it is done in college basketball- reserve ourselves to just flat out cheating, lying, paying players and getting in bed with big time shoe companies- it never will be good.

Those two sports are mostly an issue of not attracting the right level of talent. FB recruiting is close already...

BASEBALL? We still recruit among the nation's elite... MLB is generally our biggest competitor for talent. The only explanation is that coaching has been subpar. No way we should have lost to NW this past weekend. That was an awful job of execution all around.

I’m not talking about our Athletic Department spending money , I’m talking about you and me and every other fan that has shelled out for years with little or no results . I can tell you for a FACT that when the fans stay home and the seats are empty changes will happen . I’ve seen it happen first hand in Tallahassee (this year) and in Tuscaloosa during the Shula days and more recently at LSU with Les Miles . We packed that stadium regardless if we are 10-2 or 3-9 and it’s just plain dumb . I can tell you Doak Campbell was a ghost town for a few games this year , especially against an arch rival . They won’t tolerate it and guess what ... the coaching staff is history . When has this ever happened in Columbia ?? It won’t, and that’s why we will get two more .500 or worse seasons from all our men’s teams . We don’t hold people accountable. We bitch and moan but we still pay . That’s the problem .

Reactions: Goose cock
I’m not talking about our Athletic Department spending money , I’m talking about you and me and every other fan that has shelled out for years with little or no results . I can tell you for a FACT that when the fans stay home and the seats are empty changes will happen . I’ve seen it happen first hand in Tallahassee (this year) and in Tuscaloosa during the Shula days and more recently at LSU with Les Miles . We packed that stadium regardless if we are 10-2 or 3-9 and it’s just plain dumb . I can tell you Doak Campbell was a ghost town for a few games this year , especially against an arch rival . They won’t tolerate it and guess what ... the coaching staff is history . When has this ever happened in Columbia ?? It won’t, and that’s why we will get two more .500 or worse seasons from all our men’s teams . We don’t hold people accountable. We bitch and moan but we still pay . That’s the problem .
I understand... I do agree to an extent as well except that if we hurt the revenue of the sport we want to improve we will neither be able to afford to fire coaches and hire new good ones nor will be able to afford to invest more in recruiting for whomever is the coach in the future..

I understand... I do agree to an extent as well except that if we hurt the revenue of the sport we want to improve we will neither be able to afford to fire coaches and hire new good ones nor will be able to afford to invest more in recruiting for whomever is the coach in the future..

True , however I think our money isn’t going into improving the sport or recruiting , it’s going in people’s pockets . People who are failing miserably to give the fans what they deserve . I was at the FSU Miami game this year and the entire FSU boosters boxes were empty . They staged a planned No Show and Willy T was gone two days later . When an AD or President sees millions of dollars vanishing they make changes , especially when a lot of that money goes in their pockets .

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I say are all on the hot seat. rate one thru three most to least hot and why....I say Muschamp first then Martin and Kingston...what do you guys think?
Nah.

Muschamp, yes. But only because the president and BOT will have to pull the trigger to placate disgruntled donors if he has another bad year. Tanner believes in Muschamp and will not fire him.

I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get a raise and possibly an extension. It's just how we roll.

Kingston has time.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If I had to rank them:
1. Muschamp—football under the biggest microscope
2. Tanner—if Muschamp doesn’t go well it puts the heat on the AD
3. Kingston—he’s only got 2 years under his belt but another year like last year and that seat gets hot in a hurry.
4. Martin—of all of the above the one that could land the same gig elsewhere if things went south. Plus he can still make the tournament this season.

It's funny that NOBODY at the time counted years 1 and 2 with Frank in years one and two. Now that he has missed the NCAA tournament after reaching the Final Four, all the keyboard warriors start counting years one and two...

No one with 2 functioning brain cells would count the first few years of Frank Martins tenure as needing to make the NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately 2 functioning brain cells isn’t a prerequisite here.

Reactions: Silverspur02
No one with 2 functioning brain cells would count the first few years of Frank Martins tenure as needing to make the NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately 2 functioning brain cells isn’t a prerequisite here.

So, subtracting the first two years of Martin's tenure, we're five and 2/3 seasons with him realistically. He inherited a shit show from Darin I'm Over My Head Horn. I'd say his first two years he over achieved with what he had to work with. Since then, it's been a roller coaster ride. Not sure we can get better, but his results, other than the wonderful FF run, have been less than stellar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT