ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile back at the office

That's just initial reaction. Wait until their next couple of earnings reports, then you'll see if they're actually hurt. My guess is they aren't.

Old white people, who are the vast majority of those actually upset by this stuff, don't deck themselves out in Nike gear all that often.
I'll go this far with you: this one doesn't. Never has.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
That's just initial reaction. Wait until their next couple of earnings reports, then you'll see if they're actually hurt. My guess is they aren't.

Old white people, who are the vast majority of those actually upset by this stuff, don't deck themselves out in Nike gear all that often.
The problem for Nike isn't the old white people not buying stuff for themselves, its the old white people not buying the overpriced nike stuff for their kids.
I also wonder when Nike is going to start giving their asian employees some of the millions they dish out to the sports stars they have contracts with. These shoe companies are beyound hypocritical. They claim they are for righting social injustice, yet they take advantage of workers living in countries that lack any real access to self improvement or upward mobility. These publicity stunts are 100% diversion tactics.

If Kaep puts his money where his mouth is he'll redistribute this Nike wealth to the sweatshop workers. That's what Castro would have liked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
I'm white / 40s / graduate degree / gainfully employed / exercise regularly / buy more than my share of running shoes / have never told a kid to get off my lawn / have made my last Nike purchase.

Nike may not care...but I think I fit a part of their marketing audience, and they are making a pretty stupid mistake.

The problem for Nike isn't the old white people not buying stuff for themselves, its the old white people not buying the overpriced nike stuff for their kids.
I also wonder when Nike is going to start giving their asian employees some of the millions they dish out to the sports stars they have contracts with. These shoe companies are beyound hypocritical. They claim they are for righting social injustice, yet they take advantage of workers living in countries that lack any real access to self improvement or upward mobility. These publicity stunts are 100% diversion tactics.
What do y'all have against capitalism? Trump sure doesn't mind using cheap Asian labor either.

Reactions: Out of Conference
What do y'all have against capitalism? Trump sure doesn't mind using cheap Asian labor either.
I have nothing against capitalism. My issue is with Nike trying to pretend they are some "socially responsible" company at the same time they generate massive profits by using what amounts to a serf-like labor force.
Plus the stuff they make nowadays is crap, crap I say.

Reactions: Mean Gene 69
I have nothing against capitalism. My issue is with Nike trying to pretend they are some "socially responsible" company at the same time they generate massive profits by using what amounts to a serf-like labor force.
Plus the stuff they make nowadays is crap, crap I say.
You haven't worn the Cole Haan or Saks dress shoes with the Nike Air soles. Dress shoes that feel like you a wearing high-end sneakers. Golf shoes aren't too shabby either.

And if you are going to start busting on corporations that are being somewhat hypocritical, you will end up with a looong list and nothing to purchase.

You haven't worn the Cole Haan or Saks dress shoes with the Nike Air soles. Dress shoes that feel like you a wearing high-end sneakers. Golf shoes aren't too shabby either.

And if you are going to start busting on corporations that are being somewhat hypocritical, you will end up with a looong list and nothing to purchase.

@rogue cock Why waste your time? These are the same hypocrites that will rant on here about how sick they are about "PC" culture and how easily offended everyone is. Yet those same snowflakes melt when Kaepernick displays nonviolent protest about how a large section of society is treated. It's a waste of time.

Those same 60 million people say Kaep disrespects veterans, yet had no problem with voting for someone who said the following about a 5+ year Prisoner of War veteran:

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

I'm white / 40s / graduate degree / gainfully employed / exercise regularly / buy more than my share of running shoes / have never told a kid to get off my lawn / have made my last Nike purchase.

Nike may not care...but I think I fit a part of their marketing audience, and they are making a pretty stupid mistake.
I'm white / 30s / graduate degree / gainfully employed / exercise regularly / buy running shoes / I buy Nikes. I am a part of their marketing audience, and I think this is a good move by them. Guess we'll see what happens

@rogue cock Why waste your time? These are the same hypocrites that will rant on here about how sick they are about "PC" culture and how easily offended everyone is. Yet those same snowflakes melt when Kaepernick displays nonviolent protest about how a large section of society is treated. It's a waste of time.

Those same 60 million people say Kaep disrespects veterans, yet had no problem with voting for someone who said the following about a 5+ year Prisoner of War veteran:

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
My issue isnt with Kaep. My complaint is with Nike trying on one end to say they care aboit one group dealing with social injustice, while at the same time benefiting from workers who live at a standard below those suffering from the injustice here. Kaep can kneel all he wants. I just think many of these companies could do a better job taking care of their employees. I know I do, even if it means less money in my pocket.

Last edited:

You don't...and Nike doesn't care

I'm white / 30s / graduate degree / gainfully employed / exercise regularly / buy running shoes / I buy Nikes. I am a part of their marketing audience, and I think this is a good move by them. Guess we'll see what happens

It’s wild how there are people out there that can have different opinions... really makes you think

$3.75 billion decrease in a total market cap of $131.57 billion. Hmmm, you do the math.[/QUOTE]
That seems to be a rounded 4 billion loss. First there is the apologist for the NFL loss in viewership and now telling us how great and smart Nike is with this move. We are probably smart enough to know what's going on.

Google Nike donations to charity. Just do it.

$3.75 billion decrease in a total market cap of $131.57 billion. Hmmm, you do the math.
That seems to be a rounded 4 billion loss. First there is the apologist for the NFL loss in viewership and now telling us how great and smart Nike is with this move. We are probably smart enough to know what's going on.[/QUOTE]
Nike reportedly paid the NFL $1.1 billion for rights to the exclusive uniform contract. The NFL is Nike’s bitch right now.

Reactions: winloseortie
Those Asian employees just got a wage cut to pay for Kapernack's contract.

$3.75 billion decrease in a total market cap of $131.57 billion. Hmmm, you do the math.
That seems to be a rounded 4 billion loss. First there is the apologist for the NFL loss in viewership and now telling us how great and smart Nike is with this move. We are probably smart enough to know what's going on.[/QUOTE]
I have a buy order in at a 5% drop. Thus far, I own no additional shares.

And after looking at Kaepernick's jersey sales since he started this protest, it doesn't appear that I am going to.

Nike definitely knows what they are doing.

That seems to be a rounded 4 billion loss. First there is the apologist for the NFL loss in viewership and now telling us how great and smart Nike is with this move. We are probably smart enough to know what's going on.
I have a buy order in at a 5% drop. Thus far, I own no additional shares.

And after looking at Kaepernick's jersey sales since he started this protest, it doesn't appear that I am going to.

Nike definitely knows what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

If you have a definite price you are willing to buy at, sell some puts. There's not much time premium on them, so maybe not worth the risk if you don't want to buy. But it's free money if you are going to buy at the strike price anyways.

Google Nike Sweatshops. Like I said before, Nike (and many of these other "socially responsible" companies) uses these grants, gift etc as diversion tactics, the classic Compensation Effect.
Honest response , and Curious, Did you care about their social responsibility before Kaepernick? If so hats off to you sir. If not then you are just using a diversion to mask your personal animus.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Honest response , and Curious, Did you care about their social responsibility before Kaepernick? If so hats off to you sir. If not then you are just using a diversion to mask your personal animus.
I have had several african american friends relay stories to me, guys Ive gone to school with (talking grad school for PhD and dental school for, well you know). So if these things can happen to them I can see the issue. Of course I also realize this whole issue is not as simple as telling the police to stop profiling. They do those things for a reason. Their work is dangerous and they have to make decisions I would never want to have to make.

Last edited:

From what I am seeing, it looks like the old black people are all onboard with the decision.

I have had several african american friends relay stories to me, guys Ive gone to school with (talking grad school for PhD and dental school for, well you know). So if these things can happen to them I can see the issue. Of course I also realize this whole issue is not as simple as telling the police to stop profiling. They do those things for a reason. Their work is dangerous and they have to make decisions I would never want to have to make.
Not really what I asked, but I genuinely appreciate your response

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT