ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Baseball draft 2021

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
As the annual MLB baseball draft has taken place it will be interesting to see five years from now how many of the players drafted make it to the big league. As I attended the regionals that USC hosted I was waiting for the ticket office to open and I got to speaking with a man outside the ticket office as well. I asked him if he was a person associated with the media, he said no I am a MLB scout and I am here to scout the pitcher for Virginia and the pitchers for South Carolina. We got to talking and I asked him about the MLB teams with players mostly from the Central American countries, Japan and other foreign countries. I posed the question why is it that so many players from these countries make it to MLB over a lot of American players. He posed for a second and mentioned in a professional way, the player from the foreign countries want it more than a lot of American players who seem to have an attitude that because they were drafted high that they did not have to put in the extra work like extra film room, batting practice, fielding practice. The players from the foreign countries you go to an minor league team and they are already working on their basic fundamental skills, but the American players do not want to put in the extra work. As our discussion progressed he said look at the MLB draft from the last five years and see how many of the first rounders are on MLB rosters. Very few, a lot of the players have been told that they are going to be organizational players and that is what their future will be. So like when they were in college they got treated with first class education, transportation when they go on the road, the food is prepared by professional people who manage their diets. When they get in the minor league for whatever team that drafted them, they play in stadiums with maybe 100 people, after the game they get food from a fast food place, and then they have about a 2 to 3 hour bus drive home or to another minor league stadium. So after maybe 5 years they realise that it is probably best that they retire from baseball and get in the real world and find a job. Where as on the other hand you look at the MLB rosters and see how many foreign players are on their rosters. Like the scout told me the foreign players want it more and they do not have this sense of entitlement that american player seem to have. The scout mentioned that this sense of entitelment comes from their parents and from way society is today in American. Finally the scout told me less than 1% of all the players drafted make it to MLB. Lastly we got to talking about the slot number and amount of money these players get he mentioned that at the end of the year the players will get a 1099 and they will be responsible for the federal and state taxes of the state they live in and the state where they play baseball. Take for instance a player gets a slot of $8m for being the first player drafted in the MLB draft, well take about 40% of that for federal taxes, then another 10% for state taxes, then another 6 - 10% to the agent who represents them. Probably after everything they will get $4m, which is still a lot of money. So whatever they decide to do with that money is left up to the individual. A lot of these kids do not invest this money wisely, because after their signing slot money the MLB teams pay these players maybe $25,000 - $35,000 a year to play in the minor leagues. This is just a scenario for a first round pick, do the math on the other slots and you will see after everything the players need to really be wise and invest their money wisely. Sadly time and time again you read about these athletes who are bankrupt. Where the really big money is if a player makes it to the MLB roster and gets a really good contract say after 5 years then that is where the really big money is, but sadly only about 0.01% of all the players drafted make a mlb roster.

Reactions: chief2791
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT