ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp from a Gator's perspective

Foley is such an idiot. He goes out and hires Urban Meyer. Meyer then wins 2 National Championsh
ips while at Florida. How many National Championships did Steve win during his
tenure at South Carolina???

Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez to Florida, ran the program into the ground, and ditched UF for a lateral move into the Big 10 with the Ohio State Buckeyes.
Looks like Foley demands win at all cost from his coaches and recruitment of active gang members from the Bloods is tolerated.

McElwain has already exploded on the sidelines earlier this season and the
video was going viral on You Tube until UF claimed copy rights and had it removed.

https://lockerdome.com/6431593065616705/8029305833800724

Muschamp and Roper would have won 10 games @ Florida this season if given another year by Foley IMO. Especially with the weak condition of the SEC East. Only 3 teams in the East Division made a bowl in the 2015 season.

Reactions: Lakecock1
yes/USMC Aviation...3 people I hold in high regard disagree with you(your foly comment says you are not in-the-know)...400Kplus/year(bho and company gets about 185k/year of it)...

SEMPER FI...Go Cocks!!!...

The Foley stuff isn't true. The substance of the following was posted here in another thread. Weis and Muschamp had a relationship long before Foley hired Will. Weis's son was ready to enroll at Texas to work as a student assistant for Will when he got the Florida job. Weis, Jr then headed to Florida with his father.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/1/1/1907838/charlie-weis-son-reportedly-headed-to-florida-too

http://www.onlygators.com/tag/charlie-weis/page/20/

The Foley stuff isn't true. The substance of the following was posted here in another thread. Weis and Muschamp had a relationship long before Foley hired Will. Weis's son was ready to enroll at Texas to work as a student assistant for Will when he got the Florida job. Weis, Jr then headed to Florida with his father.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/1/1/1907838/charlie-weis-son-reportedly-headed-to-florida-too

http://www.onlygators.com/tag/charlie-weis/page/20/
When you read the www.only gator.com article on the 2nd page were he talks about Weis, coach Champ said "I heard through a third party that Weis may be interested in coming here" I was starting to copy that whole paragraph when the subscribe window popped up. I will be the first to tell you that I don't know, but H. Cline on 107.5, who covered Florida when Steve was there, had a guest on that covers Gator football and he said that Foley had his hand on what Champ did. I don't know what you do but unless you are somehow on the inside of Gator football like the guys I just named then what they said about Foley will remain as the truth until someone can give creditable proof that he didn't micromanage. Spurs Up

Last edited:
When you read the www.only gator.com article on the 2nd page were he talks about Weis, coach Champ said "I heard through a third party that Weis may be interested in coming here" I was starting to copy that whole paragraph when the subscribe window popped up. I will be the first to tell you that I don't know, but H. Cline on 107.5, who covered Florida when Steve was there, had a guest on that covers Gator football and he said that Foley had his hand on what Champ did. I don't know what you do but unless yoy are somehow on the inside of Gator football like the guys I just named then what they said about Foley will remain as the truth until someone can give creditable proof that he didn't micromanage. Spurs Up
Pretty much the same that a lot of UF posters on The Main Board were relating from the people that run Florida's sports sites a few years ago....and they specifically mentioned the Weis hire as being Foley's. You'd figure that the site administrators and reporters would have some inside knowledge...at least better than the average fan.

Weis only coached one year in college as an OC and he was a miserable failure. In the NFL he was wildly successful winning 3 Super Bowls.

Brent Pease was successful at Boise State but was also a miserable failure at Florida.

Kurt Roper was wildly successful at Duke(relative to their history) but was also a miserable failure at Florida.

Commonalities? All were great OCs when they coached under great head coaches. The only place any of them failed was under Muschamp at Florida. Coincidence? Only if you're delusional.
Okay, except Charlie was also a miserable failure as a HC at N. Dame and Kansas. Not buying the argument that Muschamp had anything to do with Weis' failure.

Full disclosure.......this is very long and detailed, skip it if you don;t want a long read

I have always felt an affinity for the Gamecocks. As a Gator fan I have always rooted for Spurrier no matter where he was. I also selfishly want every team on our schedule, especially the SEC East teams, to be strong national contenders. The tougher our schedule the more it helps us get recognition.

That is why I was so dismayed when South Carolina hired Muschamp. I understand why some think it is a good hire. He fooled a lot of Gators as well. I also understand why many Gamecock fans are trying to be positive regardless of what they actually think. I get it. I just think it is misguided.

I have heard a lot of people claim that Muschamp will become a great coach. He has supporters. They can never tell you what exactly it is though that will transform him into a good coach. They just say that he is enthusiastic and likable.

My dog is enthusiastic and likeable, that will never make her a good football coach. On the other hand, I can explain exactly how Muschamp failed at Florida.

Developing a Plan for Success

When Spurrier arrived at Florida he immediately announced that he had no idea who his starting QB was going to be, but he would win the SEC player of the year award. Then he took a 4th string QB named Shane Matthews and turned him into the SEC player of the year.

Spurrier in his prime had developed a proven system that he knew would work. He had a plan.

When Muschamp arrived he simply stated that we would be a blue collar team that worked hard, ran downhill and played a line of scrimmage game. He had no plan, he just had a vague idea of what he wanted his team to look like.

Recruiting

To run downhill and win a line of scrimmage game you need OL. Lots of OL. In the first two years that Muschamp was the head coach at UF he recruited a total of 4 OL. In contrast, during that same time period he recruited 11 players for the secondary which happens to be the position he takes great pride in coaching.

Florida is considered one of the best recruiting grounds for skill players in the country. UF has a built in natural advantage with it's location. Every UF coach has recruited well. However, Muschamp could not land top ranked offensive skill position players on a consistent basis.

It was obvious that Muschamp was not going to field an offense with a passing dimension. Wide receivers were blockers and quarterbacks were just there to hand the ball off.

He tends to get highly rated recruiting classes, but he stocks up on defensive players and completely neglects the offense.

Offense

In his time at Florida he changed offensive coordinators as often as most people change underwear. The offense did not work under any of them. The truly curious thing though is that the offense always looked exactly the same regardless of who the OC was.

Our offense ran the ball on first down a very high percentage of the time. Muschamp made it clear over and over that he wanted a hard nosed running team. While he was the head coach at UF he said, on more than one occasion, that when you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad.

When your offense has clear, well defined tendencies it is easy to game plan a defense. Stack the box on first down and create second and long. Our offensive line was undisciplined, but they also appeared to lack talent (more on that later). It is hard for even highly talented lines to open holes when the defense knows what you are doing. Muschamp's offense was always ranked near the bottom nationally.

The only offensive statistic that Muschamp continually referenced was time of possession. He truly cared about winning time of possession. His philosophy is that the purpose of the offense is to run clock so the defense can stay rested and win the game.

There were multiple occasions when Florida would find itself losing the game and in possession of the ball in good field position with only a couple of minutes left in the first half. Muschamp was very consistent in that situation. He would run the clock out. He purposefully made the decision to not try to score points.

It is not embellishment to say that Muschamp hates offense.

Defense

Muschamp recruited, fielded and game planned very good defenses while at UF. They were some of the most talented defenses I have ever personally seen at UF. However, they completely lacked discipline. It was a common thing for the defense to get a critical third or fourth down stop and then commit a stupid dead ball personal foul. That is basically a defensive turnover. They gave the ball back to the other team.

For me, it was easy to see how this was repeatedly happening. In any organization the person at the top sets a culture. Everyone else gets permissions from that person on acceptable behavior within the organization.

Muschamp was always out of control on the sidelines. The man is seemingly incapable of controlling his emotions. It is a detriment to the team. I have witnessed him ignoring the game and violently screaming at the referees over something that happened several plays ago. He loses all perspective and the ability to focus on what is currently happening.

Then his defense commits an emotional dead ball personal foul and gives the ball back to the other team. Muschamp sets a culture where it is acceptable to lose self control and focus.

I honestly think there is a small chance that Muschamp's coaching career will one day end with him punching a referee.

Responsibility

There is no doubt that Muschamp is a hard worker. This section is not about that type of responsibility. In order to evolve and grow you must accept responsibility for the choices, actions and results in your life. Everyone makes errors, the truly successful use that experience to adapt. Basically, there are two types of coaches, those who achieve at a high level and those who have really good reasons why they do not. Muschamp falls in the latter category.

When Muschamp started losing he constantly told anyone that would listen that when he arrived the cupboard was bare. He was eager to blame the previous regime for his current lack of success.

However, the numbers do not back up that claim. Muschamp inherited 18 players that would eventually be drafted by the NFL. Three more Gators that played for Muschamp are expected to be drafted this year and more will be next year as well. There are a lot of college coaches that would love to have that many future NFL players on their roster.

Yet even with all that talent Muschamp could only manage 28 wins. His 2013 4-8 record was the worst at UF since the Gators last had a losing record in 1979. That year Muschamp found a new excuse - injuries.

Actually, injuries plagued every Muschamp team at Florida. A long list of injured players was a mainstay during his tenure. Many wondered if it had anything to do with the revamped strength and conditioning program led by newly hired assistant coach Jeff Dillman. There is no proof of any connection, but the unusually large number of injuries sustained over a long period of time might suggest a need to reevaluate the strength and conditioning program. As per usual with Muschamp, he stubbornly stayed the course. If nothing else, he is very loyal. He has hired Dillman again at South Carolina.

Even with all of the injuries, no one saw the loss to Georgia Southern coming. Florida had one of the most highly rated defenses in the nation. The game was being played at the Swamp. Florida had never in it's entire history lost to a lower tier football program.

In addition, lower tier programs are not allowed to have the 85 scholarship players upper division teams can sign. Florida had 20 more scholarship players than their lowly opponent. To top it off, Georgia Southern had also experienced an inordinate number of injuries. They were actually missing more injured starters than UF. Georgia Southern had to start a third string OL due to injuries. I am not sure what level of talent a third string Ga Southern player possesses, but I am fairly certain it would not earn you a scholarship at UF.

In that game Georgia Southern only attempted three passes and they did not complete any. Not one completion. Our defensive genius head coach was playing with a stacked deck. He had every conceivable advantage and he lost.

Georgia Southern ran for 429 yards averaging just under 8 yards per carry. They had 3 different running backs with a long run over 40 yards. This even though we only allowed them 57 offensive plays. Georgia Southern turned the ball over twice and the Gators did not have a single turnover. The Gators were only flagged for 2 penalties the entire game. Still, Muschamp found a way to lose.

This is the same Georgia Southern team that lost to Wofford, Samford, Furman and got blown out by Appalachian State. It is inexplicable.

When you have already lost the confidence of the fan base and then you lose to Georgia Southern in that fashion, you come to the press conference and admit that what you are doing is simply not working. You just come clean and announce that you are going to have to reevaluate, learn from the experience and change how you do things.

Not Muschamp. Muschamp showed his usual lack of composure and yelled about midlines. He actually tried to convince everyone that Georgia Southern's offense is just unstoppable. He explained that they won by utilizing midlines and I quote "midlines take the talent out of the equation". He never bothered to explain why, given his knowledge of magical midlines, we did not use them to help our offense. Apparently, Georgia Southern has a monopoly on midlines.

Muschamp is the very definition of stubborn. He remains convinced that he did everything absolutely right at UF and it was forces outside his control that caused his downfall. He would rather lose using his dysfunctional system than admit he is wrong and change.

I honestly believe that he brought so many of his ex-Gator assistant coaches to South Carolina because he wants to prove that he can win without changing anything.

Developing Players

As stated previously, Muschamp had a lot of future NFL talent on his teams. He excelled at developing defensive talent. His record with offensive talent is not as impressive.

Muschamp had no intention of developing a high powered offense. He was going to win games with his defense. In his mind, he just needed an offense that would not turn the ball over and his defense would do everything else. That meant minimal passing and lots of punting for field position.

Jacoby Brissett was the QB under Muschamp for a period of time. In 2 seasons at UF he threw for 455 yards with 3 TDs, 4 INTs and 5 sacks. He transferred to NC State and promptly became the starter (after the obligatory one year transfer rule). In 2 seasons at NC State he has thrown for 5,054 yards with 42 TDs, 9 INTs and 61 sacks.

High School Gatorade National Player of the Year Jeff Driskell played so poorly in Muschamp's system he was almost universally disliked by Florida fans. In 4 seasons at UF (medical redshirt) he threw for 3,411 yards with 23 TDs, 20 Ints and 55 sacks. In his one season after transferring to La Tech he has thrown for 4,033 yards with 27 TDs, 8 Ints and 19 sacks.

Both are very capable QB's that could not find any success in Muschamp's system. That pattern holds true for many offensive players that have found success once they were free of Muschamp's offensive philosophy.

Constantly changing offensive coordinators made no difference because no matter who was in the position, they had to run Muschamp's offense. Minimal passing, minimal risk, run clock and let the defense win the game. There was very little room to actually develop offensive players.

The one bright spot is that you can always count on Muschamp to have really good reasons why his teams fail to achieve.

You really have no idea what you are saying. Your opinion is worth zero when you post the bullshit I just read. I am closer, maybe than some, and not as close as others; but YOU know nothing! Most of us know why Spurrier was successful at Florida. You obviously do not. Oh, he had a plan? Right!

Hey, please spare us anymore stupidity.

Bushmastercock....

Saban is an extreme example of a man with a plan. The man pays attention to every little detail. He came into Alabama and completely restructured the entire football department from the secretaries job on up. I would be willing to bet he has a certain way he wants the custodians to clean the bathrooms.

If you honestly think that Saban's plan is to run the ball and eat clock, you just have not been paying attention.

It is funny that the most hostile posters always want to change the subject. I honestly was not trying to insult you personally when I posted a well thought out, reasonable post that did not include any hostility towards South Carolina.

However, I will play along if you insist. Remember, this was your idea and not mine.

"Now let's talk about your coach. What has he done? Well, he won 10 with muschamp's player's, in a season where vandy was the only team in the division to retain their coach. Struggled mightily down the stretch to score points, and limped in to the sec champ game. His best days as the coach at Florida are behind him. Hell he even had to get boom's defensive players to teach your new defensive coaches what a good defense is. Now that is comical."

He won 10 in large part because of the 3 true freshmen OL that started, the star true freshman WR that won the Tennessee game and an offense that was effective until Grier got suspended.

We struggled when we had to go back to Treon. Treon was not recruited as a QB by anyone until Roper was hired at UF. Roper and Muschamp offered him as a QB and he signed. He is listed at 5'11", but is certainly shorter. He does not possess the arm or other physical attributes to play QB in the SEC.

The defense that Muschamp left us certainly helped a great deal. The D that Muschamp created is a beast.

You call it comical and yet McElwain has exactly the same number of SEC East titles as South Carolina.

Does that answer the question "What has McElwain done" adequately?

You asked.

To the OP.

I know some folks very respected in the strength coach and athletic trainer communities and there's some real concern about Dillman and the "ACL rehab brigades" that follow him.

Who knows maybe a year with Cochran at Bama got him in a better spot on some of his regiments.

You make some well thought ought points about Boom. All I can say is that you might be right. But he's our coach now. All we can do is buy tickets, and support him on Saturday. The decision has been made.

If he does as he talks about, then I think he has a chance to redeem himself and have success.

You talked about time of possession and not putting defenses in a bad position. From 2010-2013 the Ole Ball Coach followed that theory (with a serviceable offense). So the theory isn't wrong IMHO.

Superior7....

Not sure how Aaron Hernandez got into this conversation about Muschamp, but if it makes you feel better.

Aaron Hernandez is certainly a vile human being. No one will dispute that.

If you want a good read on how Meyer actually tried to help Hernandez here is a link http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...da-new-england-aaron-hernandez-enough-already

I, like most Gator fans, wish Hernandez had never come to UF.

McElwain did explode on the sidelines earlier this year. However, there are vast differences between that one event and Muschamp's history.

McElwain was not yelling at the refs. McElwain was yelling at his starting RB because he made a throat slash gesture. Under Muschamp the Gators were one of the most penalized teams in the nation (2011 - 116 out of 120 teams, 2012 - 122 of 124, 2013 - 121 of 125, 2014 - 101 of 128). McElwain was quoted many times saying that these selfish acts were no longer going to be acceptable.

The following day McElwain acknowledged that he went a little too far.

There is no way you can't see the difference between that and what Muschamp does every single game.

Last edited:
JRS9572......

I agree that there is no one way to win.

It was odd seeing Spurrier go from the Fun n Gun to what he was doing there at the end. I wonder if that was him doing what he thought was best? It could have been that he just was not getting the QB's he needed. It may have been that he was backing off as he aged and allowing others to have more influence.

I am not real sure how that change came about.

By the way, I appreciate your rational and well thought out reply.

JRS9572......

I agree that there is no one way to win.

It was odd seeing Spurrier go from the Fun n Gun to what he was doing there at the end. I wonder if that was him doing what he thought was best? It could have been that he just was not getting the QB's he needed. It may have been that he was backing off as he aged and allowing others to have more influence.

I am not real sure how that change came about.

He would often say during that run to reporters "you know at Fla. we'd get us a lead in the 1st half then we'd turn it over to the run game to keep the opponent out of it, and get out of there with a win. You should protect your defense."

It worked to beat a lot of SEC teams on the road. Plus if you had Lattimore, and Connor Shaw......it makes good sense. God knows he had a 5 game win streak against Clemson with that MO. He captured the 2010 SEC east in the swamp with that MO.

I also think he liked to stand alone and be different. When he went to UF with fun and gun everyone else was running ball control. Then when it became "we're gonna run 90 play a game no huddle" he went opposite. He just loved to do the opposite and thumb his nose at the schemes "all the kids were doing."

This right here says it all. IF Champ has learned some things from his previous HC stop & will stay out of the offense & know that you need to be good in all 3 phases of the game, we'll be fine & he could wind up winning a bunch of games while here at SC. If he doesn't, we could be headed down the wrong path that the initial poster is claiming will happen. I for one am hoping Champ will do things differently, eventually win big, & Tanner is one day praised for making the hire most said was a terrible one.

That was why I was hoping he would hire Applewhite or some other new OC. Going with his last Florida OC is a bad sign in my book that he is still stubborn and still going to mess with the offense. If I had been Tanner, I would have hired him but stipulated upfront some rules about his OC and the OC's independence.

Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez to Florida, ran the program into the ground, and ditched UF for a lateral move into the Big 10 with the Ohio State Buckeyes.
Looks like Foley demands win at all cost from his coaches and recruitment of active gang members from the Bloods is tolerated.

McElwain has already exploded on the sidelines earlier this season and the
video was going viral on You Tube until UF claimed copy rights and had it removed.

https://lockerdome.com/6431593065616705/8029305833800724

Muschamp and Roper would have won 10 games @ Florida this season if given another year by Foley IMO. Especially with the weak condition of the SEC East. Only 3 teams in the East Division made a bowl in the 2015 season.

Boy...I over evaluated this hire.

Foley is an absolute joke of an AD. He could have had Spurrier back when Spurrier contacted him, but instead, he thanked Spurrier for calling and told him he would interview him along with the other UF candidates. Once Muschamp was hired your AD dictated his first two OCs, including the abysmal Charlie Weiss. That is a level of stupid that sets the bar pretty high.

No, I think we will keep Coach Tanner. You keep that dude Foley.

In the end it would not surprise me at all if Tanner made the best FB coaching hire in the SEC east over the past five years.

Where this dude at?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Full disclosure.......this is very long and detailed, skip it if you don;t want a long read

I have always felt an affinity for the Gamecocks. As a Gator fan I have always rooted for Spurrier no matter where he was. I also selfishly want every team on our schedule, especially the SEC East teams, to be strong national contenders. The tougher our schedule the more it helps us get recognition.

That is why I was so dismayed when South Carolina hired Muschamp. I understand why some think it is a good hire. He fooled a lot of Gators as well. I also understand why many Gamecock fans are trying to be positive regardless of what they actually think. I get it. I just think it is misguided.

I have heard a lot of people claim that Muschamp will become a great coach. He has supporters. They can never tell you what exactly it is though that will transform him into a good coach. They just say that he is enthusiastic and likable.

My dog is enthusiastic and likeable, that will never make her a good football coach. On the other hand, I can explain exactly how Muschamp failed at Florida.

Developing a Plan for Success

When Spurrier arrived at Florida he immediately announced that he had no idea who his starting QB was going to be, but he would win the SEC player of the year award. Then he took a 4th string QB named Shane Matthews and turned him into the SEC player of the year.

Spurrier in his prime had developed a proven system that he knew would work. He had a plan.

When Muschamp arrived he simply stated that we would be a blue collar team that worked hard, ran downhill and played a line of scrimmage game. He had no plan, he just had a vague idea of what he wanted his team to look like.

Recruiting

To run downhill and win a line of scrimmage game you need OL. Lots of OL. In the first two years that Muschamp was the head coach at UF he recruited a total of 4 OL. In contrast, during that same time period he recruited 11 players for the secondary which happens to be the position he takes great pride in coaching.

Florida is considered one of the best recruiting grounds for skill players in the country. UF has a built in natural advantage with it's location. Every UF coach has recruited well. However, Muschamp could not land top ranked offensive skill position players on a consistent basis.

It was obvious that Muschamp was not going to field an offense with a passing dimension. Wide receivers were blockers and quarterbacks were just there to hand the ball off.

He tends to get highly rated recruiting classes, but he stocks up on defensive players and completely neglects the offense.

Offense

In his time at Florida he changed offensive coordinators as often as most people change underwear. The offense did not work under any of them. The truly curious thing though is that the offense always looked exactly the same regardless of who the OC was.

Our offense ran the ball on first down a very high percentage of the time. Muschamp made it clear over and over that he wanted a hard nosed running team. While he was the head coach at UF he said, on more than one occasion, that when you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad.

When your offense has clear, well defined tendencies it is easy to game plan a defense. Stack the box on first down and create second and long. Our offensive line was undisciplined, but they also appeared to lack talent (more on that later). It is hard for even highly talented lines to open holes when the defense knows what you are doing. Muschamp's offense was always ranked near the bottom nationally.

The only offensive statistic that Muschamp continually referenced was time of possession. He truly cared about winning time of possession. His philosophy is that the purpose of the offense is to run clock so the defense can stay rested and win the game.

There were multiple occasions when Florida would find itself losing the game and in possession of the ball in good field position with only a couple of minutes left in the first half. Muschamp was very consistent in that situation. He would run the clock out. He purposefully made the decision to not try to score points.

It is not embellishment to say that Muschamp hates offense.

Defense

Muschamp recruited, fielded and game planned very good defenses while at UF. They were some of the most talented defenses I have ever personally seen at UF. However, they completely lacked discipline. It was a common thing for the defense to get a critical third or fourth down stop and then commit a stupid dead ball personal foul. That is basically a defensive turnover. They gave the ball back to the other team.

For me, it was easy to see how this was repeatedly happening. In any organization the person at the top sets a culture. Everyone else gets permissions from that person on acceptable behavior within the organization.

Muschamp was always out of control on the sidelines. The man is seemingly incapable of controlling his emotions. It is a detriment to the team. I have witnessed him ignoring the game and violently screaming at the referees over something that happened several plays ago. He loses all perspective and the ability to focus on what is currently happening.

Then his defense commits an emotional dead ball personal foul and gives the ball back to the other team. Muschamp sets a culture where it is acceptable to lose self control and focus.

I honestly think there is a small chance that Muschamp's coaching career will one day end with him punching a referee.

Responsibility

There is no doubt that Muschamp is a hard worker. This section is not about that type of responsibility. In order to evolve and grow you must accept responsibility for the choices, actions and results in your life. Everyone makes errors, the truly successful use that experience to adapt. Basically, there are two types of coaches, those who achieve at a high level and those who have really good reasons why they do not. Muschamp falls in the latter category.

When Muschamp started losing he constantly told anyone that would listen that when he arrived the cupboard was bare. He was eager to blame the previous regime for his current lack of success.

However, the numbers do not back up that claim. Muschamp inherited 18 players that would eventually be drafted by the NFL. Three more Gators that played for Muschamp are expected to be drafted this year and more will be next year as well. There are a lot of college coaches that would love to have that many future NFL players on their roster.

Yet even with all that talent Muschamp could only manage 28 wins. His 2013 4-8 record was the worst at UF since the Gators last had a losing record in 1979. That year Muschamp found a new excuse - injuries.

Actually, injuries plagued every Muschamp team at Florida. A long list of injured players was a mainstay during his tenure. Many wondered if it had anything to do with the revamped strength and conditioning program led by newly hired assistant coach Jeff Dillman. There is no proof of any connection, but the unusually large number of injuries sustained over a long period of time might suggest a need to reevaluate the strength and conditioning program. As per usual with Muschamp, he stubbornly stayed the course. If nothing else, he is very loyal. He has hired Dillman again at South Carolina.

Even with all of the injuries, no one saw the loss to Georgia Southern coming. Florida had one of the most highly rated defenses in the nation. The game was being played at the Swamp. Florida had never in it's entire history lost to a lower tier football program.

In addition, lower tier programs are not allowed to have the 85 scholarship players upper division teams can sign. Florida had 20 more scholarship players than their lowly opponent. To top it off, Georgia Southern had also experienced an inordinate number of injuries. They were actually missing more injured starters than UF. Georgia Southern had to start a third string OL due to injuries. I am not sure what level of talent a third string Ga Southern player possesses, but I am fairly certain it would not earn you a scholarship at UF.

In that game Georgia Southern only attempted three passes and they did not complete any. Not one completion. Our defensive genius head coach was playing with a stacked deck. He had every conceivable advantage and he lost.

Georgia Southern ran for 429 yards averaging just under 8 yards per carry. They had 3 different running backs with a long run over 40 yards. This even though we only allowed them 57 offensive plays. Georgia Southern turned the ball over twice and the Gators did not have a single turnover. The Gators were only flagged for 2 penalties the entire game. Still, Muschamp found a way to lose.

This is the same Georgia Southern team that lost to Wofford, Samford, Furman and got blown out by Appalachian State. It is inexplicable.

When you have already lost the confidence of the fan base and then you lose to Georgia Southern in that fashion, you come to the press conference and admit that what you are doing is simply not working. You just come clean and announce that you are going to have to reevaluate, learn from the experience and change how you do things.

Not Muschamp. Muschamp showed his usual lack of composure and yelled about midlines. He actually tried to convince everyone that Georgia Southern's offense is just unstoppable. He explained that they won by utilizing midlines and I quote "midlines take the talent out of the equation". He never bothered to explain why, given his knowledge of magical midlines, we did not use them to help our offense. Apparently, Georgia Southern has a monopoly on midlines.

Muschamp is the very definition of stubborn. He remains convinced that he did everything absolutely right at UF and it was forces outside his control that caused his downfall. He would rather lose using his dysfunctional system than admit he is wrong and change.

I honestly believe that he brought so many of his ex-Gator assistant coaches to South Carolina because he wants to prove that he can win without changing anything.

Developing Players

As stated previously, Muschamp had a lot of future NFL talent on his teams. He excelled at developing defensive talent. His record with offensive talent is not as impressive.

Muschamp had no intention of developing a high powered offense. He was going to win games with his defense. In his mind, he just needed an offense that would not turn the ball over and his defense would do everything else. That meant minimal passing and lots of punting for field position.

Jacoby Brissett was the QB under Muschamp for a period of time. In 2 seasons at UF he threw for 455 yards with 3 TDs, 4 INTs and 5 sacks. He transferred to NC State and promptly became the starter (after the obligatory one year transfer rule). In 2 seasons at NC State he has thrown for 5,054 yards with 42 TDs, 9 INTs and 61 sacks.

High School Gatorade National Player of the Year Jeff Driskell played so poorly in Muschamp's system he was almost universally disliked by Florida fans. In 4 seasons at UF (medical redshirt) he threw for 3,411 yards with 23 TDs, 20 Ints and 55 sacks. In his one season after transferring to La Tech he has thrown for 4,033 yards with 27 TDs, 8 Ints and 19 sacks.

Both are very capable QB's that could not find any success in Muschamp's system. That pattern holds true for many offensive players that have found success once they were free of Muschamp's offensive philosophy.

Constantly changing offensive coordinators made no difference because no matter who was in the position, they had to run Muschamp's offense. Minimal passing, minimal risk, run clock and let the defense win the game. There was very little room to actually develop offensive players.

The one bright spot is that you can always count on Muschamp to have really good reasons why his teams fail to achieve.

Gators laughed when we hired this guy. Thanks ray.

This is what you call a post that aged very well.
When I first started reading the thread, I didn't pay any attention to the date and thought it was current. Four years later and nothing has changed.
I didn't know WM not only brought his old failed OC from Fla but his S&C coach, too. Something is amiss in WM's mind.
Read one poster @VirgilCaine who stated that the reason WM hires lacklustre assts is because he doesn't want to be out of the limelight. I think that's true.
I appreciate the OP taking the time and effort to post a long and intelligent post. Don't get some posters jumping on him for doing that. Falling back on the old tired tactic of "tater" calling. Reading posts is why we visit forums. Discouraging posters is counter productive.
I have a long list of ignored posters. Usually the only reason I ignore posters is because of personal insults. Another reason is because of bigotry and hatred.

Remember we essentially put the nail in the coffin for Muschamp at UF in '14 with that OT win in the swamp. I have no clue how we came back and won that game. Now the coach who somehow lost that game is our head coach. Woohoo

Reactions: TheMuleCock
This is what you call a post that aged very well.
When I first started reading the thread, I didn't pay any attention to the date and thought it was current. Four years later and nothing has changed.
I didn't know WM not only brought his old failed OC from Fla but his S&C coach, too. Something is amiss in WM's mind.
Read one poster @VirgilCaine who stated that the reason WM hires lacklustre assts is because he doesn't want to be out of the limelight. I think that's true.
I appreciate the OP taking the time and effort to post a long and intelligent post. Don't get some posters jumping on him for doing that. Falling back on the old tired tactic of "tater" calling. Reading posts is why we visit forums. Discouraging posters is counter productive.
I have a long list of ignored posters. Usually the only reason I ignore posters is because of personal insults. Another reason is because of bigotry and hatred.

Same here. I thought someone posted that last night. It's spot on.

I remember the day we made this hire . I was working and my phone got flooded by like 100 texts and emails from all my Gator friends laughing and Apologizing for the death of our program . After his second year I told them to go it crow and their response was ... “Just wait and see , we thought the same thing” lol . The OP nailed it years ago . Absolutely nothing changed .

Extremely discouraging to see how accurate the OP was/is. I'm still pulling for a miraculous turnaround, but I'm just not optimistic. I truly like WM as an individual (as much as one can without personally knowing someone), but I'm really losing faith in him as a HBC.....:oops:

And I've not said anything negative about our AD, but here we sit with a coach who may be flaming out, but has this ridiculous buyout keeping him afloat. Why, oh why?

Reactions: rhinocock72
What's funny about this is that he absolutely has changed. He's more aggressive offensively, he doesn't care as much about time of possession and wants explosive offensive plays. He's embraced the RPO and a throw-first offense, when it seems like a good game plan. He's prioritized offensive line and defensive line recruiting, and has put together two good units. He's shown a willingness to play more zone defensively. He's stuck with the Buck, but will go traditional 1 gap with bigger lineman when he needs to, etc. He has been more flexible and more progressive overall.

The team just doesn't execute well, and his game plans are wrong too often and the staff is really slow to adjust what's not working-- both in terms of play calling and switching personnel. It's like he over-thinks things in the film room, gives his players too much to think about and then is often overwhelmed on game day.

What's funny about this is that he absolutely has changed. He's more aggressive offensively, he doesn't care as much about time of possession and wants explosive offensive plays. He's embraced the RPO and a throw-first offense, when it seems like a good game plan. He's prioritized offensive line and defensive line recruiting, and has put together two good units. He's shown a willingness to play more zone defensively. He's stuck with the Buck, but will go traditional 1 gap with bigger lineman when he needs to, etc. He has been more flexible and more progressive overall.

The team just doesn't execute well, and his game plans are wrong too often and the staff is really slow to adjust what's not working-- both in terms of play calling and switching personnel. It's like he over-thinks things in the film room, gives his players too much to think about and then is often overwhelmed on game day.

The primary thing that's stuck out to me is how often we seem to show up totally unprepared. It's a bit confusing b/c Champ preaches discipline as much any other coach out there. The way we showed up to the UK game last year, the Belk Bowl and the Mizzou game has been representative of Will's teams.

On top of that, as you mention, we seem to show up with the totally wrong game plan far too often. And he's stubborn. The Mizzou game was prime example. Your QB is as off as any QB has ever been, yet we don't really try to establish the run.

It does beg the discussion of game plan vs execution. Any game plan looks great when it's executed well and no game plan looks good when it isn't executed well. But it's the coaches jobs to get players to execute.

For me, I just come back to my first point time and time again. We simply look unprepared far too often.

The primary thing that's stuck out to me is how often we seem to show up totally unprepared. It's a bit confusing b/c Champ preaches discipline as much any other coach out there. The way we showed up to the UK game last year, the Belk Bowl and the Mizzou game has been representative of Will's teams.

On top of that, as you mention, we seem to show up with the totally wrong game plan far too often. And he's stubborn. The Mizzou game was prime example. Your QB is as off as any QB has ever been, yet we don't really try to establish the run.

It does beg the discussion of game plan vs execution. Any game plan looks great when it's executed well and no game plan looks good when it isn't executed well. But it's the coaches jobs to get players to execute.

For me, I just come back to my first point time and time again. We simply look unprepared far too often.

And allllll of that wrapped up is what is beginning to sway me to the notion that he will just not be a good HC. And honestly, I hate that for the guy.

Reactions: MIghtee

The Missouri game is a great example of a staff being predictable and not thinking about the opposing team's tendencies. Because Saban ran his cover 3, lower pressure, playing over calls, to keep South Carolina from hitting big plays, they assumed Missouri would show that same kind of respect. But, of course, Odom was never going to do that. He was going to blitz, get pressures from overloads and jump every underneath route from the inside shoulder. And yet, South Carolina's game plan was all underneath throws, from 3-wide sets with limited protection. So, you're asking your freshman QB to make really hard side-line throws, with tight coverage, and under heavy rush. Every time. They did this almost every time.

Reactions: Dizzy01 and MIghtee
And allllll of that wrapped up is what is beginning to sway me to the notion that he will just not be a good HC. And honestly, I hate that for the guy.

Yeah, I like Muschamp. I just wish he could translate his football knowledge into on-field production. Heck, I wish he could translate 25% of his football knowledge into on-field production. We'd be top 15 for sure.

There probably aren't 5 coaches in college football who have a better technical grasp of the game than Muschamp does. Something just gets lost in translation between his head and the field.

Reactions: jerryusc and 92Pony
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT