ADVERTISEMENT

My first and only thread why Clemson football players don't leave early for the NFL

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Dabo puts the full court press on them, no doubt and I'm of the opinion that ample "spending money" is provided but I think the pedestal the players are put on is the main reason, greater than any other team anywhere else in America. The main and only real focus of anything Clemson is the football team, not other sports or academics, just football. Many of these kids come from very poor environments and never in their wildest dreams could they envision the complete worship they receive on campus at Clemson. The fans, the students and the faculity are "all in". They are royalty at school with no financial worry and find it very hard to walk away from the warm cocoon that is Clemson University. They call it love and family but in reality, it's hero worship of a magnitude unmatched on any other campus. The ones that you see on the sidelines that played in years gone by are many and the ones that were really good are living legends in Pickens county. We hear about the "brand Clemson sells ", well this is the real brand. All part of Swinney's grand scheme of things albeit on the shady side in my estimation.

Dabo puts the full court press on them, no doubt and I'm of the opinion that ample "spending money" is provided but I think the pedestal the players are put on is the main reason, greater than any other team anywhere else in America. The main and only real focus of anything Clemson is the football team, not other sports or academics, just football. Many of these kids come from very poor environments and never in their wildest dreams could they envision the complete worship they receive on campus at Clemson. The fans, the students and the faculity are "all in". They are royalty at school with no financial worry and find it very hard to walk away from the warm cocoon that is Clemson University. They call it love and family but in reality, it's hero worship of a magnitude unmatched on any other campus. The ones that you see on the sidelines that played in years gone by are many and the ones that were really good are living legends in Pickens county. We hear about the "brand Clemson sells ", well this is the real brand. All part of Swinney's grand scheme of things albeit on the shady side in my estimation.

What?!? So how do you explain Watson, Williams, Leggett, Gallman, Scott etc. leaving early last year and
Kearse, Green, Lawson, Alexander leaving a couple years ago and
Hearn, Cain, McCloud, Smith leaving early this year? (I could go on and on)

you could input most big time college football programs at the top of that statement and most of what was said could describe their program

Reactions: acmnni1

What?!? So how do you explain Watson, Williams, Leggett, Gallman, Scott etc. leaving early last year and
no way Forrest was changing Watson's mind. Too much money

Reactions: Lakecock1
I'm talking about this year's crop and all the ones before them, not every player ever to wear the Purple and Orange. More stay at Clemson. Hope this clears up things a little bit for you.

How about Payton Manning? I admire the guys that stay and graduate. The league will still be there. And money ain't everything, at least some people realize that. And the league sin't everything either.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
How about Payton Manning? I admire the guys that stay and graduate. The league will still be there. And money ain't everything, at least some people realize that. And the league sin't everything either.
Peyton Manning had plenty of family money to fall back on I’d assume. Most people don’t have that. I agree that money “ain’t everythin”, but it’s a big reason for getting a degree in the first place.

Peyton Manning had plenty of family money to fall back on I’d assume. Most people don’t have that. I agree that money “ain’t everythin”, but it’s a big reason for getting a degree in the first place.
That was also a different time period when there were fewer players leaving early. Now everybody seems to want to leave early.

When it's life changing money, any sane person should take it. Those guys can always go back and get their degree when their playing days are over.

It's selfish of us to expect these kids to come back to school with early round money at stake.

I agree. The bad thing is that it isn't life changing money. Look how many of these former NFLers are broke and destitute after being scammed or some woman taking their money, did not obtain their degree later and have nothing to fall back on. Outside The Lines had a show on that some years ago. And then we have those with effects of concussion. It ain't all sunshine even with the NBAers. Many ended up broke. Mismanagement and bilked by people who took their money like the baseball investment guy. Can't scam anybody out of a degree.

Watson had already been exploited by the idiot by tearing his ACL in practice then playing him in a full game on it. He learned his lesson and understood what that idiot is all about.

It was Watson's idea to play against SC with the ACL tear. He promised one of his High School coaches that the Tigers would never lose to the Gamecocks while he was there.

You didn't provide any evidence that Clemson doesn't have focus on academics or other sports.

I don't think Clemson players get 'worshiped' anymore than players at SC and other colleges.

Both Cain and Mike Williams are leaving early and most people don't think they will be high draft picks. Doesn't that undermine your premise?

Reactions: carolimamike864
Any college player that is projected to be a first round draft pick (top ten) and elects to return is either stupid or on the take. Case closed.

Was Chubb stupid or on the take? Which of those would you say to him personally? Or to Ferrell?
Its easy to say such things when one's own school doesn't have that happen, hasn't had it happen, and is not going to see it happen in the forseeable future. Easier yet behind a keyboard.

You didn't provide any evidence that Clemson doesn't have focus on academics or other sports.

I don't think Clemson players get 'worshiped' anymore than players at SC and other colleges.

Both Cain and Mike Williams are leaving early and most people don't think they will be high draft picks. Doesn't that undermine your premise?
Cain is leaving this year and Mike Williams was a top ten pick last year. Don't embarrass yourself by typing.

Was Chubb stupid or on the take? Which of those would you say to him personally? Or to Ferrell?
Its easy to say such things when one's own school doesn't have that happen, hasn't had it happen, and is not going to see it happen in the forseeable future. Easier yet behind a keyboard.
Deebo is coming back.

I am convinced now more than ever you are a tater.

I don't know why people post stuff on here like manifold that end up on www.tigernet2.com. Then again, its pretty sad the tater fans are concerned about every word uttered about them and copy it over on tigernet2. Everybody knows they are doing the same things they did in the late 70s and early 80s to win at the highest level. It's a shame the NCAA doesn't care anymore.

Reactions: BigTomE
Jesus. Surely you are aware that in the last few years Clemson has probably had more JRs declare for the draft than just about any school in the country, right? And I guess you missed the 4 UGA studs that all came back last year - Chubb, Michel, Carter & Bellamy?

They don't care about academics? ... yeah, check out their rankings and how tough it is to get accepted there. I mean, c'mon man.

They only care about football? Check the basketball rankings. And baseball. And soccer. Etc, etc. They're all ranked higher than us.

Look, we're all sick about where their football program is right now, but all these goofy conspiracy theories are ridiculous. Just stop.

Any college player that is projected to be a first round draft pick (top ten) and elects to return is either stupid or on the take. Case closed.
That's the problem. Most teams are taking offensive players (mostly QBs and OL) this season, so he has been pushed to the second round. He's waiting to hear something from one one of the franchises (don't know which one) as to whether or not they would take him round one. If they won't, he would be a second round pick and it would be a difference of several million dollars.

He did....as did Luck. Both families are very well off.

Clemson doing well in football and other sports is actually a great selling point to recruits for SC. Have the opportunity to play in a big state rivalry.

The people that say any player is STUPID for not going pro are the same kind of people that thought Bobby Jones was stupid for not becoming a professional golfer. They just don't get it.

Reactions: Cumberlandsc
Saying somebody is stupid for not jumping to the NFL as soon as possible is stupid? No. That's stupid.

Not sure if that really matters. Do expect because the kids family is well off their parents will just give them millions of dollars right out of college?
Depends on their aspirations. If Luck had not gone to the NFL, he probably would've gone to law school like both of his parents...both of whom are very successful. He had it made regardless.

Clemson men's soccer team was in the national title game with Stanford two years ago.

Clemson recently finished renovating the basketball arena which included adding the nation's largest centerhung curved videoboard.

It is currently building a new tennis facility.

A softball team has been added and they will be building a stadium for that soon.

Clemson hosts several rowing tournaments a year featuring teams from around the country, and has hosted ACC tournament the past 4 years or so.

I imagine a lot of the parents want their kid to stay until they get their degree, because no guarantee it works out in NFL.
Exactly. Unless you’re a first or second rounder. That first contract as a first rounder would pay more than most 4 year degrees will in a lifetime.

If you made $80k for 40 years that’s $3.2 million. Time to get your degree when you retire or that first contract doesn’t work out.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT