ADVERTISEMENT

My wish list for Head Ball Coach

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
1. Must be tireless and enthusiastic about the job, the kids, and the university. This is a good job and we have a great product to build. This job takes energy from the early morning to the late evening. If you can't bring that to the table, please move on. I'd even take a bit of corn ball flavor to the the enthusiasm! You need to be able to enjoy this and make it fun; yes it will not always be that way but so much of it should be. I'd like to see the kids play together with joy- not flexing on opponents or running their mouths. I'd love to see our kids celebrate each other after something good- leave behind the flexing and jawing.

2. Must be innovative and be willing to give the kids a chance to win. Coaches ultimately are here to put the kids in the best position with the best chance to win. From there you must trust them and they need to trust each other. We will need innovation to be competitive in our league. If things are not working- make a change. Coaches cannot win games- they can only lose them, and the best way to lose them is to wait around for a win to fall into your lap. Your [layers have to go get it over and over again.

3. Must have a track record of identifying and developing players. We have good players in this program right now and we will bring in good players but if they are not developed, it doesn't matter. A three star guy developed properly in year 5 should be able to compete with just about anyone in this league. I'm good with allowing time for this development to take place and I think Gamecock Nation is as well. We aren't going to go out and pick up all the 5 stars (not for now anyway) so we need to focus on development.

4. Must be willing to hold staff accountable; including themselves. This coaching profession is a brotherhood and these guys are often reluctant to make the difficult decisions to enforce accountability and/or let someone go. Therefore there needs to be clear markers and expectations for the staff to meet or there will be clear consequences.

5. Be honest. We see the product on the field. Please treat us with some respect and take ownership of the good and the bad. No more- I need to review the tape BS. Be honest with your coaches, the university, the alumni, the media (as much as practical) , and the kids.

Feel free to add to the list. This past five years has been just awful; this team has been often joyless and rudderless. I don't blame the kids. I blame you-know-who. All that said, I'm a Gamecock and whatever kid shows up in Garnet and Black and gives it a go with all they got will have my backing and blessing. Any sport. Any time.

1. Must be tireless and enthusiastic about the job, the kids, and the university. This is a good job and we have a great product to build. This job takes energy from the early morning to the late evening. If you can't bring that to the table, please move on. I'd even take a bit of corn ball flavor to the the enthusiasm! You need to be able to enjoy this and make it fun; yes it will not always be that way but so much of it should be. I'd like to see the kids play together with joy- not flexing on opponents or running their mouths. I'd love to see our kids celebrate each other after something good- leave behind the flexing and jawing.

2. Must be innovative and be willing to give the kids a chance to win. Coaches ultimately are here to put the kids in the best position with the best chance to win. From there you must trust them and they need to trust each other. We will need innovation to be competitive in our league. If things are not working- make a change. Coaches cannot win games- they can only lose them, and the best way to lose them is to wait around for a win to fall into your lap. Your [layers have to go get it over and over again.

3. Must have a track record of identifying and developing players. We have good players in this program right now and we will bring in good players but if they are not developed, it doesn't matter. A three star guy developed properly in year 5 should be able to compete with just about anyone in this league. I'm good with allowing time for this development to take place and I think Gamecock Nation is as well. We aren't going to go out and pick up all the 5 stars (not for now anyway) so we need to focus on development.

4. Must be willing to hold staff accountable; including themselves. This coaching profession is a brotherhood and these guys are often reluctant to make the difficult decisions to enforce accountability and/or let someone go. Therefore there needs to be clear markers and expectations for the staff to meet or there will be clear consequences.

5. Be honest. We see the product on the field. Please treat us with some respect and take ownership of the good and the bad. No more- I need to review the tape BS. Be honest with your coaches, the university, the alumni, the media (as much as practical) , and the kids.

Feel free to add to the list. This past five years has been just awful; this team has been often joyless and rudderless. I don't blame the kids. I blame you-know-who. All that said, I'm a Gamecock and whatever kid shows up in Garnet and Black and gives it a go with all they got will have my backing and blessing. Any sport. Any time.

You've done a pretty good job of describing the essentials as far as I'm concerned.

It's always going to be about what it's always been about: getting all the right people together. It's more complex than ever on the player front now. You not only have to recruit them in high school, but those you need in your program have to be recruited all the time once they are at your place. Roster management has never been more complex and ongoing and the coach who can do it the best has the greatest chance of continued success.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers
i6N-DD9f_400x400.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT