ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody got any good new music recommendations? Love the Greta Van Fleet referral several months

Brown Sabbath. A Latin Black Sabbath band with horns and funky percussion.
See also McSabbath...they’re all loosely dressed like McDonalds characters. Grimace is an amazing lead guitarist! In full costume, it’s amazing he can shred at all! Sweetleaf is Sweetbeef, with lyrics aimed at The Big Mac! Hilarious, but good!

Last edited:
images

Hubba Hubba

So lately, I have been going back and listening to old skool stuff from the mid 90's, as well as listening to various playlists of newer alternative artists. Now for the next few I mention, I have only listened to a handfull of songs but I really dig what I have heard.........Chappo, Half Moon Run, Maggie Rodgers, City and Color, Katie Pruitt, Ruston Kelly (Mockingbird) LOVE that song. In the vein of Ryan Adams....Sara Bareilles, John Moreland. Than for the going back to the mid 90's - laugh at me if you must - but there are very few musicians that in my opinion can write like late 80's/early 90's Indigo Girls. Lyrics are friggin' incredible. Then there is Kristen Hall, who was one of the founders of Sugarland. Big, fat lesbian - but the girl can write. Will post a few vids in the next round....

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I really tried to like Greta Van Fleet, but I just think it’s a band that has roots in another era that no longer exists. But if it did, they’d be blown away by a band with real talent.

in other words, I like the sound and lyricism at face value, but it’s instrumentally boring and there’s not enough variation in their songs...

I really tried to like Greta Van Fleet, but I just think it’s a band that has roots in another era that no longer exists. But if it did, they’d be blown away by a band with real talent.

in other words, I like the sound and lyricism at face value, but it’s instrumentally boring and there’s not enough variation in their songs...

Well, how many rock bands have been influenced by old bluesmen? I like GVF, but I see them as a carbon copy of Zepp (who were successfully sued by Willie Dixon for ripping off "Whole Lotta Love"). Dixon himself ripped it off another musician who wasn't versed in legal matters.

Last edited:
Well, how many rock bands have been influenced by old bluesmen? I like GVF, but I see them as a carbon copy of Zepp (who were successfully sued by Willie Dixon for ripping off "Whole Lotta Love"). Dixon himself ripped it off another musician who wasn't verse in legal matters.
That was less my point than the fact that they are nowhere close to the talent level of those artists who peformed in the era that influenced them...

That was less my point than the fact that they are nowhere close to the talent level of those artists who peformed in the era that influenced them...
Agreed. But they stand out because they're a genuine rock act and some people are starving for rock right now.

BTW, check out Black Country Communion. A real rock band.

Reactions: Sending an SOS
This Song is So Raw You Will Check yourself Into Rehab Even If You Are Stone Cold sober.
Benjamin Tod
Using again

Has The Main Squeeze been mentioned?

Wow glad to see them brought up . My band has opened for them numerous times . They are absolutely fantastic . See they just played Red Rocks . Their new album is insane . I actually talked to Corey a few weeks ago . Glad to see the success their having . Those cats have been grinding for a long time .

Reactions: TheReelEss
Wow glad to see them brought up . My band has opened for them numerous times . They are absolutely fantastic . See they just played Red Rocks . Their new album is insane . I actually talked to Corey a few weeks ago . Glad to see the success their having . Those cats have been grinding for a long time .

You can tell it in their music.

Great thread. Keep the suggestions coming!

I just recently heard Loudon Wainwright III for the first time and this guy is a national treasure! Funny, catchy songs with gibberish for lyrics!

Solid gold right here:

Just heard Ancient Land by Celtic Woman.

It starts with their voices (4 women) in your ear, then reaches down into your soul and heart,
Not for all but, addictive for some.

Great thread. Keep the suggestions coming!

I just recently heard Loudon Wainwright III for the first time and this guy is a national treasure! Funny, catchy songs with gibberish for lyrics!

Solid gold right here:

I have one LW3 album Career Moves, can't tell you how many times I've listened to that one. Pretty much just him and a guitar live on in a small club. Exceptional writer

Reactions: Nounissuck
I went back and listened to the Warren Zevon catalogue. A truly unique talent, with a unusual sense of humor in his lyrics. If you ever heard Sentimental Hygiene you'll know what I mean.

Reactions: SCspur1
Just saw a two hour video of Pigeons Playing Ping Pong live off my daughter's phone. They travel to a lot of their concerts because her husband does some artwork for the band. Absolutely floored me how good they are. I mean wide range of amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT