ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody got any good new music recommendations? Love the Greta Van Fleet referral several months

If there are any Big Star fans on here, go check out a new band called Rookie, not a bad song on the album, but this is the best rocker, great guitar work! Takes me back!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCspur1
Right in your backyard ... Marcus King Band from Greenville . Especially if your into Allman Brothers or Blues and Soul . I’m a big jamband/ funk guy so my list is a little different but they are all worth a listen :

The Fritz who are from Asheville incidentally
The Main Squeeze
Lettuce- for Nola Funk fans
JJ Gray and Mofro- for southern rock / soul
Brandon “taz” Neidemier- teenage Guitar god
Tedeshi Trucks Band
Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds
Gary Clark Jr
Umphrey’s Mcgee- check out the album Zonkey , it’s a funny record
The Revivalists- One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen

For a few off the beaten path bands I’ve seen that lately that are amazing .. Check out “Come Back Alice” from Tampa , “The Groove Orient” from Jacksonville and especially if your into the harder classic rock/ zeppelin “The Owsley Brothers” from Santa Rosa Beach Fl . Hope this helps .

Marcus King Band is the bomb.....

For those who dig Ryan Adams or Jason Isbell - I’ve been listening a lot to a guy named Ruston Kelly. He is married to Kacey Musgraves, who some of you might be familiar with. He’s also from Georgetown originally. Kind of singer-songwriter/alt-country. Really good writer.

For those who dig Ryan Adams or Jason Isbell - I’ve been listening a lot to a guy named Ruston Kelly. He is married to Kacey Musgraves, who some of you might be familiar with. He’s also from Georgetown originally. Kind of singer-songwriter/alt-country. Really good writer.
love Kacey, give me your favorite Ruston albums!

Never get tired of Dire Straits first 3 albums! Love that line from Chet Atkins on the duet, "you've played before".
That was from the album Neck & Neck a duo album with Chet and Knopfler. A very nice listen.
AMOV_1094__99187__08012014032345-4710.jpg

love Kacey, give me your favorite Ruston albums!
Dirt Emo and Rising Star are pretty good. Have kind of gone through all of his stuff on Spotify set to random but keep going back to those 2. Every now and then, I run across a track that I just cannot get out of my head and listen to it over and over and over again. "All too Well" has been that track for me so far. My girls are starting to roll their eyes when I play it because they have heard it a million times.....

Nathaniel Rateliff's new solo album is right on....Caught them at NOLA Jazz Fest in 2016 and they stole the show.

Nothing new, just thought you guitar guys would get a kick out of this. Never knew Jason was that good and can't believe he would sell a guitar that sounded that good! My son said it was worth 35k!

It’s not new, but I’ve been listening to and have told my children to listen to The Stars by Lady Antebellum. I tell them that the stars ain’t got nothing on you. I’ve been listening to Anchor by Skillet for me. Both are appropriate, given whats going on in my life currently.

It’s not new, but I’ve been listening to and have told my children to listen to The Stars by Lady Antebellum. I tell them that the stars ain’t got nothing on you. I’ve been listening to Anchor by Skillet for me. Both are appropriate, given whats going on in my life currently.
Lady A, dude. Say it right

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Had never heard of this girl till I saw the video above. Her name is Samantha Fish. Oh my gosh. This girl can play and has more soul than anyone since Janice Joplin.

Reactions: redrogers
Had never heard of this girl till I saw the video above. Her name is Samantha Fish. Oh my gosh. This girl can play and has more soul than anyone since Janice Joplin.

Samantha is awesome !! One of the last shows I saw before the shutdown . She’s an absolute sweetheart too . Here’s another one to keep an eye on . Melanie has crazy soul .

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
This might have already been mentioned here. But, in case not:

ABBA will release 5 new songs next year.

So a few new recommendations, if you like bluegrass and/or Sturgill Simpson you must check out his Cuttin' Grass album, many covers off his previous albums with a kickass band incl. Sierra Hull, Stuart Duncan and Tim O'Brien. Another bluegrass addition is the new Steep Canyon Rangers Arm in Arm, Jeremy Ivey - Waiting Out the Storm and a super one by Cordovas - Destiny Hotel, excellent guitar work boys, very Phishy w/ a little TP and Southern R&R thrown in for good measure! It's been a fairly long dry spell since Early James - Singing for my Supper. album of the year. so far!

Last edited:
Most diverse album I've heard this year, so many influences!

The dude can write!
Brent Cobb is one of my fav artists. We caught him with Chris Singleton. He (Cobb) was great. Marty Stewart's band, The Fabulous Superlatives, opened. They were really good as well. A little more rock and less country than you would expect. Stewart can play anything. And the other two acts had Stewart come out and shred away on guitar while they played. He appeared drunk and was still very good. I like off-the-beaten-path artists like these.

Last edited:
Classic rock is my only genre and as far as I know they stopped making records at the end of the 70s. Are any of the new bands releasing any music with that 70s rock sound? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Classic rock is my only genre and as far as I know they stopped making records at the end of the 70s. Are any of the new bands releasing any music with that 70s rock sound? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The aforementioned Greta Van Fleet are Zeppelin clones. Check out Black Country Communion.

Reactions: mUSiC-man

Scroll back a bit and check out the videos I posted on “Church of the Cosmic Skull”. Totally addicted to that band right now .

Reactions: mUSiC-man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT