ADVERTISEMENT

Pick One: Ray Tanner

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
1) 2 National Championships and a mess as an AD
2) Ray Tanner never existed in our program
3) He’s fine....Give him a raise (I added this to appease some others)

Last edited:
2) Ray Tanner never existed

I honestly see it as a toss-up

correction*

1) 2 NC in baseball as a coach, a NC in WBB and another year where covid ended the season while we were unanimous #1 in the nation in WBB, numerous SEC Championships in WBB, numerous DEEP NCAA tourney runs for WBB, and a MBB final four run while he is AD...

Or

🤔

correction*

1) 2 NC in baseball as a coach, a NC in WBB and another year where covid ended the season while we were unanimous #1 in the nation in WBB, numerous SEC Championships in WBB, numerous DEEP NCAA tourney runs for WBB, and a MBB final four run while he is AD...

Or

🤔
How did Tanner as AD contribute to Dawn’s success?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Right but he didn’t hire her so at best at least he didn’t fire her?
No, my point is that Ray may not have hired her, but you cannot paint his tenure as AD with a blanket “disaster” descriptor. He was AD here during our most successful run in WBB ever, and during some of the best times MBB has ever had too... He also hired Kingston for Baseball which may turn out to be a good hire if we keep building off the early success of this year... Sure there have been bad parts too, but the OP was picking and choosing what he wanted just to make things seem worse than they have been. An AD’s job is more than hiring and firing. He did not fire Dawn obviously, but if ya’ll think she has not had other offers or opportunities you are crazy. Ray has kept her here. He has bungled some stuff too- this MBB coaching situation is a mess! You take the good with the bad though and tossing Ray out there is no way to guarantee any of our major program NCs would have ever happened. It is not fair or reasonable to ignore all the good we have had with him as AD just because people are mad about some of the bad things that have happened.

No, my point is that Ray may not have hired her, but you cannot paint his tenure as AD with a blanket “disaster” descriptor. He was AD here during our most successful run in WBB ever, and during some of the best times MBB has ever had too... He also hired Kingston for Baseball which may turn out to be a good hire if we keep building off the early success of this year... Sure there have been bad parts too, but the OP was picking and choosing what he wanted just to make things seem worse than they have been. An AD’s job is more than hiring and firing. He did not fire Dawn obviously, but if ya’ll think she has not had other offers or opportunities you are crazy. Ray has kept her here. He has bungled some stuff too- this MBB coaching situation is a mess! You take the good with the bad though and tossing Ray out there is no way to guarantee any of our major program NCs would have ever happened. It is not fair or reasonable to ignore all the good we have had with him as AD just because people are mad about some of the bad things that have happened.
Yes but saying at least he didn’t screw up everything left for him isn’t a ringing endorsement.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

I honestly see it as a toss-up
2 easy. Don’t like beisbol. Outside of several dozen posters on this Board, nobody really even remembers SC won anything. Especially outside of SC.

I’d give up the the 2 Baseball Natl Championships if it meant Ray not being Athletic Director. If at the time I knew it meant avoiding the damage to the our football team (which is the meat and potatoes of college athletics) under his watch that has been going on for like 7 years now, and may not be reversible for decades. All that momentum built by Spurrier was thrown in the trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sumptacock
Yes but saying at least he didn’t screw up everything left for him isn’t a ringing endorsement.
That is not what I said, nor was I giving him a ringing endorsement. I was just pointing out the gross negligence of the OP’s post.

He kept Dawn from taking the Ohio State job a few years back. That's a fact.
Staley never even interviewed for the job. It was a Friday inquiry to a Monday withdrawal. She is an extremely smart woman and she used that inquiry as a way to push back against the NCAA ban on post season events in South Carolina.

Staley never even interviewed for the job. It was a Friday inquiry to a Monday withdrawal. She is an extremely smart woman and she used that inquiry as a way to push back against the NCAA ban on post season events in South Carolina.
She visited Ohio State. It wasn't just an inquiry.

Tanner is an incompetent AD who was never qualified for the position but I'll still take the 2 national titles.

How did Tanner as AD contribute to Dawn’s success?
He kept her happy and still employed at the University, including making it financially viable for her to stay. She could easily get almost any head coaching job in the country that she wants. So on that front he's done a great job as an AD. Honestly in women's sports in general he's done a good job. We seem to be pretty competitive across the board on that side.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Ray also did not hire Frank Martin and as you see obviously he would not have been the sole sources in firing him even if he tried. Tanner has run an efficient and economically solvent athletic department. The issue here comes into play that the President has interjected himself into being the judge and jury for the football program which usurps Tanner's Role. This is why this basketball thing has gotten so messy. Not that he may have waited a little long to make a call on the football coach but I would expect him to see certain signs as he was a coach also before making the call. He is a good AD but most people are mad because he didnt fire Frank two years after a final four or Muschamp two years after a New Years Day bowl victory. The buyouts were pushed by the board to secure who they felt at the time were their coaches for the long haul. I don't believe in we are mad with the board's decisions so fire the AD. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion

Explain...
I think he is just tired of people constantly bashing our team, players, coaches and admin... and the notion of fans PREFERRING that the best coach in mens’ athletics history (all programs) never even EXISTED because some people are butthurt about a couple bad seasons in MBB and FB is beyond petulant and completely insane.

That is my take anyway..

She didn't go through with the interview because when he found out they were interested, he called her agent and basically said "what do we need to do to make sure she doesn't get on the plane for a visit." That's a fact.

Ray also did not hire Frank Martin and as you see obviously he would not have been the sole sources in firing him even if he tried. Tanner has run an efficient and economically solvent athletic department. The issue here comes into play that the President has interjected himself into being the judge and jury for the football program which usurps Tanner's Role. This is why this basketball thing has gotten so messy. Not that he may have waited a little long to make a call on the football coach but I would expect him to see certain signs as he was a coach also before making the call. He is a good AD but most people are mad because he didnt fire Frank two years after a final four or Muschamp two years after a New Years Day bowl victory. The buyouts were pushed by the board to secure who they felt at the time were their coaches for the long haul. I don't believe in we are mad with the board's decisions so fire the AD. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion
I've been saying this for a long time.... the board insisted on giving Frank a big extension during the Final Four in '17 even though it wasn't time to do that yet. Now some members of the same board want Frank out. Frank's current buyout situation is on them.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Dumb question on multiple levels.

2 national titles at a time where we weren't winning much of anything put our program on the map. I still have out of town friends that know nothing about SC athletics except those 2 titles. Sorry, none of them care about women's hoops.

Ray has NOT been a disaster as an AD. What the hell did Eric Hyman do for our men's sports that were so good. He made two hires: Horn & Martin. 1 tournament in 17 years!
Ray was the AD during 2 of those 11 win seasons in football. He didn't hire Spurrier, but if we're going to give credit for success that had nothing to do with the AD (see Hyman), then Ray was there for that and our Final Four in men's basketball. Kingston is proving to be a good hire, and Beamer has a chance to do good things. He's well respected by coaches and media alike for actually knowing what it's like to be on the battlefield.

Hyman is still unemployed for a reason. You may be shocked when we hire a new AD and we still suck in basketball and are mediocre in football, LIKE WE'VE BEEN FOR 100 YEARS!!!

So, give him a nice pay increase and a new contract. UR funny. LOL

Ok - then maybe I’m misinterpreting the sentiment of this board then. Whether it’s RT or someone else (most think it’s RT at fault), this university is really screwing up royally.

Outside of WBB and a few other minor sports, I don’t really feel like our athletic program is in a good spot. Maybe others disagree.

Whoever made the contract decisions for both WM and FM really looks foolish right now. So blame whoever you want...

Ok - then maybe I’m misinterpreting the sentiment of this board then. Whether it’s RT or someone else (most think it’s RT at fault), this university is really screwing up royally.

Outside of WBB and a few other minor sports, I don’t really feel like our athletic program is in a good spot. Maybe others disagree.

Whoever made the contract decisions for both WM and FM really looks foolish right now. So blame whoever you want...
There have been/currently are plenty of issues to be upset about- certainly WM’s contract is one. I am no big fan of women’s athletics either, just stating the facts- that while be has bungled some things, he has had some things go well under his tenure as AD also. In fact- as either the HC or the AD- he has been here for every major national championship of any prominence won in the history of this University. People act like be is intentionally destroying sports here... It has gotten out of hand.

Personally- I do not count Frank’s contract among the mistakes. He took us to back to back record setting/record breaking seasons with a final four run. Built those teams from NOTHING.. The man DESERVED a big pay raise, extension.. Everything. They way they have handled this offseason on the other hand= complete DISASTER. If any of the rumors are to be believed though, it has more to do with powers well above Ray’s head bickering than Ray’s failings as an AD.

The other point I have made a few other places that I will interject here: we- unlike MANY Universities, some of which are bigger and richer than us- have not had to cut a single sports team yet due to budget constraints. Some places have cut out multiple sports!

I added another option for those who are are in support of Tanner. I guess I’m in the minority after all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT