ADVERTISEMENT

Pulling Destino

Destino was not going to get the job done.

maybe not.

my thinking was that only the man on second mattered. why give up an out?

the sac fly that would have scored the man if we had sacrificed successfully, would have probably moved to third on that play and still be on third with one away.

giving up an out with men on first and second with no outs (in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game) is not good strategy.

as always, IMHO.

Another Holbrook genius move. I would take Adam vs a lefty any day over pinch hitting Row for a bunt.
Gotta say I was SO hoping Holbrook was the guy to replace Tanner but I'm here to say he is NOT! He's had top-rated recruiting classes since taking over but has not developed them and cannot coach on game day. Changes have got to be made if we hope to keep our baseball program elite as it was when he inherited a top-notched program. We're in trouble and going back to mediocrity if they keep him in charge. Will be waiting to see what's ahead but this was a MUST-win series as far as I'm concerned!

"Come on in the water Chad. There is life after getting fired." - Smoke Laval

smokelaval.jpg

Gotta say I was SO hoping Holbrook was the guy to replace Tanner but I'm here to say he is NOT! He's had top-rated recruiting classes since taking over but has not developed them and cannot coach on game day. Changes have got to be made if we hope to keep our baseball program elite as it was when he inherited a top-notched program. We're in trouble and going back to mediocrity if they keep him in charge. Will be waiting to see what's ahead but this was a MUST-win series as far as I'm concerned!

Sadly, I agree.

If I was a major donor to the athletic department, I'd be in a holding pattern.
Gee whizz....Spurrier was allowed to run our football program into the dirt, Elliott was less than a short-lease, Muschamp just led us to the worst defeat ever, Martin lost again on the court and has never made the big dance,,,,,,,and because Holbrook loses to a tater team that is better than most want to give them credit, people want to burn Holbrook?
I agree the team is not winning to the level they should (given their talent), but the season is very young. I bet we make the tournament.......basketball might this year but never has, and football went from bad to worse with our 3rd or 4th choise for a hire), so ease up on CH. Can't fire him mid-season.

Gee whizz....Spurrier was allowed to run our football program into the dirt, Elliott was less than a short-lease, Muschamp just led us to the worst defeat ever, Martin lost again on the court and has never made the big dance,,,,,,,and because Holbrook loses to a tater team that is better than most want to give them credit, people want to burn Holbrook?
I agree the team is not winning to the level they should (given their talent), but the season is very young. I bet we make the tournament.......basketball might this year but never has, and football went from bad to worse with our 3rd or 4th choise for a hire), so ease up on CH. Can't fire him mid-season.

Guess you haven't watched our baseball team any the last 5 seasons.

This has nothing to do with this current athletic year, or losing (again) to a Tater team that couldn't beat Wright State at home, this is something that's been trending for 5 years in the wrong direction. No company worth their salt would keep Chad on the payroll if they were honestly looking at his body of work....and especially if it were on the heels of one of the most successful periods in company history. They could not do it, they would not do it. Everyone on here knows it, and they wouldn't do it if it were their company either.

It is almost a lock he will be back next season. I swear if I didn't know better, I'd that CRT was tanking intentionally, and guaranteeing he's still the best HC in Carolina history.

Reactions: RaginRooster
Guess you haven't watched our baseball team any the last 5 seasons.

Yes I have.....here are the numbers::::
BASEBALL
Holbrook's Postseason.......4 years as HC
3 of the 4 made NCAA regionals.....that's like the Big Dance in basketball and one of the Top 32 bowl games.
Made Super Regionals 2 of 4 years (which is the equivalent of the Top 32 teams basketball teams and top 16 bowl games)

FOOTBALL
Football is WAY below 32 (more like 132......and don't give me the "talent" inherited). Just endured worst loss ever by an SEC team to an ACC team. Went to a bad bowl and lost to the S Fl Bulls.....

BASKETBALL
Haven't made the post-season Top 66 teams yet and downward trend at the end of each season continues, not to mention "player issues".

No, we're not displaying Ray Tanner like teams, but that was also an anamoly to our men's athlestic teams as we've never had NC teams.....yes, down from that, but don't over react to a loss to Clemson in baseball. Only part I disagreed with in game was pulling Destino, but had the other guy got the bunt down, we migh tnot be having this converstion....Chad can't make them swing or hit.

Reactions: Churrob
Yes I have.....here are the numbers::::
BASEBALL
Holbrook's Postseason.......4 years as HC
3 of the 4 made NCAA regionals.....that's like the Big Dance in basketball and one of the Top 32 bowl games.
Made Super Regionals 2 of 4 years (which is the equivalent of the Top 32 teams basketball teams and top 16 bowl games)

FOOTBALL
Football is WAY below 32 (more like 132......and don't give me the "talent" inherited). Just endured worst loss ever by an SEC team to an ACC team. Went to a bad bowl and lost to the S Fl Bulls.....

BASKETBALL
Haven't made the post-season Top 66 teams yet and downward trend at the end of each season continues, not to mention "player issues".

No, we're not displaying Ray Tanner like teams, but that was also an anamoly to our men's athlestic teams as we've never had NC teams.....yes, down from that, but don't over react to a loss to Clemson in baseball. Only part I disagreed with in game was pulling Destino, but had the other guy got the bunt down, we migh tnot be having this converstion....Chad can't make them swing or hit.
He is the new jack leggett. Face it.

Destino would have K or popped up. No way he would have bunted.
Destino is a junior who struck out looking with the game on the line yesterday. If you are going to depend on him this year, as a coach you have to show him you have confidence in him and give him an opportunity to redeem himself. What message did he send to one of his best hitters?

Probably, but that "gift" was the worst coaching decision of several poor ones in the past two games. The big problem is that none of this is shocking or new.
No, 3 games. Friday, Reagan was getting it done and Johnson was called on to finish when there was no reason to call on him. Then Saturday he was called in the 8th and probably was saving something for the ninth and got hit. Then Sunday he was not available. The bullpen was managed poorly all weekend and Holbrook surely had a lot to do with it.

I have always hated it when a guy is pitching well and he is pulled for no reason other than to let the "closer" finish. If the guy is tiring, gives up a hit, walk, HBP to start the inning, fine - pull him. If a guy is already warm and in a rhythm, why take him out? I`m not complaining about our coaches doing this - they all do this. I just don`t get it.

I have always hated it when a guy is pitching well and he is pulled for no reason other than to let the "closer" finish. If the guy is tiring, gives up a hit, walk, HBP to start the inning, fine - pull him. If a guy is already warm and in a rhythm, why take him out? I`m not complaining about our coaches doing this - they all do this. I just don`t get it.
I'm complaining.

Amen, brother! Preach!

Destino is a junior who struck out looking with the game on the line yesterday. If you are going to depend on him this year, as a coach you have to show him you have confidence in him and give him an opportunity to redeem himself. What message did he send to one of his best hitters?
Well said. He came here as power hitter. Now he is tentative. His bat speed has declined. Blame goes to a GAMECOCK great, Brian Buscher, as well.
Funny how this time last year Our biggest complaint was Esposito sending runners home and getting tagged by 2 feet repeatedly.

No, 3 games. Friday, Reagan was getting it done and Johnson was called on to finish when there was no reason to call on him. Then Saturday he was called in the 8th and probably was saving something for the ninth and got hit. Then Sunday he was not available. The bullpen was managed poorly all weekend and Holbrook surely had a lot to do with it.

Actually all pitching decisions rest solely with Jerry Myers, and always have, all the way back to his first stint here.

THAT is why he was pulled. In that situation, you go down swinging, not standing there doing nothing. It sends the message that if you aren't going to take the chance to get the job done, we'll find someone who will. We're supposed to be loaded with talent. Not that I necessarily would have put Row in after he watched 3 straight go by him Saturday.

If you recall we left JJ in the lineup too long last season trying to show him we have confidence in him, while at the same time complaining that we needed to get Hop in the lineup.

Last edited:
Didn't Row have two strikes on him before bunting out? I would've rather seen him swing away than try to bunt again. That was not a great at-bat. Really a lot of questionable decisions this weekend.

THAT is why he was pulled. In that situation, you go down swinging, not standing there doing nothing. It sends the message that if you aren't going to take the chance to get the job done, we'll find someone who will. We're supposed to be loaded with talent. Not that I necessarily would have put Row in after he watched 3 straight go by him Saturday.

If you recall we left JJ in the lineup too long last season trying to show him we have confidence in him, while at the same time complaining that we needed to get Hop in the lineup.
Not sure what your point is, are you saying Destino should have been pinch hit for because he struck out looking the day before? As far as the John jones analogy, you can't play baseball tense and wondering if you're going to get benched for a slump or bad plate appearance. I actually think Holbrook did the right thing with jones. If you want your players to give you everything, you have to have their back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT