ADVERTISEMENT

Pumper Logic Explained

They are 5-5 with one of the losses in overtime. That isn't Georgia, but it isn't Vanderbilt, Duke or Bowling Green either. 5-5 SEC teams are mediocre. Not terrible. Not good.
No. Mizzou is a 2-4 SEC team. If you’re going to claim the SEC, count the SEC record. That shows exactly where you stand.

No one let's a team get within 3 points to appear respectable. Especially not a team good enough to go up 14-0 on them if not a fumble. I get y'all are disappointed in the loss, but keep some perspective.
Thats not what I said. I said they appeared to let up (as in, they thought they had everything under control). As a result, we got the two quick scores which made the final score APPEAR closer than the game really was.

But when they had to, they ran the ball with ease to win the game.

No. Mizzou is a 2-4 SEC team. If you’re going to claim the SEC, count the SEC record. That shows exactly where you stand.
You have some traditional powerhouses in LSU and Florida with similar SEC records. A bunch of other teams like Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas just one game better. You must really be a glass half empty guy as by your way of looking at it, about half the SEC is terrible or only one win better. And if that much of the SEC is terrible, what about the other conferences? I think your definition of terrible gets more than half of college football. Vanderbilt is terrible. Not the rest.

You have some traditional powerhouses in LSU and Florida with similar SEC records. A bunch of other teams like Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas just one game better. You must really be a glass half empty guy as by your way of looking at it, about half the SEC is terrible or only one win better. And if that much of the SEC is terrible, what about the other conferences? I think your definition of terrible gets more than half of college football. Vanderbilt is terrible. Not the rest.
The bottom of the barrel is Mizzou, Vandy and us. We were 1 pt better than Vandy. Mizzou was 9 pts better than Vandy and 3 pts better than us.

The bottom of the barrel is Mizzou, Vandy and us. We were 1 pt better than Vandy. Mizzou was 9 pts better than Vandy and 3 pts better than us.

Wait, that would make the gamecocks the 13th out 14 sec schools.

To be fair though, UF is doing their best to wrestle 13th away from Beamer and banish him to 12th.

Reactions: Pauliecock
How many points better was SC than Florida? Don't they have a 2-5 SEC record? Why are they not "bottom of the barrel"?
In my opinion, SC is closer to Vandy and Mizzou as far as overall performance is concerned. That’s all I’m saying. You keep trying to separate us from Vandy. You claim that Vandy is terrible and the rest of the SEC is mediocre or better. I disagree. We’re pretty much on their level right now.

In my opinion, SC, Vandy or Mizzou wouldn’t win a game in the West. Florida is obviously in a tailspin and not the same team they were earlier in the season. But yes, I would say that Florida is competing for the bottom right now. That’s the bottom of the SEC barrel, IMO.

Just pointing out double standards. SC isn't a good team, but aren't as terrible at 5-5 as some here bemoan.
We are a horrendous team. How quickly you forget the scratching and clawing to beat such stalwarts as ECU and Troy. Then you have the GA, TEnn and A&M Rapes. We aren't good. We all hope for much better....I hope.
Yes UF has fallen off a cliff. Although I think there is more to the story internally... I just hope SC doesn't come down with 3-4 (much less 15-20) kids with some form of covid/flu/illness. That hurts. We get to keep the win 100%...but it was obvious they weren't right.

We are a horrendous team. How quickly you forget the scratching and clawing to beat such stalwarts as ECU and Troy. Then you have the GA, TEnn and A&M Rapes. We aren't good. We all hope for much better....I hope.
Yes UF has fallen off a cliff. Although I think there is more to the story internally... I just hope SC doesn't come down with 3-4 (much less 15-20) kids with some form of covid/flu/illness. That hurts. We get to keep the win 100%...but it was obvious they weren't right.
Based on how close the scores were between SC, Vandy and Mizzou......I think that underlines the idea that those teams are on the same level. It’s pretty bad when we are happy that we only lost by 3 to Mizzou. We all know it wasn’t really that close on the field. Very fortunate for us to be in that game late.

Yet we surpassed your prediction for wins this year…..

I totally agree that SC isn't good. I have said so several times. But you aren't Vanderbilt level either, which is what many here are making it sound like.

Reactions: WingchunCock
In my opinion, SC is closer to Vandy and Mizzou as far as overall performance is concerned. That’s all I’m saying. You keep trying to separate us from Vandy. You claim that Vandy is terrible and the rest of the SEC is mediocre or better. I disagree. We’re pretty much on their level right now.

In my opinion, SC, Vandy or Mizzou wouldn’t win a game in the West. Florida is obviously in a tailspin and not the same team they were earlier in the season. But yes, I would say that Florida is competing for the bottom right now. That’s the bottom of the SEC barrel, IMO.
Why isn't LSU there too, given their SEC record? You get that many teams and you have a pretty big bottomed barrel.

Why isn't LSU there too, given their SEC record? You get that many teams and you have a pretty big bottomed barrel.
Forget about LSU and Florida for a minute. You said Vandy is Duke kind of terrible. If you want to lift up Vandy to almost terrible and lump them in with SC and Mizzou, then that would be fair. We are not a mediocre team compared to Vandy or Mizzou. We are on their level. It’s up to you if you want to throw LSU or Florida in the mix. IMO, Mizzou, Vandy or SC don’t win a game in the West.

Most of you naysayers were predicting 2-3 wins. I’d say we’re not horrendous at all. Offense needs major improvement but the defense and STs are better.

That's odd, my memory was that many said that the 3 ooc patsies and vandy made 4 wins the floor. I remember saying that many times, and seeing it from others.

Most of you naysayers were predicting 2-3 wins. I’d say we’re not horrendous at all. Offense needs major improvement but the defense and STs are better.
I was distinctly WORRIED about ECU and Troy. I knew we should be able to show up and beat them considering ECU's and Vandy's recent record and program status. EIU of course. I thought we would win 3-4 games...maybe 5 given our Non conf. schedule lack of strength.
I've been surprised and happy we are at 5 wins right now. Nobody on earth saw UF collapse coming or predicted we would win that game. If we end up with 5 wins....although I'll take and love the UF win....it came under speculative circumstances.

Quite a few picked either Troy or ECU as a loss. Even at 4 wins we still exceeded that prediction.

I just bumped the prediction thread that I was thinking about. An awful lot of 5, 6 and even some 7 win predictions.

Wow, yours was:
"5 wins on the low side up to 8 wins if we stay healthy and catch some breaks".

Wonder if the season ends up with 5 wins if you will still say it exceeded expectations.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I just bumped the prediction thread that I was thinking about. An awful lot of 5, 6 and even some 7 win predictions.

Wow, yours was:
"5 wins on the low side up to 8 wins if we stay healthy and catch some breaks".

Wonder if the season ends up with 5 wins if you will still say it exceeded expectations.
I would say it met with my expectations. While 8 is unlikely we could get to 7 with a win in the next two games and a bowl win.

I would say it met with my expectations. While 8 is unlikely we could get to 7 with a win in the next two games and a bowl win.

Ah, adding in a bowl game. Convenient.

Bit it's true that a win in the next or both games cements a successful first year.

I do find it interesting that the team is sitting at "the low side" according to you.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Ah, adding in a bowl game. Convenient.

Bit it's true that a win in the next or both games cements a successful first year.

I do find it interesting that the team is sitting at "the low side" according to you.
I was always factoring in a bowl game assuming we got to 6 wins. I just didn’t see 8 wins in the regular season with all the issues. I thought we would win at least 1 game we weren’t favored in.
I thought it would be Missouri not Florida. Maybe we can get two more.

Wait, that would make the gamecocks the 13th out 14 sec schools.

To be fair though, UF is doing their best to wrestle 13th away from Beamer and banish him to 12th.

No, Florida is currently #13. Our records are the same and we won head to head.

If Florida beats Mizzou, we likely end up #13 unless we beat Auburn.

I saw four and dreamed of seven. But I never foresaw such a mess on offense. I projected a very unproven secondary being abused. I bet on the wrong side of the ball. Offense has a head start when plays start, which heightens the disillusionment. We have often looked completely discombobulated.

Forget about LSU and Florida for a minute. You said Vandy is Duke kind of terrible. If you want to lift up Vandy to almost terrible and lump them in with SC and Mizzou, then that would be fair. We are not a mediocre team compared to Vandy or Mizzou. We are on their level. It’s up to you if you want to throw LSU or Florida in the mix. IMO, Mizzou, Vandy or SC don’t win a game in the West.
I see Vandy as substantially worse than either Missouri or SC. They are at least a tier or 2 below the others, not on SC or Missouri's level.

1. Vandy has no SEC wins (0-6) and likely won't have any. Missouri (2-4) and SC (2-5) both have 2 SEC wins.
2. Vandy's overall record is 2-8 while SC and Missouri are both 5-5.
3. Both SC and Missouri have beaten Vandy head to head.
4. I don't know why you think SC or Missouri couldn't beat LSU. LSU is 2-5 in SEC play.

1. We beat Vandy by 1 pt at home
2. Mizzou beat Vandy by 9 pts and Vandy rushed for over 250 yds
3. Mizzou’s wins are against Vandy(see above) and SC(by 3 pts)
4. What evidence, outside of an outlier win against Florida, shows that we would line up and just beat LSU?

Last edited:
So who is second to last best just ahead of Vandy in the SEC? It will be interesting to see who wins between Fl and Mizzou tomorrow.

I predicted four, Florida was a surprise. I don't think we win either of the next two, but even then those wins would be based on a much worse Clemson team and an Auburn team coming off a bad loss without their qb. So we are about where I thought we would be. It's a three to five year project to get competitive.

1. We beat Vandy by 1 pt at home
2. Mizzou beat Vandy by 9 pts and Vandy rushed for over 250 yds
3. Mizzou’s wins are against Vandy(see above) and SC(by 3 pts)
4. What evidence, outside of an outlier win against Florida, shows that we would line up and just beat LSU?
LSU has been terrible this year. They are in a coaching transition change. A dispirited team, every bit as down in the dumps as Florida was. While neither SC or Missouri would be favored against LSU, a win by either team would certainly not be surprising. LSU just isn't good enough to say neither Missouri or SC wins a game in the West. If you are counting how many points someone is better than someone else, remember Florida is 42 points better than Vanderbilt. I am not sure your second point helps your case. You are saying Vanderbilt rushed for 250 yards and still lost by 9? In the final analysis Missouri and SC both beat Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt can't win an SEC game, and has a terrible overall record.

LSU has been terrible this year. They are in a coaching transition change. A dispirited team, every bit as down in the dumps as Florida was. While neither SC or Missouri would be favored against LSU, a win by either team would certainly not be surprising. LSU just isn't good enough to say neither Missouri or SC wins a game in the West. If you are counting how many points someone is better than someone else, remember Florida is 42 points better than Vanderbilt. I am not sure your second point helps your case. You are saying Vanderbilt rushed for 250 yards and still lost by 9? In the final analysis Missouri and SC both beat Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt can't win an SEC game, and has a terrible overall record.
I’m not sure what you are fighting for, but let’s look at reality. Vanderbilt was very competitive against SC and Mizzou. They’ve been blown out by all other SEC teams they’ve played. If SC or Mizzou were mediocre teams they would have beaten Vandy comfortably, even on their worst day.

If we beat Mizzou, I would have a very different attitude going forward. The Mizzou performance told me that the Florida game was an outlier. An anomaly. We went right back to what we’ve seen all season. The typical incompetent offense. Puzzling play calling. Inconsistent QB play. Terrible OL play. A worn out defense by the middle of the 3rd qtr. We have not played 2 games in the SEC this year that convinced me that we could beat anybody outside of Vandy or Mizzou. Well, we lost to Mizzou, the only team I was sure we could beat outside of Vandy. Why would anyone think we could line up and beat LSU, based on our performance in every single SEC game except Florida?

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you are fighting for, but let’s look at reality. Vanderbilt was very competitive against SC and Mizzou. They’ve been blown out by all other SEC teams they’ve played. If SC or Mizzou were mediocre teams they would have beaten Vandy comfortably, even on their worst day.

If we beat Mizzou, I would have a very different attitude going forward. The Mizzou performance told me that the Florida game was an outlier. An anomaly. We went right back to what we’ve seen all season. The typical incompetent offense. Puzzling play calling. Inconsistent QB play. Terrible OL play. A worn out defense by the middle of the 3rd qtr. We have not played 2 games in the SEC this year that convinced me that we could beat anybody outside of Vandy or Mizzou. Well, we lost to Mizzou, the only team I was sure we could beat outside of Vandy. Why would anyone think we could line up and beat LSU, based on our performance in every single SEC game except Florida?
But you did do it against Florida, which could have as easily been LSU. Again, I don't think SC or Missouri are good, they are just substantially better than really bad 2-8 Vanderbilt. In what world do mediocre teams usually beat other teams comfortably? Plus a 9 point victory is pretty comfortable. Even if you call Missouri and SC sub mediocre, they are still at least a standard deviation better than Vanderbilt.

But you did do it against Florida, which could have as easily been LSU. Again, I don't think SC or Missouri are good, they are just substantially better than really bad 2-8 Vanderbilt. In what world do mediocre teams usually beat other teams comfortably? Plus a 9 point victory is pretty comfortable. Even if you call Missouri and SC sub mediocre, they are still at least a standard deviation better than Vanderbilt.
But we aren't substantially better than Vanderbilt. It took a game winning drive to beat them by a point.

Reactions: lostcock
It’s called the SEC. That’s the world we live in. Every SEC team that played Vandy won with ease, except Mizzou and SC. We barely scraped by Vandy. We are on the same level as Vandy. We lost to Mizzou. This is where we are right now. This is who we are right now. We are a very bad football team.

I hope we blast Auburn like we did Florida, but that team only existed for 1 game. I don’t trust the Gamecocks to be anything more than what they have been. Going by our performance in every SEC game but 1, we’ve been a very bad football team.

It’s called the SEC. That’s the world we live in. Every SEC team that played Vandy won with ease, except Mizzou and SC. We barely scraped by Vandy. We are on the same level as Vandy. We lost to Mizzou. This is where we are right now. This is who we are right now. We are a very bad football team.

I hope we blast Auburn like we did Florida, but that team only existed for 1 game. I don’t trust the Gamecocks to be anything more than what they have been. Going by our performance in every SEC game but 1, we’ve been a very bad football team.
A different way to say that is SC is capable of occasionally having 1 good football game, even though rare, and Vanderbilt is not capable of that. That puts SC is a tier above Vandy IMHO.

But we aren't substantially better than Vanderbilt. It took a game winning drive to beat them by a point.
But you beat them. And you are 5-5 not 2-8. And you have two SEC wins and they have none. And you beat Florida by 23 and they lost by 42. I am not saying SC is good, I am saying Vanderbilt is much worse. Grouping SC with Missouri makes sense, grouping with Vanderbilt doesn't.

A different way to say that is SC is capable of occasionally having 1 good football game, even though rare, and Vanderbilt is not capable of that. That puts SC is a tier above Vandy IMHO.
I wish I felt that way, but I think it’s Mizzou, SC and Vandy duking it out at the bottom. If we had blasted Vandy and Mizzou, I would feel different. Based on how well Vandy competed against us and losing to Mizzou, I don’t see us being out of their league.

Maybe we have the potential to compete at a higher level based on the Florida win, but capable is not a word I would use to describe our team.

I wish I felt that way, but I think it’s Mizzou, SC and Vandy duking it out at the bottom. If we had blasted Vandy and Mizzou, I would feel different. Based on how well Vandy competed against us and losing to Mizzou, I don’t see us being out of their league.

Maybe we have the potential to compete at a higher level based on the Florida win, but capable is not a word I would use to describe our team.
Against common opponents SC is minus 13 points and Vanderbilt is minus 132 points.

Are you suggesting Vanderbilt is capable? In not your point about capability makes no sense. Neither team is good or capable, that doesn't mean Vanderbilt can't be a much worse team than SC.

I get you are down on your team, but I don't get why you are elevating Vanderbilt to be better than they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT