ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner just said he still feels really good about Muschamp

As mad as I am about this year, I still think firing Muschamp at the end of the season (barring a 1-10 season or something else catastrophic happening) would be a mistake. He is definitely not meeting expectations and not looking anything like a D1 Head Coach in the past two years. I just don't think we can throw that buyout money at him. That would haunt us for years to come. He is going to earn every penny this University pays him either by delivering a championship team or suffering through the next few years as a losing coach with Gamecock nation flaming his a$$ day and night; burning all his coaching credibility. I say that partly because I'm not sure I see any coaching upgrades out there- or none that we could afford if we buy Muschamp out. We're stuck with him and he's stuck with us.

I still say we can demand changes in the staff and that needs to be on the plate after the season- assuming there is no big turnaround (yuk yuk).

One thing I do see is the kids playing hard. That is really why this is heartbreaking. We have good players who play hard.

Whomever negotiated that exorbitant buyout should be let go immediately.

I did not hear this, so I’m going based on what was here. I have three things here.

One, if we are going to hold onto a coach just because fans are showing up, then I will retract what I said earlier about supporting the kids that are working their butts off. Where is essentially saying that if we show up doesn’t matter how good we are. That sure is a slap in the face to loyal fans.

Two, I really don’t know why anyone would expect Ray to have a conversation with Muschamp during the season. Those conversations should be taking place before and after.

Three, no I do not believe that Muschamp will be fired, but even if that was the plan, why would anybody expect Ray to say or indicate that at this point?

I just have to repost this from a Clemson guy earlier on the forum:

"So, UofSC is paying McClendon the same salary Clemson is paying Tony Elliot? Elliot just got raised to $1 million this year and we are 60-4 with him as our primary play caller and he has average 40 pts a game and 500 yds of offense for 4 straight years. Oh yeah, he has also won the Broyles award as the top assistant coach in America."

2-10 should get us a new staff and AD ..if Caslen has any sense...By the way, do you think Tanner knows more about quality football than you out there? I don't think so, but "he see's improvement" from when ? The season Spurrier quit ? LOL..classic formula for ruining the program...

Now what else could Ray Tanner say about the program? He cannot micromanage WM, because that would certainly not do any good. What could he say to WM that would help? Pure AD speak.

Do you expect Ray Tanner to say we have a dumpster fire at Willy B, and someone quick call 911? Now, that would be more entertaining, and probably more truthful.

Before I get into this, I don't mean for this post to come across as some sort of attack on you, I'm just pissed and Muschamp and Tanner's recent interviews have only made it worse.

I would expect Tanner (and Muschamp) to say that what we are getting is not good enough and it will get better. Then he can say what he has to say about supporting Muschamp. Instead, he's saying this is the best team we've had under Muschamp and we get your frustration but you guys just don't know what you're talking about because everything is great and it's a few plays here and there keeping us from 3-1. We lost to Missouri by 3 damn scores!

Don't feed us these bullshit lines, it reeks of undeserved arrogance and a total lack of respect for the fans who know exactly what it is that we are seeing. Our football team is failing because it is poorly coached, and our administration seems to think we're all too stupid to see it. They have no doubt that the fans will be there, because the fans are always there.

Tanner himself said everything is fine because fans are showing up, is this acceptable? Who cares about winning just as long as people showed up? Ridiculous, him and Muschamp are really getting on my nerves about this "Everything is fine just support the team, go to the game and be loud" We have been showing up and being loud, it ain't working.

I just have to repost this from a Clemson guy earlier on the forum:

"So, UofSC is paying McClendon the same salary Clemson is paying Tony Elliot? Elliot just got raised to $1 million this year and we are 60-4 with him as our primary play caller and he has average 40 pts a game and 500 yds of offense for 4 straight years. Oh yeah, he has also won the Broyles award as the top assistant coach in America."

2-10 should get us a new staff and AD ..if Caslen has any sense...By the way, do you think Tanner knows more about quality football than you out there? I don't think so, but "he see's improvement" from when ? The season Spurrier quit ? LOL..classic formula for ruining the program...
Exactly. Our expectations match what we are paying all the top coaches and assistants. No reason we should not have expected to win somewhere around 7-8 games this year.

I really hope Tanner is just being a A. Hole and is saying that right before he hires Mufchump. Im neither supporting nor encouraging being an A. Hole or A. holeish behavior,I just dont wanna believe a grown man that is responsible for important stuff is that clueless

Nah,,,,,,Will beat Kentucky.

Agreed. Kentucky, Tennessee and possibly Vanderbilt are so bad right now that they are going to gift Muschamp a win or two and save his job at the expense of the USC football programs future. Makes me hate those schools even more! Hate them for sucking!

Bottom line: Nobody is going anywhere for at least two years. It is what it is.

Agree. But Ray needs to be a little more honest along the way. I'm sure he doesn't want to rock the boat, but don't look weak and foolish.

Reactions: Brace1
Agree. But Ray needs to be a little more honest along the way. I'm sure he doesn't want to rock the boat, but don't look weak and foolish.

Yea but can you imagine if he came out and just said, yea he stinks but we ain't got the money for that right now. I'm gonna retire next year an whoever they hire for my job will get it figured out..

Can you imagine, people would be burning up them call in shows.

Yea but can you imagine if he came out and just said, yea he stinks but we ain't got the money for that right now. I'm gonna retire next year an whoever they hire for my job will get it figured out..

Can you imagine, people would be burning up them call in shows.

Definitely not. But he could allude to the fact that we aren't performing up to standards and believes Muschamp & Co. can still turn it around, etc. or something along those lines....This showering of praise and support is not believable nor is it the sign of a good leader.

Do people not realize that Muschamp's buyout doesn't have to be paid at once? Heck he was still getting paid by Florida until December 2017 when he was our coach. We can easily afford the buyout, that is not the issue here. Our rivals will just be telling our recruits that Muschamp will be fired soon don't go to SC, probably already are. 2 more years of Muschamp would set this program back years.

Do people not realize that Muschamp's buyout doesn't have to be paid at once? Heck he was still getting paid by Florida until December 2017 when he was our coach. We can easily afford the buyout, that is not the issue here. Our rivals will just be telling our recruits that Muschamp will be fired soon don't go to SC, probably already are. 2 more years of Muschamp would set this program back years.
We wouldn’t have to pay it in the first place of “make it rain” Ray didn’t offer such an absurdity to begin with. It’s easy to spend other people’s money, huh, Ray?

Much to do about nothing. Tanner isn’t going to throw Muschamp under the bus mid season. Do I think Muschamp will turn it around? No, but Tanner gains nothing by slamming him 1/4 of the way through the season. Several of you have mentioned this.

If this gets to 3-9 or worse, I expect coordinators to go at the very least and maybe even to negotiate a Muschamp buyout. 4 wins or more and he’s back no matter what. A Muschamp firing is also an admitted Tanner failing and Tanner doesn’t want to fire Muschamp unless there are no other alternatives.

Ray and Muschamp remind me of an ostrich, their heads are completely buried in the sand.

Seems that way, but I think Ray knows exactly what he's doing. He had virtually the opposite demeanor as a baseball coach, so he's either on a slew of Valium or is not being honest.

Much to do about nothing. Tanner isn’t going to throw Muschamp under the bus mid season. Do I think Muschamp will turn it around? No, but Tanner gains nothing by slamming him 1/4 of the way through the season. Several of you have mentioned this.

If this gets to 3-9 or worse, I expect coordinators to go at the very least and maybe even to negotiate a Muschamp buyout. 4 wins or more and he’s back no matter what. A Muschamp firing is also an admitted Tanner failing and Tanner doesn’t want to fire Muschamp unless there are no other alternatives.

I keep hearing people talking about these buy outs. Somebody explain how that works, if they owe Champ $22 million bucks, he ain't gonna say ok just give me $5 instead and I'll leave.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
As mad as I am about this year, I still think firing Muschamp at the end of the season (barring a 1-10 season or something else catastrophic happening) would be a mistake. He is definitely not meeting expectations and not looking anything like a D1 Head Coach in the past two years. I just don't think we can throw that buyout money at him. That would haunt us for years to come. He is going to earn every penny this University pays him either by delivering a championship team or suffering through the next few years as a losing coach with Gamecock nation flaming his a$$ day and night; burning all his coaching credibility. I say that partly because I'm not sure I see any coaching upgrades out there- or none that we could afford if we buy Muschamp out. We're stuck with him and he's stuck with us.

I still say we can demand changes in the staff and that needs to be on the plate after the season- assuming there is no big turnaround (yuk yuk).

One thing I do see is the kids playing hard. That is really why this is heartbreaking. We have good players who play hard.

Will Muschamp is an awful head coach.

We will pay the price but at least Muschamp will never get a head job again after USC.

I keep hearing people talking about these buy outs. Somebody explain how that works, if they owe Champ $22 million bucks, he ain't gonna say ok just give me $5 instead and I'll leave.
The athletic department brings in $135mil/year. Big deal if we have to go a few years only bringing in $130mil. Do what's right and cut our moron HC loose. He didn't even understand the question about Hilinski where if a WR held the ball for a split second no way it's ruled a catch. He's a meathead and Tanner is a simpleton. The only thing Ray cares about is taking advantage of our fans' loyalty. He's confirmed that now. It's time to get rid of the incompetence. No program, and especially ours, can deal with this much of it.

I'd watch that, it sounds almost threatening, and in today's climate, I'd hate to see you get arrested for something stupid like that.

Thanks for the heads up. It's pretty scary living in a world where many many people will look you straight in the eye....be it on tv or in real life and say "2+2=7" ......and they are dead serious. When I first read your post I was like.....'huh? wtf?'.....but then I started thinking about it and you're right.

In today's world, saying "Old McDonald had a farm" equals "I support ISIS" or whatever idiotic thing they want you to believe. Gone are the days of any semblance of rationality or reason. Or hell, fact for that matter.

Sick world. But even in a sick world..... starting off 1-6 means you're gonna get fired. lol. Unless they try to convince us that losing is actually the new winning......because no one likes a winner. Can't have any winners when the ultimate goal is to have everyone suck.....but equally suck. (and even that's a lie)

I'll stop. I pay attention to your posts more than others. And I damn well know you're smart enough to read between the lines of what I'm saying. Anyway, I gotta go check on my garden and cook some surf n' turf on the BGE. Peace.

I also get the buyout thing, I do, but unless you stop extending the coach so his buyout will decrease to basically nothing, you’ll always have a significant one. Good luck getting players and keeping assistants with a multi year lame duck coach. Florida still owed Moose last year (his last payment) and baby shark for probably a few more at least. Something like $13.8 million between them. Pull the trigger on both.

There’s an easy solution .. stay home , don’t buy hats and shirts , don’t donate anymore money . It’s that simple . Only thing that gets a coach fired are empty seats and no money coming into the Athletic Dept . Problem is that will never happen in a million years in Columbia .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT