ADVERTISEMENT

Regional games today

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
I HAVE to pull for the CAMPBELL CAMELS today to win against Miss State.
They are my underdogs lol.

Good luck with that. Personally, I couldn't care less what happens from here on out. Ray needs to step down from AD and go back to baseball. The current USC setup just ain't cutting it.

Some of you malcontents need to get a life. I agree Ray needs to leave as being AD. But I think Kingston is a good baseball coach. The situation he inherited from Holbrook was not even close to being good. I know for a fact that Virginia Tech and several other programs wanted to hire Mark Kingston. He really has a good reputation as being a coach amongst his peers.

Some of you malcontents need to get a life. I agree Ray needs to leave as being AD. But I think Kingston is a good baseball coach. The situation he inherited from Holbrook was not even close to being good. I know for a fact that Virginia Tech and several other programs wanted to hire Mark Kingston. He really has a good reputation as being a coach amongst his peers.
The jury is still out on Kingston. Reputation is fine but look at the results. He won at Illinois St and had a good year at USF. As you see this year, USF is capable of making a run every few years. Nothing special from Kingston at USF, they're doing just fine wo him.

We'll see if he is the right guy, next year is huge IMO. He came here praising saber metrics and analytics but he is clearly hedging on that now. You gotta be committed to an overall strategy, regardless of the approach. No half way.

Like another poster said, we never play small ball. Both ODU and Va played some small ball. It adds stress to your pitchers and ups their pitch count. I don't understand why we stand and gaze at first pitch strikes. Especially when you know the pitcher is first pitch pounding the zone. It looks like our guys are not taught to pick up the spin on the ball. They don't appear to have a clue on their approach to the AB. That's on coaching.

Reactions: mavcock
Like another poster said, we never play small ball. Both ODU and Va played some small ball. It adds stress to your pitchers and ups their pitch count. I don't understand why we stand and gaze at first pitch strikes. Especially when you know the pitcher is first pitch pounding the zone. It looks like our guys are not taught to pick up the spin on the ball. They don't appear to have a clue on their approach to the AB. That's on coaching.
I think swinging at the first pitch no matter what especially our roughly .200 hitters is an awful strategy. Hard to get to ball 4 if you swing at the first pitch. We had a 4 and a 5 pitch inning in the games we lost. Hard to win when you gift their starting pitchers, who you can't hit anyway an extra inning.

Reactions: mavcock
I don’t think anything can be definitively determined on Kingston. There’s some cause for optimism, some cause for concern, and some cause to cut bait. One or two more years should tell the story.

As for the mess he inherited: yeah, that was 4 years ago. You have the facilities, tradition, infrastructure, and support to turn things around quickly here. Time to get it done or get out.

I'm glad I'm still watching a little bit or I may have missed the fantastic home run robbing catch by the S Alabama leftfielder earlier today. No. 1 Sportscenter play for sure.

Reactions: uscedge21
I think swinging at the first pitch no matter what especially our roughly .200 hitters is an awful strategy. Hard to get to ball 4 if you swing at the first pitch. We had a 4 and a 5 pitch inning in the games we lost. Hard to win when you gift their starting pitchers, who you can't hit anyway an extra inning.
When the pitcher is pounding the first strike in, why not swing at it? It's strike one anyway and may be the best pitch you may see.

When the pitcher is pounding the first strike in, why not swing at it? It's strike one anyway and may be the best pitch you may see.
No, the best pitch you see if from the middle relievers we'd have seen had we not had 4 and 5 pitch innings against guys we couldn't get hits off of.

The jury is still out on Kingston. Reputation is fine but look at the results. He won at Illinois St and had a good year at USF. As you see this year, USF is capable of making a run every few years. Nothing special from Kingston at USF, they're doing just fine wo him.

We'll see if he is the right guy, next year is huge IMO. He came here praising saber metrics and analytics but he is clearly hedging on that now. You gotta be committed to an overall strategy, regardless of the approach. No half way.
I wish I could co-sign this, but I can only endorse it.

• Haha
Reactions: JamesRob
No, the best pitch you see if from the middle relievers we'd have seen had we not had 4 and 5 pitch innings against guys we couldn't get hits off of.
You saw the strike zones this season..do you think the really good pitchers were gonna waste pitches when they got 3 or 4 inches off the plate pretty consistently. If the first pitch is in the wheelhouse I’m all for swinging at it.

You saw the strike zones this season..do you think the really good pitchers were gonna waste pitches when they got 3 or 4 inches off the plate pretty consistently. If the first pitch is in the wheelhouse I’m all for swinging at it.
I gotta agree. If it's that good, swing. I'm going to be a lot more ticked if the pitch is a beauty and the bat is left on the shoulder.

Hunt fastballs, always. The first pitch you see may be the best one that you see, and if it is, hit it. Mental approach is critical, have a plan when you go to the plate. I didn't see much of that this year out of our hitters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT