ADVERTISEMENT

Sad news for old school "wrestling" fans.

That guy is a blast from the past. I grew up watching wrestling and remember that guy, he was a little before my time though. It sucks seeing icons from my childhood passing away or just falling in hard times in bad health. Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Road Warriors, etc...

I would reccomend the Conrad Thompson podcasts with Tony Schiavone and Arn Anderson for JCP fans too
The tony podcast is all about 1986. The best year in JIm Crockett promotions history if you were a teenager in the 80s like me . It's pretty interesting . And I listen to the Arn show every other week. They have a question and answer show.

That guy is a blast from the past. I grew up watching wrestling and remember that guy, he was a little before my time though. It sucks seeing icons from my childhood passing away or just falling in hard times in bad health. Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Road Warriors, etc...
Shoot, man, I go all the way back to Crockett Sr.,who was promoting "wrasslin" back in the 1950s, mainly around Charlotte. Park Center and the original Charlotte Coliseum.

Monday night wrestling at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium and another night at Spartanburg every week. Saturdays on tv. The characters were bigger than life. Rowdy Roddy, Valentine, Flair, the Andersons, Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes and as Dusty called him "The Ball Bearing" (Barbarian). Wrestling was a big draw in the textile towns then. No walk up music. Guys were brawlers or "scientific " wrestlers. Magnum TA was the first "face". Crowds sat close to the action and interacted with the wrestlers. I remember seeing Andre the first time. I could not believe he was that freaking huge.

Grew up at the Township and still listen to Jim Cornette’s podcast all of the time. His Q&A sessions are fun and it is interesting to still hear stories from when people really took wrestling seriously.

Cornette talked about Crockett, Jr on his recent show and told a story about how after they sold to TBS the Crockett brothers tried to start up again in Texas. Cornette said he was talking to him about booking some shows and Crockett was ringing up people at the ice cream shop he had opened. Multi tasking at its finest.

Bob Caudle.....The old shows were taped in Raleigh studio.A good friend of mine lived in Charlotte in the 70's in the same neighborhood alot of wrestlers lived in.He used to see Rick Flair and Blackjack Mulligan who were neighbors out at their mailboxes in their bathrobes talking.Then that night they'd beat the living hell out of each other in wrasslin'fashion.Great stuff.

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Rick Flair was one of the best of those shows.Kind of sad in a way as most of the wrestlers had a "ring persona" ,but retreated to a private life.Flair was Flair 100% of the time.His wrestling character became his life.It's a true wonder he is still alive.

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Rick Flair was one of the best of those shows.Kind of sad in a way as most of the wrestlers had a "ring persona" ,but retreated to a private life.Flair was Flair 100% of the time.His wrestling character became his life.It's a true wonder he is still alive.
I'm Ric Flair! The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun! and he was and still is. He used to hang out at Firebird's in Charlotte. Very approachable if you had boobs.

Grew up at the Township and still listen to Jim Cornette’s podcast all of the time. His Q&A sessions are fun and it is interesting to still hear stories from when people really took wrestling seriously.

Cornette talked about Crockett, Jr on his recent show and told a story about how after they sold to TBS the Crockett brothers tried to start up again in Texas. Cornette said he was talking to him about booking some shows and Crockett was ringing up people at the ice cream shop he had opened. Multi tasking at its finest.

Once you get past Cornette's political views his show is fantastic. The guy has such a great mind for the business and hooks me everytime he starts on old wrestling stories. Not really a fan of Brian Last as he is a little too Northern for me, but Corny is so great

The tony podcast is all about 1986. The best year in JIm Crockett promotions history if you were a teenager in the 80s like me . It's pretty interesting . And I listen to the Arn show every other week. They have a question and answer show.

Yes their decision to go week by week for 86 was a great idea. That's the year I really became a fan. Late in 85 when Flair and the Andersons broke Dusty's leg in the cage is what got my attention, but 86 was so amazing. I will even say the lower card feuds like Black Bart vs Sam Houston, The Hair Wars between Boogie and Paul Jones' Army, and Wahoo vs Jimmy Garvin were better than anything in 2021

Reactions: Brace1
Yes their decision to go week by week for 86 was a great idea. That's the year I really became a fan. Late in 85 when Flair and the Andersons broke Dusty's leg in the cage is what got my attention, but 86 was so amazing. I will even say the lower card feuds like Black Bart vs Sam Houston, The Hair Wars between Boogie and Paul Jones' Army, and Wahoo vs Jimmy Garvin were better than anything in 2021
"Broke Dustys leg" .

giphy.gif

Are they more focused on the shows they are covering now? I stopped listening because they got too much into Tony making comments to sell merchandise.

Not Crockett but I loved coming home and seeing World Class on ESPN. The Freebirds vs Von Erichs and later Buddy Roberts vs Iceman Parsons with the hair cream were amazing. It was so funny to see almost identical things being done on two separate shows since one was regional and one was national.

Two Ton Harris was my favorite heel. I think his ring record was about 0-456.But he almost had them in every match.When he a guy in a headlock and looked at the camera and said "I got'em now!".You knew the other guy was about to flip the script and admisinster a major ass cuttin!

I'm Ric Flair! The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun! and he was and still is. He used to hang out at Firebird's in Charlotte. Very approachable if you had boobs.
I saw Flair a few years ago at the piano bar at Broadway at the beach, with his then girlfriend. Everyone called for him to come up on the stage, and he did. Proceeded to drop his pants and strut across the stage a few times with the customary "whoo, whoo, whoooo" I loved it. Truly an entertainer. He used to make me so mad when I was a kid watching him on Saturday mornings.
I also saw him one time at a Panthers game. He was in the concours. He had injured his knee. Some NY Giants fans were sitting behind us, and they were like " hey man Flair is in the lounge and letting people take pics with him" They all got up and ran up there to get a picture with him. He was very gracious with everyone who wanted to get a picture with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff2001
I got to see Ronnie "Hands of Stone" Garvin and Magnum TA in Conway High School Gym one time. My dad took me and said he didnt have enough money on him for both of us to get in so he paid my way and went to the ATM (so he said) and didnt come back for 2 1/2 hrs. He went and hung out with some of his friends nearby and worked on cars. When we got home and my mom found out he left me at a professional wrasslin event by myself at 8 yrs old, she flipped. I thought it was going to be his last night on earth.

I remember the Great Bolo, Abe jacobs, Two Ton Harris. I'm getting too old!
You're my kind of man. At the WBTV studios in Charlotte, The Great Bolo accidentally threw Mike Clancy out of the ring onto a concrete floor several feet below . Mike actually sustained some unintended serious injuries. He was in the hospital for awhile. Good stuff right there.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
Most of the old stars have had one foot in the grave for a while now. The papers should have a Wrastlin Remembrance page as part of the Obituaries section.
Honestly I thought Flair would have died years ago

I remember taking my son and one of his friends to the Township one day in the middle of the summer. We got out of the car and saw Ric Fair walking across the parking lot dressed in a heavily starched long sleeve white shirt and a pair of black dress pants. To me he looked like a solid 180 pounds.

I remember the Great Bolo, Abe jacobs, Two Ton Harris. I'm getting too old!
Haystacks Calhoun, Tex McKenzie, Sir Nelson Royal, Aldo Bogni, Bronco Lukovitch, Colonel Homer O'Dell, Scott Brothers, Skull Murphy, Brute Bernard, Johnny Weaver, George Becker....Yeah, I loved me some Rasslin!

Reactions: king ward
Anyone on here remember Rip Hawk and Swede Hanson, Antonio Rocca, Ole Anderson, Haystack Calhoun, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Weaver
Ole was the only one that was still around when I got into wrestling. I know all of the other names and have seen clips but they were a bit before my time. As much as my Dad disliked wrestling he was a big Haystack fan. He didn’t care much for the matches but thought the feats of strength he would do were amazing.

Shoot, man, I go all the way back to Crockett Sr.,who was promoting "wrasslin" back in the 1950s, mainly around Charlotte. Park Center and the original Charlotte Coliseum.

lol....me too. I remember watching George Becker and Johnny Weaver along with Wahoo McDaniel, Sam Steamboat (not Ricky), Mr Wrestlin, Haystack Calhoun, etc. Fun times. My brother worked concessions at Spartanburg Auditorium. He laughed at how wreslers would have grudge matches and then be playing cards together after the show.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT