ADVERTISEMENT

Sick of so called sports writers

jimnasium

Jun 21, 2001
Bladenboro, NC
Too many of them never played the game, never took a football hit, but seem to know all there is to know about playing or coaching. All it really takes is having the balls to put something stupid in a newspaper and to stand by it. They're like movie critics after a bad movie slobbering from both sides of their mouth waiting to give an opinion. They use the poison pen to insult and predict outcomes but the bottom line is it's just an opinion from some pencil neck wanna be. They wouldn't know how to properly wear a jock strap and they make me sick. Listen you pen pushers, knowing how many downs to takes to achieve a first down doesn't mean you know jack squat about how to get the first down. They evaluate this, and question that, from behind a keyboard as if what they say actually means something. Man I hate it when they call for coaches to be fired or some player they don't even know to be replaced! They have the easiest job in the world the cowards. Now (sigh) I feel better.

Too many of them never played the game, never took a football hit, but seem to know all there is to know about playing or coaching. All it really takes is having the balls to put something stupid in a newspaper and to stand by it. They're like movie critics after a bad movie slobbering from both sides of their mouth waiting to give an opinion. They use the poison pen to insult and predict outcomes but the bottom line is it's just an opinion from some pencil neck wanna be. They wouldn't know how to properly wear a jock strap and they make me sick. Listen you pen pushers, knowing how many downs to takes to achieve a first down doesn't mean you know jack squat about how to get the first down. They evaluate this, and question that, from behind a keyboard as if what they say actually means something. Man I hate it when they call for coaches to be fired or some player they don't even know to be replaced! They have the easiest job in the world the cowards. Now (sigh) I feel better.
Speaking of people behind keyboards!!

Leeches...and they're multiplying every year it seems with the advent of new technology. Anyone that wants can start the own sensationalist "Enquirer" type website or blog, sell ads and suck people in to read it.

Okay! You like guys with big jock straps! Calm down! You are allowed to feel that way! I won't judge!

I couldn't agree more. Many of these clueless guys are also the ones voting on how many stars to give recruits. And there are many people that hang on every word of these guys and treat "stars" as some sort of gospel.

I couldn't agree more. Many of these clueless guys are also the ones voting on how many stars to give recruits. And there are many people that hang on every word of these guys and treat "stars" as some sort of gospel.

Yeah stars don't mean anything at all. It's a miracle that Alabama, Ohio St, Florida St., LSU, etc. have good teams given they choose to recruit so many 5 star guys. Guess they didn't get the memo that stars don't matter. Amazing our best years in our history came when we had Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, Alshon, Holloman, Ingram, Culliver, Davis, Sanders, etc. With all those high 4 and 5 star players we really lucked out to have great teams.

Stars may not guarantee you will win championship, but not having them will guarantee you won't.

Yeah stars don't mean anything at all. It's a miracle that Alabama, Ohio St, Florida St., LSU, etc. have good teams given they choose to recruit so many 5 star guys. Guess they didn't get the memo that stars don't matter. Amazing our best years in our history came when we had Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, Alshon, Holloman, Ingram, Culliver, Davis, Sanders, etc. With all those high 4 and 5 star players we really lucked out to have great teams.

Stars may not guarantee you will win championship, but not having them will guarantee you won't.
First you have to understand the business - and it is just that, a business. These sites are not in the business to predict great talent and great teams. They are in the business to make money and they make money by selling subscriptions to people who do not know any better. The great teams are not great because they recruit the most stars, but rather the players recruited by the best teams have the most stars. Why do you think so many players' star rating somehow changes in the month of June? Did they suddenly become great without playing a single game? Of course not. The ratings change based on who is recruiting or signing the players, and June is one of the most active months. Since Alabama always has a great team, they must be signing the best players, right? So many of their recruits are rated higher. Have you ever heard Saban say he recruits based on stars? Actually, he and almost every other D-1 coach (including Spurrier) have said at one time or another that they pay no attention to stars. They evaluate the talent they see independently.

In addition to the few players you mentioned above, the vast majority of the guys who helped us to winning seasons were 2 and 3 star guys. Players like DJ Swearinger, Darien Stewart, Captain Munnerlyn, Ko Simpson, The Brinkley Brothers, Eric Norwood, Connor Shaw, etc, were all 2 and 3 star recruits. Bruce Ellington was not even a football recruit and he helped us as much as any other player we've had. Of the players you mentioned, I'd say they had less impact than the others for the most part. As much as I love Marcus Lattimore, he really did not play that much here as he was injured so much, so he contributed a lot less than we had hoped. Also, Chris Culliver was a highly rated star player and he got burned deep more than any other DB we had at the time.

Don't be fooled by the "star masters". It is a "chicken and egg" thing.

Please tell me you're joking.

First you have to understand the business - and it is just that, a business. These sites are not in the business to predict great talent and great teams. They are in the business to make money and they make money by selling subscriptions to people who do not know any better. The great teams are not great because they recruit the most stars, but rather the players recruited by the best teams have the most stars. Why do you think so many players' star rating somehow changes in the month of June? Did they suddenly become great without playing a single game? Of course not. The ratings change based on who is recruiting or signing the players, and June is one of the most active months. Since Alabama always has a great team, they must be signing the best players, right? So many of their recruits are rated higher. Have you ever heard Saban say he recruits based on stars? Actually, he and almost every other D-1 coach (including Spurrier) have said at one time or another that they pay no attention to stars. They evaluate the talent they see independently.

In addition to the few players you mentioned above, the vast majority of the guys who helped us to winning seasons were 2 and 3 star guys. Players like DJ Swearinger, Darien Stewart, Captain Munnerlyn, Ko Simpson, The Brinkley Brothers, Eric Norwood, Connor Shaw, etc, were all 2 and 3 star recruits. Bruce Ellington was not even a football recruit and he helped us as much as any other player we've had. Of the players you mentioned, I'd say they had less impact than the others for the most part. As much as I love Marcus Lattimore, he really did not play that much here as he was injured so much, so he contributed a lot less than we had hoped. Also, Chris Culliver was a highly rated star player and he got burned deep more than any other DB we had at the time.

Don't be fooled by the "star masters". It is a "chicken and egg" thing.

If you actually believe that, I don't even know what to say to you. And most of the players you listed, didn't play from 2010 to 2013. You know, our best years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT