ADVERTISEMENT

So Clowney and Dez don't think Tebow deserves a chance in the NFL

I know this is just you being ignorant but I'll tell you what you can actually do. Acknowledging white privilege isn't about being less white. It's about recognizing how you or I or others, as white men, have been avoiding certain privileges in life, even when we were unaware of them, and how we can use those to help improve the lives of other marginalized groups.

I think you have a point, but not necessarily right. There are still a lot of raw feelings over the Kaepernick issue. Guys, are still going to play because they want their check, but deep down they agree with what Kap did. So, unfortunately Tebow is in the cross-hairs of that. However, his name could be Joe Schmoe. Kap’s name is going to get brought anytime players feel a guy is getting an undeserved opportunity. Kap’s name gets brought up when marginal Black QBs like Josh Johnson get signed. So, some of this foreseeable if you are being honest about it. Not saying that it is fair. It’s just something that is going to happen. Tebow balls and it goes away. That’s what is really important.
I think it goes away whether he balls or busts.

I know this is just you being ignorant but I'll tell you what you can actually do. Acknowledging white privilege isn't about being less white. It's about recognizing how you or I or others, as white men, have been avoiding certain privileges in life, even when we were unaware of them, and how we can use those to help improve the lives of other marginalized groups.
I’ll tell you what you can do with that BS. Sit on it and rotate. I grew up working as a child. My parents had a list for chores to do as far back as I can remember including hard yard work. From eleven to sixteen I worked farm labor in SC heat in tobacco and all sorts of other things. I then worked at a restaurant until I went to the military. I served and when I got out I worked 50 to 60 hours a week and took on average 21 credits a semester and graduated with a BS degree and two Masters degrees and worked two careers in business and education. I was the first one in my family to go to college. I busted my butt all of my life for everything I got in life and served many along the way so you can take your woke theory with you on your long walk off of a short pier. Do us a favor and carry a couple buckets of chum with you on that wall.

Technically speaking, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution affords us all that right.
Technically speaking, you are entirely wrong. Please don't toss around the First Amendment as a way to shut up private criticism of what somebody says. It applies to government restrictions on speech. ONLY. "Congress shall make no law . . . ." The Supreme Court, after the ratification of the 14th amendment after the Civil War, concluded that the due process clause "incorporated" most of the Bill of Rights amendments to make them apply to the States. But not to private actors.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did get my law license in the late 1970s.

I’ll tell you what you can do with that BS. Sit on it and rotate. I grew up working as a child. My parents had a list for chores to do as far back as I can remember including hard yard work. From eleven to sixteen I worked farm labor in SC heat in tobacco and all sorts of other things. I then worked at a restaurant until I went to the military. I served and when I got out I worked 50 to 60 hours a week and took on average 21 credits a semester and graduated with a BS degree and two Masters degrees and worked two careers in business and education. I was the first one in my family to go to college. I busted my butt all of my life for everything I got in life and served many along the way so you can take your woke theory with you on your long walk off of a short pier. Do us a favor and carry a couple buckets of chum with you on that wall.
Wow....very aggressive.

Congrats on all that. Also, its very doubtful any of those challenges you impressively overcame were due to the color of your skin.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
The point is if Tim Tebow was green, black or purple he would still not deserve another shot at the NFL. I am a Jet fan, he was awful, could not catch a pass in practice and could barely handle a snap under center. So yes Dez Bryant may be able to evaluate a pass catcher better than folks on this board and J Clowney as a Gamecock should never be taking criticism in favor of an overrated system QB Gator!

The point is if Tim Tebow was green, black or purple he would still not deserve another shot at the NFL. I am a Jet fan, he was awful, could not catch a pass in practice and could barely handle a snap under center. So yes Dez Bryant may be able to evaluate a pass catcher better than folks on this board and J Clowney as a Gamecock should never be taking criticism in favor of an overrated system QB Gator!

All that aside, Jax has the right to sign whoever they want, correct?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Personally, I think it is a ridiculous, childish issue that has been taken too far on both sides. I wouldn’t protest in that fashion, however, I don’t think a guy should lose his career over it either. I don’t think pledging allegiance to a song should be prerequisite for playing football. I understand that people may be upset over the gesture. However, there are other things like Felony DUI and Dog Fighting conspiracies and we seemed to get over that. I sort of blame the owner on this as their wealth should make them leaders and they turned into cowardly followers. Branch Rickey was threatened that people would boycott his games if he played Jackie Robinson too. He challenged that idle threat and it changed the country. Where the players are wrong is keeping this going when this ship of Kap playing has sailed. They should have sat a game or two when they had the chance. However, Kap coming back now is about as ridiculous as Tebow playing TE just because he is big and in shape.

DING, DING!

Finally someone gets the Kaepernick situation. There’s blame at every level and a lack of leadership from the league and player’s association.

Day 2 of the Kap sit down which became kneeling after speaking to some veterans should have been a meeting with team ownership and eventually league leadership ... what are you trying to accomplish? There are numerous programs within the NFL to expend energy for what you see as inequality. A huge missed opportunity there. IMO. NFLPA is as weak and ineffective as the NCAA.

All the players mouthing off since should have formed some solidarity THEN ... they were scared for their livelihood with the lack of egalitarianism by owners, can’t blame the easily replaced foot soldiers/players.

Kap thing is history now until someone more talented decide to bring activism to the sports stage.

Now to Tebow....man, I remember being in Gold’s gym in the early aughts. There was so many athletes working there butts off trying to get a ‘tryout’ at the league. You can’t just show up like high school. There is definitely going to be ‘blood in the water’ when a 33 yo, already had a couple of shots, went off to play BB, finally moving to TE promptly blocking some 22 yo trying to get a shot from getting a shot.

So Clowney and Dez are just saying what many others are thinking. Don’t disregard the message. Won’t change what Jacksonville is going to do. But at least they got the balls to say it now.

Sure Khan the owner does, might also have something to do with why they are picking first or in the top 5 every year.

I don't think anyone's arguing that it makes a ton of sense. But from Jax's perspective if they move forward on it, it's a low-risk, low-cost move. They're rolling the dice on someone who's a gifted athlete and has minimal wear/tear on his body. Worst case scenario, Tebow bombs out in practices and gets cut. If they were to get any production from him, it's a bonus.

Here's the deal: it's the NFL and if the man can't play he won't make a team. If he can help a team, that team will sign him. I think most people understand what's really at play here.
Yep...Tebow is like an UDFA....just a guy getting a shot to make the team. My bet is he gets cut, but we may be surprised.

Why does he or any other player have a “right” to say who other teams should or should not sign?
He didn’t say that Clowney has any right to say who does or not get a job on another team- he said he has a right to his OPINION. Those are drastically different statements. We are all entitled to our own opinions (despite the current climate in America today where people feel they have to try to destroy anyone whose opinion differs from their own), and we all also have the right to completely ignore the opinions of others as the Jags will ignore the opinions of Bryant and Clowney.

Reactions: funktavious
Maybe it was mentioned somewhere in three pages of posts but I didn't see it in the first 20 or so I skimmed through and thought it might be worth noting to the folks who have been saying that he needs to keep his mouth shut: Clowney didn't "say" or "write" anything. He reposted Dez Bryant's Instagram post without comment, nothing more. Clickbait sites then ran with the concept that he "appeared to" or was "seemingly" upset by Tebow's signing. It's much ado about nothing.

I fail to see why so many people are raging over Tebow getting signed. It was a 1 year deal worth nothing. NFL teams get to have 90 players during preseason so It's doubtful he's taking anyone's spot on the roster. If he turns out to be productive then Meyer looks like a genius, otherwise it was a coach giving one of his old players a shot to make a team. This isn't the first time this has happened...Lord

This post highlights you don't understand what white privilege is. It doesn't mean you don't work hard or haven't earned what you have. All it means is you don't have to/haven't had to worry about being inconvenienced in life due to the color of your skin.

This post highlights you don't understand what white privilege is. It doesn't mean you don't work hard or haven't earned what you have. All it means is you don't have to/haven't had to worry about being inconvenienced in life due to the color of your skin.
white fragility is something

The part I find so funny is that you all assume every person had a easy or hard life because of their skin color when in reality you paint with a broad brush and no nothing of the individual ease or struggles any particular person had in life. It is just more Commie excuse making for people who have failed in life and another way to effectively divide people into different competing groups based on race, gender, wealth, etc...

Reactions: Cybercock
The part I find so funny is that you all assume every person had a easy or hard life because of their skin color when in reality you paint with a broad brush and no nothing of the individual ease or struggles any particular person had in life. It is just more Commie excuse making for people who have failed in life and another way to effectively divide people into different competing groups based on race, gender, wealth, etc...
This person also doesn't understand either.

I love it, “black Americans have a harder time to succeed - there are a ton of data that supports it”
“COMMMMMMIEE
E

EEEEEEE”

• Haha
So if you are WHITE AND GUILTY, then you are helping marginalized people. Wow. Thank you for accepting my NON GUILT. I have observed in my 76years that successful BLACK FRIENDS AND WHITE FRIENDS all made it on their own merits.😁

I love it, “black Americans have a harder time to succeed - there are a ton of data that supports it”
“COMMMMMMIEE
E

EEEEEEE”
In fact, there are all kinds of studies that indicate that a white male with a felony on his record has the same chance of receiving a call back for employment as a similarly situated black male with no criminal record. So, in essence, being black in America is akin to starting off with a felony on his record. This coming from a 54 year old black business owner that has two degrees from USC and has done pretty well. So, stating facts is not always race-baiting or bellyaching because you haven't done well.

Tell your black friends that they have never faced barriers because the color of their skin
I have been told to, and promoted black people with less qualifications over white people because HR would not approve the promotion because the numbers were needed. Anyone in management in the last 40+ years Will tell you that. Was that fair to the WHITE PERSON?

I have been told to, and promoted black people with less qualifications over white people because HR would not approve the promotion because the numbers were needed. Anyone in management in the last 40+ years Will tell you that. Was that fair to the WHITE PERSON?
Can you guess why you have been told to do that? I’ll answer it because studies have shown they are much likely (with same exact qualifications) to be passed over for promotions.

I know it’s hard to believe but subconsciously (or deliberately) the average white person is more likely to promote a white person than a black person (or hire, or rent a home, or a ton of other things )

these are hard truths but metastudies have shown it to be true

I mean you are admitting it that you promote more white people than black people at your work at a number that is not acceptable.

why do you think that is?

Reactions: USC2USC
Can you guess why you have been told to do that? I’ll answer it because studies have shown they are much likely (with same exact qualifications) to be passed over for promotions.

I know it’s hard to believe but subconsciously (or deliberately) the average white person is more likely to promote a white person than a black person (or hire, or rent a home, or a ton of other things )

these are hard truths but metastudies have shown it to be true
Federal jobs do this Social Engineering. The only reason. Would you promote a white person over a black person because of your subconscious Whiteness? If you would you are wrong. If you look at all God's people the same you don't have to worry about you subconscious. It's not hard. This isn't theory. It's called doing the right thing. Promoting to get a theoretical number set by someone in Washington D.C. is not doing the right thing to all people.

Federal jobs do this Social Engineering. The only reason. Would you promote a white person over a black person because of your subconscious Whiteness? If you would you are wrong. If you look at all God's people the same you don't have to worry about you subconscious. It's not hard. This isn't theory. It's called doing the right thing. Promoting to get a theoretical number set by someone in Washington D.C. is not doing the right thing to all people.
Why do you think studies show this isn’t the case then?

That people do it very often.

Why do you think you didn’t promote enough black people to an acceptable rate?

Subconscious means you don’t know you are doing the wrong thing, how can you do the right thing if you aren’t aware you are doing wrong?

Last edited:
All the steps of civil rights one of the largest barriers are a bunch of good intentioned white people who refuse to realize they contribute to the problem

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT